Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

Harminoff posted:

We'll they are trying to keep people entertained. The only person I know who doesn't do something like that is this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ91H4iLNqQ

I've been trying to bug him forever to give Shiren a whirl, so I'll take this as a step in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

All gone, thanks for playing!

TyreForHyre fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 31, 2014

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Dairy Power posted:

I'm trying to like Rogue's Tale, but it just seems poorly balanced and lacking in depth. There really seems to be a lot of unwinnable situations, especially since you can't retreat up stairs. There don't seem to be any other tools to handle those situations in the early game either. Traps on the first floor that do over the maximum possible starting health are just plain obnoxious-- you shouldn't need to spam search 3 times per step to avoid instadeath.

That said, there is something somewhat charming about the game, so I'm going to keep trying it for a while yet. IVAN felt this uneven when I first started playing it, and ended up being one of my favorites... not sure that this game will be able to win me over without giving me banana peel legs, though.

Press the G key to bring up your chat, type /search 2 and that will change it to double search for each time you press the key. I've had it set to that and I run into traps far less often.

Also yeah the RNG can will do ya dirty, but I'm not 100% sure what you mean about not being able to run back up stairs. Also from what I've found, keeping your level as low as possible as you first find gear is the way to go, as mobs will scale up to your level. Also keep in mind that lighting torches, disarming traps, and picking open doors/chests gives ya XP, and from what I found that's actually going to be the majority of your levels so watch out for all that.

I'm in quite the love/hate relationship wit the game myself, and I'm in the same boat as you. The thing that worries are folks and even the dev mentioning things like "oh once you get your first heritage it's much easier". I hope that means I just have a lot more to learn, and not that I have to pray and hope to get heritages as an edge to make it -anywhere- far along.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Steam Marines is hella fun. It's Spacehulk/Xcom mixed in with RL elements. It rewards good positioning and the dice roll aspect of it all can be mitigated mostly by using the correct dudes in the right places. It'll punish you, even if you are doing well by throwing what seems like insurmountable amounts of nasties against you, but it's all about learning their weaknesses, when to flank, when to bust down walls to gain better ground, and when it's a good idea to just go ham and beat down a robot. I highly recommend it.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Burning Rain posted:

So, 868-Hack got released on Steam. I played a ton of freeware version way back when, and I probably will buy this one to support the dev, even though the differences between the two are mostly balance changes and some new abilities and enemy types. It's a really good game though, a small scale tactical roguelike where your abilities can change the playstyle completely, and each opponent has a very clear pattern to exploit. So, something in the vein of Hoplite/Depths of Tolagal. The art style might not be for everyone, but it's a very well designed game.
I cannot praise this game enough, seriously. I'm so jazzed to see the PC port finally come out. It's super drat addicting and I love the various ambient and enemy specific noise as you scrap yourself out of countless bad situations, only to fall to your greed of that sweet sweet data and spawn a whole bunch of crap that wrecks you in three moves.

It's also nice that each run is so short, but there is a cool streak mode implemented where you try and compete for a highscore of most points across a run of won games, if you are into that kinda thing of course. It also has some new system where you unlock new powers as you complete successful runs, so it eases you into the game of trying to complete easier low point runs (because collecting points spawns more nasty crap) before you figure you have your big boy pants hitched up high enough to be a true Greedy Little Hacker.

I seriously suggest taking a look at it if you want something that is light in playtime, but has a fair amount of depth and decision making. I think it feels like Cave Noire with a Decker aesthetic and that is hella rad in my book.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

Catacomb Kids thoughts:

Portal spell is really useful as a weak poet (read mage) class, you can use it to lay traps dunking enemies into lava. Or with planning throw mushrooms in water and then portal the enemies into that for slow poison death.

I'm not really sure how useful it is that potions become gases under heat. To get that to happen you'd need the surroundings to be on fire anyway which would do much more damage. Maybe this will be more useful with more content.

For the potion gas it's perfect if you have a potion of poison, ice, or lightning if you want to use it offensively. You can throw it at the campfires which doesn't cause a massive inferno like it does when you knock over torches or launch a potion of flame. If nasty poo poo notices you throwing the potion you can either kite em through the gas if you have the freerunning trait, which allows you to dodge all attacks if you are sprinting, or if you have a shield you can keep em stuck by just blocking and not moving. Grumbles tend to freeze up when you block and won't make a move unless you do something first, so it becomes easy to keep em placed right where you want em. Gassing a potion and having a guinea pig very totally willing test subject can also help you identify what kind it is.

Last thing in regarding of potions, as you hold onto em you'll identify traits of the potion (this is also scaled by int, and if you put a point into int on a level up it'll identify a potion straight up randomly). It'll always be a [warm] or a [cool] potion to start which narrows down what you possibly could have. Each potion has three tags in total that it can have, but most of the time you can affirm what it is by tag two. (for instance regen is always a [warm], [light], [prismatic] potion) these tags carry over from game to game and it's been fun mapping out all the possible tags for everything so far.

The most fun I've had is keeping balls of slime or goo for emergency situations. Sure they can help pad out your food, but also they can be thrown at walls to be used as handholds, or you can chuck em at a humanoid's face to blind em to either make a quick escape, or to cause em to blunder into spikes, lava, whathave you. Such mayhem in a tiny little package and it's so plentiful to boot.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

John Lee posted:

So, there's a version of OWH that's essentially reskinned as a Mystery Dungeon game coming to PS4. Does anybody know if it has the OWH+ content?

It's not by Smoking Wolf sadly, he just agreed to let em use the idea of scrolling. It's hard to say what all it'll include, I doubt much of the things like castle rebuilding and whatnot are gonna be in there. But on the flipside I believe I read it'll have 20ish playable classes that you upgrade over playthroughs. Sadly seeing how the latest Shiren games haven't been released in the states, I'm kinda doubting this will make it over either.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

The Illuminascii New World Order draws near

I don't know why, but I'm super pumped for this first person conspiracy shootmanstexts.
It's a bit of a cliché story, man wakes up and begins to read between the lines, realizes the new world order is nigh and goes on a quest to save world because of course only he can see the -real- truth.
But it's got style... Also a kick button.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Been getting back into RLs and The Ground Gives Way is -really- slick and a flippin' blast.
For a game that only uses three letter keys+arrow keys+ 0-9 keys, it has a surprising amount of depth.

On another run, I was punching things with my fists and found a pair of woolen gloves and when equipped it brought my nonlethal damage down to 0, because hey, my punches are just too soft and comfy to hurt anything.

Also panic drinking rando potions in an attempt to save myself from a nasty frost toad, and getting a potion of milk which simply increases your food by 1.
Well +1 food is normally nice, but if you are full up on food, you can't drink or eat anything else and food is only brought down when you rest or manage to stupidly drink an oil potion. So I ended up a very full meatcicle for the toad to munch on.

The systems are really clean and easy to understand, it rewards learning how to avoid enemies because hey you don't magically get strong by beating up rats, and for the most part every hit you take just feels -fair-. I seriously suggest taking a look at this if you've never played it. Victory runs take at most an hour, the controls are piss easy to learn, and I swear there is always something new to encounter even 50+ runs deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1507109559/haque This looks like it'll kinda own.