Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Try Rogue Legacy or Risk of Rain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Red Rogue is an awesome game with an awesome soundtrack.

Action and platformer roguelikes are my favorite kinds of roguelikes. I used to play traditional ones a lot more but I'm easily distracted and kind of scatterbrained and it's hard for me to stay interested in them very long.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

There's Risk of Rain too, it's not really traditional platforming but I can't get enough of that game lately. It's absolutely superb.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Some classes are way better multiplayer (like Enforcer and Sniper).

Sniper is totally viable singleplayer, they just have a very high skill floor and are somewhat item dependent. Don't let anybody tell you they're bad or only for mp though.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Also about Risk of Rain: is there an "easiest" class as far as both unlocking and beating the game?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Technically the easiest by far is the Huntress, and you only get her by collecting 15 monster logs which can take a bit. To be honest, more or less every class can do moderately well if you enjoy the playstyle and get some good item drops, with the Enforcer probably being the one exception because it's slightly bad in comparison.

As Kool-Aid said, Huntress is very strong, although it can take some time to unlock her. Fortunately, the class that's unlocked from the very beginning, the Commando, is fairly strong and easy to learn. The first classes you will probably unlock after him are the Bandit and Enforcer. The Enforcer is fun but also the weakest class in the game, but you may want to give the Bandit a try, it seems to come down to personal preference whether people like him or the Commando better.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Dr. Dos posted:

Somebody did make what was a Pac-Man roguelike, but I can't remember what it was called.

You're thinking of forget-me-not!

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Play Tower of Guns it owns

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Ziggurat's decent, kind Hexenish kind of thing. A single playthrough is a little on the long side, and the various characters don't feel /super/ distinct but the combat's pretty good and there's some interesting weapons.

Tower of Guns is really good. Cave Story-style experience system to level up your guns, (you pick one at the start of your run and sometimes if you're lucky you'll find another gun hidden while you're playing,) enemies are mostly stationary turrets that just vomit out insane quantities of bullets, so the focus is really on movement more than anything. The levels consist of prefab rooms strung together in a random order but there's /tons/ of variety, and the prefab nature means the dev was able to hide secrets that are very much in the spirit of older fpses (in ziggurat it's like binding of isaac, there's one secret per level and you just find the cracked wall to shoot, that's it)

Tower of Guns also has a really great and weird sense of humor, there's a number of random, equally nonsensical stories that you can get (or just disable them altogether if they annoy you) and some really cool hidden things, messages from the dev, and so forth, it was really obviously a labor of love. Also one of the powerups is an extra jump and if you get a real good run going you'll often end up being able to just kind of stay in the air for a huge amount of time, jumping over and over and raining death down on everything and drat does it feel good.

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 4, 2014

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

"Kind of Hexenish" is not really a selling point since Hexen was really, really bad. One weapon per character per episode (and they all suck) and the levels are all huge key/switch mazes, except the key or switch might actually be for a completely different level (that you may even have already explored, but now it's different! Good luck finding out where!) I'm not really much of a fan of the whole Doom/Hexen/Heretic line in general, but Hexen was definitely* the worst.

If you just mean the overall aesthetic, physics, etc, it's a bit more interesting.

Yes, there aren't switches or keys at all in Ziggurat. Sorry for being unclear. The focus is mostly on the combat, which is suitably fast paced and hectic. There's decent enemy variety, too. It's an all right game.

If you have to choose, though, I'd for sure say Tower of Guns first. I've spent an unhealthy amount of time playing that game.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Finally got Sproggiwood! It owns. I'm very bad and keep dying because the roguelikes I usually play are the genre hybrids like Risk of Rain/Tower of Guns/The Binding of Isaac that are more actiony and I'm bad at taking the time to think about what I'm doing.
But still. This game is a hell of a lot of fun. The enemy design reminds me a lot of Crypt of the Necrodancer, in that each one feels really distinct and has its own behaviors and a different 'trick' to beating them.
The skill system seems a little simple but I'm hoping there will be enough variety in all the different classes I'll be unlocking + experimenting with different item builds to keep things fresh. Not very far in yet but I'm really enjoying myself and looking forward to playing some more. Nice work Unormal.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Unormal posted:

Should be ready for beta of full controller support and holiday content this week! Just a couple little things to tidy up.

aw yesssss, controller support is something I've kind of been wishing this game had

vvv Oh sweet. K. I'll let you know if anything breaks.

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 7, 2014

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Happylisk posted:

I better not be the only one of you nerds looking forward to some righteous monster crushing all day Tuesday when Dungeonmans is formally released!!!

After I finish Sproggiwood, Dungeonmans is next in my crosshairs. Other than people in this thread saying that it's good I dunno much about it, so I'm anticipating lots of pleasant surprises.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Time for me to jump on Dungeonmans as well, now that I've beaten Sproggiwood. (Fantastic little game by the way Unormal. My favorite class is Thief I think, although I'm also very fond of the Archer and Farmer.) I know next to nothing about it other than all the glowing praise I've read in this thread, so I'm looking forward to embarking on a journey of discovery and dismemberment.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I played one round of Dungeonmans and died ignominiously to some kinda scrobold boss in the first dungeon but I am already in love with this game. I am not sure what I was expecting from a game called 'Dungeonmans' but I was taken completely off guard by how gloriously silly it is. It seems unlikely that "stremf" or "real armor" will ever fail to make me chuckle a little.
btw i died because i specced into bannermans for that one thing that makes the mans weak to getting arrowed, cast it on the boss, and then didn't have enough stamina left to jump away when he came to club my face in. oops. :doh:

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

madjackmcmad posted:

An immutable law of customer interactions, which is also why there will never be auto explore or click to move in Dungeonmans. It's never enough. I'd end up with reviews like "I can't believe the auto-pathing 'algorithim' prioritized picking up the two handed hammer before the two handed sword when my play history has shown a clear preference for edged weapons. 1/10 No-Buy, here's a link to the torrent."

Ah, I was wondering if there was an autoexplore button in dmans. Guess that answers that! Haha. At least there are 'go to nearest up/down staircase' keys.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Tollymain posted:

just watched a stream for delver, it looks about what my expectations for "minecraft-as-roguelike" pegged it to be

in a good way, or in a bad way

vvv Yo sounds good man, thanks for the rec

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 28, 2015

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I got Gungeon and I agree with a lot of the things people are saying here about it being pretty fun and clever, but although it's challenging in a lot of good and fun ways it's also very punishing in a lot of bad ones.

1. Enemies, including bosses, should have about 25-50% less health than they do. Ha ha, bullet sponges, gun joke.

2. The game is extremely stingy with health and ammo drops.

3. Basic items, such as health, ammo, keys, and so on, cost a lot more in the shop than they probably should.

4. Bosses will give you a heart container when you beat them... but only if you didn't take damage

The result of this is that there tends to be a death spiral effect where if you start to lose, it becomes harder and harder to recover. The game also rewards you disproportionately for doing well and punishes you for the opposite, IE, bosses will drop a heart container only if you beat them without taking damage, in other words you get extra health only if you don't need it. This also means that the difficulty of the game is shifted away from the combat somewhat and becomes more reliant on luck.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

The big one here IMO is the ammo drop thing. It sucks to have a zillion cool guns, but no ammo for any of them. it's too luck-dependent right now.

yeah exactly it's a game about cool toys where you can't actually use the cool toys.

Also I forgot about how ammo and armor will actually disappear if you leave them lying on the floor and leave the room. Like, resource management is a big part of the game, which is fine, except for the part where it won't actually let you manage your resources. It's dumb and shouldn't be a thing. And like, it's not even like in Isaac where it's a huge chore to backtrack through the whole floor picking things up after you're done, since Gungeon has such a cool teleporter system which makes exploring and backtracking basically painless!

e: again, i do really like this game, there's nothing really FUNDAMENTALLY wrong with it i don't think, it just needs some balancing tweaks and it'd be amazing

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 6, 2016

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Well I have to admit when I first read about Deathstate I didn't think the concept sounded all that interesting, but after reading all the effusive praise for it in this thread I decided I might as well give it a shot, especially considering how cheap it is, and it really is a lot more fun than I was expecting. This would be another one of those instances where I am happy to be proven incorrect.

The game seems quite easy so far - I died in my first game just because I was expecting the game to spawn some kind of invulnerable monster I'd have to run away from Spelunky-style if I took too long rather than starting to quickly drain my health. Lesson learned. The second game, I made it all the way to the final boss, who I died to (he seemed like quite a bit of a difficulty spike compared to the kinds of things I was facing before) but considering how much unlockable poo poo there is in this game I would imagine there's likely a kind of Binding of Isaac thing going on here where the game will start to throw tougher and tougher challenges at me the more I play, so I'm not too worried about the difficulty.

The one major complaint I have is how distracting, obnoxious, and headache inducing a lot of the visual effects in the game are - the black smudges the game constantly displays in the corners for some reason, all the distortion and stuff that happens when you get hit (this keeps getting me hit AGAIN because I lose track of what's happening) and those weird bars of negative color that go scrolling across the levels sometimes. Really wish there was a way to tone some of the effects down and make it a little less visually busy.

Aside from that though, drat fine game! I'm really pleasantly surprised by this one. Filling up your little paperdoll in the inventory screen with all kinds of grotesque organs is satisfying to me in the same way that the monstrosities your character becomes in Isaac are.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

woop woop got my first kill on what is, as I suspected, not actually the final boss of Deathstate, but actually the Mom of Deathstate.

oh well I killed it! blue demon carry me to victory

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

baram. posted:

I just played a bunch more and while I didn't get that far, I did beat the first zone's boss a couple times and broke some shrines to summon a cthulhu and kicked it's butt. I'm really bad at dodging and also dodge into stuff all the time. Still trying to figure out where exactly the hitbox is because sometimes I get hit when it doesn't look like I should.

there's an option in the menu to make your hitbox visible.

the crystal skull shrines will make the game harder but i think (?) you also get better rewards. plus the stuff you get for killing the boss that gets summoned.

e: when i said 'headache' earlier i was exaggerating slightly but i do get SERIOUSLY intense eyestrain if i play more than a round or two in a row. oh well maybe this will help encourage me to not throw my life away just playing this game all day :v: also as far as i can tell turning the scan lines toggle in the options to 'off' actually turns them on and vice versa.

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 21, 2016

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

the Eye character + laser sword + artifact with extra projectiles active ability (forget the name) + king in yellow complete for good measure + tons of damage up organs = an Id that melted (both phases) in less than 30 seconds.

also Eye's ending is very :3:

eye think that Eye is the best.

e: i don't know if extra projectiles actually affects the laser at all. eye's innate laser + the laser attacks sword definitely had an interaction, the width of the beam doubled and it did a lot more damage. the organs that normally change your firing pattern though (fire in a burst, fire in a spread, etc) didn't seem to affect it at all though, only give me more damage.

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 21, 2016

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Extra Shots doesn't actually work like I was assuming it did. Once I paid attention for a second I realized it doesn't actually interact with your main attack at all... it's just an active ability that... fires extra shots...

also i said this before but drat getting the Golden Gladius with Eye is INCREDIBLY strong. I think it might actually just straight up double your damage.

also also I was assuming the reason I had 'luck abounds' before was desecrating an altar, but actually it's the Starchild Cataract Eye that does that. Sometimes. Or sometimes it does other things. I picked one up just now and got Sale! which seems obvious as to what it does, and Enemy Team, which is less so. Very good item though for sure.

it does, however, seem like there are definitely more elites that spawn the more levels of desecration you have, so you still get more items in that way, at least.

e: and now next floor I have Luck Abounds instead? I guess Expanded Insight just causes a different random passive effect every layer?

ee: man desecrated grave of time is miserable, that was a really good run i just lost. it's those horned beetle guys - they spread that slime everywhere and it slows the pace of the game down to a crawl. you either have to spend a million years waiting for that gunk to go away and die to time out, or rush and die to bullets. it sucks

eee: okay but for real though what is this weird effect i keep seeing occasionally? it keeps happening on certain layers sometimes and i'm convinced there's some significance to it but i dunno what:

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 21, 2016

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

how curious.

i maintain that the black fog overlay thats constantly at the edges of the screen and all the static and distortion effects the game constantly uses are really distracting and hard on the eyes (its a bit less of a problem with for instance the shoggoth like enemies where that's like their whole gimmick, but its really awful having everything turn into a huge garbled mess when i get hit, or when changing stages... it would be cool to have an option to at least tone down the effects a bit at least)

the biggest problem i have with the damage field though is that enemy projectiles don't get the same colored outline that most other things do so they just completely blend into the background inside of it, which feels a little unfair (you can actually see what i'm talking about in the uppermost screenshot there)

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I once opened a large chest only for one of the prizes to be a resurrection potion, which caused me to immediately die when all of the poo poo I'd just killed to claim my prize suddenly came back to life.

I couldn't even be mad about that one. I just sat there and laughed for a little while.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

the grave of time can seriously heck itself directly to gently caress though

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Speaking of Desecration, is there any way to keep the Star Child from just teleporting right on top of you and shooting?

it only teleports when you run away from it or try to get behind cover

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

hah, no, i played that game and liked it well enough but that's definitely wayyyy overselling it lmao

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Tollymain posted:

remember that conquest of elysium game we played for a month

i still play it every now and then when i get a hankerin to crush some bad guys with the troll king or whatever. that game's a real fun little time waster.

as for the senator try sending a few crusades after him to soften him up, and then put together a few doom stacks of paladins or whatever the sacred horse guys are called. breaking the first few seals not too expensive relicwise but at a certain point buffing your blessed units becomes more cost effective especially once you start getting a lot of paladins/paladin commanders around and you can just start crushing

just note that any of your blessed units you leave sitting around without a commander can be scooped up by angels and such that happen to wander by. this can be a good thing or a bad thing

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

immortal redneck is strictly better than ziggurat in every single way

honestly, i liked ziggurat a lot, but even i have to admit that this is the truth. immortal redneck is rad as hell and just absolutely the best roguelite fps that there is pretty much

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

been watching a guy stream demoncrawl a lot lately and i kept going back and forth on actually getting it myself but when i finally caved i ended up playing it for like seven hours straight