Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Klaus Kinski posted:

Slay the spire has been getting some hype lately and I don't think it has been mentioned here.
It's a deck building roguelike that tries some new things compared to dream quest and monster slayers.

I really like this game but I'm gonna second that it's rather light on content. Some things I'd love to see:

- starting with a few relics in place already so you get a fun deck online quicker, it's very boring to start off with the same defend/slash deck over and over again
- the option to somehow recycle or save or otherwise reuse absolutely hilarious combos you encounter without rolling the dice over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Slay the spire is roguelike dominion.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Slime posted:

So I got Slay The Spire and after a bunch of games...it's a good game don't get me wrong, but once you've experienced the fun of what you can do later, the first act is loving bad. You've got no real choices to make in combat, there's nothing to make you really think about what you're going to do. I'd really love the option to just skip to act 2 and have the game toss me a bunch of cards to pick from to make a deck that actually has some synergy instead of praying you get something workable in the first few fights.

I'm hoping the game will include some kind of skip ahead option at release.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm still hoping for some kind of fast play mode in Slay the Spire which boots you to level three after letting you select a few relics/cards. Or just anything which lets you skip the first quarter of the game in which you make barely any decisions once you've played for a while.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
ToME4 is probably my favorite roguelike, it's a shame there's no version for iOS (though I wouldn't get anything done at work)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

No Wave posted:

I bought risk of rain 2. I've been running around the first level for 35 minutes looking for a teleporter. Still have no idea where it is. Is this what the game is like?

Look for floating red/yellow particles. After some playing you'll be able to locate the teleporter within 10 seconds on most maps.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cogmind looks excellent and I’ve snap bought it after seeing the intro, but it’s so far intimidated me into not playing it

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Is there actually a way to play multiplayer by inviting your friends in Monster Train?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Snake Maze posted:

And I'm not a fan of the argument that it's morally wrong to leave negative reviews because of ~the algorithm~. If the algorithm is busted complain about that, not the people leaving negative reviews in good faith.

Nobody here is leaving negative feedback in good faith after four hundred hours in-game because everyone here is aware of the algorithm. C'mon.

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 15, 2020

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

John Lee posted:

Two problems:

It removes the card collecting and battling minigame, which isn't related to the meat of the game but it WAS pretty fun, and playing co-op changes the music inescapably to this horror:

https://youtu.be/M4ZQ3LvxW9E?t=20

Just needs a kazoo

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Duderclese posted:

I remember it being talked about a while ago but does anyone have any tips for cultist simulator? My most successful run thus far I kinda seemed to hit a brick wall and eventually just crumbled after about an hour of making no progress.

Mainly wondering if I should be spreading out or leaning in to one of the three main stats to start. Last run I went reason/passion which was good when I couldn't seem to make any money off of a level three(maybe four?) passion skill.

I'm a few runs in and what's been working well for me is spending a good while at the start of a game getting the basics in order. 4 in every stat, bunch of cash, steady job, collect some people. Try not to get in trouble, mystique is fine. That's usually when I start working on buying books and reading them, saving up the poetry/essay books for when I want to get the related skill to 5.

Painting is a very nice job.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

SKULL.GIF posted:

Rift Wizard added a bunch of new shrines.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1271280/announcements/detail/2971794942853024952

The deathchill chimera one seems perfectly designed for Death Bolt Soul Battery.

Thanks for alerting me about this game, it rules. It's way hard though. I got to like realm 11 and then just got owned by attrition

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

cock hero flux posted:

fantastic, I've been looking for an opportunity to complain about this

there was actually a way for a player, using knowledge and forward planning, to vastly mitigate the effects of attrition and only pick fights they could win by looking 2 steps ahead. then some guy on the discord said it was tedious so it was removed, and now the way that you deal with attrition is to be lucky and just hope you find a lot of mana potions.

It was because I ran out of health, actually. I spawned a lot of burning ghosts with fireball + dark spells and that one skill, which was great, but then I had 6 hp and a ranged blinking enemy ganked my rear end

Fun game though. What was removed?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh, yeah, that helps. Though that would have probably been too much planning ahead for me, I prefer just being able to adapt and overcome in roguelikes.

Razakai posted:

My favourite Rift Wizard strategy atm is going for early Arch Sorcerer. You can pick up 3 cantrips and then AS on floor 3. While it's 7 points, it's not far off the equivalent of getting +damage for all 3 cantrips (and a few bonus charges and range) so you're pretty much breaking even. What it does mean is you have incredible flexibility afterwards, as every sorcery you buy gets the boost. Especially great with high power, low charge spells like Chill Wind.
Both wins so far have been lightning builds as there's an incredible amount of synergy available. Plus many of your spells ignore LoS so it's very safe.

Nice idea, got me to realm 7 or so just now. My favorite spell so far is chain lightning, but I haven't been able to build around it that effectively yet.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Armauk posted:

Did I stutter?

packetmantis lives to get into fights in threads about unrelated stuff, don't worry about it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

cock hero flux posted:

Yes, all changes which exist to haphazardly pave over the problems the scouting change caused. The end result is that what could once be solved with thought is now RNG dependent. Winning is less about playing well and more about being lucky.

I don't know about this. Scouting ahead isn't the same as playing well, imo. If this game was balanced around me scouting multiple rooms ahead I would not play it, that's way too methodical for me.

Made it to floor 16 just now, think the game is clicking

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Woo, first rift wizard win. It seems like some shrines can really amp a spell up to 11 all by themselves. I had a plague of filth spell with the shrine that makes monsters take fire damage every time a creature died. That was fun, but god drat does Mordred pack a punch. I had no idea what I was up against, so the next time I'm definitely grabbing a one-shot skill just to chew through that 700 hp.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

cock hero flux posted:

plague of filth is good enough that you can win the game with it by itself with no shrines. Throw on that shrine and take melting armour and you shred pretty much everything. This is true for basically every source of fire damage and melting armour, by the way. try it with searing orb if you want the easiest possible win.

Mordred in particular gets completely hosed by it because the resistance reduction never wears off, has no cap, and doesn't reset when he reincarnates so by his last life you can easily get him to -700% resistance at which point basically any damage will murder him

I assumed -resistance was capped so I didn't play much with it, but knowing this...

Also I finally assembled the soul harvest/death roulette combo, only to be beaten up by a bunch of dark-immune snakes (the other rift had dark immune enemies too). Dammit

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah but everyone agrees Richard is a narcissist

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I did wolfer in rift wizard and it was the coolest run I did. I love the game

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You can press a button to show los and hazard areas in rift wizard, helped me a lot

Open zones were my bane when doing wolfer

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah you can wait.. or just play it as is, since it’s a good game?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I still consider earning the Wolfer achievement my proudest moment in roguelike gaming

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I went for clay wolves and gave them fat resists, then stacked life on them + some auras and they just melted poo poo

Houndmaster is incredibly strong though, it wins rifts by itself early on

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
In Rift Wizard I usually get nightmare aura early on because even with barely any upgrades it just carries you through the first 5 or so levels entirely by itself. Then I see about either keeping it going with a combo, or I use the 15+ SP I banked to just straight up buy a build that goes well with whatever circles I find.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kanos posted:

Congratulations!

Now you can join me in the cursed hell of playing random gimmick builds to try to find something that feels remotely as powerful and effective. :smith:

Cantrip spam with arch sorc and cascade is real good. Fireball/nightmare aura + ghostfire trivializes a lot too

I got my easiest wins with cantrip spam

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
ToME to me is just a huge labor of love of a roguelike, it’s one of the best games I’ve played

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

juggalo baby coffin posted:

even the simple classes have like 5 different almost identical abilities from level 1

Yeah isn’t it great?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

juggalo baby coffin posted:

thanks for the advice. i got to level 15 as a necromancer but then used up all my lives on some random dickhead who stopped all my teleport and shield powers working and instakilled me

You probably got silenced, which is the nr 1 killer until 100% silence resist.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I wish those were on ios

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I like that game, yeah. Though I’m just at ascension level 4 or 5.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I’ve played voidigo for a total of three hours and I’m convinced it’s better than nuclear throne, it’s really really good

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah some roguelikes have overarching storylines which imo are a completely valid reason to leave stuff locked for a while.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
In roguelikes with random drops the drop pool can also end up diluted with stuff you wouldn’t know how to use or plan around as a new player

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Loop Hero is only an idle game if you don’t understand how to play it

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah, but it's very clearly a game with a start and an end as well as the expectation you are at the wheel 100% of the time, it's not like the typical idle game where you are expected to set up some sort of engine and just peace out for an hour while getting dozens of upgrades which make number go up faster. I'm more saying that if you are going for a purely idle experience, it'll feel very tedious because it's an optimisation puzzle with a handful of incremental-like mechanics put into it. A game in which you can unlock pretty much all relevant upgrades in a few hours of playing wouldn't really make it to my idle game hall of fame while Loop Hero absolutely was one of the better games I played when it came out.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jack Trades posted:

The only real "gameplay" in there is card placement and equipment switching and both of those are absolutely busywork and don't involve any decision making once you figure out the mechanics of the game, and if not for that busywork the game would've been exactly an Incremental Game.

this just isn't true at all because of all the interactions between tiles and specific stats being better against some mobs than others. when you start the game you constantly edit your deck, optimise card placement, and find out that different strategies are better with different classes (rogue wants lots of monsters instead of only high quality ones for example). unless your argument is 'once you know everything about the game, the decisions you make are limited' in which case yes, that is how puzzle games based on finding out information tend to work.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The actual gameplay is the deck building and exploration of in game interactions of cards, the game has next to zero replayability after finishing it once unless you really enjoy the graphics. I finished the final boss and unlocked everything relevant using the in-game 4x speed at around 10 hours. It's a great game, but there is zero reason to come back to it afterwards because the story is the same, the interactions are the same, etc. Once you know the game, you're done, but getting to know the game is the fun bit.

It's a simple, polished game about starting with zero information and experimenting with interactions. It doesn't have enough staying power to hang with any of the incremental/idle games talked about in the idle/incremental games thread, and it doesn't have the replayability of a rogue like. I'm not sure why it even comes up in this thread tbh.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jack Trades posted:

And loving up because you rushed too fast feels bad and it makes the brain feel bad, and scientific studies say that when it comes to risk/reward assessment human brain tends to put double the weight on negative feelings compared to the positive ones.

Game designers in general would benefit from taking Psychology 101 courses.

Man, you really overestimate the value of your own opinions frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jack Trades posted:

Blade Assault tries really hard to be Hades, down to copying the korean mmo levels of currency variety.

This opinion sucks, both what you mean and the way in which you say it.