Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
Has anyone here seen Doko Roko on Kickstarter? It seems to be it's more of a rogue-lite than a roguelike, but so far it looks really pretty, and it's already been funded with 10 days to go. Can anyone with more experience in these matters spot any obvious "this isn't going to get made" red flags, or can I throw some of my money at it without reservation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

When Dungeonmans was being kickstarted four people helped raise funds by quad-streaming a simultaneous race to level 10. One of them figured out that (at the time) overworld encounters of a sufficient level would always spawn a Champion, so she'd grind out plains battles in a mid level area and fight tons of easy champions for proofs. She'd sit there yelling at the screen something like "come on come on come on get out here so I can kill you all" etc. Her handle is Xespera.

Oh, man, that's a great story. Is that where the idea for the scroll came from? Do any other items in the game take similar inspiration from early players?

NAME REDACTED fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 5, 2017

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

resistentialism posted:

I've been playing a couple of these twinstick shooter rougelikes, which are something I haven't really touched before. I don't know if this is a complaint or just a personal design quirk, but: are there any of these games that minimize having things shoot at you from off screen?

I'm going to put in what I think is the first time this game has been recommended in this thread - Monolith. I don't think it's as good as Nuclear Throne, but for a first release it feels remarkably polished. It does the same sort of thing as Isaac and Flamebreak where all the fights happen in arenas no bigger than the screen, but there's enough variety in enemies and weapon types that it hasn't felt repetitive yet. It does the BoI thing where hitting in-game achievements unlocks new equipment, but you have to choose to unlock them with persistent in-game currency, so I think you can completely ignore that if you don't want any of that. It's new enough that the developer hasn't been able to put it on sale on Steam this summer, but it's pretty cheap regardless.

Also it looks very pretty.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
Winter Steam Sale just started, and I discovered I already own most of the rogue likes that were on my wishlist that were popular in this thread two or three years ago. What's come out since Tangledeep that's worth checking out? I'm already considering Children of Morta, but that's the only one I know about.