Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
What's the consensus on Don't Starve? Does that count as a roguelike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Wow, Chasms aesthetic is really really neat. I hope it's a great game.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

victrix posted:

Rather than obfuscated game mechanics or true hidden 'gotchas', I think a broad and deep pool of gameplay possibilities is just a better way to design games period, roguelikes included. And I don't strictly mean 'more' - games that have interesting encounter permutations from a handful of well designed enemies/weapons/tools/levels often have very long legs indeed.

Have you played Hydra Slayer?

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Space Bat posted:

Aren't short levels broken? At least a few months ago they were, because the small levels didn't compensate for loot and there was just an XP multiplier so you could end up really underleveled and undergeared.

I think this might be a crafting thing or something? On a non-crafting character, I cleared Going Rogue/Permadeath/No Time to Grind/Realm of the Diggle Gods easily enough, even though you'd think any problems with less gains per level would be exacerbated in a 15 floor game. And even NttG is pretty drat long so I can't really recommend playing the game without it.

But yes, speeding up animations is a must.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Gosh, Nuclear Throne is fun. Especially Chicken.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

willus posted:

Crypt of the necrodancer crashes after the first load screen, and I'm already hooked by the music :( Anyone else run in to this?

Try deleting all of your custom music (clearing out the folder except for beatdown.exe), put in ONLY the 10 songs you want, run beatdown.exe without starting Necrodancer. That worked for me.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Hey Necrodancer folks, how do you deal with Goblins when you only have a dagger? I hate taking the multiplier penalty for standing in place but I don't really see any other way to fight Goblins.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Skeewiff is my go-to for Necrodancer. I could probably do all Skeewiff if I wanted but I like to mix it up. I have 1-1 as Nitty Gritty because it starts a bit slow which is nice to warm up and then I follow it up with I Got Soul.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

And the Invisible Inc. (fka Incognita) Early Access is dropping Tuesday. I was in the alpha and they stopped alpha patches just as it was getting pretty darn good to put new stuff in and launch the official Early Access. It's a stealth-based mostly-roguelike (X-COM like, let's say).

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Invisible Inc. is incredible. It's progressed so much from the alpha days and is worth your early access dollars right the heck now. Better than Necrodancer.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

The Steam thread didn't think it was worth cash yet, but the aesthetic looks rad as hell, not to mention the gameplay.

I'll probably buy it after hemming and hawing for a couple days, knowing me. :unsmith:

There are a few annoying glitches (mostly UI/information communication, a few gameplay ones), but they're quite minor and the full play experience is already there.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Here's a question for the roguelike developers in here.

I have a bit of a weird relationship with programming. I code a little bit for my job but not much, with my coding experience being just a few toy projects in a handful of weird languages (QBASIC as a kid, R in college, Cache for work). But I have a degree in Math and in general am comfortable "thinking programmatically".

I have an idea for a roguelike that's really starting to impress itself upon me. I want to code up a toy minigame with a couple of its simplest mechanics to see how they hold up. (Without going on a big rant about it, I want to replace the standard roguelike bump n' grind with one on one or one on few fights where you have to alternate between variable speed/effect attacks, defense, and dodging. When you see your opponent, you see ranges for all of their stats that get more precise as you learn about them and fight them - you need to act on this information to win.) In the current implementation, it'd mostly just be a menu simulator, but if it works out I'd like to be able to build it into a full game.

So - for someone coming in to programming with little formal experience but with the ability to learn fast, without any major preconceptions, what programming language should I look in to? The more newbie friendly the IDE, the better.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Unormal posted:

There's a bunch of possibilities. Really it just comes down to personal preference. Here's a rundown of a few:

C# - Caves of Qud is in this, but probably don't use a raw programming language these days. Due to/causing the huge indie game boom, there are now a flood of free/cheap engines with enormous power that give you most of the grunt work. The amount of grunt work is enormous and easily underestimated even by very experienced developers. Pick an existing engine and focus on making your game, not gruntwork.

In rough and very arguable friendliness order:
Game Maker (https://www.yoyogames.com/studio) - 'no programming' engine (i.e. graphical program CAD), simple to get started quickly.
Construct - (https://www.scirra.com/) - Another soild 'no programming' environment.
Pygame - (http://www.pygame.org/news.html) - Make games if you like python.
Monogame - (http://www.monogame.net/) - Make games if you like C# but are intimidated by Unity. (probably just pick Unity)
Cocos2D - (http://www.cocos2d-x.org/) - Has a few language possibilities.
Unity3D (http://unity3d.com/) - Sproggiwood is in this. Uses C#/mono and gives you an IDE. Hell of a learning curve, but you can ship real stuff with this.
Unreal Engine (https://www.unrealengine.com/) - C++ - Arguably an even bigger learning curve than Unity. Hell of an engine.

There's also the game development threads, which are full of good stuff:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692947
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853

Thanks a ton for all of this, it really helped. Pygame seems a decent first option because my friend is telling me that Python is the way to go, but I clicked that Unity 3d link and happened to read a very sensible article about integrating things from the Asset store if they're outside your wheelhouse; and something tells me it might work for me to deal with the high learning curve if I can pay a little bit to have things like player preferences handled for me. Will have to think about it.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

you didn't really miss much, the boss is basically a crapshoot and whether or not you'll be able to kill it is entirely dependent on whether or not you stocked up on enough nuke projectiles or some poo poo. either that or use a couple of specific skills that you might not have taken the trees for.

just never engage it in melee. (of course, i think they made the boss even harder so hooray for that i guess)

Magical Law really owns the boss. Actually Magical Law in general is just full of bonkers-good spells, but among the many things it does well is let you trivialize the boss. With Writ of Counterspelling and a Mirror Shield you reflect almost all attack spells (all spells if you have any more reflect like Ancestral Body Paint). Then with Rune of Objection, you throw the acid debuff or vortex debuff back at him. If memory serves the only spell he actually has that can hit you through this is the voltaic one, so just pack a ton of that resist and engage him with water or some open-air obstacle between him and you.

As far as Dredmor goes: I think it did a very excellent part in helping to spark off the Roguelike Renaissance. Is it still worth playing today? Kind of. I think it's got enough game in it for people to try to beat it once on NTTG with highly sped up animations. Having beaten the game on 15 floor going rogue permadeath, I don't think I'll pick up Dredmor again aside from showing it to friends or streaming it or some such. It's an excellent starter roguelike though, not just because of the friendly graphics and such but because it gives you the first skill from each tree right when you start! That's seven honking skills your character starts with. It's something I think more roguelikes would do well to emulate, it's wonderful to start with a character feeling like you've had a lot of personal choice invested in it already.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Sproggiwood is pretty cool. Sure it's on the easy side at least so far, but polish is something dismally rare to the roguelike genre so it's nice.

Any chance of multiple file support? (Or some way to have multiple files I'm missing?) This is definitely the roguelike I'd use to explain the genre to friends who have never played before, and it'd be nice to give them their own file. Between-game progression is sort of a thing to benefit newcomers at the expense of purity of experience for veterans, but it's a bit hard to reap the reward side of that equation with only one file.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Finally beat Nuclear Throne! It is a hard game but man it's fun. I think the definitive factor that let me beat it was Plutonium Hunger - I didn't realize it, but having the ammo and especially the health go to you automatically (I'm sure I took over 20 damage this run) really helps you get in the state of flow needed to keep yourself alive. My weapons for most of it were the Laser Minigun and Super Slugger.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Pladdicus posted:

Wish you best of luck with it! Out of my price range right now, so I'll let you know how it is around christmas sale ;)

What's your steam name?

hito
Feb 13, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

A lot of the time I see people new to the game hit a roadblock because they're afraid to take the powerful weapons which consume a lot of ammo. You basically need to use those later on, you can't roll with sluggers/crossbows/assault rifles forever or you just won't have enough killing power. Gotta grab miniguns and super sluggers and stuff like that.
Besides that it's just about getting better at dodging and reacting to things.

As a corollary to this, Plutonium Hunger is probably the single best mutation in the game because it lets you just focus on dodging (which you need to be) and will attract the ammo to you.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Well, Sil gets a lot of love here, if not Angband proper.

Angband was my first roguelike and I'll always love it for that but design wise it is just a bit of a mess. Fundamentally the food and light clocks just don't matter and it makes the whole game a weird, grindy experience.

EDIT: Although as far as Angband vs. Nethack is concerned it's not like Nethack isn't even more of a mess. But I don't see it mentioned here that often either.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Does Nuclear Throne have its own thread yet? Now that there's the daily challenges it's probably worth having one if not.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

The Eigenrifle is a pinpoint accurate (literally no spread beyond your shaky hands) line AOE laser rifle and it's brutally powerful.

That is one of the best weapon names I've ever seen in a game.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Obligatory plug to PF's Twitter where he points out goofy crawl code.

Highlights include "if (random2(3) == 0) ghost.ghs [0] += random2(50) + random2(50); /* hp - could be defined below (as could ev, AC etc). Oh well, too late */" and the beautifully elegant "if do_grammar == false".

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

One interesting solution to this could be to put in permanent loot, but have it be a one-at-a-time thing - you can only carry one Item (single-use treasure, consumed when it's activated) and one piece of Gear (provides a passive benefit or trade-off while held) at a time, and picking up a new one automatically discards the old one. Let players squabble among themselves over who gets the Reinforced Helmet, but don't waste time on inventory management. That's time better spent on infighting when someone grabs the thing for themselves! :haw:

Really the problem in those games is mostly the Diablo-esque point salad randarts that take forever to look at; having skills/gear that don't change would actually better.

I think using the Transistor system for a game like that could be neat, particularly if you don't allow re-speccing. You can use that new powerup as a skill or use it to buff a previously existing one - but when your skill has two buffs on it, you'll lose a lot more if you overwrite it.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Wednesday posted:

There was a study I read, though annoyingly I can't find it at the moment, where players were asked to rate the AI in a FPS game. One AI was rated much higher than the other - the difference between them was that the agent of the highly-rated AI had significantly more HP than the other one. There was no difference in the actual behavior, but the perceived difference in intelligence was quite large. This is a great example of the conflicting goals that often come up between game designers and game players. Game players think they want to play against 'intelligent' opponents, but in reality they often don't, check out Smart Kobolds for a case study in this, as others have pointed out. What they really want is the illusion of intelligent AI. I'd go on about the implications for game developers but I'm a bit too drunk to pull that off at the moment

Another great example of this, although it's not AI specifically, is Hydra Slayer.

It's a good example of how you ACTUALLY want heuristic-driven combat where you feel "intelligent" by going down the heuristic tree, not actual, pure, brainmelting tactical combat. Which is not to say that Hydra Slayer is bad - it's super interesting and fun in small doses. But it sure makes the point that you don't want a game that's smarter than you! (To the point when there's literally an item to tell you "how do I optimally kill each enemy in sight" as a powerup.)

hito
Feb 13, 2012

I'm planning on doing an Invisible Inc. LP sometime soon (I played a lot of EA so I'm pretty good at it!); having that thread would be a fun place to drop it.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Invisible Inc. LP question. On your first playthrough you have to use the starter character / programs. Would you rather watch an LP with starter loadout (more immediately relevant) or nonstarter (so your first game feels fresh)? I like starter loadout a lot so I don't mind playing it again.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

You could do a beginner run with the basic loadout to show how everything works together, then play of Expert or Expert Plus and show off how much the difficulty is increased. That way viewers will better understand what it is you're doing and trying to do once things start going tits-up. I tried a Experienced run with Shalom 11 and Banks, but I kept splitting the party and on the third mission I stepped into a few failure spirals that ate my rewinds. Good game, and I enjoy getting new agents and equipment even when I lose.

Shalem 11 is awesome.

I think I'll do an Expert run with the basic loadout and then E+ with a strange one.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Well I'll repost it if a formal thread gets made, but here's the first video of my Invisible Inc. LP.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

If I could sit around a table with 3 friends and play solium infernum I would never do anything else

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Just picked up Renowned Explorers and I'm really enjoying it, seems like the first FTL clone to actually understand the pros and cons of FTL and actively improve on it. Only a few hours in so far but already dig it a lot. It has some polish/communication issues but what day-one indie game doesn't.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Quiet Python posted:

Has anyone been playing "Renowned Explorers - International Society"? I've tried assembling a couple of teams, but find that I'm out of my depth once I unlock the 4-star expeditions.

I like that you get different results from beating your foes with Friendly, Devious, or Aggressive attacks, and having to counter their own assaults rock/paper/scissors style is interesting, but I keep getting sent to the same locations and I'm not sure what I have to do to unlock more stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.

I actually just started a Renowned Explorers LP. I think I did a good job talking out strategy (but obviously I'm biased). Although YT processing is going slow so probably wait a couple of hours before watching it because it's only in 360p at the moment and not glorious 1080/60.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Ok I've finally admitted it to myself:

Nethack kinda sucks.

Nethack, Angband, ADOM. The three venerable titans we all have to sadly admit are pretty bad games. But be nice to them anyway because they paved the way for so much.

It's crazy to think now niche roguelikes were even five years ago compared to now.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

I'll do a list as well.

10.) Ironcast

It's a roguelike where giant mechs fight each other by doing a bejweled style puzzle. It's insane. It has a lot of design flaws, but the core mechanic is just so solid that I play it anyway. This sounds like a damning by faint praise review, but trust me - I am REALLY unforgiving of small design flaws, so for me to play Ironcast means that it must be really fun.

9.) Vagante

Hesitant to include this one because it's still quite early access-y. But it's like a Spelunky RPG. Okay, there are a lot of games that are trying to be like this (Catacomb Kids anyone), but I think Vagante will be the best one. It's already really fun. Give it a go.

8.) FTL: Faster Than Light

I remember kickstarting FTL when kickstarter was a really new thing. I was so excited - a modern roguelike, and it's in a gosh dang space ship. It's easy to forget that this entire subgenre of top-down crew games was basically conjured up by FTL. Even if it's showing its age in the pretty dull overmap and overeliance on "a thing happened" RNG, the core scrap economy is extremely well done, and it's a great game to demonstrate how to have advanced tactics available without making the basic game hard to play.

7.) TOME 4

Darkgod is an machine. (He is also a very cool person in real life. I split a pizza with him at IRDC 2012.) TOME 4 is just so much game. It has some pacing issues with the random enemies, but the multiple lives mechanic does a lot to dull the edge of it. This is a great game to get people who love the Diablo, Torchlight esque loot treadmill games on to some proper fare.

6.) Spelunky

Like FTL, one of the New Old Ones that define the current roguelike canon. Listen, I don't need to tell you about Spelunky, do I? I played it a ton back when it was a dinky little free game for PC only that you had to play with a keyboard, and it was amazing even then. It was the very first to take the roguelike idea of "you will die a lot, but it will (almost) always be fair" and map it to the physical experience of platforming. It's really hard to imagine the idea that an arrow trap would trick you more than once, then you play Spelunky and learn something profound about the human mind. The HD remaster made it even better. Okay, maybe the strategic component is pretty weak. Who cares, play Spelunky.

5.) Hydra Slayer

Most games, consumables are a panic button - you try to set up a rhythm without using them, and they come in to re-normalize you when something out of the norm happens. Use of consumables IS the game of Hydra Slayer. The core strategic decision - which sort of weapons should I carry? - will physically give you a headache trying to figure it out. In terms of tactical combat, it's probably the richest fare in all of gaming. You can really only play Hydra Slayer in short bursts, but it's very instructive to anyone interested in game design. People will say they want very smart combat, but when you play Hydra Slayer, you realize: you only want combat as smart as you, and you are not that smart. There is a power-up in this game that does nothing but tell you the best combination to use your weapons to kill everything on-screen. I write that poo poo down without shame. That's Hydra Slayer in a nutshell.

4.) Renowned Explorers: International Society

First game that borrowed from FTL and managed to substantially improve it. The strategy layer is very crunchy, and the tactical layer has a really interesting rhythm to it. I think the economy and research aspects are still a little bit out of balance, but it's a new game by indie devs and those are easy things to change. The squadmates feel substantially different, and it walks a fine line of being a story generator while still having game to it. It has an expansion coming out and I can't wait. I hope every game learns from Renowned Explorer's overmap.

3.) Invisible Inc.

Invisible Inc. handles tactical risk-reward probably better than every other roguelike. It's very often NOT possible to get every safe on the level. So how many can you get? Do you buy some ammo to help out RIGHT NOW, or can you save your money and try to hit a nano-fab next? The core of the game is remarkably continuous. Credits have the same tight design as FTL's scrap, but the push your luck nature of GETTING creds is what makes this game such a winner.

2.) Nuclear Throne

Proof that a few big decisions (characters, weapons, mutations, crowns) will do a lot more to make a game feel deep than a lot of little ones. Each character is outrageously different. No two weapons feel like stat-changed versions of other weapons. But the real star of the show is how much each mutation changes up your game. This is just a game that feels good to play, as well as being respectfully short (loop shenanigans aside). Nuclear Throne very clearly loves you, even if it doesn't know how to express its love properly and sends those lozenge looking energy dogs at you instead. You should love it back.

1.) Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup

The one true king. Everyone else has already said so much about why this is the best game of all time. I will just add that it is one of the few games with an official, public development philosophy. The fact that this philosophy is so correct about what a good roguelike is, and is executed so well, is what makes Crawl so great. And it gets better every release.

Honorable mentions:

Towerclimb might be on my list if I could get my controller to work with it. But Towerclimb with a keyboard sucks balls.

Brogue and Sil have incredibly tight designs and in theory are exactly what I'm after. I feel active shame that I don't have fun when I play them. I hope one day they will draw me in, but right now, they just don't, so I can't put them on the list.

Like many people, I played a lot of Dungeons of Dredmor (141 hours logged!) but don't think I'd play it anymore. It still has one of the best level 1 experiences of any roguelike, though, and it helped normalize that roguelikes are a thing you can do for a living instead of on the side.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a very good game that is almost as much of a roguelike as Invisible Inc. The script is just a little too fixed for me to want it on the list. I suspect that XCOM 2 will make this list, though, and in a very high position.

angband was my first major roguelike, but infinite grind just ruins the design beyond redemption for me. Sorry, angband. I'll never forget what you did for me~

I'm pretty liberal with my definition of roguelike, but some very fun games I won't call roguelikes are: Risk of Rain, Rogue Legacy, Super House of Dead Ninjas.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Prism posted:

Can you explain Hydra Slayer? What makes it so complex? I'm not asking for a walkthrough or anything, just 'what kind of things are you juggling here', as I haven't heard of that one at all.

I've heard good things about Vagante but haven't played it. Maybe I'll see if it goes on salt on the Steam sale.

in a nutshell:

Hydrae have a certain number of heads. You will have a weapon that cuts off a certain number of heads.

If you cut off exactly as many heads as it has, it dies.

If you cut off fewer, then it regains heads depending on the type of weapon you cut it with and the type of hydra it is.

But what makes it really interesting is that you CAN'T use a weapon that cuts off more heads than the hydra has.

So it's a very interesting puzzle. Sometimes you literally can't kill a hydra without using a consumable. Sometimes you can, but only by using a weapon that doesn't cut off as many heads as it regrows, so the hydra gains more heads and you can use a different weapon. And the stakes get higher as the game goes on and you get weapons that e.g, divide the heads by three. Which is fantastically powerful, but only if it's a multiple of three to begin with. Now what happens if you transmute it to be a different element, so it will be divided by three then add a number of heads such that it's a multiple of three again...?

Sage Grimm posted:

:what: Not too sure how a controller helps in this game where movement is basically digital. Maybe the item shortcuts? Or item jumping?

Yeah, it's not really a stick thing. It's item jumping and item management in general. Also it cramps your hands pretty quick. It just feels like maneuvering on a keyboard is a lot harder than with a controller.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Unormal posted:

You're a good and powerful human Jordan.

Yeah, the list is cool. You're doing it in a very interesting way even though it's probably more time consuming for you. Thanks a lot!

(Want Renowned Explorers? :3)

hito
Feb 13, 2012

You know, playing Renowned Explorers has me thinking that there's really room in the world for a squad-based automata roguelike where your loot is increasingly detailed programming.

It's something I'm tempted to try to whip up a prototype of. But I don't really know much about automata games. Anyone know of good games where you need to program units? I'm thinking something like Legend of Mana's golems, only uhh, not quite as terrible.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Highblood posted:

So how many roguelike devs aren't on SA :psyduck:

Are we the coolest RL hangout or what

Speaking of RL development, where would a retard with no previous experience in game dev start? It's always been a small interest of mine to gently caress around making a roguelike but the task seems rather daunting to me. I know the C language (not how to use it mind you) and that's pretty much it. Do people even still use C or am I lost in the 80s?

I asked a similar question some time ago and Unormal gave me a very helpful answer:

Unormal posted:

There's a bunch of possibilities. Really it just comes down to personal preference. Here's a rundown of a few:

C# - Caves of Qud is in this, but probably don't use a raw programming language these days. Due to/causing the huge indie game boom, there are now a flood of free/cheap engines with enormous power that give you most of the grunt work. The amount of grunt work is enormous and easily underestimated even by very experienced developers. Pick an existing engine and focus on making your game, not gruntwork.

In rough and very arguable friendliness order:
Game Maker (https://www.yoyogames.com/studio) - 'no programming' engine (i.e. graphical program CAD), simple to get started quickly.
Construct - (https://www.scirra.com/) - Another soild 'no programming' environment.
Pygame - (http://www.pygame.org/news.html) - Make games if you like python.
Monogame - (http://www.monogame.net/) - Make games if you like C# but are intimidated by Unity. (probably just pick Unity)
Cocos2D - (http://www.cocos2d-x.org/) - Has a few language possibilities.
Unity3D (http://unity3d.com/) - Sproggiwood is in this. Uses C#/mono and gives you an IDE. Hell of a learning curve, but you can ship real stuff with this.
Unreal Engine (https://www.unrealengine.com/) - C++ - Arguably an even bigger learning curve than Unity. Hell of an engine.

There's also the game development threads, which are full of good stuff:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692947
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853

Actually I was looking for this anyway. My design notes for an FTL-esque squad based game with programming combat are getting interesting enough that I want to try to prototype it.

hito fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 5, 2016

hito
Feb 13, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It always bugs me when players talk about worrying about missing something in a game with an infinite amount of content. Like, why would you bother to kill everything in a zone in Diablo II when you can regenerate zones infinitely? I haven't yet played Dungeonmans (my backlog is a little worrying, honestly), but I'm guessing it has more than enough stuff to let you meet the power curve in any given game.

How do you design a game so that players can't get obsessive about exploring every nook and cranny? Really aggressive food clocks seem like they'd help at first glance, but I think that'd just cause players to get obsessive about eking out as much possible exploration out of what time they have. Maybe if you aggressively destroyed portions of the dungeon somehow instead?

The trick is to make the food clock something other than a strictly deterministic number. Invisible Inc. has a fantastic food clock because high alarm level doesn't mean instant death at time X, it just gets harder and harder.

It's strictly optimal to be "obsessive about eking out exploration out of what time you have"; so just make it a game in itself. If you tell me "If you open 50 chests the Chestbeast will eat you", I'm gonna open 49 chests because I wanna win the video game. If you tell me "The Chestbeast gains strength with every chest you open!" then figuring out how many chests I can open starts to look suspiciously like fun gameplay.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think snaking is the right Mario Kart analogy either. More like "every minute you hold down the Z button before a race makes your kart 10% faster this Grand Prix" but the scoreboard doesn't mention how much Z buttoning anyone did.

The vast majority of games can be trivially beaten by some combination of learning spoilers, precisely memorizing/working on executing a sequence (bullet hells, most platformers), and grinding (defined as some low/no risk action that makes your avatar stronger without a functional upper bound). The neat thing about most well-designed roguelikes is that none of these are true. Beating a roguelike is actually a well-defined challenge that requires an unavoidable amount of system mastery. For those of us who play for mastery, this is a really neat thing!

"Well, gosh, just don't play it that way" is an annoying argument, because a lot of time the grinding elements are just a matter of degree. So now I have to figure out what the line is for a "satisfying" game experience. That shouldn't be my job - that should be the job of the game designer.

I think the analogy that should enter common parlance is going to the gym. Many people go to the gym to lift the weights over their head twenty times, and they can put whatever poundage they want on it to make sure it gets over their head. Sure, have fun. But some of us want the experience of a designer saying "I certifying that lifting 300 pounds is an attainable goal, even if it's gonna be hard" and then working ourselves to be able to lift 300 pounds.

Now suppose there's a balloon attached to the weight. As it inflates, the weight gets lighter. If I only have a minute to pump the balloon, I'm going to become a master at pumping the balloon - because that's part of the challenge and factored in to the 300 pounds. Now I have two skills I need to combine to lift the weight. But if I just have a single balloon that gradually inflates over time, the experience is shot. You can't say "well, just don't focus on inflating your balloon" because very often some measure of balloon inflating is inevitable (experience, loot) So when I lose, I have no real feedback - I could have won by playing better, but I also could have won by waiting for my balloon to inflate a bit more. And end game achievements for games rarely adjust for how much grinding you did on your avatar, so I can't even be proud when I lift the 300 pounds, because I very rarely have solid feedback about how much or little my balloon was inflated. Unless it's a system I can disengage with entirely (e.g a No Items run) then I'm always going to have the unsatisfying experience of lifting the weight and not knowing how much was me getting stronger and how much was the balloon. I want to know that lifting that 300 pound weight really means something - that my strength, and my skills at inflating the balloon under time pressure, have reached a certain level.

Okay, that analogy got a little strained, but I think it's needed. Without the balloon, it's easy to say "Why does it matter if people can put on as light of weights as they want - you can just use the heavy ones yourself". But that only works if the weights are well-defined, static, and I have a clear and meaningful goal. Most genres don't provide this. But well-designed roguelikes very often do. When I say "I 15-runed in Crawl", it means something. It was a goal I had to strain to reach and I had no shortcuts available to me. You know that I didn't just read the Gamefaqs guide, or camp the rat spawn, or just practice the boss fights until I could do them in my sleep. I 15-runed the only way you can ever 15 rune - I got as good as I needed to get against a game that offered me no easy way out. I don't think you need to be a HOM to appreciate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The thing is there's no clear line between "grinding" and playing normally. If you play a game where you can get significant advantages by playing under-challenging content you can easily end up doing that without ever consciously deciding to, and having to constantly ask "did the devs make a sensible difficulty curve or am I getting out of sync" sucks. It takes up attention that could be applied to more interesting tasks/challenges.

Also, if you make a game where easy paths to winning exist, you decrease a) the challenge level of the entire game and b) how psychologically gratifying it is to win. This is bad for games where you compete for score, it's bad for games where winning is supposed to be rare and significant, it's bad for games that are prized for their difficulty -- roguelikes are all of these things.

As for the theoretical guy who grinds for fun -- if they find it intrinsically entertaining to mow down weak enemies, they don't need to be extrinsically rewarded for it.

If they don't find it intrinsically entertaining, then it's not really the grinding they enjoy -- it's the progression itself. If you enjoy progression without risk, permadeath is useless cruft to you and you shouldn't be playing roguelikes; MMOs were made for people like you / that kind of mood. There's no shame in that, it just calls for completely contradictory design goals compared to what roguelikes set out to achieve.

This is a very good post and everyone should read it.

If this was reddit I would gild it, but since this is SA, do you want Renowned Explorers