Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Been playing ADoM again since there's tiles and all but because of them I feel even worse leaving that cute dog to die in that stupid cave.

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

Eschalon III is out
It's not an RL but it's full of things we love about them, surely some of you have played I and II, the last of the trilogy dropped today. http://www.gog.com/game/eschalon_book_iii I've been stoked for this one, but who ships a game on Valentine's Day?

I've played through Books I & II after a Finnish games magazine praised 'em, looking forward to finishing the trilogy. They're difficult to recommend to most people though, you do need to have a certain fondness for real old-school RPGs to enjoy the series. Still, considering how most people have never even heard of the name they're pretty underrated.

Also it's not that bad a time to release it since the sale is undoubtedly giving GOG extra traffic and it's on the front page.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

oriongates posted:

I'm playing through ADOM right now and doing decently with this playthrough, but I am currently living in utter terror of my familiar.

I snagged a scroll of familiar summoning and used it on DH2, getting a Greater Earth Elemental. It seems like every single time it kills something it levels up and on my trip back through DH it killed an Ancient Karmic Dragon in one hit (a drat good thing considering I'm an elementalist). According to the look command it's reached the point where it can attack 5 times, doing up to 300 damage.

I just friggin know that at some point I'm going to accidentally hit it with a spell or set off a trap that will annoy my super-pet and turn it hostile and then it will utterly and completely destroy me.

If it doesn't kill you it'll probably take credit for whichever ending you'll get and history will remember you as its familiar instead.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

MrBims posted:

No one should be made to feel penalized for wanting to play a character who looks like them.

It's true, it infuriates me to no end that every roguelike cripples my character's intelligence and spellcasting abilities when I pick a troll or an ogre.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Bogart posted:

I REALLY LIKE CRYPT OF THE NECRODANCER.

Sorry, can you reword that in a form of a gender equality question?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Pladdicus posted:

I'm sorry we're using the roguelike discussion to talk about an aspect of roguelikes you don't care about :(

Since you used a sad smilie, I'll forgive you this time.

But okay, personally I think stat differences between genders in roguelikes is a Dumb Thing That Shouldn't Be There but at the same time the vast majority of games don't have that, and from the people who play those games the vast majority of people don't care one way or another. I just cannot buy that your average woman honestly gives a drat if a female character gets +1 to one number instead of another in a super niche and probably old video game, nor that your average man feels somehow more manly or powerful because their male character gets str instead of dex or whatever.

Again, it's a stupid thing, yes, but I don't believe it's worth such a prolonged argument.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 1, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

ASCII isn't about being hardcore, it's about having an imagination. :colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

While I like and use autoexploration, automating a lot of stuff in roguelikes (and games in general) is pretty interesting. Theoretically speaking if you automated every single "meaningless" thing that you'd do manually anyway from exploring non-threatening content and defeating all enemies that can't realistically kill you to auto-equipping all upgrades and looting everything worthwhile and so forth, most games would end up as a series of threat rooms and boss fights. Yet at the same time if you looked at all these aspects individually, you could very well make an argument that each of them is just a pointless chore that wastes your time while you're trying to reach the "meaningful" content.

Of course roguelikes are games that are played from the start many times over so eventually seeing the same stuff repeatedly starts wearing thin, but I think interactivity is a somewhat undervalued aspect in games these days and the less meaningful stuff does also serve a certain purpose.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Necrodancer is a lot of fun and I've beaten Hardcore on Cadence and Bard but the rest of those characters are going to be a real pain even with only three zones. Aria reminds me a lot of The Lost from The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

And apparently there will be a character that combines three of those challenge characters, meaning instant death from one hit, instant death from one missed beat, instant death from picking up any gold with only the starting dagger as your weapon while the entire game runs at double speed. :psyduck:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Of course, the in-game system for weight could be a little funny before they removed it entirely.

Yeah, of course eight loaves of bread weighs as much as a suit of plate mail!

Yeah, now your tiny spriggan can carry 52 suits of plate mail instead. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Skwee posted:

There is a big update for ToME that just came out yesterday I think.
http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2015/03/news/tales-majeyal-130-aka-dust-dust-released

Patch posted:

Sun Ray description used to say it's a beam. It never was a beam. It's a ray from the sky, not from you. You're not the sun. Unless you take that prodigy, but even in that case, it's still from the sky.

This changes my entire paladin worldview!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Help how do I stop doing everything IRL to the beat after playing for a while?

You never stop, live your life to the beat.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Hydrocodone posted:

One Way Heroics is only $.87 on Steam for a little under 22 hours. I'm waiting for some Steam cards to sell so I can get it on credit, but I just noticed the One Way Heroics Plus DLC and it sounds like that's partly quality-of-life features. Is it good/important?

It's not really DLC even though it's sold as DLC on Steam, Plus is in practice its own separate version of the game with a ton of new features and improvements. If you like the basic premise and gameplay of OWH at all, there's no real reason not to get Plus considering how much it improves pretty much all the aspects of the game (and it was already a good game to begin with).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

$0.87? Where are you? It's $6.23 here, down from $7.79.

You must be looking at Plus, although even Plus is 4,79€ / $5.19 right now so I'm not sure where you're getting that from unless taxes are involved or somesuch.

Base OWH has always been super cheap, IIRC the dev didn't even intend to charge for it in the beginning until he was convinced that he probably should.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Turns out "trollish shopkeeper" isn't a description but rather a title given to him by the locals who know about the shenanigans he always pulls on travelers.

I bet Leggot knows exactly what he's doing and loves it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I would say Necrodancer's All Zones mode is actually much easier than "normal" mode for zones 3-4, since you enter them with way more loot from the first two zones.

Yeah, I'd almost recommend just ignoring the single zone thing altogether and going for All Zones from the start. You also have access to all the powerful items from the start instead of having to slowly unlock everything.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

Allow me to be lovely sarcastic game dev for a moment: aaaauuuuuugggggh /cry

Three dollars is what a Red Bull costs, the one you drink stumbling downstairs to the fridge in the morning and you forget that you had 40 minutes later.

I'm going to quit gamedev and learn to draw hentai titties and make $9k a month on Patreon.

I mean, even if a person had infinite money they still shouldn't spend three dollars on a mediocre game because there's still a time investment to it. Given those two choices, a Red Bull is a much sounder investment since at least you know you'll get what you're looking for and it won't waste your time in the process.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, so we now have One Way Heroics, One Way Heroics Plus which is an expansion pack released by the original dev, and now Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics which is a remake of a two-year-old game by a completely different developer? Does MC:OWH supersede OWH+, or is it worth playing both, or what?

I mean, this is largely academic because they're all windows only, but I'm curious.

OWH+ isn't really an expansion pack, it's the "real" game. The non-Plus OWH that's on Steam is pretty much just a very old version of the game mostly for trying it out and it at least used to be available for free outside of Steam, probably still is. I seem to recall that it's only sold in such confusing manner on Steam because they had to do it that way for some technical reasons that I'm not aware of. The recent release seems to be more detached from the original.

Weedle posted:

Why's that guy naked

The game's most iconic skill is the Hero class ability Zenura Weave, which makes them incredibly powerful in exchange of losing the ability to wear any kind of clothes for all eternity. In-game it means you get a massive stat boost (aside from a massive penalty to both Intelligence and Charisma because you're a weirdo naked idiot) but can't wear any kind of armor for the rest of the run.

OWH is a pretty great game.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 13, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

This still isn't funny. Please knock it off.

Not being funny is the specialty of these forums but it's no crime, oughta just leave the moderating to the moderators and move on instead of prolonging this nonsense further.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 10, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

I should have another go at OWH, or perhaps pick up OWH+ and try that. I played a few characters and thought it was neat, but since it's windows-only I'm rarely in a position to play it.

OWH+ is practically a necessity, the base OWH can pretty much be considered a free (or very cheap in case of Steam) beta version.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

On an unrelated note, it's been pretty interesting to see quite a few Japanese streamers get into Tangledeep. It's pretty rare to see western roguelikes in that scene, so I guess aesthetics make all the difference.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Blizzard's going a bit far with these Doomfist skins now.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

My favorite from that thread is this one

Pigbuster posted:

Someone linked me to Glass cannon + nuke, it's

uh

https://i.imgur.com/cJnh7vy.mp4

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

goferchan posted:

I'm too old for 4chan but I think it's just guys who are horny for anime and love fallout new vegas man

You're definitely thinking of Something Awful.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Yeah, you can take issue with individual character designs but don't throw around pedophilia accusations based on games. It's not only idiotic but also literally against the forum rules.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

In my quest to play every game in my Steam library I put a couple of hours into Ziggurat today, which is fun even though I'm not really a PC shooter guy. Have managed to get a little further in each run compared to the prior run other than one go-around with some really terrible luck, which I guess is the ideal roguelike experience. Anyone else here put much time into this game?

I played through it some years back yeah, I don't remember the specifics super clearly anymore but I had a good time with it.

If you like it I'd also recommend Immortal Redneck which I believe most people consider to be (even?) better than Ziggurat. I actually finished that one just a few days ago and added a page with some tips for it in the Before I Play wiki.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, Immortal Redneck has the most inverse ratio from horrible title to great game I've ever played. I should pick it back up, I got stymied on the second pyramid.

The second pyramid's likely the biggest difficulty jump. I put it on that page but yeah, I ultimately found Amunet (the ninja) and Neith (the sniper) the most useful favors since large open rooms tend to be the most dangerous and they start with great tools to deal with those while also being solid at shorter ranges. I got hit with the curse that removes all your weapons except your current one but gives it infinite ammo like 1/4 into the third pyramid as Amunet, and made it all the way to the final boss just throwing kunai at everything.

Neith is the one I actually beat the game with, the Burst Machine Gun shreds things at close range and the Sniper Rifle one-shots most things at distant ranges thanks to her passive. The Tranquilizer Gun also has pinpoint accuracy so it's easy to tranq a couple of dangerous targets at any range and either snipe or burst them while they're stunned, it's a real well-balanced loadout and you can definitely beat the game even without picking up any other weapons, though it's not the best against bosses.

I did find Farsight in that successful run which is the Perfect Dark reference/sniper rifle except it sees and kills enemies through walls, so that sure didn't hurt. Think you only unlock it in the third pyramid though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It has no real plot to speak of but Golden Krone Hotel is a small and mechanically condensed, well-made roguelike if one's shopping for something like that. I wrote some small tips for it in the BIP wiki when I was playing it too.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 15, 2020

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Despite earlier claims of it no longer getting updates, Golden Krone Hotel in fact got a major update today. Currently 70% off too, well worth playing for anyone looking for a smaller-scale "coffee break" roguelike.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 1, 2020

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Pladdicus posted:

'X is always y' are the worst posts in this thread.

Why do I always pick up lightning when I know it will kill me noita.

I wish I could start at level 4 with some random stuff. Or hell even with base gear. I wish more roguelikes had a 'play the latter half' option hah.

Doesn't the Daily Practice Run mode start you from a random location with random items?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Not sure how 92% of Steam reviews are positive.

Because they are correct, Immortal Redneck is in fact cool and good.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I've always liked ADOM well enough but I've never for the life of me been able to get into Nethack, not even before roguelikes started popping up everywhere.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It's been a while since I played it but at least with the City I eventually ended up with a Sharpshooter/magic Hunter that rolled over 90% of the fights without ever taking a hit. Once you get used to arrow and combo management, you can get some real nonsense going with that class.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Darkest Dungeon is the style of game where maintenance is way easier than trying to fix things afterwards. Negative things like bad traits rapidly spiral into more negative things, but if you can manage to keep things under control from the start and nip the biggest problems at the bud, you have a much easier time dealing with any further setbacks as well.

Also something a remarkable amount of people never realize: Outside of combat, you can change skills freely even while in a dungeon. You can swap to boss-killing abilities before a boss fight, or to specific camping skills you might need before camping, or whatever else. Makes life quite a bit easier.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I mean it's 100% cheating and buffing yourself most of the time, just like giving yourself infinite gold in a game instead of tediously grinding for it until you can buy everything would be, but obviously there's nothing wrong with that if that's how you want to roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

And? It's like you've never seen a bad thing be extremely popular.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1118200/People_Playground/
98% positive reviews based on a 60000 total, for example.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying Diftlands is necessarily bad. I personally didn't find it engaging but I didn't really find it to be terrible or anything.
My point is that reviews don't mean poo poo.

Reviews don't 100% guarantee anything about the quality of a game, and certainly not that a person will like or dislike it since that's massively subjective, but that's still very long ways off from "reviews mean literally nothing". A game with a ton of positive reviews is still far and away more likely to be good than a game with a ton of negative reviews is likely to be good which makes them a very good indicator of a game's probable quality, even if exceptions to the rule obviously exist.