Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

PantsBandit posted:

Anybody had a chance to try out Isaac on the New 3DS? I'm getting my system in the next couple days and that'll probably be the first thing I pick up on it.

It would be a great adaptation of the game (the controls are great, having the map on a screen of its own where you can doodle on it is great), but Nicalis kind of botched the port. On launch, some enemies would randomly go invisible, and the music would just stop like 5 seconds after it started. Although they've patched that stuff out, the game intermittently freezes, forcing you to restart the console and whatever level you were on, and has general slowdown issues. They supposedly have yet another patch on the way, but the game as it stands is kind of a glitchy mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Burning Rain posted:

This was my experience with Qud: start up, get paralysed with character generation choices, find a suggested newbie build online, start the game, get a quest or two, wander out in the general direction of the quest (west) for screen after empty screen, bump'n'kill one or two coloured dots on each, stop paying attention after 5 minutes of this, suddenly get killed by some other undistinguishable dot, uninstall.

I'm sure there's plenty of interesting stuff hidden under the surface, but the top layer definitely didn't inspire me to go look for it, if I could play other roguelikes instead. Then again, you seem to be catering for a different audience, and I'm perfectly fine not being every game's target audience even in preferred genres.

I had the same issue with character creation. I found a guide that recommended a True Man something or other with a cudgel, I tried that and having most of my choices already made simplified things a bit. It would be nice if the game came with a few suggestions or predefined builds (like how in Crawl you have recommended race/class combos highlighted, and a hints mode that shows off 3 different character archetypes), but that's a preference thing that I could learn to deal with I suppose.

I very much enjoyed the actual game itself, reminded me a bit of ADoM, and the angband variants that have quests and an overworld, which I tend to enjoy so I already have some experience with that. I got strangled to death by a plant while being shot at by another plant, but it seemed like a fun experience and something worth giving another shot maybe.

Although I imagine not fast traveling would make it really awful, I know there's a pop-up but I can't imagine why people would want to travel zoomed in, maybe they should just dump you on the overworld to begin with.

GetDunked fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 12, 2015

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

SKULL.GIF posted:

What did they even remove this time? If anything?

They replaced a bunch of spells with a bunch of more interesting-looking spells, so maybe one of the ones they ripped out (RIP throw frost). I'd check but they deleted their posts and account it seems.

They're also complaining about the complete Fedhas overhaul from 0.24, which I haven't tried but looks like it makes the god a lot less micromanagey in terms of turning corpses to plants and then spending food to evolve plants, instead letting you use piety to summon plants directly (seems like a good change IMO).

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Sure, and that's why players can choose between minotaurs and octopodes. The issue comes up when one of these options is so powerful or weak as to become a non-option; if character C is so strong that everyone could beat the game by holding down tab with no items equipped, then your options are "normal", "20% harder", and "we might as well just take you to the credits". There might be a very tiny segment of players who would be interested in facerolling the game once or twice under these conditions, but in the end it's the same as having two choices instead of three to enjoy the game long term.

New players may not enjoy felids as much and hardcore vets looking for a challenge may not enjoy minotaurs as much, but the closer you stay to the center as far as power level is concerned, the more players can at least interact with the game in a meaningful fashion. If an option requires absurdly good luck and perfect play to win, or the same amount of bad luck and poor play to lose, it may as well not exist. The hard part is figuring out where to strike a balance, and that's mostly subjective-- should we cut character C because it's 50% stronger? 80%? 300%, at which point you have to go zig diving to find something that stands a small chance of killing you? I disagree with cutting many of the more interesting character options entirely like the dev team occasionally does instead of reworking them (hello Djinni and lava orcs!), but it's not an unreasonable stance to take that characters more powerful than a certain threshold should be toned down to increase the number of interesting decisions.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I think there's also a difference between something you have to go way out of your way to set up like pudding farming, and a boring tactic that is effective in most dangerous situations. For example, pillar dancing (an aspect of gameplay, like victory dancing, that I've yet to see anyone mourn). Say my brilliant master plan to fight an ogre on D:1 goes south and I'm running for my life with a sliver of health with an ogre two tiles away. If I come across a freestanding wall, my options are to either pillar dance or almost certainly die. If pillar dancing is removed (or changed with randomized speed increments, which I believe is what they ended up doing) then I almost certainly die. I made a big mistake and now I'm dead forever, that's the roguelike guarantee. If pillar dancing is still around, my options are now do something stupid and boring to have a reasonably good chance at success, wandering monsters permitting, or actively choose to kill off my character, which is an absurd situation to find oneself in. It's like playing one of those mobile games where it exploits player psychology with false choices like "oh no, game over... unless you continue by watching a 30 second ad".

While this is a contrived example using a mechanic that was rightfully gutted ages ago, the same kind of reasoning is applicable to less dramatic choices in typical gameplay. The player shouldn't have to actively curate their own decision space to have fun; "How do I beat Vaults?" is a fundamentally easier and more interesting question than "How do I beat Vaults in a way that balances strategic efficacy with gameplay that is interesting and fun for me, the player?" The onus to create a game that is fun and contains interesting decisions should rightfully rest on the developer and not the player. If a mechanic can be used to trivialize these decisions, and especially if it's boring, it's not doing anything for the game and should be considered for modification or removal.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

No Wave posted:

I'll also mention that games that are easy get a lot more leeway because there's no reason to do the boring thing. When you make your game really hard, as so many roguelikes do, removing optimal but boring tasks becomes much more important because they can become the only way for a player to win.

This is a good point too, and should be weighed along with factors like how often the boring thing is relevant, how big of an advantage it gives you, and how difficult it would be to extricate the boring interaction from the surrounding game systems when deciding what, if anything, you should do about it. If there's a weird edge case that allows you to see enemies in a certain pattern of hallways one turn earlier, but would require an entire rewrite of the line-of-sight code and systems, it might not be worth it to fix compared to stuff like the old amulet of the gourmand swapping where you can completely eliminate game systems like spell hunger by micromanaging equipment and food.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

cock hero flux posted:

And furthermore: one option making the game easy and one only being viable in the hands of a veteran IS GOOD. It's fantastic. Then you have the class that any player can pick up and do pretty well with to get a feel for the system and gain experience, and the tricky class that they can move onto when they've got a feel for it and want more of a challenge. Difficulty options exist in a lot of games for a reason, but having easy playstyles and hard playstyles is much better than having Difficulty options because doing something new and different and more challenging is more interesting than doing the same thing again but harder.

Hard agree here. One of the things I think crawl does very well is that its harder races (mummies, vampires, octopodes, yadda yadda) have strengths that are either subtle or hard to take advantage of without the expertise of a veteran. Octopodes may seem sucky to a newer player, but once veterans (who tend to play cautiously enough that the early game is less lethal in general) consider combinations like rings of sustenance and power and wizardry all at once there's a payoff that makes their very dangerous early game a worthy tradeoff, without eliminating the weakness of physical fragility entirely. The same content as approached by a mummy or a felid or an octopode can feel very different by nature of how those races tend to approach things, moreso than the straightforward races that are little more than bundles of aptitudes.

There's a spectrum of choices in both race and god in Crawl that let you go from straightforward to flexible to very specialized and unorthodox and they all seem pretty significant, unlike your more maximalist *bands where a lot of character choices feel pretty redundant.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I think game design is an interesting subject and it’s worth it to discuss what makes games, or certain changes to games good as opposed to bad.

I like this too, game design is one of the most interesting parts of roguelikes as a genre and it's a pity that it only ever seems to pop up during the intermittent Crawl fights. Games like Brogue and Sil are polished gems of game design that owe a great deal to the decades-long open-source churn of classic roguelikes, and watching the divergent evolution of sibling games that have been in continual development for years is an interesting ride.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

BurningBeard posted:

Hey great timing. I was thinking about picking up 3. Have you played it and do you think it’s worth it? Looking at Ultimate, it seems like it’s probably better to just wait. But I need my monster grabbing fix and 3 is pretty cheap. It kinda looks like the first three are interchangeable on a superficial level, but I have to assume that the iterations are actually improvements and not endless wheel spinning from an insane person. I don’t mean this negatively I love a good single-dev passion project.

3 is great. Each iteration is definitely an improvement over the previous as far as game systems, quality of life, variety of content, &c are concerned. Ultimate is shaping up to be pretty great in this regard; the devs have taken out mana as a system entirely and replaced it with spell gems having a certain number of charges per floor, which is (IMO) a big improvement in terms of interesting decision-making. They've also revamped random properties on spells/artifacts so you no longer have to deal with how high a stat rolls, or sifting through a bunch of random artifacts; you can customize them with the exact properties you want every time (assuming you have the materials).

If you'd like to get more of an idea about the series and the sorts of strategies you can get up to, there's a nice LP of Siralim 2 here, but I do still recommend getting the latest entries--Thylacine is actually really good at making substantive improvements to their own formula.

Alternatively, Ultimate drops on Steam in like 3 hours. It will be Early Access if you are allergic to that, but by my own standards it's been in a more polished state than that would normally imply for some time.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Jack Trades posted:

No matter if you prefer the 'wood or the coq, everyone ends up satisfied.

Roguelikes - The 'Wood and the COQ

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I ended up learning the vim keys because of how many roguelikes (and other games that need 8 directional grid movement like DROD) I played on a laptop. I managed to pick up the editor pretty easily years later because of it.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Started playing Rift Wizard after seeing it leave early access and remember this thread talking it up a while back, and WOW there's a lot of stuff to process! I've been enjoying trying out some fire builds as I flail about noobishly, with Fireball and Flame Gate. Any advice for a new player overwhelmed with all the choices?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
One thing I'm really appreciating from an understated design standpoint (maybe this changes later idk) is how each rift only has a handful of enemy types, each of which has like up to two special things it does, and a series of resistances that are very coarse-grained and static. The net result is that not only is it a good idea, strategically, to consider all three of your potential rifts against your current resources, it's very feasible to do so, and the game doesn't muck about with obfuscating enemy health or defenses or special attacks--you get all the information you need to make an informed decision. It's a very enjoyable change of pace from the classic roguelikes which, while I love them, do frequently suffer from issues like "how was I supposed to know enemy X reflects damage type Y" or "guess I'll make a note that next time I'm 40 hours into a save I should have Nexus resistance by floor 50".

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I messed around a bunch in the wolf challenge, managed to get like 6 rifts in. Am I correct in my assumption that you want to get ice hounds and venom spit online quickly so that you're not stymied by elemental resistances? Clay hounds seem very strong in terms of general combat and staying alive, but unless I'm missing something that locks you into only ever dealing physical or poison and it seems most of the enemies immune to physical are also immune to poison.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Speaking of deterministic (mostly) combat and feeling like a puzzle game, I've been replaying Desktop Dungeons recently and that game has aged really well. Still looks good, still sounds good (Danny Baranowsky and Grant Kirkhope!), mechanics are crunchy without being obtuse, and the levels are just the right length to be a satisfying decision space without being overwhelming. Could just be the nostalgia talking but I think it's a classic.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Maybe one of the Shiren or Mystery Dungeon games that proceed through a few easier fixed length dungeons in sequence? Like the Wii or Vita Shirens (idr the names) or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Like, eventually they get to the Big Hard Dungeons but you get a lot of introductory challenges first.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I like minion builds in Rift Wizard, they're fun. I got a shrine that caused my clay hounds to turn into 4 bone shards on death, and then an upgrade that gave my undead minions a ranged life drain attack. :getin:

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

power word- Jeb! posted:

i love this game, had a decently long streak on the dailies a while back

one of these days i am going to lp it

Please do, I suck poo poo at it and would appreciate watching a seasoned player at work! :)

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Easy, just pilot the SLASH'EM character into a CAPTCHA trap and park it there until you finish your ZAngband run.

e: this would be a cool idea for a 7DRL if that's still a thing people do! The rogue one, not the crazy ZAngband one.

GetDunked fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 6, 2021

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Impermanent posted:

rift wizard seems to actually demand you play with a mouse and keyboard, left hand hitting the numbers item effects, right hand aiming and mousing over things. It's the first roguelike I've played that is so overwhelmingly geared towards the mouse that isn't trying to be an accessible, entry-level player's first roguelike.

You could theoretically get away with some kind of targeting thing crawl style, and there's (usually) not that big an enemy variety to worry about, but it's really really helpful.

I personally use 0-9 for spells, manually click items, and use vi keys to move around in combat (yeah I'm old so what :corsair:). After I clear the level though I click tiles to auto-path around and pick up items and check out the rifts.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

beer gas canister posted:

I've finally picked up Shiren 5 on Switch. It's such a tasty game - the graphics and animations feel chunky and substantial. My favorite little addition so far are throwable rocks, which travel 3-4 spaces in an arc, intended for tossing over walls within a dungeon. Warms my heart to see the love that a big established studio has put into a real grinder of a roguelike

Hmm, I might have to pick it up. Played the heck out of the DS one but was turned off by a bunch of the changes they made in the Wii one.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

FishMcCool posted:

The Fourth Stimpire.

I like to think that they take all the skeletons they remove from people for breathing too loudly or whatever and let them run free on a preserve. :unsmith:

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Crypt of the Necrodancer does something similar. You work your way thru a "full" run, one world at a time, with metaprogression/item stuff, but eventually you unlock the ability to do full runs from scratch. At that point it's the intended way of playing if you're trying to get the rest of the unlocks (characters etc).

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Splicer posted:

See the 2112 at the bottom? The ones to either side are safe.

The Rule of Rush

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Thanks for the rec on this! Just finished the tutorial and I'm hooked already. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of it.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Just made my way through the Act 2 Mirror boss in TBC and had something funny happen.

I had been relying a lot on the combination of Lawbringer front row and Marine immediately behind--Marine's Covering Fire passive ability lets him get off a full M16 attack whenever the character in front of him does anything that targets an enemy, which even counts Lawbringer's automatic counterattacks with Justice and bonus action Observe, and doesn't break Ambush either. The only downside is you need to reload on the Marine's turn to have ammo for these bonus attacks, but the turn delay is really low so you can just reload and then chuck grenades or something.

Mirror, as it happens, creates a full mirror of your team except with itself replacing Claire, and swapped to middle of back row if she isn't already there. The mirror Lawbringer happened to get a turn first and Protected the mirror Marine, then shot my Lawbringer, causing the mirror Marine to also shoot... causing my Lawbringer to shoot the mirror Marine, because apparently it only hits the most recent thing to attack. Which naturally caused an infinite loop of Lawbringers shooting at each other's Marines, as one does... except mine was splitting damage between the enemy Marine and the enemy Lawbringer because of the Protect, and theirs was shooting only my Marine, who had long since run out of health but wasn't actually downed while the attack was still going. I just plinked away a little damage while they continued shooting a corpse, over and over and over... It took like 5 minutes for the animations to finish, but in the end my Lawbringer had taken out both of them after just one attack. Justice was served :clint:

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

deep dish peat moss posted:

Something I've been thinking about lately (admittedly in the context of a JRPG roguelite-ish game) is having the players start with inexhaustibly large health pools, then having near-zero sources of healing, making the real challenge of combat long-term attrition. Like imagine a JRPG type game where you play as a party of a few Kaiju smashing through cities, and the enemies you fight are little platoons of soldiers and tanks - and individually they're not dangerous, you have 9999 hp and they hit you for like 10-20 damage. But over the course of the game you fight hundreds of them and if you play brashly and let them get those tiny plinks of damage off on you, you'll eventually fall. Your characters would slowly evolve into glass cannons throughout the game as they gained power but lost irreplenishable health. A skilled player would know how to take measures to reduce their health lost throughout the game, but a new player making mistakes never immediately has their run ended by a couple mistakes.

It's not a perfect system and I can think of plenty of problems with it but I think it would at least be a fresh spin on RPG damage balancing. Are there any games that do something like that already? (You start with a ton of health and take little damage, but you can't heal off what damage you take)

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but Tactical Nexus and other puzzle games in the vein of Tower of the Sorcerer play a bit in that space, where the amount of damage you take from fighting a monster (you both attack each other, attack vs defense, until one of you dies) is deterministic based on the stats, and the gameplay comes from making use of your limited health pool and picking your battles carefully to get at resources like health potions and stat boosts without having to use up too much in the process. Health doesn't regenerate on its own, nor does it have a fixed cap; it's essentially a currency you spend to bypass enemies.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Tactical Nexus has the graphics, sound design, and resolution support of a freeware game from 2006, but if you can get past that there's a really compelling game.

There is also a thread for it but it's inactive at the moment.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
That's my fault, someone asked about games that play with the concept of HP as a currency and I brought it up. I could have been clearer in establishing that it's not remotely a roguelike. Did not mean to derail.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

dyzzy posted:

My four year old saw me playing Tactical Nexus and asked 'which parts of the Berlin interpretation does this game incorporate?!' I shook my head and said 'I don't know, kid. I don't know'

It's, uhh, grids? And turns. There's lots of numbers too. That's got to be good enough right :v:

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Harminoff posted:

Is the Dungeonmans dev still around here? If so, can you look into adding deck compatibility? Think it would be great to have on their, but sadly doesn't run.

That'd be the one and only madjackmcmad, who appears to have been inactive on the forums for the past year or so. You might also want to try the game's Steam forums.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
If it gets more people to play and buy it that's a win in my book

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Orc Priest posted:

Why did they change/remove so many things from dungeon crawl stone soup? wtf

username post combo

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Real answer though is that the dcss dev team has just been veering towards a hardline minimalism where any mechanic or feature they deem abusable, redundant, or uninteresting goes the way of the dodo eventually. Sometimes they replace it with something new and exciting, sometimes they don't, and there's been a lot of arguing about it. Eventually goons made their own fork, Gooncrawl, that re-added some of the more beloved cut stuff while putting in new content (more info in the crawl thread here) but it doesn't look like it's being maintained anymore; it possibly got too hard to keep up with an increasingly divergent upstream.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I feel like sometimes games with item pool based metaprogression like Binding of Isaac can be this, although it's been mitigated a little bit since they introduced item quality as a mechanic. The more you unlock, the more crappy items there are in the pool, and the less odds you get your really good items such as 20/20, magic mushroom, ipecac, and so on.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Chakan posted:

No, Gooncrawl was being maintained by one person and they decided it was in a good spot and they were busy, so it was shelved. I’m trying to learn how to do all that work to merge some changes and make some updates because it’s been a few years, but this has been an extraordinarily busy year.

Which is to say, Gooncrawl is great and can be played on webtiles, everyone should go splat some disciples of Beogh today!

Oh, good news then. Goonspeed :cheers:

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I'd do unsavory things for a modern Pirates! game

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I'm the "rougelike" spelling every single time in the article body

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
It's not the size of the bia it's how you use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Jack Trades posted:

You introduce artificial input delay so that when you press a directional, the game waits a couple of moments for a potential second directional before deciding which way you will be moving.

I think Tome already has that feature IIRC.

Or alternatively like it's done in the Mystery Dungeon games and maybe Tangledeep (idr it's been a while) where you hold down a modifier key to temporarily disable orthogonal inputs so you can enter the diagonals at your own leisure

habituallyred posted:

Absolutely is. :justpost:

also yeah this.