Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Question for y'all: I'm trying out unNethack (because I'm a big idiot, never could get the hang of regular nethack) and I'm having an issue that's slightly annoying. I love the default tiles that come with it (unchozo32b, it's still letters for enemies, it just looks nice), but with the tiles the levels are larger than my screen. This would be fine, but the way the autoscrolling behaves is to stay where it is until I'm 5 tiles from the edge of the screen, and only then to start scrolling with my character, which is obviously less than ideal when there might be monsters that way, and it's annoying to have to manually scroll the screen constantly. Is there an option to have the game keep my character centered until it physically can't because I've reached the edge of the map? Alternatively, is there a way I can shrink the tiles down/anyone know of other good ascii-derived tiles that will fit an entire level on a 16:9 screen (1366x768)?

E: Also Occult Chronicles looks fantastic and I am so buying it.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at Aug 13, 2013 around 00:09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Yeah, honestly, the only sane thought process when donating to a Kickstarter is similar to going to Vegas for a weekend. Don't throw down any more money than you're willing to lose for absolutely no gain, but with the possibility of maybe getting something cool back.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Snagged it, because gently caress it, it's $.99. Honestly, I wouldn't bother.

It's got some fairly decent ideas, such as:

-So far as I can tell, every character starts off the same, you have no armor, your fist, a Crawl-magic-dart-esque spell, and a self buff bless, and how your character evolves is based around what you use, sort of like Crawl's skills. If you cast the magic dart skill a bunch, your magic stats go up. It differs from Crawl in that your spells also level up with use, and as you gain more spell stat levels, you unlock new spells, which get further randomized. I started casting some dark magic spell called Black Tentacles or something, and my dark magic skill went up, and eventually I got another dark magic skill, plus a couple of necromancy skills eventually. There seems to be a similar setup for melee skills.

-The profiles seem like cool ideas, though I didn't mess around with them at all. There's Hardcore, which is regular roguelike permadeath, Lucky, which says they get random bonuses through the game, including one extra life, Hoarder, which brings a portion of its gold when starting a new character after the old one dies, Collector, which keeps most of its gems (which I think are used for crafting/enchanting or something) between runs, and Races, which gives different race options, which are mostly just stat adjustments (extra dex and spirit at a cost of constitution, etc).

-An interesting defense mechanic, where most things have the ability to block, dodge, or parry attacks. I assume they're based off of stats and equipment to some degree, but I'm not sure. Anyway, they work almost like automatic skills, if you or an enemy dodges an attack, for example, the dodge goes on a kind of cooldown and can't trigger until it refreshes. Combat is supposedly built around breaking through these defenses, with skills and spells interacting with them differently. For example, the help page mentions a Feint ability that will presumably trigger one of them to some benefit, I guess, while different types of spells interact with them in different ways. AoE spells are harder to dodge, touch spells are the only ones to be parried, some spells hit multiple times, giving better chances to break through defenses. Spells also have cast times, where stuff like bolt spells take a couple of turns to cast, but are more accurate,touch spells cast quickly, but as mentioned can be parried.

Now, the bad:

-The interface sucks out loud. The eight-directional 'd-pad' is extremely finicky, and it's hard to accurately hit the direction you want, at least on my phone. You only have a health and mana/stamina/whatever bar, plus indicators for dodge/block/parry, for you and enemies. No numbers, no indicator for how much an enemy might do in an attack, nothing.

-There's no way that I could tell to look at an enemy, and there's not even a name until combat actually happens ("The kobold/centipede/dickbutt dodged your attack/hit you with a stick/dicked your butt.")

-Spells just show up on the right side of your screen as buttons to cast them. They give some information about what the spell does, actual numbers for damage and such (which is useless because you can't tell how much health an enemy actually has), but it's very sparse. Additionally, it seems like there's no continuity to what spells you have available, beyond a basic "The more you use the spell, the more likely it is to stick around." I got two necromancy spells at once, and I cast one of them a couple of times, and the other one just disappeared forever. This might be an intentional thing, but if so, there's no explanation or warning. They also shift around their order seemingly at random, and I think there's a limit on how many you can have at once., basically how many fit on your screen. I was running around just slinging spells for a while, and had my spell 'bar' filled out with spells, then I hit things with a hammer I found a few times, and 3/4 of my spells were replaced with "Hit this thing in a different way with your weapon" skills, with my only two spells remaining being the necro spell I'd been casting, and the basic magic dart spell I'd spammed a bunch at the beginning. There doesn't seem to be a way to cast spells that aren't on hte right side of your screen. The game also apparently handles you having too little Force power to cast a given spell by temporarily removing it from your bar, instead of greying it out or something sane.

-There's no way o wait in place or rest, all you can do is move back and forth between two spaces (which is fun with the finicky d-pad), and health/rage-juice doesn't regenerate during combat, and seems to take an arbitrarily random (and sometimes really long) amount of time to start regenning. Once it does, though, you regen to full in like four turns, and there's no food clock, so there's no reason not to spam left/right after each and every fight.

-You can't move your view around to look at the level, so the only thing you can see is the 7x7 or so grid directly around your character, some of which is behind UI elements such as the combat log. They're translucent and can be tapped-through to target enemies behind them, but still, what the hell. Other than that, you have a lovely minimap that can't be expanded and provides very little useful information.

-There are no spellbooks from what I can tell. There's potions, wands, and scrolls, but if you want new spells or skills, you have to equip the correct weapon or hope you still have a spell in the area you want to train, and hope doing so doesn't get rid of what you are currently using.

-The documentation is literally just three pages with two paragraphs each, giving very general basics without going in-depth into anything at all.

-I mentioned that you start with just your fist for a weapon? Yeah, it's actually a weapon that gets put into your backpack when you equip something else, and can be dropped for pack space . I can only imagine that it's actually a Hulk Hand or something, which you have to put on if you want to punch some dude in the face. No idea if there's other hands that you can replace it with with better stats.

In short, stick with Pixel Dungeon, this wouldn't even be worth it if it was free.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Become grossly incandescent and engage in jolly cooperation in Sunbrogue, or be absolutely useless in every fight in Onionbrogue.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

bisonbison posted:

Roguelike '14 - The mediocre game-play of an otherwise perfectly sound spreadsheet.

Now, now, we can't make that the title, we'll have confused EVE players wandering in all the time.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Oh, man, Qud. I'm so happy to hear that it's back under development now that Sproggiwood is out!

Welp, here goes hours of my life.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Goodchild posted:

Same here, this has been a good thread, with many delicious roguelike treats. Caves of Qud however stands at the pinnacle. Sproggiwood admittedly was not my thing, so I'm pretty psyched that Qud is getting some more love. Going to be putting many hours in so I'll be in shape for the eventual Steam release.

Yeah, same here.

Splatted three guys so far, why do I always forget how bad I am at roguelikes?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Well, interesting little Qud bug: I was going to use the debug command that gives you 1000 xp to bump me up one or two levels to soften out the start, but apparently 1000 on Earth translates to 250000 Qudese Level 25 right at the start softens it a bit too much.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Rather than Ravenous, consider taking Evil Twin. Evil Twin hardly ever procs, and when it does it's generally a pretty fun fight Plus it means you have less food (== weight) to deal with when traveling overland.

I dunno, I do generally take it when I'm going caster, but it seems to pop in the most unhelpful places. I've had it pop when I'm already fighting pretty heavy hitters more often than the low chance would suggest. Of course, there was that one time I converted my clone with Proselytize

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Tollymain posted:

i had no idea what darkest dungeon was until now and

Likewise, I'm definitely buying in when it's available.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Son of a bitch, always when I'm sleeping

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Angry Diplomat posted:

After losing my last really good axe turtle to an unexpected disagreement with the Sky-Bear, I made Screamy the straightforward clone-laser-mindcrush Esper nuker and plodded through the comparatively slower early game. Thanks to absurdly lucky mutation rolls I ended up with clairvoyance, teleportation, mass mind, and force wall, which is such a comically perfect loadout that I basically have no excuse at all if this lunatic doesn't at least clear the first couple of Bethesda Susa bosses.

This character gave me the easiest Golgotha clear ever; there were still a couple of hairy moments due to landing next to nasty stunning enemies and one floor where Evil Screamy showed up and the entire map became an incomprehensible screaming shitstorm of angry teleporting cloned laser farters getting set on fire and bitten by bugs. In contrast, Slog got chumped HARD by a double dose of clairvoyantly teleporting time clone hell assassins, and I basically picked up a waydroid, fixed it, blinked to the elevator and rode peacefully to the surface.

I never suffered a single ooze splash, never got bitten by any eels or maggots, and never went anywhere near Slog, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe from Glotrot. I'm starting to see the differing appeal of Espers - Chimera melee ogres tend to have a smooth and consistently reasonable progression in terms of power vs. challenge, whereas pure Espers start out as timid lovely hedge wizards and, if they survive the early grind, snowball madly until they're unstoppable reality-devouring nightmare demons who kill people by frowning at them and can transmute air into death.

I am become Screamy, destroyer of worlds.

e: hey Unormal, can I get a definitive answer on how "Qud" is pronounced? My wife and I occasionally do a science fiction podcast and I want to hype your cool game so more people play it and are inclined to buy it on Steam.

Excellent.

Personally, I always pronounced it like cud.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Eonwe posted:

Roguelikes: I play with coq

Roguelikes: I love Unormal's CoQ

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Unormal posted:

Well, you guys all said it was a little too easy.

We have a plan.

I'm going to need an explanation.

And also a Steam Qud key in my pm box.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Always do Bill immediately. If you die, that character was apparently not baller enough

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Unormal posted:

I love the walls.

Unormal, any plans to make the enemy and (especially) character sprites stand out a bit more? I tend to visually lose them at times, or don't notice, say, a seed spitter immediately (ignoring the projectiles and log messages).

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Man, all of this Sproggiwood chat is really making me consider giving it a go, even though the cutesy art style turns me off to it. Anyone want to pitch it to me and push me over the fence?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

hand of luke posted:

* There's a dark tack to the story that will make you question the sincerity of all that cuteness.
* The classes are unique, variously challenging, and true to their inspirations.
* There's a potion called Identity Crisis that scrambles your powers, occasionally producing awesome custom-like classes (Invisibility + Shoot Arrow + Roll + Dervish = Sniper Death Ninja)
* There's a mysterious god who meddles in the world's affairs.
* There's tremendously awesome music made by another goon.
* There are several references to figures from ancient Rome.
* The most reviled monster in the game is called "happy mate fish".

I say all this as a completely neutral party, of course.

All right, sold.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

hand of luke posted:

Overgrowth dude is Aubrey Serr!

It was a blast meeting everyone. madjackmcmad is basically the nicest dude ever.

That must have been neat! Did Serr mention whether or not he's ever going to actually finish Overgrowth?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Ugh, thread made me want to try ADOM, and the controls are so obtuse. Are there any suggested configurations to make this poo poo easier? More broadly, is this worth the time and effort? I've never even gotten a rune in crawl.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Justin_Brett posted:

Is the achievement for only killing the boss of a dungeon bugged? I've killed Big Ick twice without even attacking anything but him and it didn't give it to me.

Doesn't he spawn adds when you hit him? Maybe they die when he does and it counts as killing them.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Unormal is a Cood Guy

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Unormal posted:

8X7??-2ZEYM-29QNA (?? = ?OO?)

Is this one boob? It'd better be boob.

I'm already in, so didn't take it or anything.

E: Poop would also be acceptable.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Unormal posted:

It's two different letters.

I'm incredibly disappointed in you.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Unormal posted:

I wonder how many people I'm going to get account banned for key mining with my two hard ones.

The only thing I can think of for the ??17 one is CT17 as a Half-Life 2 reference.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Roll up an Esper with Light Manipulation, Time Fugue, Sunder Mind, Spontaneous Combustion

You can't take Combustion as an Esper. (Unless you mean an Esper in spirit instead of in morphotype )

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

madjackmcmad posted:

If you haven't bought the game but now you really want to... don't! At least, not until tomorrow. No reason

If you're warning people that there's a sale so they don't buy the game at full price the day before, you are A Good Person.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

madjackmcmad posted:

Correct. The Steam Marines dev and I like to trash each other's game while point out sales and updates, but so far he hasn't been able to top that. Plenty of salt though. https://twitter.com/Worthless_Bums/...291369914380288

That's too funny.

Also, sell me on Eldritch. The Minecraft graphics instantly turned me off, but if the gameplay is good enough, I might reconsider.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Guess I'll give Eldritch a pass then.

Re: Necrodancer, waiting on a reply from the dev because right now it crashes on startup without producing any logs, and I've already tried all of the suggestions I could find.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Is the audio for the current guy dying periodically for anyone else, or is it just my stream?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Welp It's not a huge problem, but it sets my teeth on edge every time.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

madjackmcmad posted:

One of the fellows running the camera is going to break the stream down into highlight vidoes, not sure when.

Please link it when he does! I caught part of Unormal's spiel, but then the stream audio started dropping randomly and I stopped watching. I'd definitely like to catch you and hand of luke's parts.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Isn't T temperature?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

omeg posted:

I wonder what this is...

Folding metal chair made out of golden diamonds.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Someone is doing blind roguelike LPs, and the first one they're doing is Nethack.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

hand of luke posted:

I throw some around, too. Usually attached to Qud trivia questions. (@ptychomancer)

This needs to happen.

If it's already happened, it needs to happen more and I need a link.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

IIRC, the x1/x2/xwhatever is armor penetration or something, not number of attacks. It's a really weird way to display it though. So it didn't triple turn you, it just attacked with its bite and two claws in one turn and wrecked you.

Fake edit: Yeah, this is the manual entry on it:

quote:

Determine how severely your attack penetrates your target's armor.
Each weapon has a penetration value (->4, for example). This value
represents the armor value (AV) that your weapon will usually penetrate
with ease. If your weapon's penetration value far exceeds your target's AV,
your weapon will likely penetrate several times. Each time your weapon
penetrates your target's armor, your target is dealt damage equal to your
weapon's damage value (1d4, for example). A filled circle icon over your
target indicates that your attack hit but failed to penetrate your target's
armor. A heart icon indicates that your attack hit and penetrated your
target's armor.

So for that combat log, for example, I suspect it went something like:
You hit for 1 damage.
Puma bite (probably something along the lines of 1d6) hit you and penetrated
once, rolling 6 damage.
Puma claw 1 (1d3) hit you and penetrated three times, rolling thrice for 2+3+3=8.
Puma claw 2 (1d3) hit you, penetrated twice, 1+2=3.
You die.

E: beaten like a level 1 esper against a slumberling, but mine was more complete

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at Jul 6, 2015 around 06:27

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I know what you mean. They never even have anything good in them, but you just can't stop.

They're great if you run the Everything is Unique addon. You can set it so that rare monsters don't spawn any more commonly, but they drop better loot, and the golden chests usually spawn one or two rares. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is that everything gives a ton more experience, to the point that I'm level 60 or 70 by the time I hit Dreadfell. Like, if they dropped more cool loot, but you didn't level ridiculously fast, and the loot was appropriately leveled, it'd be just about perfect.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

Here's my last tinker build

Got to the highest level I've ever achieved with this (11, admittedly due more to actually killing stuff around Joppa rather than beelining the rust wells then red rock, and freezing hands being really really good, than actually remembering to use grenades or tinker stuff). I eventually went into red rock with like 8 levels, cleared it fine, and decided to go back through the tunnel rather than going straight up to red rock entrance again. Somehow completely missed the exit north of Joppa, and wandered for a long time until I found a huge mass of segmented worms and a group of unique hostile humans (one had Burgeoning), but the people were lit by something, so I avoided them and kited the worm mass to the surface stairs. I finally remembered that I had a shotgun, which massacred the group of worms that followed me up, and was able to go to the world map, which showed that I'd gone as far south as I possibly could have. Moved one tile north and got lost, and two dawngliders burned me to death in like 5 turns.

Then I remembered that I had the Joppa recoiler and some cells for it . GOTY

That's my Qud story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

Big thing to remember with that build is that you can kill Equimaxes for lots of xp as soon as you get freezing hands 3 and a 2 handed bronze longsword or similar weapon. Sometimes you might have to freeze them again when it comes off cooldown but they'll usually die before you can freeze again. Also remember that freezing hands is a line aoe that goes up to 9 squares if you aim that far away.

I was killing them fine with a steel longsword, freezing hands, and some judicious kiting/special rifle shots from a musket. Also that's how the AoE works? I thought it was a 3x3 square from the description (and also how it would freeze all adjacent tiles in water) .

Also, vital shot seems buggy, occasionally it would suppress enemies instead of critting, unless that's intended.

«2 »