Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

German Joey posted:

http://www.ancardia.com/download.html - you want the one WITH noteye integration. there's supposed to be a major new release due soon, but who knows if it'll actually be public right away.
Oh hey, this is cool! I never liked to deal with ASCII, so I gave ADOM a try after all. Made a few dwarfen paladins to get my feet wet, but they all died and I could use a few hints

How do you effectively deal with food? I bought a few extra rations after my first char starved, but now my guy keeps complaining after eating the first one, and seems to benefit much less from it.

How robust is the dungeon generation? I'm currently sitting on floor 4 of the first dungeon, and there are no stairs down. I searched the place for a secret door, but no luck.

How harsh is this game with OOD monsters? One of my paladins made it almost to the first boss(carpenter), but then he found a Rust Monster. Had no missile weapon, so it hosed me. I kinda don't think that should happen.

And lastly, can I change the resolution? I like to play in fullscreen, but would also like things to be a bit less tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the tips, folks! I'll play a new file later and see if I can get anything done

E:

BobMcFartsens posted:

Picked up SotS: The Pit a bit ago and been playing it the last week. This game is so frustrating. I love it.

I swear I got killed by Adaptoids 5 times in a row the other day.
This is from a few pages back, but caught my eye because I was surprised that the game isn't included in the OP. I've played it a fuckton, so maybe I'll do an effort post for it eventually.

If you're still having trouble with Adaptoids, let me tell you a few neat ways to spot them. First, they can only disguise as some of the 1 Tile wide props. The list includes things like medical lockers, ammo containers, ruined and normal beds, cages, tables, armor/gear lockers, and a few more. If you want to be save, always approach props with one move left. If you can't interact with it(if possible to begin with), it's a mimic. Then you can just evade it, or burn some crap ammo if you really need the Xp. However, the best tell for the presence of an Adaptoid are props that are out of place, like a med locker in an armory, or props that don't quite fit the usual layout. After playing for a while, you'll develop a feel for how props are placed. Like, two lockers that are touching each other likely means one's a mimic. Also, they only reveal if you're right next them, being at the diagonal squares is safe. With the expansions, you can also use the life sense power to find them!

Adaptoids are a common problem for new players, but they get less dangerous when you have some experience with the game. However, with the expansions, you can also meet another type of Adaptiod on the deep floors. They give the name "Mimic" a whole new meaning, and often kill runs really hard

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at May 20, 2014 around 17:24

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Flython posted:

Do they copy you or the room? I keep checking up on The Pit during Steam Sales but I've always talked my self out of it. One day in the far future I'll buy it and probably fall in love.
You. The exact data is unclear, but they get your health, armor, powers, and most or maybe all of your weapons. Depending on what you play, this can be really loving bad!

I'd say try the demo or watch a vid about the game first, because it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea. It's harsh and hella random, so you need to play it a bunch before you'll get anywhere.

So, my next stabs at ADOM went like the ones before

This happened right after I left the lovely town. The mage summoned all that poo poo, and I almost couldn't even hit her. And the few hits that landed, did little damage. The sheriff followed me for some reason, and watched in horror till I was toast.

And the next try, gave me this as the first dungeon floor. I searched all the walls, and then also kicked them in hopes to find a door. Nope, nothing seems to be there. Am I missing something, or is the new version maybe bugged? Really, I saw similar things at least three times now.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

German Joey posted:

there is absolutely a hidden door in that room. just press s to search along the walls, or 'w s' to search continuously for iirc 50 turns. also search in adom only searches adjacent tiles (unlike, say, crawl, which searches everything in LOS), so you actually have to stand next to the wall to search for the hidden door.

as for wilderness encounters, you can usually just evade them or run from them by switching into coward tactics and getting the hell out of there.

edit: here's a youtube of a pretty experienced guy playing ADOM w/ tiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgefJYVJXXg
Thanks, I'll give that vid a watch. And yeah, there was a door there. Though, I swear I already searched that tile and kicked the wall. Is spotting hidden doors a % thing?

I'll try to flee from such an encounter next time. Really, I should have after seeing that my hit chance was so bad. I guess it's just that I got accustomed to starting zones being kinda safe to dick around in.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

BobMcFartsens posted:

Thanks for the tips! I got the DLC and stuff, which has made certain things easier (Psionics help detect those drat adaptoids), but since it added so much, it's made it even tougher. So far i've only got 1 win under my belt, as Scout. Tryin' for a Ranger victory next.
Nice, did you win on normal or easy?

The Ranger is one of my favorites, because she has some nice unique talents. The tail attack can mostly get you through the first ten floors, so in a perfect run, you'd only use your pistol and sword once every character level to make raising those skills cheaper. Being stingy with your pistol ammo is also kind of a big deal, because that type of ammo isn't very common. The three movement points also go a long way. Evading some of the bigger enemies, and generally trying to be stealthy, is a good idea with the Ranger. Especially when you can lure acid blobs into a room, and get out again while closing the door behind you. Only the biggest blobs will try to bust down doors, and they usually stop when you get away far enough. I personally focus my early levels on pistol/blade/forage/psi def. She starts with good forage, but getting it to 80 ASAP, can score you some amazing early drops. Psi def will save your life in the long run, but the skills after psi armor are of questionable value. Later levels depend on what things you find, but the Ranger needs a good overall balance in stats and skills. Though, you can skip on psi power as you'll never use offense powers. Getting it to 60 helps with resistance, iirc, but points after that are a waste. The late game can be harsh for the Ranger though, because she has to completely rely on what things you can loot. To help with that, invest a bit in your decipher skill and use the tesseract wells. Stuff any surplus ammo/weapons/things in there, as they may save your run later on.

The expansion really added a lot of nice stuff to the game, but as you said, it has also gotten tougher. Especially the massive drop table can lead to some problems, because lots of items are made for certain races and can even be restricted to them. It's awful when all your armor drops are not for your race

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

BobMcFartsens posted:

I won on Normal with Scout! I just got to ~20 on my Ranger, but ultimately didn't have enough firepower. Thanks for advise for my next run.
Oh hey, guess what? I'm also doing a Ranger atm, and have the same problem.

Have been rushing pretty much since I got past floor 20, because I still only have my starting armor and a sniper rifle as my best weapon. But hey, I can have one awesome meal before I croak.

This is where I just now saved my game. Cornered by Green Men, with Specimen Takers hot on my rear end. There is also a Morrigi Screamer and fire blob on my trail. Yeah

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Nephilm posted:

One Way Heroics is out on steam, for anyone who hadn't heard of it.
Thanks, grabbed it just now. Usually I'm not big on games with Anime art style, but the core concept seems pretty interesting.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

All this talk reminded me of a project I'm looking forward to, Illuminascii. It's still WIP, but pretty much the only FPS roguelike thingy I'd ever consider to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McVpPC6eGAg
He's a member of the forums btw.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Dairy Power posted:

I've only spent a couple hours on Sword of Stars, but it wasn't all that enjoyable imo. It has a lot of really tedious features that promote grinding. Ammo for all of the weapons is in extremely short supply, which I found to be more frustrating than a fun resource management type deal. If you want to not starve, you'll pretty much have to look up recipes to make different foods online. There does seem to be a fairly large fan base, though. I may have just needed to put a few more hours into it and get the hang of it, but nothing really stood out enough to make me want to keep trying.
Well, a lot of your post is right. And I say that as somebody who likes the game and played it for way too many hours. The thing about the Pit is that you're at the mercy of the RNG, and there's nothing that you can do about it. It ultimately doesn't matter how well you play, because if you don't get certain drops before a certain depth, you will not win. Period. Of course, playing well and knowing what to do shifts the odds in your favor a bit, but probability does not care about your efforts. If you don't get an armor for the tough floors, you're hosed. If you don't get a weapon for the tough enemies, you're hosed. If you don't find ammo for your good weapon, you're hosed. If you don't find enough food containers, you're hosed. And the list goes on...

Now, as said I like the game, but I also think that it was deliberately designed to be grindy and unfair, so that people play it longer. It was much less of a problem in the old version where you only had three classes and a much smaller drop-table. But while the expansion added some pretty cool stuff, the drop-tables have become huge and I'm convinced that nobody wanted to actually balance them. Especially in regards to some of the new enemies, and the decision to make the Pit ten floors deeper with a gently caress-you boss at the end. Like, it doesn't matter that I know how to conserve my resources, how to level my class, what risks I should take, and especially at what depth I stop clearing full floors - because the drop tables are my one and only god. I had way too many runs where all the armors I got(2-3 drops is the average) couldn't be worn by my race. Or where I just didn't get a weapon that can actually damage the final boss and his guards. And it was also a super good decision to crank up the equipment damage overall. It's nice that you found that combat armor, but whoops, two floors later it's broken and you ain't getting another drop. Deal with it.

Of course, that's kind of a hyperbole, but very true at its core. The Pit is pretty much a game for people who have high amounts of patience, or masochists. And that's a shame, because it could be really good and the market doesn't exactly offer many RL games with guns and aliens. That's also why I've been playing it since the first release, because there's no alternative to it. I don't want to make the game sound worse than it is, but I just formed this opinion by playing it a lot so there we are. To be honest, nowadays I play it for a month or two, and then stop until I my hatred for the RNG has died down. Otherwise I would have deleted it a long time ago.

Okay, some tips for those that want to give it a try.

-Play on easy. Don't think you're cool because you know RL games. Play on easy until you have a couple of wins!

-Look up recepies on the Wiki. Otherwise you have to grind them out over a ton of games, which is awful. They get added to your PDA if you made them once. This is especially important to make better food items from the bits you find.

-Upgrade your Forage skill everytime until you hit 80, or 60 if you play a class with few points per level. It influences quality and quantity of what loot sources can drop.

-Melee trash enemies. Your pistol is cool and all, but don't waste bullets on a rat. The only exception to that rule is one shot per early character level so raising the weapon skill is cheaper.

-Don't wear armor in the early floors, except when there are shooty enemies around. Otherwise it'll fall to bits ASAP and you probably will need it past floor ten due to the awesome drop tables.

-Try to get as many drops before floor 15-20, and after that you should not clear complete floors. You just won't have enough resources for that. Figure out what rooms can yield which drops, and only go for things that you need.

-Don't be afraid to run away from large enemies. A lot of them are just bullet sponges that drain your inventory.

-Kill/avoid grey blobs and moles ASAP. Acid will damage things on your person and in your inventory.

-Get Psy defense. You'll need it.

-And lastly, stop playing when you get frustrated.

Phew, that sure were some words

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at Apr 12, 2014 around 23:08

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Nah, it's called "Sword of the Stars: The Pit" and is set in the universe of the SotS games. So it's just kind of a typo

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

The Pit has a new DLC out on Steam for $1.99. It adds a new class and a couple other minor additions.
1 new playable character, The Shepherd, a Zuul.
8 new monsters!
5 new armors!
19 new items!
13 new recipes!
13 new weapons!

And a few minor bugfixes according to the changelog. Gonna grab it once it's out on GOG. I hope they also did a bit of balancing, but I doubt it.

victrix posted:

Does it add a 'holy poo poo crafting is awful' fix?
It's only awful if you don't look up all the recepies, memorize which items you should keep, and don't properly level the required skills

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Harminoff posted:

Rogue Shooter is out on steam. Anyone playing?
I was waiting for this game since I saw a vid about it. Just grabbed it, and guess what? Can't play it because it says "out of memory" while loading

Lots of people have this error, so I guess it's the usual trouble with bringing random indie games to Steam and whatnot. The dev seems to be aware, but I'll stay away until it's fixed.

E: Another user posted a temporary fix on the Steam forum. It's a simple patch utility, so I'll at least check out the game now.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at Apr 26, 2014 around 16:25

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Pladdicus posted:

Me, it's okay. The unlock system should be during rounds, not just after. And it's LONG.

But worth the price of admission if you like old era shooters.
Yeah, same. It's fun if you like old Fps games, but still has lots of problems. Like not being able to save+quit in a safe room. Nope, either play all of it or die. And I was kinda annoyed that nothing unlocked after I quit my first run beyond floor twenty! Could become a nice game with a little more time+feedback.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, just look them up on the Wiki. Otherwise you need to play a ton of runs before you have the basic food combinations that you need to survive. Other than that, you can develop a memory for what other crafting items show up often enough to make it worth to carry them around. Most of the really good crafts will never be completed though, because the RNG hates you with all its might. I played this game a ton, so ask away and I can probably help. You can also filter my posts itt, and see some tips I posted last time this game came up.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

So basically just look up the most useful recipes and ignore everything else? Can I get away with just crafting utility items and not worrying about weapons and armour?
More or less, yes. There are a few special cases, but most good weapon and armor recipes are a bitch to complete. And you basically need to use tesseract wells to store crafting items for a while so that they don't block valuable inventory space. You also need to level the required crafting skills, and of course, nobody says that you'll even find all the required parts anyway. Aside from food/healing/utility items, there is honestly a pretty small selection of things that I generally try to build. The Chitin Plate Armor is not too hard to make, and pretty nice. Keeping the parts for a Laser Rifle is also a pretty safe bet. A Lifter Pack is also not too tough to make, and expands your inventory a bit. And the Targeting Helm/Quantum Visor use mostly common parts too.

The larger recepies can lead to some kick-rear end gear, but you'll probably only ever complete them once every blue moon. Rejoice when you do, but never count on it. Your best weapons and armor usually come from loot sources.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Edwhirl posted:

How do I only fire a single shot with an autopistol in SotS: The Pit? The tutorial said it was control but that doesn't appear to be working.
You don't. The auto pistol will always fire two bullets per attack. Iirc, control is the key you use to designate several targets for burst weapons. Not sure if the pistol can do that too.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Edwhirl posted:

So what stats are useful? So far I've been playing the ranger (because the tail swipe is pretty cool). I mean, should I focus on might? Brains? Finesse?
Prioritize might for inventory space, resistances and melee damage. Finesse is for shooting, so it's okay to ignore it for the first ten floors or so. You will eventually need it, but might is your main stat. Brains is debatable, as the Ranger has very little room for psi powers. It does boost related skills, but only by a small amount. Though, it also governs your chance to spot traps and resist some status effects, so I usually end up putting 10 points into it when I feel that my other stats are good for now. Psi Power is also not important for the Ranger, but I usually can spare the five points to get it to 60.

Yeah, the tail swipe is a super great crutch early on, but will not scale well later. I personally go for pistol/blade/forage/psi def on the Ranger, and later branch out depending on what stuff I could loot.

BobMcFartsens posted:

Might until 80 (For biggest inventory), also get Forage up to 100 so you can get sweet loot.
This is not entirely correct

Every ten points of might give you six more inventory cells, and you max your natural inventory at 100 might.

Forage is a tricky skill, and I think that 100 is a waste of good points. The thing is that every eight points in Forage will improve your loot rolls by +1. So the natural breakpoints are at 40 and 80. Skill boost from attributes go beyond your natural cap, so it's possible to get to 120. But you'll need a very specific build for that. I've never really noticed a difference between 80 and 100 in my runs, so I stick with 80 for classes that get enough skill points. Suckers like the Marine have to make due with 40 or a little more, but can't afford to pump this skill instead of others. A thought of mine is that a too high forage skill may also work against you a bit. Like, when you open an ammo box, a high forage skill may give you a fancy ammo type that you don't need, while you can't find any goddam pistol or rifle ammo. I'm not too sure about the mechanics, but I think too much Forage can make you shoot past the basic loot that you still would like to have.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at May 21, 2014 around 12:43

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Desktop Dungeons also has a lot of unlocking/building stuff in it. Though the core gameplay is a bit more puzzle orientated than a pure RL. It also get's really tricky in the later stages. One day I'll beat the loving challenge dungeons..One day...

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Farquar posted:

I really like parts of it and dislike others. The "look everything up in a wiki" crafting system is the biggest turn off for me. The recipes should be better, but you just can't make them until you learn/find it. As it is, it feels like a chore to look them up outside of the game, but I feel like I'm losing out if I ignore crafting, therefore, playing the game feels like a chore.
Same, for the most part. I've been playing this since the release of the first version, but I'm honest enough to say that it's a grindy game that seems to be designed around making you play it as much/long as possible. I've mentioned my gripes with the bloated drop table and being at the total mercy of the RNG before, but that's really my main problem. It ultimately doesn't matter how well you play or know the game, because if you don't get the right drops you're just hosed and can start over. Still I keep coming back to it, because there is no real alternative and I may be broken in that regard.

Also, the crafting is a chore at first, but becomes okay when you learn what stuff you should hang on to. Like, you're supposed to play a ton of runs to unlock the basic recipes that you actually need to survive(especially when it comes to food!), which is a dumb idea. So I just looked everything up on the net early on. It's also not that fun, but at least the combinations stay in your PDA when you've made them once. Doesn't matter if you have actually found the recipe in the game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Depressing Drawers posted:

Tossed a coin whether I would post this since the thread is on the first page, turns out the coin said I should post this trailer I uploaded for Illuminascii tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K51GG__Xn2Y
Love how this is shaping up, dude!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

If I remember correctly the general consensus is to get The Pit-Gold and the Mindgames dlc.

I really like The Pit and find myself coming back to it despite its flaws.
Yes and

Getting the newest DLC is a good idea too.

Also the Shepherd is a pretty drat powerful character.
He sure is! His only real weakness is the increased hunger rate, which gets tricky when you use your Psi Powers a lot since every cast adds a bit of hunger. Granted, he's also a bit frail when you get past floor 20, but if the drops are kind to you that can be overcome. Taking control of Zuuls is also a huge help when you start to meet the larger variants. Robots will still be the number one pain in the rear end though.

For reference, I could only get to level 10 with the Marine on Easy
Whoa, the marine should easily be able to bring you farther than that

Back in the day when we had only three classes, the marine was pretty much the "win game" class. His high combat skills and starting gear meant that you could tear through the early game, while pumping all his bad stats so that you could get sweet drops and ace the important skill checks. Nowadays he's a much harder class, but still a good choice for beginners. The trick is to level his combat skills(pistol and blade) from the start, so that you can get much more mileage out of your basic weapons. At the same time, get forage to 40(for the first loot dice breakpoint), and get Psi resist to 20(for the psi def power). Having Psi def is required or you'll get murdered by the various foes that can put fear/stun on you. It's not guaranteed to work, but the best thing you'll get. Psy will always be a huge weakness, and there is a recipe for "Hum Gum" which insta cures a lot of mental conditions. Pretty much a required item for the marine.

Other than that, don't get forage too high because you can't afford to squander points on it. If you reach 60 with your skill boni(brains), leave it there. You'll have less supplies than other classes, but can make more of each bullet at the same time. It's much better to invest in mechanical/electronics/computers by that point. You'll never be awesome at the later two skills, but getting all three to 60 should be a goal. And then up to 80 if you can manage it. Attributes rank Might>Finesse>Brains>Power imo. Might is your best stat, and you should prioritize it. Finesse makes you better at hitting with guns and also gives a damage boost, so it's obvious why you should also raise it. Brains should be raised to 50 and then be left alone. This will at least give you a chance to spot more floor traps(loving wormholes), passive skil boni and a bit more psi def. Power only relates to your psi pool/powers and should be completely ignored.

Your biggest weakness is having an Xp penalty, so you need to kill more enemies to keep up with the curve. However, it's a bad idea to clear full floors once you get past 15 or 20, so you will stay under the curve eventually. This is partly countered by your high weapons skills from the start, but your utility skills will stay under the curve for skill checks by that point. You're at the mercy of the RNG, deal with it. Once in a blue moon you may find enough drops to still clear floors at that point, but don't count on it. And the other problem is that you have to rely on what you can find, because the marine will never be good at using psi offense skills. If you're too trigger happy, or waste the durability of your armor or melee weapons, you're hosed when the floors get tougher.

Aside from that, a lot of being successful has to do with knowledge of the game and little tricks. For instance, my early strat is taking my armor off and not using it until I'm at least on floor ten(15 if I'm lucky). Armor drops are rare as hell, and you need that vest to carry you eventually. I'm also stingy with my weapons, and only get a single pistol and blade kill for each early character level. This makes the skill cheaper to raise on the level up, but saves ammo&dura for later. The marine is tough enough to punch most early enemies with his bare hands. Of course you sometimes meet something tougher, so that isn't an iron rule, but a generally good idea. Also you'll always be bad at crafting, so take note of what things have low checks and still help you. Lockpicks for instance can be made easily and give a little but useful boost. And making various sandwiches or simple dishes based around cooked meat will keep you from starving. If you can score items that give boni to your bad skill checks, hang on to them at any cost!

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at Jul 9, 2014 around 20:34

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

If it's any consolation, it sounds like you went to the graveyard, which is a hilariously lethal area, followed by Daikara (and the Temporal Rift!) which are also hilariously lethal early game. Honestly, congratulations on surviving that long in those areas at that level!
lol, the graveyard is a huge noobie trap. It's kinda mean that you can access it so early, because it has all the signs of an early quest that you should do. And then you get owned without mercy. Even advanced characters will have a hard time with the random elites that can spawn from the coffins, and may the gods help you if you trigger the boss without clearing the coffins first. I usually go there in my mid twenties, and then decide if I can deal after fighting one of the elites. Another mean quest is the random tunnel with the girl and chanting. Everytime when I get it I know that I shouldn't take it(except when I have huge corruption res), but I do it anyway because I'm stubborn. Then I lose a life to all the mages and ditch it. I've only cleared it once so far, and it was with a pretty powerful Wyrmic that had enough res through his equipment.

McFrugal posted:

Well, that explains the difficulty. I did hit the thief hideout and slaver compound before gibbing myself on the dragon (well, more its entourage than the dragon itself). It probably helped that I found a really good unique lightning greathammer early on and got a rune of healing that healed me for 100 health every time I used it. Then I found an even better, unique ultra-light greatsword.
As the others said, check out the Tome thead in the games forum. Once you understand the order of the tier 1-3 zones, you can start to die for real and learn how to build your char and what equipment you need to hang on to

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at Jul 17, 2014 around 10:50

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Your game looks neat, Unormal. Good luck with the release!

In other news, I've been playing a lot of Desktop Dungeons lately. I really like the "puzzle" gameplay even if some of the challenges make me feel like a retard because I can't find the way to complete them. Anybody else playing that game?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Wanna play that game

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Potsticker posted:

I know it's a trailer so they want to show a lot of action, but it makes the game look like a mindless fps with big, flat rooms and a bunch of monsters and not very fun at all. If that's exactly what it is, then I'll have to pass.
I saw a longer vid yesterday, but it's removed now. Probably because the person had a press copy and wasn't actually supposed to release footage now or whatever. Anyway, the game seems to be deeper than what you assume. You collect xp from killed monsters and pick perks when you level up, so there is rpg stuff. The rooms that I saw either had treasure, traps, lore, or monsters. In the last case, you get a bar at the top that reads "minions" and that ticks down with every kill. Aside from xp, they also drop mana for your three different mana pools which are staff, spell, and alchemy. The aim on each floor is to find a key that summons the boss, and of course, getting xp, new things, and looking for secret rooms behind cracked walls. In the video I saw that you have a little zappy wand as your default weapon, which recharges and fires fast but it's weak. Then I saw an ice spell that's like a shotgun, and a fire grenade that did a little AOE damage. So overall, kinda like hexen with the speed of quake and some roguelike stuff in it. Tbh, I'd like to jump around in a cloud of monsters while I zap magic at their faces but that's just me.

E: Oh hey, turns out the video was pulled because some people couldn't watch it on their mobiles. I'll link it once it comes back.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at Aug 16, 2014 around 19:11

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Here's the Ziggurat video I was talking about earlier. Should be a good way to estimate if it's your cup of tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OZDYo6faak

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

My biggest problem with these is that Doom / Heretic / Hexen feel 100x better, and have so much unplayed high quality content that a roguelike FPS would really have to break the mold to have any kind of staying power.

e: Hell, I'd rather just have a wad randomizer and some kind of mod that fakes weapon progression. You're going to get crazy unbalanced content, but at least the encounters aren't "monsters in a room".
I can totally understand you. I also think that Ziggurath needs to be fleshed out more and should go beyond what it currently is. But since it's early access, I hope it will. I personally will wait on buying it a bit, just to see what happens. But then again, even if it stays mostly the same, I still will grab it because I'm a sucker for fast paced fps games.

Well, at least it's no Rogue Shooter. That was a waste of five bux for me

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, I too constantly worry about the right labels for things instead of discussing games that share similar mechanics to other games that I like

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I always miss the Sproggiwood keys completely

Klaus Kinski posted:

I blame euro timezones

x2

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Chinook posted:

Or you could just ask for a key?
Bitchmove imo

E:
Unormal is a very cool person

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at Aug 26, 2014 around 15:26

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Played a bit just now and it's pretty cool! The look is cute without being too childish, and the writing made me chuckle. Played the first dungeon with two classes, and enjoyed it. Obviously the start is a bit basic in terms of tactical challenge, but I assume that'll ramp up eventually. Speaking of which, I got owned super hard in the second dungeon by tons of foes that poured out of random dimension doors. Couldn't really stand up to that flood. Is that normal or was it an effect of the scroll of wonders I used?

Overall I can see this as the kind of game that I play when I'm on break, or have to fill a bit of time on the side. Kinda like what Desktop Dungeons currently does for me. Usually I look more for a tactical challenge like TomE, but as said, haven't seen much of the game as of now. Also, despite having filled out the survey, here's a small bug report from me.

-My guy couldn't move anymore at the end of the tutorial. After restarting, I saw that it was because the goat had moved on top of the door while triggering the text. Afterwards it stood on the door and couldn't go through it.

-After my new slime friend told me about spending my gold, the context options for my buildings didn't work anymore. I could bring them up, but clicking on them didn't do anything. So no info, and moving town objects could only be accomplished through the actual menu. Didn't fix itself after going to a dungeon or another screen.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Unormal posted:

Yeah, it's built to be something that plugs into the short play-session slot, not replace a campaign-length roguelike like CoQ. My elevator pitch kernel was a roguelike you could play while standing in line at Chipotle. We're going to ship on iOS and Android as well, it's just too much work to do all at once in a single release-date for us.
Cool, I think you got that angle nicely covered as it hit me that way right from the start. Oh, and town building would be neat eventually, but it's understandable why you'd push that back for now. Since I already mentioned Desktop Dungeons, I can also say that I enjoyed the limited town building you could do in that game. I guess it's just another facet of the progress cycle that I like in rogue/adventure games.

Bobo the Red posted:

In the meantime, I started playing TOME and I am so bad. Have unlocked some random classes by sheer luck (summoner/archmage/cursed), and I've had a bit more luck with those (except archmage because I have no hitpoints). Had a weird experience my last game as all the dungeons were different (troll was full of water, that bear was an ice bear corpse) and harder and killed my beloved dwarf cursed. How do I suck less / get cool dudes
Tome is vile and wants you to die. All is

Jk, it's not too bad when you get more familiar with it. A general starter tip is to visit a town after you get out of your first dungeon, and look for a decent regen infusion. You basically want to have a decent regen(which is better than insta heal imo), an escape option(movement infusion, controlled teleport rune or a shield rune to tank while you flee), and a wild infusion for physical effects(magic is good too, but more situational). Some classes can cover that with skills though, so experiment. A Wyrmic can have two regen infusions going back to back 24/7 with the right skills and get movement power from a talent for instance. Then it's a process of trial and error with the class that you enjoy. You really need to read all the skills and figure out what works and what doesn't. Also, don't get in over your head in combat and always stay on your toes. The number one causes of death are getting swarmed, not paying attention to status effects, using your heal too late, or meeting a champion type monster with skills that you don't understand. There is a Tome thread on the forums, swing by and lots of people will give you specific tips. Oh, and the different dungeons are alternate version that randomly get chosen at the start of a new game.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at Aug 26, 2014 around 18:24

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Except when you meet a runed bone giant that heals up to 100% every few turns and pops a big shield when it gets down to low hp. Let's see your defense handle that

But yes, not leveling con enough is also a huge cause of death. Even mages need a little bit of it every few levels, or you'll just get nuked by ranged monsters. And it's debateable if it's better to focus on offense or defense, and hugely depends on the class that you play. Burning through enemies with huge and fast spikes while also being sorta frail is fun and works.

vvvv
Oh right, I forgot about that. God, runed bone giants are such bullshit. At least they're rare and don't do too much damage, but drat, every fight with them is memorable. Though they only get up again once, and you could stair scum to recover after taking away their first live. At least iirc.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at Aug 26, 2014 around 18:38

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Short bug report for Sproggiwood.

The game froze twice so far while loading the last floor of the big tree. Each time it happened when populating reached 61%. Though, it didn't freeze in the pure sense, but got stuck on that point with music still going.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

Claustrophobia is all the way live and up ons Steam Early Access today-- 5 bucks from the dude's site.
Not to be a busta, but several things about this game remind me of Dreadmor.

I still grabbed it though, cause it's only four bucks on Steam because Euro power I guess?

E: I played a quick game, and while it indeed has several obvious similarities to Dredmor, it's a lot faster and more fun. It's also hard and I got owned on the second floor

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at Sep 9, 2014 around 19:18

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Am I supposed to be grinding the first area or something before heading out?
This is a common problem for new players so don't sweat it. Aside from using your quest log as a guide, it's also a good idea to clean the other starter dungeons for the boss drops and a few extra levels.

Here is a page on the Tome Wiki with a Goon zone order. You don't have to strictly follow it, but it's a good way pointer.

http://te4.org/wiki/Goon_Zone_Order_Progression

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, that's par for the course

Tome is awesome but you really need a bit of experience to know how everything works and what you should and shouldn't do. But when you got that down it's great!

Also, that jammed door was probably a vault. Those can sometimes spawn in almost any dungeon and have neat loot but also monsters that are often much tougher than the rest of the zone. So yeah, open at your own risk.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

gently caress yeah

The Pit got a new DLC, Juggernaut, today for $2.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323560/

Featuring:

New playable character, the Tarka male, Tor!
New recipes, including ammo conversion recipes! (over 50)
New weapons and weapon variants!
New items!
New monsters!
New achievements!
Oh sweet! Now I only have to wait until it shows up on GOG, because that's where I got the game and the other DLC stuff

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Grats on the successful launch, Unormal! I can't access my Pc atm, but I'm looking forward to give the latest version a spin.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at Oct 26, 2014 around 18:46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Happylisk posted:

I better not be the only one of you nerds looking forward to some righteous monster crushing all day Tuesday when Dungeonmans is formally released!!!
Nah, you're not. I finally got around to grabbing a copy after ogling the game since the days of the summer preview build. Having lots of fun so far!

«2 »