Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

So one of the bundles this week is for a bunch of Roguelikes.

http://groupees.com/shinyloot3?source=indiegamesbundle

I don't really have experience with any of them, though, does anyone here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Now I want to try it out before it's released, but probably won't be around at the right time to get a code.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Turtlicious posted:

I just googled the original doom and it looks like poo poo. Oh look at this innovative level design of "Maze" and "Dudes running at you" watch out, one might be a giant bullet sponge! I guess that was passable in 1998, but in 2014 we play real games.

Even if you're being ironic, this is still an awful post.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

How is Desktop Dungeons? It's on sale on GOG for today.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

If any of you bought a Groupees bundle in the last while, they currently have a complimentary bundle with Sanctuary RPG, an ASCII Roguelike.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Unormal posted:

M6Y8D-YHEI6-X3BI9

Yay, I managed to get this one. I'll make sure to give it a runthrough tomorrow, tell you what I think.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

I booted up Eldritch for the first time today and got killed by the first Shoggoth. Any general tips for it?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SnowblindFatal posted:

Is it still gonna use Flash and lag on a 3,4 GHz quad core processor?

My computer is a toaster, but I'm willing to bet if I can get Rebirth running it will still play smoother than the first game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

I've beaten One Way Heroics on normal (when I got lucky and one of the worlds gave me Dosey), d-does that mean anything?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

"Man I haven't played FTL in a while, why is tha - oh yeah, now I remember."

I consider myself fairly good at games, but how good you do seems even more up in the air than it usually is with roguelikes in this game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

One Way Heroics marks special monsters with a little mark above their heads, and a title, like 'Infamous Dragon Knight', and they can often mess you up pretty bad.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Is Shattered Planet any good for the price it's at this week?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

I picked Sproggiwood back up after a little while, and is there any way to kill the black slimes in Ghostfen permanently? Just seems like they divide infinitely.

Oh I got it. That's sneaky as hell.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at Apr 8, 2015 around 17:46

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Is the achievement for only killing the boss of a dungeon bugged? I've killed Big Ick twice without even attacking anything but him and it didn't give it to me.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

They do but somebody on the Steam forum said they beat a boss without mobs for it and it didn't unlock for them either.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

JRPGs hate him!!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Any beginner's tips for a Risk of Rain player?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Does anyone here play Our Darker Purpose? Is there a strategy for the Disciplined King other than hoping the game doesn't roll him?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

If I get to him with a good damage item I'm probably just going to spam that. With how he moves and game's hitboxes he's the hardest thing to hit I've encountered in the game, with I (I think) no less health to compensate. I'd take Mask of Infamy any day.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Is there any way to just use keyboard controls in Dungeonmans? The mouse stuff is super unresponsive at the creation screens and it keeps making me select things I didn't want.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

madjackmcmad posted:

That sucks. I'm sorry! Is the mouse being slow and janky or something?

Not really slow, just when I try to select stuff with the keys the cursor can interfere if its over an option. The creation screens are a bit slow but that's probably just my computer - I wouldn't mind a resolution option, though. Aside from that the game's fun as hell.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Haven't seen anyone talk about Our Darker Purpose, but I'd say it's worth three bucks if you're a bit tired of Isaac and want something a little different. Be warned though, it being an Isaac clone doesn't mean you can reach nearly the same level of power you do there, it's always pretty hard and it isn't really possible to break the game. I like it, but you need to have a high toleration for dickishness.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Cargo Commander kinda sucks. The general idea is good, but what the game doesn't tell you is that if you spend too long outside in space and not in a container, it will spawn heat-seeking, tiny aliens that will chew your rear end up in seconds. Think the Spelunky Ghost except way, way faster. And the gravity thing the game has going on means this can happen very easily. There's better Roguelike platformers out there.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ToxicFrog posted:

Please recommend me some! The only ones I've played are 99 Levels to Hell and Rogue Legacy, and neither really held my interest. Rogue Legacy had the best go at it, with the whole building-up-your-keep-between-characters aspect, but I reached a point where I could reliably beat bosses 1 and 2 but couldn't even get to boss 3 except through sheer dumb luck and eventually stopped playing.

E: and Spelunky, but I've made it to DL08 in Spelunky all of once out of many, many, many runs.

Basically I guess I'm looking for a platformer-roguelike that has some sort of character progression beyond "you can carry an item" but doesn't have the steep difficulty cliff of Rogue Legacy.

It's only technically a Roguelike but Super House of Dead Ninjas is really fun. That, Rogue Legacy and Spelunky were what I was thinking of, so if you've played those two I dunno much else.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

The first one was PC and I took it. That's another game of yours I'll have to buy for someone at some point.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

I got a quest to take care of some rats eating crops in the first town, but I can't find the guy I need to talk to. He's supposed to be near the farms and I've been to all three and not run into him.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

In CoQ? He's in the big building at the north end of the starting town.

That's where I got the quest from but the only guy there is the Elder, who tells me to go find the guy. Leaving the area just brings me to empty fields, so I assume this is all there is to the town.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

PantsBandit posted:

edit: I will say the expansion balances the vault a little. Basically any weapon or armor you put in will lose its buffs when you place it in the vault, but will be completely repaired. So you can't just run the same +8 greatsword over and over unless you want to rebuff it in every new campaign. Good change imo, even if it doesn't go quite far enough.

So as long as you're cool with say, that Legendary Fire Sword no longer setting poo poo on fire it makes the unique weapons things you can actually use instead of just sitting on? Good stuff.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Emong posted:

I haven't gotten to play it much, but I'm enjoying One Way Heroics Plus so far. Not sure how you unlock the new classes just yet, though. I'm guessing it's related to the castle renovation thing somehow.

Also: Don't loving tell me what to do, Iris

At least she's not talking about crystals.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

I picked up Crowntakers while it was on GMG a little ago, and I'm kinda digging it so far. It's nothing spectacular, but does its own thing pretty competently.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm in a Mad Max-y/survival/post-apocalyptic mood. I'm looking at CoQ, NEO Scavenger and Cataclysm, but the only thing I know about them is the theme and that the thread seems to be in love with CoQ.

What are the main differences between the three games? Anything else I'm overlooking?

Convoy seems pretty Mad Max-y if survival isn't a requirement.

Also I keep forgetting to ask, when I left the village in CoQ I got lost, wandered around and then died. I figure I just didn't follow his directions to the cave, but is it possible to get unlost?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

It bugs me that I'll probably have to refill those images in the ending collage thing, despite the save import.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

booksnake posted:

Having already imported my save, you won't.

That's wonderful, thanks for letting me know.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Is it just me or does One Way Heroics Plus run a lot worse than the original?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

It's only fifty percent off this sale but I'm having fun with Deathstate. It's clearly inspired by Isaac but doesn't seem to fall into a lot of the problems it does. Every level is basically a giant arena filled with enemies that you automatically fire at, so it's all about dodging and positioning.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"Players must never win my game" has a fine established tradition in roguelike development; it was the attitude of the original Moria developer. The "Evil Iggy" monster in that game was created to enshrine a character who won the game immediately after the dev declared it unwinnable.

It's still a dumb philosophy though.

Didn't the FTL guys say that players were only 'supposed' to win something like thirty percent of the time?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

I killed Lil' Hunter on my third try!

Got killed by his death explosions.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

I think I quit Nuclear Throne. The game is fun but dying every time to Lil' Hunter isn't.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

If I actually had time to make room to fight him, I wouldn't mind practicing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In general the problem with Lil' Hunter seems to be that it's very easy to die to him and when you do you have to retread most of the game to get back to where you were.

And most of the time you don't even really die to him, just the game not giving you what the average player needs to fight him. Over the past couple hours I've gotten to him a bunch of times, and I've never felt like he actually killed me on his own.

«2 »