Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I've played a few roguelikes many times, primarily DCSS and Dungeons of Dredmore. I never get super far in these games though because the way I want to play - moving through things quickly - doesn't mesh with the slow, methodical play style the games require. I'd like a roguelike that I can complete in an hour or so. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Bouchacha posted:

DoomRL on the easiest difficulty. Really though, you're asking for essential a non-roguelike. Mindless playing doesn't jibe very well with the genre.

Well I enjoy the roguelike-likes that can be completed relatively quickly, such as FTL and Binding of Isaac. I was just wondering if any roguelikes came close to this.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
In DCSS, what race can best handle no good equipment/spells for a few floors while still being able to take advantage of these when they come along? I'm addicted to playing wanderers.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Humans Among Us posted:

Draconians are really nice for this but they can't wear a lot of armor. I like to play Ogre Hybrids (wizard start or similar) occasionally. You can get a TON of fighting and clubbing going on very fast with +3 apts and then later on choose a magic school and focus train it for a while. If you find drake/dragon armors you can wear those and they are pretty nice to have. Worshipping Ash is amazing for such a run.

Oh man I've been playing lots of Ogres recently and I love them to death. I actually have been playing them as stealthy characters to decent effect; I know they have a terrible time of it, but not wearing armor helps and -1 aptitude isn't so bad, while stealth-clubbing is all the fun of stabbing without the terrible-weapon-having that comes after. One run I worshiped Cheribidos and monsters would zoom by me all ?, being unable to see my hulking mass while I lumbered. Unfortunately I died to a combination of a mysterious invisible enemy who never left me even during floor changes and who I could never even attack (no messages even when attacking either direction of corridor) and some rear end in a top hat unique who took 0 damage slouches in Orc 2.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

I have!

The best way I can describe it is “Dominion style card game as a rogue-lite” I personally find it a lot of fun, but the current difficulty curve goes something like this: die for 30 runs in a row until you learn the good deck builds, then win about 25% of time. It’s one of those early access games where its main flaw is janky incompleteness, but the basic formula is solid and fun.