Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Unormal posted:

Polish, polish, polish...
[timg][/timg]

and fun stuff...
[timg][/timg]

Are we allowed to talk about the beta? Also I can't wait for it to be doable on Android, tired of doing it online. (though it works well enough on my Surface)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Unormal posted:

I send you a private link to the dropbox that has a current APK via e-mail, if you promise to give honest feedback! ;)

I'd love to get in on this. I'm already in the beta but it would be so much easier to play on my phone and not my screen

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Unless the undocumented features are really cool (which, in fairness, they might be) this release looks like total rear end. Tons of new stuff for Adventure Mode, which remains nothing but a weird curiosity that gets boring after half an hour if you've ever played a traditional roguelike, crippling FPS issues for fortresses, all utilities and mods broken as per usual... oh, but we get big trees. :geno:

A lot of the meat for Fortress mode is beneath the hood. For starters Dwarfs act completely different and have a new emotion system, they also are more people to do important tasks it seems. World Gen got a lot of work so a lot more happens now while the game is running throughout the world. I assume he does this because it affects you with regards to invasions. New creatures were also added I believe and with the new conversation/emotion system invasions should behave differently. However this also comes with its share of bugs and many a dwarf ATM has been killed or maimed due to falling out of a tree.

Also anyone know of a game with an actually not horrible and mind crushingly dull crafting system? All this Pit talk got me thinking about is creating and then Dredmors crafting. I kind wanna play a game where it's not that bad. Teleglitches was nice afaicr.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 12, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Serephina posted:

I'm fairly sure you can?

Sil tries for 'realism' to some degree so no diagonals through corners. Includes elbow bends and what not.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Serephina posted:

How can I put this politely? You are totally, 100% incorrect. And drat you for making me install WINE just to check.

You're probably thinking of a different game, Brogue perhaps?

poo poo I must have been it's been a while since I've okayed probably just combing those 2 since they are the only games I still play completely in ASCII. Wait I forgot caves of qud. Guess there's that whole over confidence thing in action my bad.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Add in DoomRL Arsenal and you even get randomized loot.

Godddamn this is fun, just set it up. Have to play on nightmare at least otherwise it's not much of a challenge.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

If they actually poo poo out levels at random it would be somewhat interesting. Right now you go from bad and boring pre-designed room to the next.

It's what makes OBLIGE so cool, you can change it up from classic style level design to really hosed up (well as hosed as you can get in a DooM engine).

Nintendo Kid posted:

DoomRL is a traditional roguelike based on Doom: http://doom.chaosforge.org/

I have no idea what an arsenal pack is in relation to this, there's a lot of game things called that.

Lastly you're a loving blasphemer.

DooM RL Arsenal is a mod for the ZDooM engine that backports many great items from doomrl into DooM itself.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

There isn't going to be a doom 4, for the same reason there won't be a Rogue 2, a System Shock 3, a Warcraft 4, or a new Baldur's Gat. The series is dead, and no-one wants to build on such a shoddy foundation. Hell, this is why the best roguelike is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and the only good Pokemon game is the 3D one that added hats.

Alright, I think this proves the whole thing is a charade. Nice try buddy but this post went to deep.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Lots of us here have played it, quite a few by my count have also finished hardcore up till 3 as well.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Someone already took both of these without mentioning it in the thread.
No key for me, again. :(

:( :respek: :(

I feel your pain. I've missed em all by not too long.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

TaintedBalance posted:

Just giving a public shout out to Unormal for being a super awesome goon. Lifetime customer status achieved.

Hell yes. I'm convincing people that they need his good games irl.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Pladdicus posted:

The thing about ADOM and Nethack versus something like Crawl is this 'in death you learn' style of gameplay that makes Roguelikes, Roguelikes (among 100000 different arguable things). The difference is that conceivably someone could make it through Crawl much easier on their first ten tries versus ADOM/Nethack because Crawl requires you to be really good at playing it versus Nethack/ADOM which requires you to be really good at playing it and know a lot of hidden mechanics you won't discover until (maybe) you die because you didn't know them.

But part of that is the joy of the older ones, this discover of things like fountains and swords, or of blessed potions, that slow accumulation of knowledge and mastery. But much like older-school MMO design some people really don't want to waste their time, in the case of roguelikes, with learning things like blessed potions of youth.

Well it is rather stupid to die near the end after a fair number of hours because of some bullshit knowledge check.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Names in roguelikes are kind of weird. They are good identifiers for characters, but have a very roleplaying background to them. LiKe my Crawl score list is full of duplicate names, which only usually get changed when I'm using a different race/build. It helps with ghost ability identifying in practice, at least. But how important is each individual character? If I don't make it very far in a game where I have to start all over from the beginning every time it gets rough thinking of a new name every time. Especialky since I'm not the sort that can live with Bob, Boba, Bobb, Bobc, et cetera.

In terms of Names I tend to use the same ones, but retire them once they ascend. I keep this list across all games so for easier games, DoD or the like, I'll use more obscure ones.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

ceebee posted:

What the hell?

Potions for a while have been heal 60%. They got rid of multiple tiers a while ago recently they got rid of it being a physical item on your inventory because it never mattered.

There are legendary potions that are still an item slot. They are also infinite use with some additional riders on use.

All potions have a cool down

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

this is true only if you heal when resting - I'm sure that goes without saying but it's an assumption that can be changed

What would you do then no regen? Healing only through combat? Basically a game where everyone is a DD?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

The maximum of long is much higher than that. Only reason is because they didn't think it would bloat so fast and refactoring is drat hard in such a large project.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

wrong thread im stupid.

But yes Cogmind fits that description hard.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Well I got a few thermal dets, is it still possible to melt some slate for cheap cheesy dosh?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

RickVoid posted:

Go forth and find out for us.

For science.

I died; It was a classic turn of events

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

CoQ chat:
Do cells passively discharge when in an item (say a Electrobow?)

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dredmor is liked for having introduced roguelikes to the broader population, but it has substantial UI problems and pretty shallow gameplay (combat is mostly just bump-attacking, all monsters are broadly similar). I'd say it's definitely worth picking up and playing through once or twice. Its character customization system is still the best I've ever seen in a "mainstream" roguelike (you pick a selection of skill trees instead of a class/race, basically mix&matching your abilities), and there are some reasonably funny jokes in there. Definitely play on No Time To Grind though; the levels are much too big otherwise.

Also hit '+' once or twice. Them animations are terribly slow.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

superh posted:

Yep working as intended! (Obviously not really.)

Googling a bit seems like other people using our input plugin have experienced something similar. I'll try to track down what's up. Thanks for the report!

Thanks for these too!

Thanks for Deathstate, you've made a game that seems like it should be boring, but suddenly eats an hour of my time.
Also I have a weird penchant for deathspirals where I'll be doing fine at 8 health bits and then suddenly I get hit which causes me to get hit more and more till I die because I got hit once.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I noticed your altl UI and figured this was coming. Though now I use the alternate (with the OSB turned off) and I think I like it more than the sidebar due to the fact its much smaller and out of the way.

Is it possible to do UI modding on the workshop?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Unormal posted:

Mark's definitely a mad genius. It's a single 400k line python file, and he doesn't use source control.

uh... This scares me. Does he at least use some sort of manual backups?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Please don't feed the rutibex. He is well known in the board games thread for being... unreasonable.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I don't know how big Chucklefish actually is, wikipedia has them pegged at 16 employees which is quite small for a publisher. I'm curious as to what benefit they pitch to the games they don't develop inhouse as they done quite a few by this point.

As for their actual development inhouse they did gently caress up Starbound quite hard however Wargroove looks interesting enough (I REALLY want some more Advance Wars!) that I'm willing to watch it for a bit and then probably dive in.

As far as the success of games they've published it mostly seems to be off the merit of those games themselves. Risk of Rain is good but niche and did pretty well I think, Stardew Valley is fulfilling a hole of HM on PC and has enough merits of its own to be a great entry into that genre.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Seriously why the gently caress is ToME so loving long, I'm working my way through as a Brawler (WHY THE gently caress ISNT THIS A DEFAULT CLASS?!?!?!) and I've spent so long and am only now getting to Dreadfall, this is disgustingly long, wheres the notime to grind mode which also cuts out the east for being bad?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

ToME draws me in when I get to do the tactical cooldown based fight its builts for. I see a cool Rare boss, and ensure a proper tactical fight, backing off if necessary to reset cooldowns, proper management of infusions/runes. Using my abilties and managing your resource(s) to ensure you don't run out of steam (also a resource) too early and have him chunk you down.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a mod called QuickTome that completely overhauls the game to disincentivize grinding and speed things up: https://te4.org/addons/tome?s=quicktome&tag=

If that's a little too extreme, the Orc campaign is much shorter than the main campaign while also boosting your experience rate.

Also, playing on a higher difficulty, while it doesn't make the game any shorter, does at least greatly increase the rate at which you level.

I see thats by Minmay, a pretty prolific crawl poster, I guess I'm not too surprised they did a mod for ToME to make it more streamlined.

QuickTome Zone Overhaul posted:

Yes, this makes it impossible to get some unlocks and to enter the Infinite Dungeon from the main game. Boo hoo.

yep thats definitely the minmay style.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 13, 2017

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

We Slay Monsters has finally made it to v1.0 after a rather lengthy Early Access jaunt http://weslaymonsters.com/

Shorter form, high replay fare---but I reckon the card wrangling mechanics just might carry it to good places as a twist on the usual.

Axu also returns with a shiny v0.5.0 after the dev needed a bit of a recharge:

https://cynapse077.itch.io/axu-rl

It looks cool but I don't know of anything which became an instant turnoff harder than cards in games. They nearly 100% of the time suck and are uninteresting.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

I did Callisto and the mines/anomaly branch, currently on Valhalla Spaceport. Sentry bots are just godammned bullet sponges.

You really need something with 7.62 rounds that does piercing instead of impact.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

and many don't even use steam to play it! like me

No Wave posted:

3D games are also just bad.

returnal is the best to do it in 3d ime. Housemarque are fantastic tho and it took them a long time to transition to a 3d game.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

My issue with ETG still remains the sluggishness of clearing rooms and floors. Game would be better served with smaller floors and rooms that have more enemies with less HP.

this is my issue too and i rediscover it every time i think hey let's try gungeon again!

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

this was fun, i become a ball of ice freezing and bleeding everything at 200+ speed, used zealot to spam prayers with humbaba and on prayer triggers, berserker plays into it so well, you just become so fast you stand still/move and things die

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp8h2Ty_1tc

you play by the tele and sometimes it plays you... i seriously am still not sure how that guy killed me considering the map was clear but alas this was a minimum input build so lmao.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

fast starjumper is hilarious, beat the game in 62 turns! Turns out teleporting every time you stand still makes it impossible for things to kill you at 50+ speed. They might take one divine intervention but they cant take em

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

King of Bleh posted:

My current problem in Achra is I keep throwing away winnable runs by looking at the forbidden zones, saying "those enemies would almost certainly instantly kill me on turn 2," and then going in anyway.

same

its just so tempting! i did at least stop doing it if they perfectly counter my build

i lost my ice only run at the final boss with under 20k hp, just didn't make it just the finish line

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

this game scratches my brain real good, ive put 16 hours in since getting it cause it really hits that one more turn/build/attempt button.

Geistform is bonkers tho

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Magitek posted:

Am I wrong that player positioning seems really important in Achra? Running up to a firing squad of ranged enemies is suicide in a lot of cases, and controlling LOS is by far the simplest way to counter that.

Blindly spamming tab is an extremely risky playstyle

it is, which is why stand still builds are so funny, just move to corner if you start in a bad area then hit tab

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Is there any logic to how stuff unlocks in Achra? I have about half of cultures and gods now, but only 3 classes, is it just totally random?

seems to be entirely random, i assume its to prevent choice paralysis from seeing all the options at once when you boot it up for the first time, its unlocks them pretty quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

oh god red imps are brutal and contribute a lot to speed being the most important stat by far. since the game runs automatically so much getting more 'turns' inbetween the enemy turns is extremely important to shore up issues, reposition or use prayers. im still trying to get a low speed going but you just die between turns which will eat all your divine interventions.

As far as i can tell each stand still action for instance is not averaged out by game turn but per action, so slow stand still builds blow because you jist do way less actions per turn. if say stand still triggered once at every 1/10th of a turn regardless of speed it would be way more viable even if you didnt get a chance to respond directly after each.

overall i am very pleased with the game especially considering i can look at my design doc for something very similar and I'm intrigued how far they've explored the design space considering the decision to keep things mostly automatic