Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kikkoman posted:

I dunno if this is the best place to say this but I looped Nuclear Throne for the first time after about 16 hours total/8 hours in the last 2 weeks, feeling pretty proud of myself.

Looping after only 16 hours is pretty impressive. Nice work! Now get dem cheevos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

(double post, don't care)

So how does one get started in roguelike coding? Do you have a programming day job and just move over to this for fun? Is there a sort of base toolkit that has the dungeon generation stuff that you can plug mechanics into? Is there a preferred language for roguelikes?

I have some ideas but really, really limited coding experience. If I wanted to do this where would I start?

You don't have to be a full-time programmer to learn to write programs. Just look at zircon for an example -- they're making Tangledeep and, up until relatively recently, had not done any serious programming at all. The #1 thing you need to make a game is the willingness to sit down and dedicate time to it (which is why I, a full-time programmer, have not completed any games in nearly a decade now).

There is a "roguelikes library", libtcod, which implements a number of algorithms useful to roguelikes like line-of-sight. However, it's by no means a necessity. The algorithms used by roguelikes are not mysterious or especially complicated to implement; you can learn about them with a minimal amount of Googling, and the rest is just programming. Speaking of, I wouldn't expect to make a game without learning to program in the process. Some game engines may reduce the amount of programming you need to do compared to others, but they won't eliminate the need to carefully organize your thoughts and translate them into a format the computer can understand, which is like 98% of programming anyway.

My general advice would be to check out Unity and GameMaker, which are probably the most popular game engines out there. There's a great "learn to program using Unity" course on Coursera which routinely goes on sale for $20; I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar resources for GameMaker. In any case, swing on by the making games megathread, which has a bunch of links in the OP and following posts.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

I would pay an unreasonable sum of money for an EVO roguelike with IVAN's sheer variety of body configurations, material types, and comical ways to die.

You could probably do this as a Caves of Qud mod. Replace mutations with growing different body parts and materials with "equipment" attached to those body parts.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nyaa posted:

Or a special class that get special 'limbs' equipment drops from monster.

Play as a character from Axe Cop, mutate every time something bleeds on you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Amuys posted:

That makes me ask the question: What Roguelikes does money well?
I like Crawl just for Gozag.

FTL does money well. It's also your experience points, effectively, in that you can spend money either on buying stuff or on upgrading your ship. But money is the only way to get new systems for your ship, and is by far the most reliable way to get new weapons or ship augments.

Most games that do money poorly tend to make money too easy to get, and/or make the stuff you can buy not really notable compared to the stuff you can find. I'm sympathetic to the latter issue because IMO just up and buying some awesome new thing isn't usually as interesting as winning it through battle or cunning. It works in FTL because the entire game is a matter of scraping by on hope and a prayer, so any edge you can find is welcome, no matter how you come by it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The impression I've gotten from doing, uh, zero research whatsoever is that My Summer Car is to driving games what Receiver is to first-person shooters.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My usual mobile roguelike recommendations are Sproggiwood, MicRogue, and Hoplite.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I don't think I've seen anyone buy into the Cogmind "early access" and then post here saying "I wish I hadn't bought that". Its reception generally seems to be very positive.

I haven't played it myself though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

zirconmusic posted:

He's an A+ guy and will get the specialest of thanks in my game.

So what you're saying is, That One Monster that everyone hates will be named madjack?

Hm...I wonder if you could make a roguelike entirely out of references to other roguelikes?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
So what's the most iconic monster from every roguelike? Off the top of my head, probably something like:

NetHack: soldier ant
Angband: zephyr hound or Kavlax the Many-Headed
Sproggiwood: twinning lamprey
Caves of Qud: dawnglider
Dungeonmans: I dunno, the bandit illusionmansers?
ToME: probably some kind of oozemancer-enhanced unique
Spelunky: yeti or shopkeeper
FTL: O2-disabling slugmen
Rogue Legacy: slime that spits out earth sorcerers

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I hope all you roguelike devs are taking note of this conversation, by the way. I expect to see great things in your next releases. :unsmigghh:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

hito posted:

Crawl's item might be Acquirement scrolls in terms of sheer infamy.

Nuclear Throne's signature location is the Scrapyard for sure ("Nuclear Throne is rated T, unless you can beat Scrapyard in which case rating pending"). Spoiled for choice on weapon, but think I'd have to go with the Triple Machinegun. You sort of know exactly what Nuclear Throne is getting up to with it.

Not the Super Plasma Cannon or the Double Minigun? :saddowns:

Play Nuclear Throne as YV, get the extra 20% fire speed ultra mutation, equip a double mini, watch all your ammo disappear in under a second.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Reloading in specific I don't mind; it's an extra thing to track during a fight, which can catch you off-guard if you aren't expecting it. It factors into weapon balance and fight tempo, encourages accuracy, and its relevance can be tweaked by adjusting weapon rates of fire and clip sizes. Plenty of knobs to adjust there to make sure that it's contributing to making the game more fun rather than just being there for the sake of "realism".

Limiting weapon capacity (and its corollary, having all weapons be generalists because you can only ever have 2 at a time) is a problem though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Sounds like you should play Transcendence instead then!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
For more vaguely-remembered games you played 20+ years ago, check out the "Help us remember the name of a game" thread.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm sure there are people out there that actually enjoy sorting through massive piles of dross in the hopes that they'll find a sword that's 1% better than their current one. Indeed such players might be one of the major target demographics for the game, since Diablo-style loot systems bear more than a passing resemblance to gambling.

Also, it's worth bearing in mind how satisfying it is to kill something and have it explode in a shower of bling, even if that bling is useless.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I was going to say I didn't know what Nurphe Bats do, but then I thought about the name a bit.

That's so dumb. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zeerust posted:

is LUA a hard coding language to learn for someone who hasn't really coded in the past? I'm probably going to have a ton of free time coming up soon and I'm considering putting some time into learning some, for messing around with TOME. I seem to recall someone in this / the old TOME thread saying it's a useful way to learn, since you can kind of see how everything works by looking at the existing code?

Lua's kind of a weird language, but it's not awful, and definitely being able to tweak things and then see those things changed in-game is great for motivation and for understanding how stuff works.

Are you thinking about ToME 2 or the TOME that's on Steam? Definitely don't look at ToME 2's code, it's a horrible Frankenstein-shoggoth thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Nethack is the roguelike version of your racist grandpa whose jokes you tolerate because it was a different time back then, and he's really pretty alright most of the time, you just wish he'd stop talking so much about "the coloreds".

Except in NetHack's case they'd probably be ranting about how back in their day they didn't have color.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

I like my metaphor more, because Nethack really does generate some good stories, it's just run through the filter of "oh, right, this story happened back when these kinds of things were okay to do/say". See: Cockatrice shenanigans.

Now I'm trying to think of a game with modern design sensibilities that could allow for the types of shenanigans that NetHack does. I think you'd have to set it up as a series of micro-scenarios, each of which is crafted to exploit the edge cases of the system. So you'd have a level where the player's only weapon is a cockatrice corpse, and the level would be set up to try to trick them into stoning themselves with it.

I don't think such a thing would necessarily work well as a roguelike, but it could be a fun game. You could name it The Dev Team Thought of Everything.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
PosChengband (goddamn these variant names get ridiculous) is descended from Chengband which I think is descended from Hengband which came from ZAngband which came from Angband. And PosChengband is still actively developed. I don't know how anime it is though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Tooting my own horn, but for those that can't be arsed to play it, I did LPs of Angband and ToME 2. The ToME 2 run is pretty twinkish and more focused on seeing the sights (including a visit to the Void, the bonus postgame dungeon), while the Angband LPs are just straight-up dungeon diving.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

YOU TALKIN poo poo ABOUT DREAM QUEST???

A.k.a. the worst purchase this thread has ever convinced me to make? Yes. :colbert:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

After playing it for an hour or two, I can confirm that the bullet patterns are ...unique. So far my strategy has been "hold down the run button and plink away when I can". I haven't beaten any floor 1 yet but I'm starting to see some strategies on which upgrades to go for.

Prioritize damage, fire rate, and range, roughly in that order. Subweapons that clear bullets are very useful, most notably the one that gives you a shield on your forward arc. That in mind, getting more energy for your subweapon is a good idea. If you can get a second shield layer, that's also really good. The most common way is the "lose all shields for the rest of the level, but at the start of the next level you get +1 shield layer". Note that you can't have more than 2 shield layers.

It's worth killing the consumables shopkeeper. Killing any shopkeeper turns all of their goods in that shop into "conduct" items, basically (at the cost of destroying that shop type on future levels, but the consumables shop sucks anyway). Most of the conduct items are mixed-blessings, but there's one that lets you walk freely over one-way floor tiles and the tiles that block movement but not shots. That one is amazing and can completely break several rooms that are otherwise an almighty pain in the rear end.

Finally, they turn the screen into a complete mess of sprites, but orbitals can greatly increase your damage potential. I wouldn't get the one that slows down nearby bullets, though, as it can render boss bullet patterns unpredictable and/or impossible to avoid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

I picked up 20xx and while it's still in early access it's been playing pretty well so far. It's basically procedural Mega Man with one life and a sadistic difficulty level. (Spikes and pits don't kill you instantly, though.)

That's been on my radar for awhile, but I've seen so many bad Mega Man fangames that I've been leery of pulling the trigger. How are the powerups/weapons?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is good to know. i didn't even know that i had a shield, or that shopkeepers exist. "git more damage" was pretty easy to figure out on my own though :pseudo:

The Redshift (a.k.a. Superhot) mech doesn't start with any shields, and the flamethrower mech starts with 2 shields already. Said mech would be hilariously overpowered if the flamethrower weren't buggy, causing its projectiles to be frequently cancelled out whenever you're fighting in confined spaces.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Ah, so no need to carry 30 different types of identify scrolls and mash search on every square of the dungeon or whatever any longer. I can dig it.

Basically, yeah. The devs have been trying to remove "automatic" choices from the game, which includes spamming trap detection spells all the time, and spamming identification on every item you find.

You wouldn't believe how much moaning there was about the removal of the Identify spell, even though rune-based ID more than picks up the slack. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

the only things that do that make giant, unmistakable guide lasers accompanied by high-pitched whines before firing as it is

Or else their shots are so slow that it's no big deal.

Binding of Isaac Rebirth added bigger rooms and thus much greater potential for enemies to hit you from offscreen. It doesn't happen much, granted, but it's a pain in the rear end when it does, especially with the hitscan (laser) attacks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Gungeon is just too slow

I don't know it is about the twinstick/rogue genre, but I have yet to find one that's really nailed it for me.

I want to like the genre. I really do. But I keep buying them, and I keep dropping them.

Nuclear Throne is probably the best twinstick roguelite out there, unless you count Isaac as a twinstick (even then I personally prefer Throne to Isaac). Which I guess Isaac kind of is, but between only having four angles of attack, the relatively slow pace of combat, and the momentum-based projectile system, it really doesn't feel like one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm still getting the occasional email about Chasm. So far as I know it's still in development, it's just moving slooooooowly.

Which isn't to say that if I'd known a priori that it was going to take so long, I would've invested in it. Maybe I would still have, I don't know. It's been, what, four years?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Two games of Deathstate down. First run I died to the level timer on the first level. Second run I beat the skull and got the first ending (and 18 unlocks). It gets harder, right? :v:

I can tell this is one of those games I'm going to have to play only in short bursts, though. The super-high-contrast / psychedelic scheme can be hard on my eyes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

So I've gotten a few human fighters murdered in Angband so far. What do character levels actually do besides give you more hp?

Just to provide an alternate opinion to Jazerus's, I'd suggest trying a half-troll fighter. Half-trolls are one of the best races in the game, between their massive STR/CON bonuses, big hit die, and regeneration (which applies to both HP and SP, if you decide to play a casting class; half-trolls make surprisingly viable spellcasters). Max your STR/DEX at birth, then get a lightweight weapon like a dagger or whip, and your warrior should have 3 blows per full attack action, each of which gets your full STR bonus. Hit the stores, get some Phase Door, Cure Light Wounds, and Heroism, and then dive.

Levels give you HP, minor improvements to your accuracy in combat/saving throw/other "skills", and for casters more SP and access to new spells. Also warriors get immunity to fear at level 30, and rangers get faster at shooting bows at IIRC levels 25 and 50.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Is Hoplite on iPhone?

It's on iOS, yeah. So's MicRogue.

I've been enjoying 20XX, but just now I got to a late-game (second-to-last-level) factory level and the platforming got seriously bitchy. We're talking long segments where the only places to stand are short conveyor belts that terminate in flames, densely-placed moving platforms that pass through damage fields and that you can't jump through from below, inconveniently-placed cannons firing periodic fireballs, the works.

I hope that's just the devs ratcheting up the difficulty while they're in development, as opposed to being representative of the target difficulty for the release game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Speaking of, the starchild character doesn't impress me. No organs means your only powerups are weapons/tomes, and you can only have one of each at a time. I don't relish the thought of slowly cherrytapping the bosses to death.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That should be fixed.

By someone who isn't me. :v:

It's unfixable. Just make a new thread.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

megane posted:

There's no dead giveaway, but they tend to spawn in positions adjacent to 3 or 4 other rooms, and I don't think I've ever seen one that has only one adjacency. Also, like all rooms, they always have a door to each adjacent room, which means they can't be next to a room which has a thick wall on the relevant side (and thus can't have a door). So you can narrow it down to a few likely spots, and then check using bombs.

This sounds identical to how Binding of Isaac works.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

stoicheian posted:

Hey friends, what is the best ipod compatible roguelike for boring night shifts?

Sproggiwood, MicRogue, Hoplite.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Just an Ancient Red? C'mon, you can do better than that!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I've played a lot of Nethack and a bit of Sil (and am bad at both), what newer and exciting roguelikes should I try at this point?

There's like a half-dozen "what roguelike should I play" posts in the last N pages, N<10. Just read the backscroll a bit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
One good tip in Necrodancer is that you can pass a turn without losing your combo by digging into an adjacent wall, as long as your shovel is good enough to "hurt" the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

It feels like as I've unlocked more items, I've gotten a lot less healing items.

It wouldn't surprise me if that were true, TBH. You can unlock more healing items (IIRC only the apple and extra-life potion are unlocked from the start, and there's also cheese, meat, and the healing spell), but ultimately the game wants you to not make mistakes to begin with.

If there's one complaint I have about Necrodancer, it's that you have to win with Aria to complete the main storyline, and doing so is basically similar to getting an AAA rank in DDR, for multiple songs, back-to-back. Fortunately, Melody and (especially) Cadence are much more accessible characters, and the game's fun without "completely" beating it. I just feel like Aria's challenge level would have been better-reserved for an optional character.