Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is Occult Chronicles any good? I tried the demo and it was okay, if a bit confusing. But I'm not dropping 20 bucks on it unless it's nothing less than stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I posted this in the Kickstarter thread a few days ago but I figured it deserves to go here too. Darkest Dungeon released a PAX gameplay video on YouTube which shows off about 20 minutes worth of play going on a quest to kill a necromancer. It's pretty cool.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

packetmantis posted:

Is Darkest Dungeon going to be on Steam?

Yeah, I read on their Facebook page that they're not going with anything more specific than "soon", but it'll be up for early access before the year is out. I'm going to guess for late October.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Zarick posted:

Does the $50 from buying Darkest Dungeon off of their site actually get you the game? It says Early Access which I'm concerned is just whenever it'll be on Steam.

The cheapest backer tier on the kick starter that included the beta was $20. I don't think they'd charge more than that on steam early access so I'd just wait.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Here's a neat game that might be relevant to your interests: Hand of Fate. It's an early access card game but unlike Magic or Hearthstone (what these two have in common, though, is the slick presentation).

The dealer basically creates a dungeon for your out of cards and you have to get through several floors to get to the boss which is afterwards shuffled into the deck as a semi-regular enemy. There are quite a bit of unique items which will give you abilities or change the gameplay a bit. By defeating optional encounters, bosses etc. you can earn tokens which in turn unlock more equipment and encounter cards, which you then can select in the deck building mode.

The first few games are quite easy but once you get to the end of the first row of challenges it'll unlock a power card which makes the game harder and some of the encounters are quite nasty even now.

Here's a short video of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8gTSYGhWT4

It looks really sweet, the little third person encounters seem okay but the controls are a bit simplistic.

Edit: I went ahead and bought it, gonna be a fun past time for the week. I'll report back if its amazing.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 14, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Sure, report back after playing, I'm interested in how you'll like it.

It's actually really decent. A bunch of cards interact well and the resource management is a cool extra to keep track of. I managed to beat six of the dungeon bosses so far and for every 3 you beat the difficulty scales up (monsters become stronger) and you also have a chance to see a boss show up in regular encounters. Since you build the dungeon yourself through the deck you can stack a few bonuses in your advantage depending on how the current dungeon boss modifies it. For example the king of dust removes 1 gold for every 15 health you have after a combat encounter, this means if you're at high health you're losing 5-8 gold every time you finish a combat section which means you want to spend all your gold at every shop and encounters that give gold are generally worth less (treasure chest).

Weapons have bonuses against certain enemies, maces are very effective against the undead, swords are effective against living monsters and axes are in between. I really like the fire mace which absolutely wrecks the undead but you don't actually encounter them much at all which makes it less good. Some of the cards interact well also but the random nature of the game means you can end up never getting that bonus. I got the temple forge along with the metal card, I think I'm supposed to find the metal and then go to the temple but in my last run I got the temple and in one area and then the metal in the next area. I could go back up but it would cost me at least 15 food to do so. Generally you can eat a disadvantage or bad card to unlock tokens. Each card comes with a token and when you beat that card favorably you earn the token which unlocks other cards, you don't lose tokens if you lose the dungeon.

Overall I like it, but some encounters can really stack against you in awful ways and you'll be dodging like crazy when you're up against 10+ enemies and I've only found 3 aoe spells so far and they are rare. Definitely worth the $20 it costs on Steam right now though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

Another demo video from Darkest Dungeon. Showing off some different characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-93DwbVSmA

I do like that if the sanity gets too high you have a chance for a buff or debuff.

Yeah there seems to be a whole bunch of possible effects. The courage and fearful buff/debuffs are temporary and only last for the combat round (or until you return to town maybe) but others like paranoia are permanent for the character. I also noticed that in both videos the quest wasn't enough to level up anyone, only giving half an xp bar so I hope there's some way to distinguish quest difficulty so you can level up lowbies (and higher level characters will get less xp).

There's 4 dungeons in the beginning that spawn quests and I expect the darkest dungeon itself is open ended in a true roguelike sort of way where you can't return easily like you can when you kill the necromancer.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Paranoia, greed, abusive and so on are permanent quirks and seem to come from stress events. From what I've seen I think that things like clumsy (a physical debuff) comes from books or other events. The courageous and fearful buff/debuff I think expire either after the combat or after coming back to town and they seem to be a flat 25% modifier to stress gains for the whole party.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I picked up Dungeon of the Endless and it's pretty darn hard. I think I got most of the mechanics down but I can't figure out how to manually power or unpower rooms to control spawns. I also keep trying to err on the side of caution and stockpile as much poo poo as possible so I'm usually swimming in industry and just spending all my food on levels and new heroes.

So far I've been playing with the robot guy who gets operator at level 3 which seems really good and the fast lady with a sword. Any other combo's that are good? I'd like to get a competent strategy together so I can get further than level 3 on easy.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm really excited for the backer release of the Darkest Dungeon on Friday. But I need something to tide me over until then, so did anything get released in the last two months that I missed?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Finally finished a game of the Curious Expedition. It's a really great and goofy game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Any tips on how to get high standing? I'm still missing that one explorer.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Unormal posted:

...our FPS system-shock-inspired roguelike prototype keeps sprouting. Textures from the goondev of Dropsy fame.

Are you making Space Station 13 or something?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Does Tharsis count as a roguelike? It came out today and from watching Quill18's playthrough it's a very dice heavy FTL-lite. I might pick it up since it's just $10 but I'm not sure if it has a lot of replay value.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Stelas posted:

I feel like Renowned Explorers is the best FTL-like because the game's events are weighted in such a way that you can know roughly what checks are coming up and specifically plan for them to mitigate bad RNG to a greater degree than 'I sure hope I find a shop' FTL problems.

On that note the Curious Expedition had a good update a while ago and it's a very robust and enjoyable game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What is everyone's impression on Wayward Terran Frontier? I like the concept but it doesn't seem to have gotten very far since Scott Manley did a video on it a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Long Journey Home got released last night. I've only played with it one evening but so far it seems like a pretty robust space roguelike. You fly around and gather resources on planets, trade with aliens and buy upgrades for your ship/lander. The difficulty is pretty rough at first and I've learned to avoid the high gravity worlds because your lander will crush itself against the surface before your retro thrusters manage to stall your descent.

It's a bit on the expensive side for what it is though.