Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
For ADOM I'm torn between two of the more famous buggy monsters from pre-revival, jackals or balors. For those who never got into the game, in any given playthrough enemies would "level" as you killed more enemies of that type. Some enemies took fewer kills to level than they should have, particularly ones that could be summoned by other monsters. Werejackals were quite common and summoned dozens of jackals apiece, and an unlucky player would see jackals become miniature gods. Balors were more of a late game threat, but because of a quirk in the equipment system for monsters they spawned wearing armor that massively lowered speed (which they were supposed to) but were capable of equipping another set of armor over the top of it. IF you encountered two balors at once, when you killed the first odds were good the other would equip the dropped armor, overflow his speed from negative to positive, take 60ish turns, and murder you.

By sheer killing players count the jackals win, balors come around much too late in the game, but there's something special about the balors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Damnit, who's is why I shouldn't post until I've been awake for at least a couple hours.

And if we're going abstract, I would par it down from the concept of inventory destruction to specifically the tower of eternal flames, where the concept gets turned up to 11.

Or possibly the dwarven halls. I've lost many a promising character there because gently caress the Animated Forest.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i keep trying to get into adom but the key bindings are byzantine even by roguelike standards

I have a similar problem, in that I learned roguelikes on ADOM, and have spent so much time on it that when I play other roguelikes of similar complexity I can't get past the ADOM keybindings that somehow have come to make total sense to me.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Weedle posted:

YOU TALKIN poo poo ABOUT DREAM QUEST???

Speaking of Dream Quest, if anyone hasn't picked it up yet it's 50% off for the steam summer sale.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Hexyflexy posted:

It's 4am now, I'm programming a thing for a client that's overdue a month and I accidentally typed a row of "U" into my terminal. Started having flashbacks. Thanks angband, I've not played you in years and I still bloody remember to be scared of various ascii characters.

I have played too much adom. the & still frightens me.

Goddamned demons.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

vudan posted:

Finally got a win in dcss. Ive played this stupid loving game for years on and off so even though it's only a 3 runer i am quite happy about it.

if it makes you feel better I probably played ADOM off and on for 8 or 9 years before I got a win.

I even documented my win in an adom lp somewhere in archives. I showed off an archmage build I set up post-win.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Kingsway is pretty fun. It's sort of shallow and not a game you're going to sink 100 hours into but I could easily see myself playing it for 15-20 hours until I've managed to figure out The Build that gets me to win that game, but I feel like I'm pretty close to having it solved. I think the most interesting feature is the daily run, where everyone is generated the same playthrough and you get one attempt to get as high of a score as you can, but looking at some of the top scores I am VERY confused as to how people are achieving those numbers without some sort of shenanigans.

I beat the game on my second character, it turns out the skill that does a multiplier of your max damage and stuns for a short time is broken as all hell. I pretty much just had that, got a little mp regen so I could use it a lot, and chugged potions. I don't think I used any other ability in the second half of my playthrough.

I think there is a "better" ending you may be able to get depending on how you go about beating the last dungeon though, I may play through again for that. And you get a new class that is terrible at everything if you beat the game once.

EDIT: Some minor, as spoiler free as possible research shows there are five endings. So I guess I just beat the game the easiest way. This pleases me immensely.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 21, 2017

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Years ago, someone showed up in the Nethack Usenet newsgroup claiming to have beaten Nethack without any spoilers whatsoever. If their claim is to be believed, it took them ten years to get an ascension.

I mean, I'd believe it. It took me about 10 years to beat ADOM the first time, and that was with spoilers (although there were some really long breaks in there)

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I will say I wish that there were modern controllers with four shoulder buttons, instead of two shoulder buttons and two technically-analog trigger buttons. Practically nobody makes use of the analog triggers in any meaningful way, so they just become an extra two set of shoulder buttons, except with more resistance.

Also, those crappy circle-based D-pads are awful. The PS2 controller was the ideal for me in terms of ergonomics.

There are dual shock 2 to usb adaptors, you can still use a PS2 controller for many of your gaming needs.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

oh, I'm a prerelease backer! I'm going to go download that right now.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Cryptark and Has-Been Heroes are both in the new Humble bundle at the $10 level.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Crawl reviews were removed in 0.15

If you don't win for that I'll buy you a steam key myself, because drat

Edit: guess you did win, bravo

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2017/10/full-steam-release-adom-236-is-here.html

even more adom poo poo!!!! humans mad buffed, non-light healing spells have been buffed, there's some babby quests at the start to help direct new players, fighters got slightly buffed, targeting mode fixed, statues are no longer mysteriously invisible, a bunch of minor bug fixes! wow!!

e: noted already top tier class priests now guaranteed to start with a great spell too now lol

ugh, it's steam only, what the hell

(seriously, it's cool the game is on steam, but I paid quite a bit of money to get access to beta releases and now I would have to pay /again/ because only some of the beta releases are coming out DRM free)

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Elona has it's hooks in me again. Sometimes you just want to play something completely loving ridiculous for awhile.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Pacra posted:

I'm so so sorry. Can you even 'win' Elona?

Yea, if you play the elona custom fork you can actually play through and complete a main quest line.

You can also treat it as a sandbox and just set completely arbitrary and ridiculous goals to "win"

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

ADOM talk: is there an option to disable the game constantly telling me (incorrectly) what actions I should take? No I don't want to pray for PP after casting one spell

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

yeah. hit = and gently caress with the game option that says something like "dumbass messages for newbs" or w/e. it's super annoying.

e: "Show newbie advice" is what you want to disable.

I tried that one. Turns out the answer was to set "Number of uses of command to hide quick hint" to 0.

Otherwise you have to pray 10 times before it stops telling you to pray anytime you don't have max PP.

Biskup!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

Let Us Kill All The Gods, imo. gimme the insane murder weapons to do it.

The new ending is called the Ultimate Nihilist ending...

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

There are so many small changes that I'm not used to get in ADOM. Like walking into a closed door bringing up an open or kick option, instead of a do you want to open y/n? Or the new pay menu.

But the one that annoys me the absolute most is esc doing nothing instead of letting me cast my loving spells. In what world should cast spell be capital Z?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

https://pastebin.com/iiNwMd3q look at these ridiculous things. they're loving crazy.

btw testing on the new stuff is hitting a brick wall because the new staircase it adds to the air temple (something about crystalline staircase or something) crashes the game. then the normal staircase crashes the game. also if youdont take the quest and the staircase never spawns it still crashes the game. hell yeah. there's like a randomly spawning goblin fortress that has a captive swordsman and loot in it which is cool, also a random town with hirable companions and the monks. people are still looking for where the dinosaurs and fungi spawn though.

e: the Whip That's Vanquisher But Better was confirmed to not a quest artifact btw. lmao

Now I'm torn, I wanna keep playing and check out the new stuff, but not if it's just going to crash (yes I knew we're talking about ADOM so that was always a possibility)

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Adom Changelog posted:

- Bug 5633 - Drunk dwarf misinformation
- Feature 5658 - Memorial statues looking like molochs is not a good idea

There were other changes but these two are the best (for amusement value).

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

The whole selling point of games like Dead Cells and Nuclear Throne is gittin’ gud, you dingus.

If the man wants to cheat in his single player game, who cares? He clearly bought it for a different reason than the "selling point"

Now if he was saying he just cheated past every single boss that would be weirder because at that point you are just playing the game to see the sights I guess? But skipping a boss who's pattern you just can't get down when you have limited game time isn't that bad.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 15, 2017

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's always the issue with games along these lines where if you can't often get to a certain point then you're not going to be very well prepared to deal with it when you actually do manage to make it

not sure if there's a clean solution to it, but, whatever

With games where inventory management (or at least long-term inventory management) I'm not sure what you could do.

With short run/procedural games where you build up over time you could get a practice mode against the boss once you've reached it once. You still get the surprise face melting, and the practice mode isn't necessarily going to let you completely chump the boss, because you'd have resources available that in a true run you would have used by the time you reached it, but you could still learn.

I know there are times I lost interest in a game once I got roadblocked if it was a hassle even making it to the boss that was stopping me from progressing, either because he was in a difficult/annoying stage or just a long ways past the last checkpoint. Spending 15 or 20 minutes of tedium just to get to the part that you are having trouble beating is exponentially more frustrating than just being stuck at a boss you can retry easily.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Dr. Dos posted:

Oh my god Biskup I don't need half my screen covered because I touched a door

Edit: Also loving spamming pick pockets causing me to sometimes to try and haggle instead since the list only shows skills you can use at the moment so first aid appears/disappears if I take damage while failing to steal anything.

The second you can fairly easily solve by quick marking pickpocket. At least you should be able to, I admit I haven't tried quick marking in the new versions. It could also be stupid and weird.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I joined for the bootleg pokemon crystal LP. There's a whole lot of cursing in that particular translation and I was tired of the censor

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Assuming it takes hours and can't easily be delegated to a robot, up to you I guess. As I've said before, Nethack is a horrendous old game that hates the player, but I don't see how Sokoban of all things is a scandal since you can get the bag and the amulet in the game in many other ways. Some of the arguably easiest if tedious ways are far more scummier, too, if you're willing to invest a lot of time in them. This is a game where Demogorgon can be summoned randomly by some bosses, a stone block puzzle as a breather is benign. Also it has more food than other parts of the dungeon :v:

It wasn't "Is this a scandal?" so much as "Isn't this a weird thing to put into a roguelike?"

And yes, a sliding box puzzle is in fact a bit weird to have in a roguelike, but meh

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I just ignore most of it and just try to get as far as possible. Like I don't care about first kill or if I'm getting to the Pyramid on time or stuff like that. The number one thing I think about when starting a new game is how likely am I to reach the Infinite Dungeon or Small Cave without horribly dying in a wilderness encounter. Or to reach the CoC. I've died on the way and I'm still upset about that.

Walk in swamps as little as possible. Stay of the road tiles entirely.

Yea, ADOM is obtuse and punishes you for walking on the loving road.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Isaac posted:

I like a bit of crossover in here so i can get all my roguelike info in one place

Same, a page or two of crosstalk is nice, I like getting random insight into specific games.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Picked up Swords of Ditto, played through until the end of the very first tutorial death, got to "Press X to continue"

X doesn't continue.
No button continues.
Just hangs on my corpse.
Well played game.

Edit: turns out it wanted me to hit controller x. On my controller. That wasn't currently and had never been connected to my computer. It works now.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 27, 2018

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Dr. Dos posted:

I recently wound up getting an old 2001 era laptop and just wanted to say that Castle of the Winds is still great

I wasted many a schoolday playing that game instead of working.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I picked it up and bounced off the game a little bit, probably owing to the fact I was playing at 4am when I should have been getting ready to sleep. I plan on diving back in tonight or tomorrow.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

The saddest thing about Fallen London is that I would pay them so much money for a visual novel of their game, one that streamlines the grind, removes the turn limit, and just lets me read it. It'd be the best thing, and it hurts that it will be forever locked away behind that turn limit - as even giving them money only lets you get a second candle.

This is exactly how I feel. I love the story and flavor of their world, but I long ago reached the point where I would have to spend days to get small snippets of new gold to read over, and I just can't do the grind like that.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Jedit posted:

No matter how hard you try to gently caress up and die the computer keeps bringing you back to keep playing?

You win by finally killing yourself so well the computer can't bring you back

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

RickVoid posted:

Steam Sale.

Which of Card Quest or Slay the Spire is the deck-building Roguelike of goon-choice? I know I've seen people talk about both in here.

Card quest is not a deck building roguelike, your deck is based on your equipment, which you unlock, but carries between runs.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

grill youre saelf posted:

I've tried to get into the first shiren on the snes, and I just can't play it for more than a couple runs. Does it get better? Should I try other games in the series?

I bounced off the SNES one a little but really loved the DS entry, which you should be able to acquire by similar means

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Sorry this will be my last post about it, I swear, but I'm still baffled: How in the gently caress does it seem like so many people have bought, played, and admired Deathstate...and yet it seems like we haven't really talked about it until just now (almost 3 years after it released)? I guess I should've started ranting about it 2 years ago.

I bought it because of some chatter in the thread, so someone talked about it a few months ago.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Greenman gaming is currently having it's summer sale, and Streets of Rogue and Dead Cells are both on sale. There's probably other relevant games also but those are the two I saw. Dead Cells is 20% off ($20) and Streets of Rogue is 34% off (~$10)

Mithross fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 26, 2018

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Prism posted:

Someone linked me to Rogue Empire today and told me I might like it since I play roguelikes.

I don't know anything about this one and I can't remember it coming up in the thread, though I might have forgotten. Has anyone here played it?

It looks like they have a demo on their site.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh, now I'm curious - what was your first roguelike, how'd you get into 'em?

You didnt ask me but I'm going to answer anyway because its 5am and work is boring.

I'm 32, my first roguelike was ADOM, which I discovered when I was 14. My school let me borrow a crappy old laptop and DOS games were all I could reliably run on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

.... and I still haven't played ADOM. At this point I'm too afraid to try it.

I kind of have the opposite problem. I spent so many years with ADOM as basically my only roguelike before I discovered the rest of the genre that now when I try to play other games I automatically try to use ADOM commands. I've bounced off Qud a couple times without ever really digging in because I keep defaulting to ADOM controls. I even have that problem with post-revival ADOM, I keep trying to play it like I used to, and getting frustrated that some of the new accessibility features can't be disabled.