Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm really loving Rogue Legacy 2. As a huge fan of rogue lites and metroidvanias, I should have loved the original. Unfortunately that game felt so floaty and miserable to play that I really hated it. RL2 fixes that with gusto.

It does feel like RL2 is more of a metroidvania than a rogue lite. Like the meta progression and different classes are taking the place of levelling up and getting new equipment in Order of Eclessia or whatever. It rules because those games suffer from not giving you much incentive to experiment with different setups. Find the most powerful stuff and stick with it. In this I'm approaching runs in radically different ways depending on my class and relics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Forgive my ignorance but are there games that do something special if it's Friday the thirteenth?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

correct. each class gains levels independently of one another with associated stat boosts, but the vast majority of stats are determined by the castle and apply universally

If I'm understanding what you mean correctly, this isn't quite correct. It's true that every class has an independent mastery level that boosts a specific thing, but all characters get the benefit of all earned mastery levels. Get a couple mastery levels in Valkyrie and all your characters enjoy the increase to equipment load.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

And every mastery level boosts max rune weight too. It's a nice design choice to encourage using a wide array of classes.

The bard feels like it's too skill demanding for me to ever get into, but I'm glad it's in the game. Very cool concept and seems very powerful if you can keep track of a dozen things all at once.

Maybe it gets easier to play it you have a bunch of extra double jumps and dashes.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

You really don't have to play it like that though. What I have been doing for my runs is I start in stage 3 or 4, then loop back to 1 or 2 to restock on health if needed before diving into stage five.

I just beat the stage five estuary, though, so I guess I'll finish with stage six instead going forward.

Depending on my class and traits and mood, I might just jump straight to stage six. The game really is pretty flexible. If you find the way you're playing is boring, try playing in a non-boring way. Optimal and safe is not needed to win.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

An interesting note is that this advice is more true for default play and less true of you start using artifacts. If you have command, you get to choose your items. Efficiency still matters, but item synergy becomes so much more potent that it really becomes the main course.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think your idea to have all the rewards in one room is atrocious. It's pretty clear you're better at the game and more incentivized by the benefits of that kind of back clearing than the average player. Most players do some mix of back clearing and pushing ahead, engaging with it as a dynamic choice rather than obsessively exploring to maximum power. Basically the incentive structure of the games mechanics as is are not that bad.

Your idea would change the incentive structure in a big way. Every character starts out the run as strong as they are going to get. There would be no measuring of risk vs reward when going through the castle, or when deciding whether or not to take a relic. The very design of the fruit rooms make it clear that this kind of optimizing and choice making is what the devs are going for. Heal up or take damage and become stronger. Short vs long term.

Also not exploring some of the castle every time might negatively impact the pace at which you get runes and equipment.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The problem with all the theorycrafting about how game design should seek to avoid incentivizing boring but powerful strategies is that it's irrelevant here. Dongz is not a normal player. The vast majority of players do not find completed zones 100 percent trivial to clear as soon as they best the boss. The vast majority of players do not find the prospect of more max hp or better relic combos an irresistible siren song. The incentive issue here is not actually impacting most players afaict

So sorry the push and pull of short term vs long term incentives doesn't really work for you, but it's not actually a problem for the game, and your suggestions so major damage to how the game balances those incentives. A balance that from what I have observed, works well for people.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

But, again, the design objective seems to be to force risk/reward decisions. Putting all the power ups at the start blows that up.

You are apparently so good that the risk proposition of clearing out stage four or five after you've already beaten the boss on a previous run. Yeah, I get how that would make it feel like a waste of time.

That's not the average or target user experience though. Your idea sucks because it would make the game less tedious for you but would remove engaging and meaningful decisions from the majority of players.

Edit: irrelevant to this particular players particular complaint. Not irrelevant to rogue likes or just games generally.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

tbh I don't really give a poo poo if other players are compelled to ruin their own fun doing stupid poo poo, but yes part of the job of a game designer is trying to make the most fun way to play the most optimal way to play and vice versa.

There's going to be some subjectivity about what is "most fun" but you should be incentivizing having fun somehow as opposed to rewarding the player for doing something nobody actually enjoys doing. If you don't, most players are good enough at managing their tolerance for tedium to cope with it anyhow, but it will still hold the game back a bit compared to games that make it really rewarding to just absolutely cut loose and pursue every edge.

The fun that RL2 is trying to incentivize is making tough choices. When I get to a pair of relics, which one do I take? Or do I take neither because I think I will find better later? At a fruit tree when I'm at half life, do I heal up a bunch or go to almost no ho with the promise of more max hp later if I can fight well and find some wall chicken? What order do I do areas in? Start easy to power up, or start hard so I have somewhere to fall back and heal if I get rekt?

So yeah, you should try to avoid incentivizing boring strats. But you can't just blow up all sites of decision making to do it. That's eliminating gameplay that I am sure the designers did put thought into.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The issue is that the actual dynamics of RL2 are being ignored to make it seem like a simple case of boring gameplay being incentivized and that's not true. RL2 clearly cares about incentives and is thoughtful about it in a pretty complicated way.

Dongz argument assumes that after you have beaten a boss, clearing that zone on future runs is 1) devoid of any fun, 2)trivial (meaning absolutely safe) and 3)extremely beneficial.

1 isn't true. Each area offers its own difficulty curve. First you die learning the ins and outs of enemies and rooms. Then you power up and get good enough to get through consistently. Eventually you get a lot better than the area and get the joy of crushing what was once challenging. Finally it gets trivial and passe.

2 is not true either. Eventually you get there, but it's not an instant thing. I'm on stage six, but four and five can still do significant damage to me if I get careless or unlucky. If I'm at half health and find a fruit in area five, it's a meaningful decision to heal up or go really low on health with the hope of healing back up.

3 has been discussed to death but from what I have seen and heard, most players do not have their play patterns completely distorted by it.

Basically there is fun in the risk/reward decisions RL2 offers by gating certain run specific power ups behind exploring the castle. Dongz doesn't see it because they find the risk much less risky and the rewards far more rewarding than an average player.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That's a given.

I think I did see an heir that had a trait which was basically, "gay." No gameplay effects and heirs don't speak.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Cool that you don't believe me when I am talking based on my own gameplay experience as well as what I've seen other people do. Very neat.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

nrook posted:

Rogue Legacy 2 is unpopular with the kinds of people who hated Rogue Legacy 1. But those people didn’t buy it, and everyone who didn’t dislike the core premise of the game (“roguelike that is mostly metaprogression”) seems to like it.

I hated Rogue Legacy but love Rogue Legacy 2. It really succeeds as an action platformer.

My favorite class is chef. The spoon is so insanely good.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Beat prime Cain in Rogue Legacy 2 at about 90 hours. What a fun game. I'm not sure if I'll spend the time to finish up the remaining trophies, but maybe. It will depend on how crazy the scars drive me.

Something that really surprised me was how easy the last couple prime bosses were, relatively speaking. I only lost to prime Cain two or three times before winning, while regular Cain took me a ton of attempts before my first win. Meanwhile, prime namaah felt like a ridiculous escalation.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Finally got 100% on Rogue Legacy 2 at just short of 100 hours. I guess there's one scar that I didn't get a gold on, but meh. Regardless, good game. Extra double jumps are the best rune bar none, but I undervalued haste runes for too long.

Last trophy I got was KO'ing an estuary. Going back to a thread 0 castle after beating up all the NG+ bosses was pretty funny.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

We post about Rogue Legacy 2 here? I feel not good at the game and could use advice.

Anything I'm not doing that I should be? Is it just a get gud situation? Do I need to just farm the Keruglean Plateau or something?

I don't remember what exactly it's like at level 100, but I can try to give some general advice.

The game is very flexible. Build your castle, runes, and armor towards what you like to do. This said, crits eventually become the best source of damage and it's smart to get comfortable with various skill crits. That's more dominant in NG+ though. Basic hp and damage are worth a lot early.

Armor can only absorb 35 percent of each hit, so make sure you're not over investing.

How many tries it will take you to beat each boss might vary wildly. There were a couple that took me 20+ attempts. There were ones that I beat first try. Don't get discouraged if you hit a speed bump because more runs will make you more powerful and better at the game.

If something is really frustrating you, you can focus elsewhere. If you're fighting boss 4, you could check out area 5 as a change of pace. Plus the loot will be better. There were several times in NG+ runs where I farmed the sixth area.

The teleporters are very very useful.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

I beat the 4th boss. At level 100 they started giving me pity souls so I could upgrade some things. Can you over invest in armor just by upgrading that castle zone? I guess I've also put on a bunch of armor from the Warden gear.

I think it's possible. Definitely doable if you're wearing the armor focused armor set. Just something to keep an eye on.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yeah, my sense of rhythm is bad but I could still beat it with every story character except the last one. Learning patterns and playing strategically gets you far, but "Die if you miss an input" is just too unforgiving.

I have a friend who is so bad at rhythm that he could only play bard. Bard removes the rhythm element entirely, and it is cool there is an option to just make it a standard turn based dungeon crawler.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Have you heard about the new hotness? They call it "metaregression."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

yeah though IIRC the change happened really early on in development

I am not sure on the exact timeline, but it is a pretty good story. The publisher was putting pressure on them to make the game real time. The main programmer was able to do it easily by making turns automatically pass. Then he turned around to the publisher and said, OK we can make it real time but it's going to be really hard. You'll need to pony up a bunch of extra money.