Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

I somehow totally missed the thread change over. Well gently caress.

Actual content: gently caress IVAN

Edit: vvvv Polymorph Ring death reppin'.

Lilli fucked around with this message at Oct 27, 2013 around 02:29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

dis astranagant posted:

Your gear was terrible. Levitation is a requirement.

You can survive with fire resistance. I've set off three adjacent land mines with just a cloak of FR on and survived it. That being said, FR, levitation, or a ring of searching and a lot of patience is pretty much a must have for Gloomy Caves.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is literally everything I wanted.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Knowing that the shrine of rhythm will kill you if you miss a beat would be nice to know before you click the shrine. First time I hit it I didnt even know why I died and I had forgotten I hit the shrine on the previous floor. Also some way to let players know what items do that isnt guessing and checking would be nice.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, c'mon, it's a roguelike! Try them out and see what happens! Games don't need to be totally transparent to be fun.

I agree, but Ive never thought instant death mechanics are fun, especially with no way to know beforehand without reading a wiki.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

This is a really fun game, but holy poo poo I am not good at it. I finally beat zone 3 though, the boss is surprisingly easy considering how difficult I found the levels. I think if I ever run it on hardcore I'm going to find a weapon and then just dive past everything else.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

So Ive been away from my computer lately which means Ive been trying mobile roguelikes. Is Hoplite made by the same group of people who did Brogue? Lots of similarities between the two (in a good way) but much more distilled down into a few base concepts. I 'beat' it after a few mishappen trial runs when figuring out an upgrade path I liked. I havent tried descending past floor 16, but overall its a good way to waste a few minutes to blitz through some neat tactical combat.

Im feeling a little more frustrated with Pixel Dungeons. I might just be playing it poorly, but the food timer seems very short. I know theres a ration on every floor, but a ration doesnt seem like enough to fully explore a floor. That combined with combat feeling very dangerous if you dive quickly leaves me feeling kind of frustrated. I might just be missing something - I only just started playing it and didn't read any spoilers. Anyone have any advice or want to tell me why Im dumb and bad?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

I finally got around to giving Sproggiwood a try. I actually managed to die in Big Ick's dungeon because on the third floor I found a scroll of summoning (that I used instantly since my consumable slot was full) and as a result a bunch of dimensional doors opened up that started spawning giants that hit fairly hard (~12 damage when most things were hitting for 2-3 at that point) and more doors kept popping open quicker than I could close them. What exactly happened there, is that just a potential side effect of scrolls of summoning or did I get screwed by the RNG somehow?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

While Im asking about Sproggiwood, is there an android client I can download? I know its intent was to be released on mobile, but I only instinctively knew where to get the steam client.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Unormal posted:

Not at the moment. We're focusing on the PC version up until its release, the android and iOS versions have been languishing because we just have only so much time for QA, and PC's coming first. We'll do the android and iOS releases in the months following the Steam release.

Okay, thanks! I just wanted to make sure since I figured testing on the mobile platform would probably be more useful than the steam client due to more diversity of platforms with mobile clients.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

I remember at some point people in this thread talked about NEO Scavenger and advice on solid starts, but I can't find it again. So I guess does anyone have any suggestions for it or can repost the relevant stuff?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Hey, I haven't been playing roguelikes recently or reading this thread, but I just read that Caves of Qud had a tile version in beta and that's made me want to start playing again. Is there anyway folks can buy into the beta? I've been itching to play CoQ again anyways.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Helical Nightmares posted:

We are all anxious for CoQ

Edit: I recommend a True Man for your first CoQ experience

Oh no, I played a bunch of CoQ before. Im definitely rolling an esper next time I play it.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

CountingWizard posted:

I don't know why you guys find it so important to play an unfinished game, it will totally ruin the full experience when it is finally finished.

To be fair Caves of Qud is a game that has existed for nearly a decade now and many of us thoroughly enjoy the game. If having already played it is going to ruin the experience we're well past the point of ruining it.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

So Ive been messing around in Caves of Qud and just finished up with Golgatha. Is there anywhere you can reliably find warm clothes? I dont really want to freeze to death in Bethesda Susa, and Ive never really gotten this far before. Is there anything else besides staying warm that I should be aware of or to watch out for? Playing a max ego esper for reference.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

What the christ?

I literally walked down a shaft in golgatha to go get some stuff I had to leave behind and this happened the turn I walked down. What the gently caress happened?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

I just started a new game in Caves of Qud and not more than three turns into it Warden Ualraig murdered Mehmet, the watervine farmer who gives you the starting quest. What

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Post in here with the thread goes up with a link. Ive got a few games I can beat that I wouldnt mind LPing, including IVAN.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

How do you even play DoomRL without sound? That poo poo is so helpful.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Unormal posted:

Try it on Savage

I tried savage difficulty and Im regretting it immensely. I was able to pretty reliably clear normal, but this is painful.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

I'm not having any issues.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Items provide a feeling of progression, as your character goes from being weak to being strong. There are other ways to provide progression without significantly impacting the player's power level, though. You can increase the complexity of the environments they explore (as well as simply changing the environments, e.g. surface -> caves -> volcano, so at least the player isn't moving through the same kind of area over and over again). You can change the monsters they face, fiddle with their AI, etc. Necrodancer is a fantastic example of this as a Zone 4 monster isn't more powerful on paper than a Zone 1 monster, but they have more complicated behaviors. You can raise the stakes involved; say that failure in the first region "sets you back" in the metagame less than failure in the fourth region does. Of course you'll have more time invested in the latter case anyway, so the stakes are automatically raised.

Less friendly to roguelikes, you can also reward the player with bits of plot, nice scenery, cutscenes, new music, special animations, etc. All of this is expensive to produce and/or only "useful" once for player motivation, hence why I said it's not so roguelike-friendly.

Finally, to the extent that most roguelikes are basically large tactical puzzles, being given a new puzzle to solve is a reward in itself.

Are you of the opinion that the one item you get every thirty minutes should be randomly generated or predetermined?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

megane posted:

A good example of a game that gives you one item per 30 minutes is every Zelda game.

Obviously there are rupees and keys and whatever, but you get exactly one "real" item in each dungeon. That probably doesn't translate perfectly to roguelikes due to randomness, but I can definitely imagine a roguelike in which you clear several floors -- which are devoid of floor junk -- knowing that you're guaranteed a sweet upgrade for your current gun (or whatever) at the end.

I was going to make the point that metroid (+ castlevania? I honestly dont know) and zelda games pretty much operate this way, but I dont know how far outside the realm of RPG they're willing to travel. It's pretty much the best comparison though in my opinion.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

If you're going to play Sunless Sea just cheat in extra fuel and food for yourself. It makes the game actually enjoyable instead of a slog.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

With the introduction of the faction system in CoQ NPCs will have impressions of or belong to certain groups. What most likely happened is Mehmet belonged to a group that the Warden hated and so the warden killed him at the start of the game. It happens every once in a while.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

(Also you can buy it from the creator directly instead of giving valve a cut.)

I just want to quote this. Whenever you can buying a game directly from the creator or off of a service that isnt steam gives the creator a bigger cut. Steam takes a significant chunk of game sales, and supporting devs you like is cool.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Edwhirl posted:

I vaguely recall this roguelike where you were a robot, and you could beat up other robots and upgrade yourself from things you took from them.

Anyone know which one this is? I couldn't find it in the OP when I looked.

Cogmind?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Alehkhs posted:

Yessss! If I saw that cover at a used book store, I'd snatch it right up.

I was actually thinking this looked like the cover of a novel, has the right font and everything.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

I remember someone earlier in thread was talking about being interested in going in on a three pack for cogmind with two other goons. Did anyone ever take you up on that offer, because I think Im at the point where Im interested enough to go in on it.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Well, I don't think there's really a complete endgame or victory state yet, but there's tons of exploration and a decent number of challenging quests to-

It's good, play it

This is a perfect description of CoQ.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Geokinesis posted:

Water question:

I know water on it's own is like currency, what about brackish/salty/blood/any other liquids? Is there a point to collecting them?

Magma sells for a lot!

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

I cant watch right now, but its probably worth bringing up the rogomatic. Its an interesting historical point especially in relation to rogue and how it caused the roguelike genre to evolve.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

If people legitimately want a safe start go to the marshes south of Joppa and kill giant dragonflies, glowfish, and crocodiles. You can gain a level or two doing this easily enough and theres next to no risk.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

andrew smash posted:

When playing espers, do you guys prefer taking the esper morphotype, or scumming mutation rolls with precognition?

If Im feeling really dumb and scummy Ill scum mutations with precognition because theres a few physical mutations I really like having. If I just kind of want to play around with a laser light show and whatever else comes up Ill just roll esper for simplicity.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up on this thread recently, but I had a friend ask me about Skyshine's Bedlam, claiming it was a roguelike. I haven't played it at all and as such I had no opinion, but I was curious if anyone here had anything to say regarding it. Sorry if this is a repeat question, I fully admit to being a shitheel and not bothering to search the thread.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

ToxicFrog posted:

Sproggiwood looks cute and welcoming but will tear your face off and eat it.

I mean, it's pretty easy on the casual difficulty. Honestly I tend to recommend it for anyone who is vaguely interested in roguelikes but doesn't have an entrance point. It's got a very simple and intuitive system, it's fairly forgiving with some of its classes, and deaths only affecting a single level (which tend to be fairly short) makes it pretty accessible.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Reason posted:

The guy that made Dungeonmans is also a goon

Thats why DMans is on the list of goon made games.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Awesome! posted:

when i was reading the sunless sea thread during early access people were just modding the resource use rates to make the game not so tedious and lovely

i didnt feel like the atmosphere was worth the trouble and frustration personally. well, zee you later!

If you play sunless sea, just loving cheat. Enjoy exploring the world and seeing all the weird events. Playing the game by its awful rules isn't particularly fun.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Someone needs to make ShadowrunRL.

Isnt this literally invisible inc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Samizdata posted: