Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

SageAcrin posted:

Okay, that knowledge does help enough that I will probably continue trying.

When I feel more like ramming my head into a wall, I mean.

Gah, the game is so good outside of the cheapshots...

Well, and the questionable weapon balance. Why does the Revolver, SMG, Assault Rifle, Machine Gun and Pop Gun exist? Did you really need five weapons that all do the same damage and just have varying bursts/RoF/spread, and all appear early on in a weapon pool of about ten total options? And then the Pop Gun reflects off walls, rendering the entire set of other guns questionable?

And has anyone really used the Screwdriver for more time than it took to get another weapon that was anything else besides a copy of your other weapon?

But still, there's worse balance than that in games. Sadly.

The pop gun actually deals less damage than the others and doesn't work with recycle gland, so it's far from the king of early bullet weapons. The pop rifle has an ammo efficiency close to the other bullet weapons because it uses 2 bullets for a burst of 3. I remember shotgun fingers being hilarious with the pop guns the one time I mixed them, though.

Screwdriver is one of two purposefully bad weapons in the game (the other being the disc gun), but it's the key to a secret lock :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's what Zynga did/does. It's profitable, assuming you don't value your soul.

I feel like you could get really weird with it and have some fun. Probably make more money that way too.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

General Emergency posted:

DFS was actually a Kickstarter game so it's not all that dark. I got it on PS+ too and it's... It's not all that great. The controls on the Vita version were terrible so I never got that into it.

Isn't that even worse? That 6000 should include whatever portion of the 4000 backers backed it for a pc copy!

I haven't played DFS but its existence is... bewildering. It seems weird in every unappealing way possible and rote in every area indies usually excel. The graphics are excellent quality but they somehow perfectly nailed a style where it looks like a cheap Supercell ripoff in spite of all the work they put in to it.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 11, 2016

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Three-Phase posted:

One other thing about Enter the Gungeon - it's gotten pretty positive reviews, but I've looked over the reviews and found the following complaints:

• Enemies are too spongy
  • Awful item drop rates
  • Slow pacing

I'm not sure if those are legit complaints, or more of a "rogue likes are hard a bloo bloo bloo :qq:" response.

Yes, I realize I'm agonizing over a $15 purchase when I went and bought gems like DayZ Standalone for much more money. :cripes:

I dunno, all those things sound like they'd be annoying even if you weren't losing :shrug: Especially the first two combined.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Big Sean posted:

Yeah hard to blame a game that is enjoyable that long. I hit 80 hrs and at some point you reach a stage where you are just going for higher and higher scores which comes down to rolling the right treasures, etc., and starts to get pretty unfun.

But good until that point...

If you're ever on a lark for some gamer shenanigans, look at the negative steam reviews for MGSV. Something like half of them are people complaining it's repetitive, with a play time of over 100 hours.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

victrix posted:

Anyone been playing Cryptark much lately? Been thinking about picking it up on and off for awhile now.

I haven't had issues with frame rate but I can definitely echo TooMuchAbstraction's thing about being convinced by the game to take on suicide missions.

Cryptark is honestly one of my favorite games I've played this year, possibly the best roguelite I've played (up there with Spelunky and Nuclear Throne). It does an incredible job of actually making it feel like you're a scavenger selectively picking apart the space hulks you're in, and pretty much every aspect of the gameplay (in the non-endless mode) reinforces that feeling. You look over a map, combing for research points and important modules, pick a point of entry or two or three, and go in and hope you don't get absolutely destroyed by some unforeseen thing while you do surgery on a giant space ship. And then you get destroyed when you get too close to a module filled with tiny baby skeleton monsters that rip you apart because you've got a nuke launcher with no ammo and a sniper rifle.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Awesome! posted:

check out tomb of tyrants http://store.steampowered.com/app/340360/

not exactly match 3 but it fits the theme

Ha, I bought this a long time ago because the screenshots were so confusing, I just had to know what it was like. It's pretty fun, takes hours to get a hold of all the mechanics, but after that it's pretty easy to break it and get bored of having an unconquerable tomb.

e: Looks like there's a couple changes in the change log to late game difficulty, so maybe it's better now, but it all seems pretty minor.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 26, 2016

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Meridian posted:

What are the thread's thoughts on the Grimrock games? I don't know if those really qualify as roguelikes, I haven't played them.

Really good updates of the Eye of Beholder formula. You can pretty safely buy the double pack if you even think you'll like them, but the first game is a steal at 3 bucks.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Samizdata posted:

Wait now, this is the Roguelike thread, not the Star Citizen thread, buddy...

Trying specifically to not make code that is so tangled and disorganized that Leviticus forbids it is a good way to never finish your game.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

ToxicFrog posted:

Now that I've played some more Cryptark, it's still great, but I think the single most annoying thing is that enemies are immune to friendly fire, including their own. Yeah, you can bounce a Bomber's shots back at it, or make a Juggernaut's seeking missiles explode in its face, but why bother when it won't do anything? This is especially annoying since the player is vulnerable to friendly fire!

I think the "nuclear self-destruct" system is affected by this, too -- either that or Juggernauts have enough health to survive being caught in a nuclear explosion, because my sweet "lure the juggernaut in close to the alarm system and catch it in the nuclear blast" plan completely failed to actually kill the thing.

I'm like 90% certain enemies die in nuclear explosions from either side, but juggernauts being shielded from it wouldn't surprise me.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

StrixNebulosa posted:

Going off of IVAN's damage system, Dwarf Fortress' adventure mode (what I've heard about it) might be up your alley.

Dwarf Fortress's adventure mode is really unlike any other roguelike, and not super enjoyable unless you really really like jamming objects in to enemies.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

tentacles posted:

Kornel just launched its pre-Kickstarter website

Man he'll probably have an easy time raising money due to how beloved DoomRL is, but those screenshots are so lifeless. I hope some of his KS money will be going towards hiring a professional artist or two.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Play as Salamander so you can save on ammo by roasting suckers using your jetpack :cool:

They also start with the only good melee ability.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Samizdata posted:

Another point: Don't assume everyone has played Bloodborne and even knows what what "choice" weapons are.

It's the switch axe from Monster Hunter.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh my god

Edit Real life is also a roguelikelikelikelike

Well it's got a simulationist approach to interaction between elements, and that's generally pretty roguelikey :shrug:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Songbearer posted:

I was tempted to reinstall Darkest Dungeon having only played six hours when the game was in the early stages of early access, but there's been a lot of negative talk about it which has kind of put me off. Is it really as bad as people say? A lot of the ire seems to come from how quickly the game takes away valuable members of your party. I kind of thought that was the point.

It's fine...? The DLC has some trap poo poo going on that could gently caress you over (e.g. giving you access to a boss on like week 5 that will guaranteed wipe your party unless you know a lot about the game beforehand) but it's a good game.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Serephina posted:

That is amazingly unappealing =[ Shame, because I really enjoyed the unfinished AliensRL and was being mollified that at least Kornel's new project was going to be similar.

The Kornel part of that post was a joke.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Holy poo poo they made Capsized? That game is garbage and Cryptark is so good :stare:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Isaac posted:

Am i crazy or was cortex command first available like 10+ years ago

14 years ago, actually. I think it became an actual purchasable product like 10 years ago though yeah.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I know the guy who makes Catacomb Kids so if you guys have any specific feedback you wanna give I can relay it, but also I think he reads the steam forums for his game on a semi-regular basis so that's not exactly a huge boon.
Also I've been telling him to add an easy mode for 2 and a half years.

Unrelated:
Some roguelite shooter I had never heard of came out today, called Juicy Realm:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/732370/Juicy_Realm/

I can't try it out at the moment, but the art style is great.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I went back to Synthetik and found one of the three weapons I was missing, the VAL silenced assault rifle. It is a loving amazing weapon and chews through enemies' heads in like 1-2 shots each, really makes "stealthy" play feel doable up until the 4th world.

Still died to the disco room.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Doseone did one of the player voice sets in Catacomb Kids and it's pretty easy to tell if you get it because, y'know, Doseone voice.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The Arena Masters are generally the easiest boss as long as you can obliterate the sniper (always spawns bottom right) before he can get a second shot out, the other two have severely limited range. That second shot from the sniper will usually knock your noggin off if he fires it though.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

:crossarms: But how?
The Mjolnir and Rail Gun (with the semi-auto fire mod because its default fire mode is ridiculously ammo inefficient) are also similarly good for destroying rooms after looping, though. Speaking of the Mjolnir, I have no loving clue what its alternate ammo type does ("Inverse Compound").

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

dreadmojo posted:

I've never managed to get out of the first dungeon, I just get swarmed and murdered when I try to leave with the crystal

Uhhh first floor, or first dungeon (pod)? The game is hard as gently caress so not getting through the regular pod is like, not a shame at all, but if you're dying while taking the crystal to the exit on floor 1 I dunno what you're doing wrong. You reroute the floor's power so that it leads straight to the exit (enemies only spawn in unlit rooms, including during the crystal carry rush), pick up the crystal with your fastest person, and click the exit room with them. You can generally just follow the crystal carrier with your other characters and have them kill the weaker enemies harrying the crystal, but that's not really mandatory on floor 1.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I haven't played Hades yet but Supergiant has never made a game that's good in its own right, literally every single one of them is carried by art/music/narrative and would have been better off as visual novels.

Well good news: they finally made a game that's good in its own right. I thought Bastion was 'alright' in the gameplay department though, and Hades's gameplay is just Bastion but better in every way.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I bought Chrono Ark after somebody mentioned it in this thread (I think?), and I've beaten the completed portion of the game with each party member. Good game so far and I'm hyped to play it more once it's out of early access. It can be pretty succintly described as "Etrian Odyssey's combat but your attacks are done with Slay the Spire's card mechanics", and it's a lot of fun trying to build a party that works together and doesn't screw itself over. Almost every lost run ends with "I could have drafted a different card or two that would have saved this run" so even missing 3(?) floors in its Early Access state it still has that strong 'one more run' compulsion for me.

The only disappointing thing about it so far is that a ton of items are locked behind meta-progression for no apparent reason, like there's just an endless supply of things to unlock and there's no end in sight because the game doesn't tell you how many there are and only shows you 3 in each category at a time. Maybe 3 or 4 of the 15ish items I've unlocked have been weird enough I could go "yeah I can see why you'd keep that out of the hands of new players".

It's also incredibly anime, these anime levels are off the chart and the available party members feel like someone stapling their favorite anime characters in to an otherwise decently cohesive world.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
A buddy of mine put out a pretty lengthy demo for his turn-based RPG roguelite, Bonfire: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1067580/Bonfire/
It's good! Took me 2 hours and 40 minutes to beat it according to the end of demo screen, and I was sad I had to stop playing it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Bonfire trip report:

Well gently caress me

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
If B Bros campaigns lasted like 1/20th as long as they do I'd consider it a roguelite personally, but when a campaign that never gets off the ground can take like 6 hours of playing to get in to a death spiral and a successful campaign can last 80+ hours, it doesn't really have that snappy je ne sais quoi of the genre. But yeah Battle Brothers rules regardless of roguelikeness.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
IMO the most important information about Synthetik is that its weird post-draw visual effects make it the only game to give me a migraine if I play it more than like an 45 minutes.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
My experience with Moonlighter was that it's an absolute slog with like zero interesting things about it

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Wamdoodle posted:

Is there an in game reason why Synthetik uses fantasy terms like curses despite it taking place in a high tech facility with only robots? The game is great but I thought it was funny that there wasn't a different term made up.

There's a bunch of references to 2 or 3 different ROBOT GODS, if I recall. Probably just to spice up the otherwise incredibly basic future warfare setting.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

does this share artists with Hyper Light Drifter or is it just aping that style really hard

the main artist on HLD is the lead dude at Heart Machine, so not him.

Ancient Abyss also looks completely different but I won't begrudge you for conflating two low-ish contrast games with no outlines and a similar visual mood. But HLD's approach was more like 'put fine greebling and patterns on everything' where this has a lot more in common with like contemporary illustrators inspired by impressionism.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm level 38 now, so only two more until I can unlock the bird. From what I can read on the wiki, I know I'm going to love it, a faster class with no recharging shield but armor that can be regained getting into the thick of things. It's basically of my favorite ways of playing FPS.
My progress so far is dying twice on the Desert-3 level, I still have to see the second boss.

The fourth character is coming, it seems a sniper based on electrical damage. Which sounds weird as the cat is already the guy about elemental damage.

Forewarning that Bird really requires his class talents to shine so you need to invest like 800 jade in the fucker before he feels anywhere near as powerful as Ao Bai. He's got a whole Ascension tree that's almost completely worthless until his 4th talent (the Cleave ones). Once you have that fourth talent though an Easy Kill goblet on the first couple floors can make him in to a monster that deals 30,000 damage to the whole room and fully heals your armor every time you hit Q by the end of the game.

The class balance between the three existing characters is good once they each have all their talents though. Ao Bai is probably the strongest (and also the only one I know the name of lmao) but also the most prone to getting hosed over by bad goblet choices being offered.

Where'd you read info on the fourth character? Snipers and the lightning guns are the things most in need of love right now so that's great :v:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Evil Kit posted:

Bird > Dog overall for me, no contest. Dog has to sit back and dip behind cover to recharge shields and really only shines when he has Dual Wielding up, where as Bird can just be entirely unrelenting in aggression all the time.

Also Cleave isn't a gimmick, it's honestly the strongest build but does require more start up. It really only needs Easy Kill and Max Cleave to really start picking up the pace to being a room clearing monster. Also 100% the only build where you can just stop firing your weapon entirely if you get it off the ground. Bird is the best character.

I wasn't calling Cleave a gimmick, it's just that the 4th talent is the equivalent to sixty stacks of Easy Kill and the lower your cleave damage it is the harder it is to get stacks of Easy Kill. It might only matter in co-op though where people will take your cleave kills out from under you :argh:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Turin Turambar posted:

Twitter:

https://twitter.com/GunfireReborn/status/1346080286321176576

Maybe we should do a thread for the game with the next big update.

There's already one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937414&pagenumber=3

also lol is that twitter thread really just them crowd-sourcing skill names for their English translation

Jack Trades posted:

Can I just mention again how much I hate metaprogression?
It's a lot.

Yeah I don't think you'll find anybody in this thread who's a fan of it. Maybe some fans of metaprogression for horizontal progression (like say weapon unlocks) but the entire talent tree adds absolutely nothing to the game in Gunfire Reborn.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Easy way to 'solve' metaprogression: Just put a button in the option labeled 'Unlock basics' that unlocks everything a player would have after several hours of playing. Once the player has those basics, turn it in to a 'unlock everything' button. If you don't want players to use the button for some reason, just make them hold the button down for 30 seconds so it's annoying to use it :v:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Seems cool but lmao at the store page description that's just a list of equipment slots and item types with zero context for why that would matter. Also winced when the character opened his inventory in the trailer and it was just a grid of like 300 different item icons, like is that just a debug inventory or is that what you're expected to be lugging around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Flimf posted:

There's a demo for Loop Hero up on steam now and it's pretty freaking incredible.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282730/Loop_Hero/

This game is extremely my poo poo, I played the demo for like 3 hours straight and wanted more when it was over :v: I'm not entirely sure it counts as a roguelike but I guess I can't think of a better label for it.