Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Unormal posted:

MWY8X-T9R0C-7MDAH

Grabbed this one, I will fill out your survey TWICE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, fun but easy, and items are pretty boring. I didn't actually fill out your survey twice because I was too lazy to internetbamboozle the survey site to let me. Sorry, I lied.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Sproggiwood is a bit too easy for me, but using it as a gateway drug for roguelikes is a great idea. Good job, Unormal+. There's hope that I'll be able to talk about my nerdgames in real life instead of just with internet people!

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Sounds like a load of horse poo poo to me. 40 dollars is too much period, but then you're talking roguelikes, which is built on a bunch of open source monstrosities that cost no one anything and never will. You're competing with free. Who is going to pay 40 bucks?

Edit: Also that site looks like my geocities page I made in 4th grade.

alarumklok fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 17, 2014

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Is 1.3 the one with tiles? Because I am a piss poor neckbeard and will only play roguelikes with tiles, and I really want to play Sil.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not quite sure I understand. That's perfect. Ship it. You're done!

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

But spending 6 hours smacking bears to get 1% crit feels RIGHT. Also, the roguelike argument is leaking into the steam thread, someone call an exorcist.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Even though I'm probably not going to play it anytime soon since TW3 1.07 just dropped, I bought CoQ as a thank you for the Sproggiwood key. Keep making really good stuff, unless you want to make some bad stuff ironically I guess.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

alarumklok posted:

Even though I'm probably not going to play it anytime soon since TW3 1.07 just dropped, I bought CoQ as a thank you for the Sproggiwood key. Keep making really good stuff, unless you want to make some bad stuff ironically I guess.

The patch took too long to download so I made the mistake of playing CoQ Friday night, and now I'm 11 hours in and haven't touched the Witcher at all. Way to ruin my weekend!

I do have a question though: master harvestry and butchery mention chance for special poo poo to drop, but I've never got anything so far. What kind of special stuff are we talking about here?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Rip four-legged blinking fur-mutant with a shotgun, you were so young, but even a movespeed of like 2084018 can't outrun the Pauli exclusion principle.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Phasing ran out with him in a wall.

Yeah, this one. I chugged(:downs:)injected a shade oil injector and was running from a robot. I wasn't paying attention and thought I had another 1-2 turns to get out of the wall, and phased back in, dying instantly.

alarumklok fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 21, 2015

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I think you broke something, unormal. AV/DV and penetration/damage aren't displaying on items anymore since the patch. I turned off and on that option related to it just in case, no effect.

Edit: vvv timely as usual. sweet deal

alarumklok fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 24, 2015

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I wanted to make the ugliest chimera but I guess you can't pick the repulsive-as-gently caress defect since it's a mental mutation. :smith:

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, a "loadout" screen where true kin pick poo poo they requisitioned from their arcology would be neat, and provide more consistent survivability early game and some much-needed wowneato factor to the starting option that doesn't let you shoot mindlasers and fart disintegration gas.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

You can press tab when you're hovering over an item in your inventory to look at it too, and tab to close the description. It's pretty neat.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Go free to play mobile and use it to fuel full-time gamesmaking. Make sure you burn all bridges at your current place of employment when you quit for the true indie dev experience.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

A little to the left

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

omeg posted:

Someone mentioned it before but here's how Path of Exile implements evasion (it's a diablo-like but better :v:). I haven't played an evasion-focused character so I can't say how well it works but it seems pretty reasonable.
It works pretty well, especially with a buffer of some kind (energy shield), and is one of my favorite concepts from PoE and I really hope it catches on in other games.

Here's my making GBS threads on unormal list:

1. Balance. True kin really need some reason to pick them, and not just tinkering since that just makes 2 of 12 castes viable instead of 1 of 12. I confess I have no experience with cybernetics since I've never beat Golgotha, but maybe a more robust or earlier-available version of that? True kin power tapers off pretty quickly even compared to chimera, so some kickin' rad enhanced oculars or Typhoon explosives or something might pick up the slack in midgame and carry them to late. Early game they can be pretty hit or miss, and a loadout option at chargen would help with that. I don't think this is as necessary, since a rough start is something that can be overcome much easier than being godawful in mid-late game.

2. UI. It's already been said a bunch, but a better UI would be nice, specifically for equipment management and the message log. The equipment screen is less functional than the inventory screen for equipment management because you have to select -> remove -> equip new while the inventory screen lets you just straight swap, but blindly. Figuring out what happened last turn in the message log is pretty hit or miss.

3. UI. Screen flashing when you take damage or when you're low on health is a pretty QoL thing but it helps fix the issue of health taking up so little screen real estate and thus being harder to see.

4. Factions. I don't know what your exact plans are here, but something that would be nice is if there is a more static element to each faction. One of my earlier games there were a bunch of Barathrumites milling about near bedrolls at Red Rock and thought that was pretty cool, but I haven't seen anything like that since. Minor settlements like that for some legendaries would really give the impression landscape is sparsely occupied, and it makes it easier to "deal" with factions by trading or offering water or whatever.

5. UI. Tangentially, the ability to mark the map with PoI would be killer as gently caress.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

MJ12 posted:

Another suggestion might be to differentiate mental and physical mutations, mental mutations generally have one effect while physical ones have multiple ones, an active and a passive. Flaming hands might provide Fire resistance, Freezing hands Cold resistance, and for something like Corrosive Gas Generation the passive benefit might be an immunity to breathing in toxins and +Poison Resistance. Enhanced Speed gives its speed boost (I'd cut its weakness) but once every thousand turns you can take a pile of hunger and thirst to double or triple your speed for a short period of time. Tightening carapace might let you trade DV for PV for a short period of time. Stuff like that.

So physical effects might have long cooldowns that can't be easily reduced-but they're providing significant passive benefits all the time with some oh-poo poo buttons, whereas mental ones let you easily spam active effects.

This is good. Being able to stand in farts is the best part of gas generation, and more physical mutations should be like that.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Since Invisible Inc just received a patch, is on sale, and had extended campaign dlc announced, I'd like to tell everyone you should totally check it out if you haven't. It's the only game off the top of my head that has significant random generation but is practically devoid of RNG fuckery. About the only thing I can say about the game that's poo poo is the flaccid ending (so, a roguelike), but other than that it's gold. I suggest playing either on Expert or Expert Plus right off the bat, because it's got 2-3 completed runs in it and you really don't want to waste one of them on pisseasy mode.

Unormal posted:

Now that the code base is stable (knock on wood), we're going to move to a cadence of weekly "feature friday" patches. Intra-week incremental patches will be made to the Beta branch. These patches may not be individually large, and due to the nature of our work we may not always hit our goal, but we're excited to start to bring new content to Qud on a regular basis!

itshappening.gif

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, even though I really liked it, after I beat it 3 times I kind of lost interest. Despite the random levels and items and poo poo, it has very consistent gameplay. You kind of get "the pattern" after that many runs. It also lends itself better to starting at the hardest and working down to the difficulty that fits you, since your inevitable death will unlock new stuff to play with.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

quote:

By using “Agony Scent” items obtained in dungeons, the girls will get excited.

Video game tie-in to AXE® Body Spray :wow:

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Separate windows looks really dumb too, even if it is pretty functional. Not dumb trumps functionality in game design. I completed a youtube playlist on pygame, I would know.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that's really nice looking. SHIP IT YOURE DONE

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't like it, and ended up returning it a few minutes ago.

Units are so fragile that whoever gets attacked first is probably dying outside of low-damage frontliners (especially since it's 100% hit chance outside of cover). This makes combat a game of area denial ala chess, but having 4 different noncustomizable "pieces" (classes) made it play out even more inflexibly than chess does. You can't control start of battle formation either, so have fun losing your veteran deadeye you've been carefully cultivating because anywhere you move him he'll get attacked next turn by something and die.
Your main method of influencing the battle are using equalizers, kind of like Heroes spells if this was HoMM. Your starting dozer has a lovely heal which can be used to screw with combat math like pumping a blocking critter in MTG so only one guy dies, and a 1 turn shield that that really doesn't block enough damage to actually save anyone, but whatever. You don't really get many new ones, and I probably found around 5-6 over all 3 runs.
Unit and dozer progress is extremely linear with little to no choices involved. Units just level up and get better hp/damage, and the dozer has 4 things you can pick to level. Customization comes from different dozers and new equalizers, but one is locked in at the start, and the others only start showing up (as far as I've seen from the 3 runs I played) with any predictability at the bottom of the map closer to the end of the run.

That sounds way more negative than I actually felt, so I will say they nailed the balanced drain of resources, which makes Bedlam play and feel like Banner Saga just felt.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

I just start throwing rectangles down-- did this randomly sized and placed rectangle fit in the area? No? Toss it out and try again. 10,000 failures? Unthinkable, rebuild the level, try again. The end results are: levels that do what I want combined with deep, crimson-hued shame over inflexible code that only works in that one location.

So the coding equivalent of slamming the square peg in the round hole repeatedly until you've worn a big enough hole it'll fit. There's no shame in that, only +piety with Trog.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Is anyone else playing Forays? How does the game decide when you get feats?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Dire indeed

Renowned Explorers owns bones

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

You can also put a hero in an unpowered room to suspend spawns there. It's a neat little trick for the later floors when power gets scarce

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I usually don't do these things but the genre being what it is, hopefully this helps someone find a new game:
1. Brogue - the perfect amount of depth without any unnecessary complexity, brogue is probably my favorite roguelike. Because items are your build, every game is completely different, but you still have immense control over how you want to build by how you use your enchantment scrolls. Complete exposure to every bit of information, down to how many hits you can take from enemies before dying lets you make informed choices and almost completely eliminates that feeling of a bullshit death
2. Dungeon Crawl - basically the Platonic ideal of a roguelike
3. Invisible Inc - I think I've beat this like 6 times on expert plus? I haven't played the DLC yet but it's proof positive that if you get extremely talented devs even the weirdest concepts (turn-based stealth) can turn out amazing
4. ToME4 - a giant amazing slog that I never want to ascend again after beating, even though I did twice more because it's too cool for skool. Having, at minimum, a dozen options when you're in panic mode really makes the game feel tactical. Also gently caress consumables
5. Caves of Qud - my new go-to sandbox roguelike, and the game I'm most excited about the development of. Even though I'm on my AAA game stint right now, I still have CoQ updates on my feed
6. Risk of Rain - this game is pretty great, but gets much better when you get that mutator that lets you pick from a list of same-rarity items when they drop, adding dozens of more hours to the game by letting you make your own builds. You can show off your weird hopping contact damage builds in co-op too
7. Hoplite - extremely elegant mobile game, it's like hexagonal chess where the moves you don't make are just as important as the ones you do. Also Leonidas-ing bombers into lava
8. Dungeonmans - replaces Dredmor for me as my humor roguelike by also being highly modern in design decisions (sorry dreddevs, I'm still excited for Clockwork!)
9. Renowned Explorers - oozes so much personality and uniqueness and also the only game in recent memory where I cause damage by pointing at wolves with a fish-filled speech bubble over my head
10. Nuclear Throne - the coffeebreakest roguelike that ever rogueliked. Only lower than Risk of Rain because it doesn't have co-op

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

DraconicImpulse posted:

Nuclear Throne does have co-op. Even has two co-op mutations specific for it. However, when a friend and I tried it we kept confusing our crosshairs, since they aren't distinguished.

Yeah, I should have specified it has some co-op, local, which isn't a plus for me. I usually play online stuff because it's 3 hours to my nearest gamerbuddy.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I'll get it out of the way: HSL is roguelike hitler

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I keep doing that too, or hitting 's' and yelling at the nearby goblin "DONT JUST STAND THERE COME AT ME BRO".

It's solidified my need for tilesets though: ASCII kills my eyes after 20 minutes

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You absolutely don't need to do all of the starting dungeons. Do about two of them and if you're playing well and cautiously (which you should be anyways) you're ready for the tier 2s, even on Nightmare.

You miss out on a few more chances to drop The Blood of Life from the level bosses (which is by no means guaranteed even if you do them all) but apart from that the loot is crap and the diminishing returns on XP hit really hard.

I end up beelining for the other t1 bosses anyway even with the diminishing returns, just because it's no risk low reward. It's that whole tedious-but-optimal vs fun routes game design thing where people will grind when they don't have to.

Unfortunately if that was the only needless padding it'd be good, but sandworm is tedious as gently caress, alt sandworm is pol pot, and the entire east is a giant sloggy victory lap. I've beat it twice on roguelike and it's still one of my favorite games because of everything else it does right, but a fork that got rid of the fat would be nothing but good news.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

History will remember this day as the day that the Roguelike War finally went hot; "procedural death labyrinth"s and accusatory "more like an roguelite"s tossed aside for lutefisk cannons and purple-enchanted longswords.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Every ToME class is loving awesome, except Anorithil, which is loving boring bullshit.

Too much popcorn and too much dungeon are definitely 100% my issues with the game though.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As I've said before I keep wanting to get into TOME but it seems to huge and intimidating. :ohdear: I know people say "play one of these simple classes" and stuff, but even those seemed hard to get to grips with.

Also if you see any critter even remotely threatening looking, right click that bitch and read his abilities. Getting put in a chokehold by a rare snake you bumpattacked is really embarrassing/awesome.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

There's like 3 classes that could be. I'm going to put money on Corrupter since they have turbo ebola

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Benly posted:

In Renowned Explorers, will it calculate my final renown based on total research/gold/status earned or do I have to hoard some for maximum renown?

It locks in the renown after every expedition. Spend that poo poo, my man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

victrix posted:

Interesting to me that Tome has been universally criticized for being too bloated everywhere I've read about it, for years, but nothing has changed.

The official forums must have a very different opinion.

Official forums are positive feedback loops for either immense whining or sucking devdick, and as time passes, one or the other will win out. I call it the Hairy Dev Dick Theorem

Jordan7hm posted:

So everyone up to now should have received their request. If for some reason you didn't, let me know over steam or here. I'll post the next list of roguelikes tomorrow and be on to hand out more keys later in the day.

If Kyz does send you some Cogmind keys I'd love one :xd:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/alarumklok/