Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Unormal posted:

Naw, Qud is completely from scratch. I was mucking around with tile sets for awhile, but we've been working on a commercial roguelike for mobile devices for the last year or so, so there hasn't been many updates to Qud. We have been slowly diddling with it, we've got a pre-release with half a new dungeon and a mutation cost rebalance if anyone's interested. E-mail me at unormal@gmail.com and I can share the dropbox link to it.

Likely we wouldn't do tile-set support in Qud, but rather a new Qud-world game with graphics specifically in mind.

The latest download can always be found here: http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/

Ever thought about letting the community work on a tile set? Or has there just been no interest from the community to create one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

CoQ does sound fun as gently caress but the ASCII is basically unreadable to me.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Desktop Dungeons looks pretty cool. I watched a couple videos but I'm having a hard time understanding how the combat works exactly and why this game is like a puzzler? I'm on my phone so I can't just download the alpha and try it out.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

When's that graphical update for qud coming out?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

So what are some tips for CoQ? I kind of figured out the ASCII even though its still pretty ugly to me and kind of unreadable at times and I can't use the nice fonts because I'm running it through bootcamp on a macbook pro. Whenever I try to its just a bunch of weird multicolored/sized rectangles. Anyways, I'm level 4 and I've just been running around the swamp kind of area outside of Joppa killing glowpads and occasionally getting chased by drillbots. I'm a true man with most points in strength/toughness/intelligence and I'm a child of the wheel I think.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Protocol 5 posted:

True men are a bit harder to get started since you don't get any of the cool tools that mutations give you right from the start. The main things you need to get rolling early on are to get some decent armor, a desert rifle, a light source that doesn't take up one of your hand slots, and a good melee weapon. You'll find ruins from time to time in those swamps where you should be able to find most of the above. You just have to be really careful and run away as necessary, since the stuff that hangs out in ruins can be really dangerous. If you're putting points in Intelligence, investing XP into Tinkering doesn't help a whole lot in the early game, but it'll let you create grenades for various purposes and healing items that tend to be pretty scarce later once you get Reverse Engineer or can afford discs. Since you're boosting Strength, going for heavy armor and a sword and shield is probably your best bet. True man is basically hard mode with the way the game is currently, so if you start burning out, trying a mutant to get a feel for where you can usually find gear is worth a shot.

Oh really? From the game description it said that True Men were the easy mode starters. I have absolutely no commitment either way, toss me a good mutant started build and I'll put that to work immediately.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Is there any way to mess with the amount of mutation points a mutant starts? I'd like to play around with some more interesting combinations without having to take crippling defects/use a debug mode.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

I'm still having a lot of trouble getting past level 4/5. I usually take carapace, flaming or freezing hands, and try to mix in one other big mutation(I've been messing around with some of the 5 point mental ones) and then thick fur/night vision if I have the extra. I don't really know what Calling I should be picking so I'm basically just going random for that one, and my stat investment has been 18 in almost everything except Strength which I usually put at 16.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

I've found some rifles and pistols but I've never lived long enough to find any ammo. Where do you recommend grinding up some early levels? Finding the artifacts for the instant level 2 is hit or miss for me so I need some way to level without worrying about getting mauled to death by two headed boars, salt hoppers and hosed up chameleons.

Also isn't burrowing 3 points?

Bob NewSCART fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 2, 2013

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Also one more quick retarded question that I should know the answer to, how do I fill up my skins with some water?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Ah I see. I just got a character almost to 10 but then a fire ant blew me the gently caress up.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Is there a reliable place to find the wire for the crazy dude after you give him the two artifacts?

Also what are some good skills to invest in if I do manage to get a character off the ground? I've just been pumping axe skills most of the time.

Bob NewSCART fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 3, 2013

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

So my carbide battle axe got rusted. What do I do about this? It's been a pretty badass weapon so far.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

LizardBeam posted:

Unless I am mistaken, a lot of vendors that can tinker can also repair items. You just hit 'r' with the cursor over the item in the trade menu, sort of like you'd have an NPC identify stuff. It's not too expensive, I think, although I haven't used it a ton. But, yeah, only way to do it while adventuring is Fix-It spray or Tinkering>Repair.

EDIT: Just checked, even the tinkerer in Joppa can repair stuff, so yeah, definitely can do it that way.

Sweet, thanks. This character has made it to level 11 now. Been blowing pretty much everything up with flaming hands and sunder mind while hiding inside my carapace, I just picked up a desert rifle I have approximately 70-80 lead slugs, along with two battleaxs. One of the issues I've been having is going starving due to ravenous if I use the world map, and I can't carry enough corpses around without not being able to move if I want to actually try and feed myself while I'm travelling. I guess I'll have to farm some glowpads.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

What's the best way to deal with rifle turrets? At 14 now and about to get to Grit Gate but I'm exploring the ruins on the outskirts and rifle turrets that are lurking behind trees are pretty scary and I don't want to run up and try to kill one with no knowledge of how.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Few more questions about CoQ.

Do multiple sources of light illuminate?

Golgotha is really loving hard also. I managed to barely escape but I was getting ruined. I'm in a pretty good position with regards to level/equipment/weapons etc. I just need a place to go and do some poo poo in at this point but I don't really know where to go, and I don't know where the warden in the ape village told me to go to find that other crazy goat village.

Also, where can I find some better melee weapons/foot/headgear? I'm getting tired of the carbide.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

By the time you finish grinding out to level 10 you have enough money laying around to buy just about anything you might want, including several midrange tinkering recipes even without hoovering up every bronze piece of crap you find. You don't just have one good item you scrimped and saved for, you have everything that looked remotely interesting. Walk out of grit gate with a carbine AND a combat shotgun AND sometimes an eigenrifle AND Polluxus AND ulnar stimulators/the leg equivalent, AND all your mental mutations are near max level despite sinking all your points in carapace and another physical mutation you picked up for the hell of it. It enables you to afford being all the ludicrous mixed build you want to be.

How? The grit gate merchant has poo poo items most of the times I've found him which has been a couple now.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

andrew smash posted:

For those interested in a melee mutant do you take carapace despite not being able to make the most of tightening it or go with quills?

What I like to do is take carapace, sunder mind(or regeneration), night vision, ravenous, and the coup de grace, flaming hands. This is as a melee by the way. What this allows me to do is pump melee skills/strength(I usually go water merchant as well for the huge early game advantage) while being able to one shot almost anything with ranged nukes if something does get threatening. Best of both worlds for me.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

So where is the goatman village that the warden in the ape village tells you to go find? I'm having trouble finding it on the world map.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Just blow up slumberings with your torch hands

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

What do I do about my right hand that I now have in my inventory? Is there any way to fix this other than the first aid skill?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

S.T.C.A. posted:

If you mean in Qud, you get to eat that hand, buddy! :haw:

For real though, the severed hand is done, the only options are regeneration via mutation, or regeneration via Ubernostrum. If you got neither, that sucks, no two-handed weapons of any kind for you, nor any gloves.

It seems I'm still able to duel wield one handed weapons even after getting dismembered. What's the deal with this?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

_jink posted:

26 maybe? Espers are really strong. I did Golgotha first because it's easier & comes first in the questline, but I'm not sure it actually unlocks anything.

I don't remember any forcefields beyond the entrance to Grit Gate? You visit Omonporch briefly for the main questline, but that's near the end of the game, after you've already cleared Bethesda Susa.

What do you recommend for someone like me to do at 20 who isn't able to take on Golgotha yet but doesn't really have anywhere else?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

andrew smash posted:

Sil is what angband should have been.

Sil comes recommended among goons? I just read about it and it seems kind of neat. Could anyone give some beginner tips(I know I saw people discussing it a few pages ago)

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Where can I get some good at XP at 21 in Qud? Most things aren't really giving me XP anymore and Bethesda is a little too difficult at the moment which is where I'm at in the quest line.

Just found a slender lacquered chaingun. Jesus christ.

Bob NewSCART fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 12, 2013

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

I think I'm going to try NPPangband. Could anyone give me some tips for a melee kinda dude? I haven't really played angband at all so I don't know what to expect other than playing a tiny bit of Sil.
Also does it have tiles?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

So I got to what seems to be the bottom of Bethesda, but theres a locked frozen security door with no possible way to open it? Is there anything I'm missing here?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Is there anyway other than the extremely lacking qud wiki to educate myself on the game without having to come constantly ask the thread questions? Google hasn't turned up much.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

How do people feel about project zomboid? Looks decent.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Unormal posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Do it. I would pay money for qud tiles. Also osx support.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

So do you have to buy TOME now that's it's on steam or is it still free or what? It's a pretty awesome game but I don't know if it's worth paying money for when so many great roguelikes are completely free. Although supporting the dev wouldn't be that awful considering how much work he puts in.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

I actually have donator status on my account for tome because I pitched some money directly to darkgod, is there any way I can take advantage of this and get it through steam without having to donate again?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Thanks guys. Also like someone asked earlier, are there any tiles for tome that aren't the defaults or OldRPG?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Does tome have a tab autofight hotkey yet? It's so annoying having an auto explore but then having to attack poo poo with your arrow keys/numpad. If you have one you may as well have the other.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

S.T.C.A. posted:

Good news! It's currently on sale for $6.50: http://www.desura.com/games/hero-siege

E: Every review of it seems like it's just BoI with more items and fewer quality of life improvements or something equally dismal; haven't played it myself. Looks neat though.

Could someone give some opinions on this? It does look pretty fun but 7 bucks for a roguelike when I have half a dozen I haven't beat that I got for free, I need to be convinced.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

I bought the indie royal bundle and there seems to be a couple decent roguelikes in here, but what's the deal with one way heroics? You guys have been talking about it a lot but what kind of roguelike is it similar to? Something like crawl or dredmor or what?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Caves of qud tiles. Please. I will never play anything else.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Unormal posted:

Yeah, it's really 2-color+transparent. So sort of 2.5 color; strictly speaking full alpha can be baked into either color, so it's not REALLY three color. I think I'll probably end up nixing faux-3d half-high sprite work for a more legible map. We'll still have the half wall images, but they'll just take up a full tile, with no overlap between them. Not quite as fancy looking, but far more readable.

e: That way we also don't have to have fighting contrasts between wall and creature/item colors, which could get really ugly. The floors and objects can contrast.

So what project are you planning on putting your tiles effort into? Because as I have been lead to understand your mobile game has it's own set of tiles and you're creating these ones out of the same framework?(I don't really understand the technicalities or terms of this stuff too much)

Oops answered like two posts above mine. Can you reveal anything about what will be differentiate this one from coq or is it just an evolution?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

WaterIsPoison posted:

What's up, Oryx-tile dev buddies?

This looks like brogue, but I have a feeling it isn't. Also that successor to CoQ looks great, would there be a way to make CoQ have graphics after the fact or would that have been something you would've had to have done while developing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

1/3 of it is visual C++ 6, 1/3 of it is in turbo pascal, 1/3 is javascript that runs in a browser, and the build system is cobbled together with excel VBA macros. Good luck on those prerequisites.

Hahahahhahahhaha who even knows whatever the gently caress else this guy was using. Wow.