Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

doctorfrog posted:

Brogue: my monkey examined a bat and is now a flying monkey.

What advantages does flight convey? Is he harder to hit, or does this just mean he's gonna go flitting off across a bunch of lava after an enemy, where I can't rescue his hairy screechy rear end?

He can't fall down pits, he can't be affected by the poison fungus, he can pass over lava and water no issue, and he won't set off traps on the floor. As you mentioned, yeah sometimes they'll fly off over some lava to attack something too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah armor of respiration allows you to really play those gas traps to your advantage.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I doubt he has the money to refund it and there's no way you'll be able to get it out of him.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Actually someone sued a Kickstarter creator already:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/22/why-this-jilted-kickstarter-backer-decided-to-sue-why-he-was-right/

Yeah, it's obviously going to be difficult to get the developer of the CultRL kickstarter to cough up the refunds he's obligated to deliver, but that's kind of a separate issue. I could easily see one of the folks that backed it at the $500 level filing in small claims court, which is a fairly simple process and can result in the dev's wages getting garnished or something equally lovely for him. Since it looks like he didn't set up a corporation to receive the KS funds and liabilities, he could be on the hook for the whole $34,000 - which really isn't enough debt by itself for him to declare personal bankruptcy and have it discharged.

They sued him, sure. But last I checked the result of that lawsuit was still no compensation received cuz the guy they sued didn't have the assets. People without money are hard to get stuff back from.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jordan7hm posted:

The point is that it punishes the person who is basically scamming you out of money by ensuring he has no assets.

He didn't get punished though, he already didn't have assets, and if he gets them again in the future he won't have to turn them over. He had to deal with lawyers for a bit but he still took the money and didn't give anything back

Jordan7hm posted:

I think with a game it's pretty wonky though because its not like he promised it would be good, just that you would get it. As long as he releases something he would be off the hook, no?

Yeah he probably could. He might end up doing it if someone actually threatens a lawsuit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Castle of the Winds is still great to play if you want to win as well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DalaranJ posted:

Exactly. Plate armor had no downside ...

Never having worthwhile runics was a pretty big downside.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

victrix posted:

Any opinions about Delver the fproguelike on sale on steam right now?

Personally, I'd buy it for $2.39 like it is right now. It's not amazing, but the devs have made significant progress since the alpha release, and I think I can trust them to continue improving it.

You might want to try out the old alpha which is free for a better idea.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 2, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nephilm posted:

I want to play FATAL: The RogueLike.

I believe this pre registers you as a sex offender in most states.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chinook posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a roguelike that is pretty easy to beat? Maybe a bit uncomplicated as well.

I like Crawl and a few others, but sometimes get bogged down by the resistance systems and difficulty. I tried cardinal quest, which is definitely simple and easier, but I just didn't find it to be very fun. Any ideas?

Otherwise I will probably just head back to Crawl. :)

Castle of the Winds is on easy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

doctorfrog posted:

Am I being impertinent for wondering why the developer of the game can't compile the darn thing himself? (I want me some new Brogue.)

Dude only has one computer and it only runs OS X. That's why Brogue didn't even have any officially hosted Windows or Linux binaries for so long, it took a while for people to convince him to host their own compiling work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also if you can get your hands on an armor "of Respiration" they are extremely handy because they cancel out any effects of a gas in rooms/traps.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Delver? It has an incredibly cool aesthetic that I love, but is it any good?

I enjoy playing it, I got it on a sale of some sort so it only cost me $2 though. Not sure what the current price is.

They make some odd decisions but all in all I'm down with it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

doctorfrog posted:

POWDER has almost unrivaled portability, but I found it too hard and complicated! I didn't think it was very simple, but then I expect to grasp every possible mechanic before I feel comfortable with a game. There are just too many objects, object properties and player actions for my brain to think of it as simple.

That, and I found it to be pretty brutal. In a good way for some, a bad way for me.

Donate to the guy and you get useful "cheats" that can help you master some of the higher level mechanics without having to worry about death right away; and also an interesting stress-test mode where the game plays itself at ffull speed as long as it can until it crashes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

Free* Sproggiwood steam keys! PC/Mac/Linux builds are up, but the Mac/Linux are fairly untested at the moment.

T5MW7-XM3E2-IDD8Z
VI4KM-EKJLC-TN7XB
2HXFA-FP6T7-KL62J
GX0ZP-IF677-8W52J
D5MJL-3A22X-FYY3T

*If you take one, I'd ask that you play at least the first dungeon and fill out a one page survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8T357SM

Took the middle, looking forward to playing it when it finishes downloading. Thanks!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So I've been playing this for a bit and just filled out the survey. I'd like to add that it'd be nice if the windowed mode let you select specific resolutions, just a quibble really.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

You can also just hit enter on a blank line to close it.

Posted a fix at lunchtime for the Big Tree boss soft-locking.

Funny ice cube/thief gear are known issues; should be fixed fairly soon.

Summoned monsters could do with a default behavior to swap places with them rather than attack wen you try to enter their square.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

Yeah, the build system for Steam is pretty slick, I like it a lot. I just need to get over the :effort: speedbump of doing command-line unity builds and updating my steam build VM, and it'll be super-slick one touch build deployment. It's so easy to do manually I haven't been driven to exert the effort to automate it yet.

I've got a defect in queue to make friendlies swap positions, I agree it's pretty annoying in its current form!

The biggest bug with the portals at the moment is that summoning scrolls will cause friendly portal-summoning mushrooms to appear... but their portals aren't friendly!

Wizard/Vampire gear is in flux at the moment, should be working in the next couple weeks.

Also, are the slime things that respawn from their own pool supposed to respawn that fast and make the later levels with a lot of them extremely difficult to get through (because you can't walk over their pools fast enough to clear them before new ones pop up) or is that a bug? One attempt I ended up having so many of them spawn on a turn that the game froze.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dis astranagant posted:

Doesn't help that they all either have SLIGE tier map design or just a handful of map parts they shuffle around.

SLIGE and its branch projects have actually gotten a lot better these days than they used to be.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'd say FPS roguelike is a pretty clear indication that someone is talking about a related genre rather than a turn based third person top down view dungeon crawler roguelike.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah trying to make a Doom-esque roguelike FPS is the most baffling thing, because literally the thing that makes Doom a great game is the level design. Having an computer poo poo out levels at random completely destroys its appeal

Nope. OBLIGE owns.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Turtlicious posted:

Wait what are you guys talking about? What is Oblige, DoomRL, and the "Arsenal pack" I'm confused. Wasn't doom some lovely xbox game?

OBLIGE is a continuation of the SLIGE project which generates Doom levels and level packs algorithmically (including options like generating a progressively harder set of levels in a single file, etc) http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

DoomRL is a traditional roguelike based on Doom: http://doom.chaosforge.org/

I have no idea what an arsenal pack is in relation to this, there's a lot of game things called that.

Lastly you're a loving blasphemer.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

icantfindaname posted:

It looks like that actually tries to produce contained levels as opposed to endless procedural dungeons, though? I don't think that's really what FPS roguelikes go for usually

Well that is what a FPS roguelike would have to do isn't it? Most roguelike games only have a certain number of floors in the "dungeons" and then you get to whatever macguffins you need. You don't just keep entering new rooms in Rogue and NetHack themselves after all, each level ends at a certain point and then you have to get to the between-level stairs. OBLIGE is even able to generate interlinked-levels using a hub system in the manner of Heretic/Hexen (although this feature ends up being a few versions behind the main world generation code).

There is no reason that the current attempts at "FPS roguelikes" don't do this really, other than that the people making them seem to have serious trouble putting together a half-decent random environment generator. Which is really kind of funny, because the OBLIGE project has source code available to study.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jackard posted:

I picked this up and it feels like they put the bare minimum amount of effort into porting it. You have to zoom in on parts of the screen to see what's going on and the hud becomes obscured. Also I can't find the inventory buttons?

What phone are you using with it?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jackard posted:

LG G Vista

Ah, there's your problem. Brogue's "text" display is actually a set of custom tile bitmaps and it doesn't scale properly below a certain resolution, and the 1280x720 (minus room for the OS buttons on screen) res of your phone is loving with it. So you end up with it defaulting to a poor quality scrolling/shrinking mode. And this is especially annoying to deal with on a phone since you don't have a keyboard handy to use to move around when you have trouble using touch!

Similar annoyances happen on desktops with the resolution "too low", that wouldn't happen if it was using real scalable text and applying the effects over it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

This went both very wrong and so, so right.

Oh my! Also that a recent update made the wizard not crash the game finally was nice to have, even if the staffs keep showing up for the knight.

Also are you considering game controller usage yet? I got an older dual shock type usb controller i'd love to use with the game, seems like it could handle the movement just fine, as well as acitvating the powers and items.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lilli posted:

I finally got around to giving Sproggiwood a try. I actually managed to die in Big Ick's dungeon because on the third floor I found a scroll of summoning (that I used instantly since my consumable slot was full) and as a result a bunch of dimensional doors opened up that started spawning giants that hit fairly hard (~12 damage when most things were hitting for 2-3 at that point) and more doors kept popping open quicker than I could close them. What exactly happened there, is that just a potential side effect of scrolls of summoning or did I get screwed by the RNG somehow?

There's an enemy monster that can spawn out of the portal doors which occasionally opens another portal door as it wanders around, it also can be spawned with a summoning scroll as on your side, but it'll still drop portals full of enemy creatures.

And of course, the scroll of wonder always spawns at least one portal door if there's room and that door eventually spawns the enemy that drops more doors.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I really wish Brogue's Windows port had a fullscreen/maximized mode. I've been playing it on an old Thinkpad X41 I got for free, which is a like 2005 or so ultraportable where the screen can swivel around and fold down to cover the keyboard and use the touchscreen; and which is only 1024x768. So there's significant chunks of screen open around it at the largest text size that fits on screen, and it's annoying to position it around to look good.

Just having it with the display stuff centered in a black window would be fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

Hah, that's a good one! I'll fix it up.

On the same note, Scroll Of Wonder spawns of altars sometimes block paths to other rooms in a level.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Unormal just make sure you can get basic controller support into the first Steam release. Or at least put out a list of the necessary keyboard commands so I can map keys.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

Everything has a keyboard command (though it's not always marked in the UI at the moment) Full native controller support is high on the to-do list but won't make it in 1.0.

For adventure mode mapping, all you really need is:
WASD/arrows/numpad - movement
Q - use item
E/Space - wait
1 2 3 4 5 - abilities

less common, though still necessary:
+ - level up
Z,X,C,V - some popup choices (so as not to conflict with movement when you're spamming and one pops up)

Let me know if this is ok with your setup; if not, I'd be happy to work with anyone to get a clean basic setup for controllers. I know a ton of people play that way.

It works great! Well mostly. It's still a bit clunky to not be able to hit ok when accepting a quest with any keyboard keys, and it'd be nice if there was an ability to move a pointer between menu options using the keys (i.e. move between overworld nodes to select a level, move between classes once within, choose classes to build, etc). But within a dungeon I can handle anything with the mapped keyboard keys for my controller which is really nice.

Also the game runs really well in general on this old Thinkpad X41 tablet I use while traveling like right now, which is a Penitum M 1.5 ghz system from like 2005 with intel integrated graphics, so that's quite nice! It has a stylus-touchscreen too, and I've found the Sproggiwood UI to work very nice in full touch mode (though being able to tap/click a square for movement as well as use the compass would be nice too)

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 21, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

Hah, I'll add a keybind to the quest screens... if you notice any others let me know.

I built the whole thing to be able to run on an iPad 1, so it will run on pretty dinky setups. We intentionally made technology choices, like using "bone-based" sprites instead of full sprite sheet animation, to get the 2D full-sprite look without the memory requirements that would annihlate an iPad 1. You only get 100mb of headroom on one :gonk:

I actually had tap-to-move in for awhile, but it's super annoying on small phone screens where you're accidentally moving when mis-clicking abilities. I could certainly add an on-off toggle for people who want it and have large screens, though.

e: Actually it looks like space should clear the quest dialogs. Is there a dialog that space doesn't close? Can you give me the exact wording of it? Thanks! :D

The thing I was referring to was these dialogs:

Only way to progress is to click.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

Ok, a build is live on steam that should add a keybind for these guys.

Thanks! :)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

victrix posted:

Sproggiwood is hard :saddowns:

Besides selecting easy difficulty, here are some useful tips:

1) Invest as many coins into the HP increase, XP gain, and shop price decrease things first.

2) The best weapons to have are generally the X of Dancing Flames or the X of the Wisp King (since dancing flames shoots a ridiculous huge pillar of flame and the wisp king ones get you 2 HP back for every enemy you or an ally kills) If you can't afford these yet, Vampiric X (1 HP per kill) or Fire Whip X are generally good and cheap

3) This tip is broken down for each class:
Farmer: Go for pumpkin bomb as your first ability, then the pitchfork, and upgrade both until you can get cornucopia. After that, you'lll want to get the 4-way pitchfork throwing upgrade as your priority.
Warrior: Always get cleave first, nothing beats being able to hit all 8 surrounding squares at once. You'll also want to next get charge - it's very useful to get the drop on some enemies, and of course get dervish as soon as it's open.
Archer: Shoot Arrow is of course your first priority. Then you'll want to upgrade piercing shot all the way if possible, but don't forget to also do at least one instance of roll - it can be really helpful in certain situations, especially when you're boxed in by enemies.
Thief: You'll want to do Juke as your first level up thing, and then upgrading fire traps most likely. Don't forget to get backstab.
Vampire: Honestly I prefer to just have identity crisis as my auto equipped potion so I can swap in some better actions for it. But if you don't want to do that, it's usually best to get enthrall first, then drain life, then upgrade enthrall as much as possible while still getting Feeed right away when it unlocks. It's also particularly important to get your vampire good weapon and armor as soon as possible because he's stuck with mostly melee.
Wizard: Do magic missile first, then summon yeti, then teleport, then fireball. Choosing which of the first three to upgrade more is really up to you, but I'd prioritize yeti and magic missile over teleport

4) For armor you're going to find Armor of the Master Potter the most useful most likely, since you get free 3 or 4 hp healed for every pot you break with it. If you haven't found it or can't afford it yet, the armor of the Potter does the same but less hp which is still useful, and the Fireflare (pretty high chance to blast pillars of flame out in all directions when hit) and Stormguard armor (same deal as Fireflare, except with lightning attacks) are useful to have. The armors that teleport on hit can generally make melee fights hard to deal with, and the ones that just give a bunch of extra hp usually aren't worth it.

5) Always try to kill/close spawning entities first (spider nests or portal doors) in rooms with them, then focus on the creatures that came out later.

6) Always try to get a large slime, especially the dark blue/black ones that can respawn from puddles, into a hallway before you kill them. This usually means they'll only plop out 1 small slime on death which will be easier to deal with. Except for the acid slimes and the slimes whose death leaves an electrical slime area - you'll want to try to kill those in corners or centers of rooms so you can avoid needing to step through them, taking damage, to get to another room. (However if you're a wizard with teleport, an archer with roll, or a warrior with charge who can see an enemy on the other side of a pool of hurting slime, you're able to get past them without issue)

7) I find that if you can get the Key to the God's Hearts or whatever it's called, it's the best item to have equipped if you've also done the upgrade in town to ensure more prayer altars in dungeons. Being able to use each altar twice is usually much more helpful than harmful.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Hexen was awful.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have fond memories of the Hexen demo from when I was a kid but I am prepared to take your word for it.

Yeah it's safe to say the Hexen demo was the best part of the game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The vi keys only exist because a really old weird terminal keyboard painted arrow keys on the row of 4 letters. They have no inherent virtue.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

doctorfrog posted:

You tried to get used to them and you couldn't, huh?

Keyboard layouts based on keyboards available since the Berlin Wall fell are superior.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

Anyone who wants to test out the controller support in Sproggiwood can put the password "sproggiwooddebug" into the Betas tab in Steam and use the "debug" branch. It's missing quite a bit of polish, but it should all be functional. The only screen that's not completely able to be controller-driven at this point is the Decorate mode (which is under more general construction).

e: ...also now features full control rebinding and a couple small bug fixes.

For me the control rebinding both doesn't seem to work right and doesn't seem to have a reset to default setting. I tried to change several things and just ended up with Mouse0 bound instead.

Also, I can't seem to press the home button or xbox button (depending on whether I use my PS3 or 360 pads) to do anything, and the menu doesn't seem to be bound in dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

So if you navigate to a key rebind button and hit a controller button, do you get the popup that asks you to hit a key for that particular command? And if you click something on the controller it just does nothing?

I borked the reset to defaults in that build, I'll clean it up and post a new one. Thanks for trying my horrifyingly broken code! :D

Well that's the thing. The popup comes up, it registers as Mouse0.... and then the pop up stays there, even if I exit out of the config menu and come back in (that is, it stays opened in the config menu, but going out to normal menus or gameplay it disappears.). The only way to get it to stop showing up is to quit out entirely and restart the game.