Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

CDDA is pretty cool, everyone gets weird about the bondage poo poo and vibrators but it's not like Mad Max and Fallout don't have the same stuff, minus the fursuit. Which, by the way, makes excellent fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Ahaha speak of the devil.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

"A full body fursuit in the form of an anthropomorphic wolf. It is quite encumbering and offers little storage but is very warm."

I took it outside, threw it on the highway, and set it on fire.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

what I'm getting at is you should play Cataclysm it's real good.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

The current stable version (0.C) is way ahead of what the old janky Cataclysm was. It has some questionable choices but way more core game now.

If you play the experimental builds you get a lot of new stuff that may or may not work, but nothing outright crashes the game now if you disable NPCs.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Yeah do it, tried the game when you mentioned it and couldn't make sense of loving anything but it seems super cool.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Unormal posted:

EI6??-58AVA-ZKZXN (?? = not a real machine)

Either someone snagged this right quick or something's not right.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Looks to me like a crab punched you about 72 times for 106 damage. drat shame.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Picked up Risk of Rain, for $2 why not? Seconding ToME, it's got some issues but overall is really slick and lots of fun.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Oh god please don't do the whole circular "what is/isn't a roguelike" thing for the thousandth time.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

What am I meant to do about mountains in One Way Heroics? My current strategy of going over them and praying doesn't seem to help.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

victrix posted:

You got it backwards, we successfully evicted it from this thread, it can stay there

stay safe dungeon dive thread

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm trying to think of what the soundtrack to Qud would sound like, what style, and I can't decide on anything.

Synth. Lots and lots of synth. I'm talkin' John Carpenter level synth.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

It's pretty cool, not something you can play for hours on end just do to it's nature but it's a fun time.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Symphony of the Night is a great example of suffering through a lack of loot for good stuff. I mean you do end up with a pile of items but it's not too bad.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

The issue with FTL is that if you don't get certain items your run is absolutely hosed.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

I haven't played FTL in a long rear end time so I'm probably wrong. I also played on Hard 90% of the time so bias and all that.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Combine that with your small damage numbers idea and I'd play the poo poo outta it.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Personally I say it "qud"

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Wow they picked easily the least capable person to review a roguelike.

Picked up Qud yesterday, hopefully there's time to get murdered in the wastes tonight.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

He could have at least made a token effort to read some of the documentation, but he pretty clearly didn't and then blamed the game for being too random and hard. Roguelikes are a lot more niche than sports games so I'd think it's more important to have a reviewer with some familiarity on the job.

It's the exact same thing as someone who sucks at fighting games reviewing one then complaining when it's hard and complex and they keep getting bodied.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

victrix posted:

Unless you make a ton of effort to make your roguelike friendly and approachable, most players are going to bounce right off. And yeah, 'reading the manual and attendant documentation' is in fact, a pain in the rear end to most people these days.

See that's their issue, not the game, so if you aren't willing to spend 10 minutes giving a skim over what does what you can't really whine too much when you get eaten by salamanders and snails over and over. My main arguement is that more niche genres should probably be reviewed by people with passing familiarity to that niche. Saying 'it was hard and I died a lot" doesn't really contribute anything.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Unormal posted:

I keep trying but he REALLY likes to wield a lead slug in his left hand.

If I found a slug made of lead I wouldn't let the little dude go either.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Eh, I've never been a big fan of RPS and don't want a big internet slapfight so let's agree to disagree and get back to talkin' 'bout our CoQs.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Is Regen actually a good mutation or is a total newbie trap? Seems decently powerful but 5 points is pretty steep.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Kinda figured, but thanks for the confirmation. RIP 4 armed hairy plant man you were to confusing for this world.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

I feel like the extremely harsh penalty for gently caress ups is really what makes roguelikes what they are. They're different from other rpgs in that you don't progress overall in numbers (outside of each character), you progress in knowledge. Essentially you have to level up what you know about the game instead of brute forcing it, even if that knowledge does eventually lead to learning an efficient way to brute force things. Complaining about permadeath to me means roguelikes really just arent for you, which is why that Qud review sorta bugged me.

But as has been said, there's a big difference between something like IVAN and something a little less malicious.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Victrix you make a lot of good points, but I have to specifically disagree with one. I actually think running into situations where your only real option is to run the gently caress away is a pretty core roguelike thing. It really adds to the whole feeling of being stuck in a very hostile environment and games where you can slug your way through everything end up weaker in the end imo. I know Cataclysm isn't a traditional RL or anything, but once you hit the point where most zombies aren't a threat anymore, the games becomes dull as hell unless you go out of your way to create probelms for yourself.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

victrix posted:

I think they did a pretty good job, when I beat crawl the first time it was a few weeks after I started, and I don't recall looking up much more than 'hey, what's a good newbie race/class setup' and maybe something on how skill xp worked back then?

Crawl has a lot more crap in it these days, but not, I think, a lot more complexity, which is pretty good design really. Definitely a lot of stuff you can play poorly or have a really loving hard time with though.

Every time I come back to check it out they've added another few gods/magic widgets/spells/enemies/vaults/etc. Though they do sometimes slice stuff out, pretty sure it's a lot more added than removed.

The main issue with Crawl is that it's really just kind of dull. I find by about midgame you know you're gonna win or you're not and from there on it sorta becomes a slog. Probably doesn't help that is has an ultra generic setting and a whole pile of pretty uninteresting classes too. Though last time I played it (forever ago) I had lots of fun with Transmuters and the weirder classes.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Is there any way to get the Praetorian's starter gear like the desert rifle in Qud, or is it a case of it'd be useless by the time you ran into it anyways?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Oh, really? Guess I've just been unlucky with my chests and merchant lists so far. The gun is the only part I'm really concerned about, that penetration value early on is real nice.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i quit playing a while ago because it takes so much time and there's so many areas that somehow manage to be dull as gently caress. that and the fact that there's multiple gods and whatever that still exist that are really poor mishmashes of dumb poo poo (all okawaru does is give you two things that make you hit better and gift you 90% useless poo poo. ????????????)

Pretty much, for every cool thing Crawl does (octopodes are my poo poo) it manages to miss the point on many more.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

I'd sum up Crawl as being too big for it's britches at this point. It just feels bloated and unfocused, especially compared to the newer more modern takes on the genre.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Bleu posted:

And so the cycle is complete. The student has become the master. Crawl is ADOM. Sil is Angband. Elona is...still Elona.

Speaking of the anime fever dream that is Elona, +1.47 is out on the jp wiki as of yesterday.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Message log is perfectly servicable until you get your 4 armed death tornado going, in which case it dramatically shits the bed.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

The steam forums for Qud are even more of a horrible cesspit than most steam forums.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

This is gonna sound so fanboy but Unormal you're a really awesome dude for how open you are about your fuckups and fixes and general willingness to support Qud.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

andrew smash posted:

When playing espers, do you guys prefer taking the esper morphotype, or scumming mutation rolls with precognition?

I'm lazy and don't bother scumming, it hasn't seemed to make much difference so far. I don't find precog super useful at low level anyways.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

inscrutable horse posted:

My problems with espers/praetorians is more because of my playstyle than anything else. Muties require a greater focus on using active abilities, which I always forget in favor of bumping monsters to death, and that's where the syzygyrior shines IMO. The free dual-wield skills are ded killy, and for someone who isn't afraid to grind snapjaws for a while, are worth more than the praet's starting equipment.

I've got the same issue playing mutants. Always forget about my active abilities until it's too late, because bumping is just instinct at this point. At least if you're a Praetorian you can yell at robots to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Skills being sort of the odd duck is the open secret of CoQ. Mutations are more reliable in general but there's some situations where you'll be super happy to have stuff like Jump or other movement based skills.

«2 »