Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like to try Caves of Qud but it says it's a closed beta? Who should I talk to about getting in on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dodge Charms posted:

I like Roguelikes in part because I like to tinker with them.

What Roguelikes are most amenable to modding?

(Being open source so I can hack the source code and compile it myself does count as "amenable to modding" if the source code is reasonably readable.)

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is an ambitious roguelike that let's anyone add to the source code, and is made by the people.

You can find the source code here.
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you guys recommend me a roguelike? I've tried dungeon crawl and it's really fun, but I'm looking for something with a bit more depth. I really enjoyed Cataclysm DDA and would love to play something that was a cross between the constant action packed stuff of DCSS, and the way Cataclysm's Progression seems to have awesome crazy stuff. Like in Cataclysm you start out with nothing but your clothes, then you pick up a rock, then you make a wooden sword, then you go into town, and like 8 days later you're driving a murdervan filled to the gills with crazy guns and what not.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Yeah, it was Joppa and Bethesda being ingame that made me think it was Maryland. Until Unormal disabused me of that notion a few pages back, of course.

e: Also, since virtually all of my time spent on Joppa Rd is traveling to/from an awesome restaurant for Peruvian chicken, I get incredibly hungry most times I play CoQ.

I'm probably a bad person, but I now can't stop giggling at "Hungry for CoQ"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was this roguelike RPG that was kind of obscure and I remember it had lots of hand drawn elemnts and I remember something in the preview images having a guy in a gas mask. It wasn't free, does anyone know the game I speak of?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

voltron lion force posted:

Neo scavenger? Its on steam if you wanna check it out.

That was it, thanks.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

esquilax posted:

It's mostly just goons being goons. The Cataclysm DDA team have made a ridiculous amount of improvements to the base game. They've also added in a ridiculous amount of low-quality content (imagine 20 different kinds of shirts) but you get the good with the bad.

Goons got really mad because of a small change a goon modder wanted in was left out because the guy running it was against goons.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish Hoplite was on the PC it's really super duper fun with the jumping around and the throwing of sticks and the "Health as money / xp" aspect. Is there anything on the PC like that?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is your guys opinion of http://keeperrl.com/ It kind of looks a lot like dwarf fortress, but significantly less buggy.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

He deletes the file dummy.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tollymain posted:

Suddenly I have the urge to make an RoRRL

Where do I start?

Download Unity -> Look up RL tutorials.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EvilMike posted:

Regardless of the debates over "what is a roguelike", permadeath is an essential element to the genre. Generally speaking, there must be a condition where you can lose the game and be forced to start over. In rogue legacy, when you die, not only do you keep everything you have, but it's actually the only time in the game where you can level up. The dungeon layout is randomized on each life, but your progress through it (boss kills) is retained.

That said, it's an ok platformer.

No permadeath in Tome4 you have lives. Or are you saying Super Mario is a roguelike?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was being ironic. Sorry.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's a good roguelike with a strong necromancy system / minion summoning system.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unormal posted:

If anyone sees crashes or weirdness, screenshots/logs would be awesome; you can e-mail to unormal at gmail.com: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

e: To shoot just navigate your aim cursor with the arrows and hit the button in the middle of the compass. (WASD/numpad/arrows and E/spacebar work the compass on keyboard)

Here's 5 more, cause hey, let's live a little:

4BGWP-QXB0H-6L2LE
95AI5-P0GQP-4H6XK <=====
FL22H-DMTGE-C455B
VCCDH-496E7-MIXMK
PM9M0-HVEXM-YYG03

I took the second one 95AI5-P0GQP-4H6XK

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is really really fun by the way, after playing with it for a little while.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah don't get windows 8 ever

E: because it's a windows 8 issue

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uPen posted:

LTS for 7 ends in January.

I know but that doesn't make window 8 a good os

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any good FPS roguelike released that has interesting skills though? Like it seems everyone I've seen, (Ziggurat, Heavy Bullets, Candy Skulls, Tower of Guns, and Eldritch,) All have that lovely progression of Melee -> Gun -> Better Gun -> Best Gun. It doesn't seem like there are many innovative ideas. No fancy movement stuff, no "magicky" type spells that could change how you play. Just Shoot Mans -> Win game. I feel like Ziggurat and games like it are doomed to fail, because instead of innovating they're just trying to re-tread over the same tired ground.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

FPS aren't roguelikes.

:jerkbag:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah, I too constantly worry about the right labels for things instead of discussing games that share similar mechanics to other games that I like

Yeah, this is pretty much my point. If the game isn't a roguelike its close enough that people would still enjoy it. Arguing about what is and isnt a roguelike is pointless and causes a huge derail that is retarded every single time. It's just kind of a lazy comment at this point.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait what are you guys talking about? What is Oblige, DoomRL, and the "Arsenal pack" I'm confused. Wasn't doom some lovely xbox game?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just googled the original doom and it looks like poo poo. Oh look at this innovative level design of "Maze" and "Dudes running at you" watch out, one might be a giant bullet sponge! I guess that was passable in 1998, but in 2014 we play real games.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U9tzDGOdTA

I just got it from the title.

System Shock 2 is kind of lame as well

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i feel like your sicknasty 3 sentence takedown of one of the more influential games in videogame history that you hadn't even heard of a couple hours ago won't hold much weight

I get it re-defined the genre, but as a game on it's own it's kind of terrible, I didn't know I had to give a thesis statement to spout an opinion.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aren't you dismissing those games out of hand as poo poo even though they're a clone of Doom? I think it's just the fact that poo poo begets poo poo.

e: There's a reason there is a new Call of Duty coming out, but not a new Doom.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look at these idiots living in the past, lmao.

E; Doom, System Shock 2, and Rogue are all antiquated games that inspired greatness, because people played them and realize, "Yeah I definitely can do better."

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 18, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There isn't going to be a doom 4, for the same reason there won't be a Rogue 2, a System Shock 3, a Warcraft 4, or a new Baldur's Gat. The series is dead, and no-one wants to build on such a shoddy foundation. Hell, this is why the best roguelike is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and the only good Pokemon game is the 3D one that added hats.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cerepol posted:

Alright, I think this proves the whole thing is a charade. Nice try buddy but this post went to deep.
Where did it go wrong?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i think he's trying to say that he was actually eating the dog turd to get a rise out of people when it was noticed that he was, in fact, eating a dog turd
Doom is kind of cool, and I played it when I was really young.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sproggiwood is really fun.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm always worried about buying our trying to get into new yourselves because it's almost always obtuse and difficult to get started. Same with certain games. Like I'll never get into Adom and will prefer Tome over dungeon crawl.

Is dungeon of the endless good for A casual like me?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fat Samurai posted:

I have absolutely nothing to do this coming weekend, and I figured it would be a good time to try TOME. What's the easiest class to start with that isn't a run-of-the-mill warrior? Monsters are gooey and I don't want to facehug them constantly.

Go into the workshop or look at the.mod site all classes.are locked at the beginning. I would try time mage, those are good and fun

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In Dungeon of the Endless I'm doing pretty well kiting enemies into the powered rooms to deal with my turrets and stuff, but the moment I pick up the crystal, every door in the dungeon pops open, and I get bum rushed. I'm assuming enemies will spawn infinitely, and that there is nothing I can do to better survive. What are your guys experience? How to make it past that point?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah that makes sense. I'm not exploring enough I think.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unormal posted:

Caves of Qud registrations made like $600! Not bad for 7 years work :D

Uh ill give you money for qud. Link me

E; and sproggiwood for my gf when it releases

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

esquilax posted:

Further mechanical customization of your character, in the same way that Dwarves might have higher CON or someone from a tribe on the coast of Finland is better at fishing and swimming than someone from inland Finland (who are stronger and stupider).

Well, yeah that's why Redguards have stealth and +5 to chaos dunks. They're just better at it.

That and getting shot by police.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Inuits and Midwesterners are too different species apparently?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Potsticker posted:

Does it read like an argument? I thought it had turned into a nice discussion despite some posters' fears. :(

And wasn't there some roguelike like that discussed a ways back that went super overboard with things like high heels and if a male character wore them they got creepy weird transexual abilities?

Yes

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As someone who never speaks to women, and has sex with his anime pillow w/ fleshlight insert, I think

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Potsticker posted:

Used "women" to refer to females. D+, see me after class.

https://derpicdn.net/img/2013/1/27/225816/medium.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TOOT BOOT posted:

KeeperRL is pretty good from what I've heard. The version you can download is only ASCII but there is a commercial version with tiles in the works.

The tiles release is on their site and they're trying to get it greenlit.