Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Sorry to steer the conversation away, but I just downloaded ADOM to give it a go and I can't get the tutorial to start, neither in the graphics version, nor the console version. In the graphics I click Start Tutorial and it takes me back to the main menu, in the console, the 's' key just does nothing. Anyone know anything about this?

e: NVM, I'm a dumb, after not finding anything in google, i discovered their bug forum, it's a known issue. Sorry...

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

The LP Megathread has a playthrough of the tutorial if you wanted to know what was inside of it (well, most of it, it misses the searching/quick move bits due to dying). It also has a winning ultra-ending playthrough if you want to read and learn from it until you don't want to be spoiled anymore.

Thanks, looks quite detailed.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Can anyone point me to some beginner resource for Crawl? I've never won a roguelike and don't mind a bit of hand holding just to get the ball rolling. I read the walkthrough, but honestly I can't even get past dungeon level 3...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ZeeToo posted:

There's a few things to help you here! Beyond the links to the LearnDB and the CrawlWiki, it's the dedicated Crawl thread. You can usually get people spectating and offering live advice if you play online and post there to request help, too.

If you're having trouble even managing the very early game, probably try playing a Troll Berserker, and only skill unarmed combat. You'll mulch things fairly effectively, and if you start to think you might be in trouble, press a-a to go berserk and not die.

Cheers mate, I didn't think to look for a dedicated Crawl thread, I'm a dolt...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

If I really like crawl, which one should I get, ADOM or caves of cud?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Thanks. I tried Sil but it was hard to get into, I just kept dying and dying without feeling I'm getting better, but I think I'll give it another go. If ADOM and CoQ are similar, I'll prob go CoQ, it's goon made and a different setting than the rest of them.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

madjackmcmad posted:

Steam Thanksgiving Sale is happening, I know everyone in here owns 10 copies of Dungeonmans but if your bitch rear end only has like 7 or 8, you can fill the gap for an unprecedented 50% off. That's literally taking food out of my unborn (and unconceived) children's un-mouths, you vultures.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120

link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120

Please to mac for money.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

madjackmcmad posted:

It's Thanksgiving, so I'll be streaming some Elona on and off all weekend. Playing it every year is the tradition, streaming is new.

https://www.twitch.tv/playdungeonmans

Been thinking about your game, any chance it will run under wine on the mac? Have you heard from anyone doing it?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

korora posted:

I've done it. Look at my post history for details. Works great.

e: actually I might have posted about it in the Dungeonmans thread, not this one.

e2: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558729&perpage=40&pagenumber=40#post439769191

Sold! Also bought Sanctuary RPG while at it.

e: For those of you who are thinking of doing this too, I had to first install msxml3 and dotnet40 via winetricks BEFORE installing the game. I did this the second time. First time I installed the game and it never loaded and winetricks failed installing dotnet40 so I had to start again. Otherwise, it seems to work fine.

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 28, 2015

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

drat you all. I've just gone in the space of one week from basically only ever playing crawl to having ten RLs installed and not really knowing which one to play next. I think I'll play some more crawl :)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah the limited downloads is definitely something. It's so ridiculous I'm honestly astonished it's actually a thing that still exists in 2015. Why, yes, I want to pay you more so I can actually download a game I bought beyond the standard 10 days.

Hey, the publisher needs to make some money you know, I mean S3 storage is ridiculously expensive, like 3c per GB per month crazy.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

It's a very Sproggi yuletide in these parts, apparently -- I was honouring the Horned One on my laptop, and my wife (who's had Sproggi since I went on a Sproggi/Necrodancer gifting spree earlier this year) is now considering playing that next (it's a tossup between that and Icewind Dale). Then this morning my girlfriend was asking for game recommendations for her tablet and I suggested Sproggiwood on the grounds that it's basically the only tablet game I know, and now she's blown through Ickylolo and is happily getting murdered.

Your wife AND your girlfriend? Are you really a goon?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

victrix posted:

The levels are generally small enough that you can zip through them pretty quick, and <> quick travel to the up/down stairs, so its fast to go through previously cleared turf.

Yeah I've seen this response a few times, but I agree with the original, lack of auto explore is annoying, especially with the nooks and crannies in some of the levels.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I'd go for crawl myself, it's got lots of information about it, a really great bunch of goons on the SA thread, and you can focus on easy to play but not easy to win builds like a Minotaur berserker.
It also has clear milestones to help gauge progress.
Finally it's online play mode allows people to spectate and give advice, and to join in tournaments.
In short, crawl is awesome and I'm a fanboy.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Well, it's better than that turd Madjackmcmad was promoting but that's about as much praise as I'll give it.

I quite enjoyed it. It's great for putting in a few quick lunchtime sessions. Not the best game in the world for sure, but way better than the above implies. Comparing it in any way to some piece of poo poo joke game is hardly fair.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Jackard posted:

Just beat Brogue for the first time ever. Took me three sittings, I got pretty desperate here and there.

By the endgame I had:
  • +1 Waraxe
  • +1 Charm of Protection
  • +6 Ring of Wisdom
  • +3 Ring of Stealth
  • Staff of Discord 5
  • Staff of Tunneling 3
  • Staff of Blinking 3
  • Staff of Firebolt 3
  • Staff of Obstruction 3
  • Staff of Obstruction 2
  • Wand of Empowerment 0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7QQ6Sdap3aGUDhmNk9VdndKeWM/view?usp=sharing

Three? I've tried about twenty times and I can't get past l4-5ish...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Vaguely related: My personal Roguelike bogart is auto-explore, and it's a feature I refuse to ever include in Godsrune for one very simple reason:

If your players want to skip through a part of playing your game, it means your game is boring. Autoexplore isn't a feature, it's a lazy patch for fundamental design issues.

That's a fine philosophical point, but how do you propose to provide randomly generated, content filled maps that are interesting to explore? Crawl has very big level maps (comparatively) which allows it to fill them with interesting (randomly chosen, but not generated) vaults. The exploration part is boring and automated but the action parts are anything but, and the size of the maps add to that. Dungeonmans has smaller maps by comparison, but no auto explore and I find it very tedious compared to Crawl, it is the main reason I gave up on playing it.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

madjackmcmad posted:

I shipped Dungeonmans with no auto explore, got some flak for it, but I stuck to my guns. What I did add, after some time, study, and patches, was auto travel to stairs up and down if you've discovered them already. That and a r-click to Move Here for mouse breathers made the game feel much more snappy for people who wanted to spend a lot of time on every nook and cranny in a floor. But what a good thing that is-- if players are exploring every nook and cranny of your dungeons, they must be fun!

That's not necessarily true, I explore every nook and cranny, because A. I'm obsessive, and B. I'm worried I might be missing something that is vital for later on (see A). Not having autoexplore in dungeonmans didn't make me stop exploring every nook and cranny, it made me stop playing dungeonmans.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This sounds like a great idea for any game, honestly. Periodically checkpoint the player by some significant accomplishment, and give them all the items and experience they missed en route to said checkpoint. Managed to sneak past all the monsters? Congratulations, you get credit for "killing" them anyway! Rocked through the dungeon and stomped the boss's face? Here's all the items you ignored, so you can personally verify that they're the total crap you suspected they were! And from a game design standpoint, such a system would mean that you'd have a much firmer idea of how strong characters are, since it ought to be determined simply from how many dungeons they've cleared (plus a fiddle factor from explored-but-uncleared dungeons).

Yeah, that does sound like a good idea. Madmacmcjack, please add this to dungeonmans so I can play your game, I paid a whole :10bux: for it, I have rights you know! :argh:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Awesome! posted:

its not his fault your brains make you do dumb things like this

It's not just his brain, it's mine too, and I'm sure many others.

If the optimal way of playing isn't fun, then you have to choose between fun and optimal. Now either you can convince me that the fun way is so close to optimal as to not matter (and I haven't played DMans enough to know that), or I'm going to feel like I'm missing something if I don't play optimally.

So, for example, when I die, I'm not sure what the lesson is. Should I have played the encounter better? Should I have avoided it? or should I have spent more time grinding stuff? That last possibility is what makes me and others strive towards the optimal play, to have control over at least one aspect of an otherwise hard and random game. Problem is it's boring and tedious, and then I just end up playing another game that has eliminated that, like Crawl.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Awesome! posted:

you have a weird definition of optimal

Perhaps, but more likely you're being intentionally obtuse...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Awesome! posted:

i dont have a problem with that statement in itself. i have a problem when it implies that the optimal way of playing is grinding

Well, how about I ask then, what is the optimal way of playing dmans?

When going into a certain dungeon, how much of the first level should I clear before going down to the next level? As little as I need to before the next stairs downwards?, every single last square or somewhere in the middle? You see, the first two are easy (though the second one is what bored and annoyed me out of the game), but if the answer is somewhere in the middle, then what mechanism or indication does the game provide the player? Bottom line, optimal, unless you're being deliberately obtuse, is pretty clear in this context. It is getting as much advantage as possible from a level before going on to the next one. And dmans provides no indication that optimal in this case isn't clearing out the whole level. Which is tedious given the short LOS, lack of autoexplore and convoluted level design.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Awesome! posted:

if you are getting bored clearing one single level in a dungeon just go play a different game man i dont even know why we are having this conversation

Yup, that's exactly what I said. Way to engage constructively!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

madjackmcmad posted:

Is wonky at best, as levels have respawns that will show up even after you've cleared out all the loots and opened every door. The dungeon is never supposed to be safe, though once you outclass a floor of enemies it's about as safe as it can be. You can fight monsters on a floor forever if you believe in yourself, and grind them out until your level up to the point where they all offer zero xp. That's pretty extreme, but it fits your definition of optimal.

What drives most players forward is a combined feeling that they are easily crushing the monsters on this floor, desire better loot, and feel ready to move on. A minority of players would balk at this, saying that these values are not quantifiable so therefore they are useless to calculating the most optimal gameplay.

Should you choose to pick the game up again,

1) Take advantage of auto-travel to explored stairs!
2) Trust your heart, beating with stremf, and see past your fears of leaving a few coppers or a handful of extra swords behind.

Thanks, I'll give this a go again, after I gorge myself with ToME. Let me ask you this, though. It's not a handful of coppers or swords I worry about, nor the XP from a few more monsters. In Crawl, if I don't explore a level fully, I might miss an artefact weapon, armour, ring, etc. and there aren't that many of them in a standard 3 rune game. Sometimes, a single weapon can make the game for you, as in, a single crazy +10 long sword you find as early as D7 can be the weapon you carry all the way to the end. I've only ascended a handful of times in Crawl and this has happened to me twice, once with a sword and once with armour. So, coming at it from this point of view, how is dmans different, if it is different?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I was going to mention Crawl but back when I played it was more of a lopsided U-shaped difficulty curve where the early game was bullshit that would frequently kill you with no recourse, the mid-game was a breeze, and then around dlvl:22 or so it starts getting more difficult and genuinely challenging until finally topping out with stuff that gets slightly unfair again -- like summon + smite combo Pan Lords and angel rooms in Ziggurats.

That was also like thirteen versions ago, though.

Also, no one is forcing you to play extended crawl. 3 rune crawl gets easier as the game progresses past the Lair branches.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Eh, you guys are putting down bionic dues like it's the worst game in the world. It's not great by any means, but you could easily kill 10 hours playing it, so if you get it for a few bucks on sale you haven't done too badly.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Sigmund Newman

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Haha Sprogiwood is to Qud as fresh lemonade is to a peaty scotch.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Could someone here who plays Brogue possibly post a little primer on how to get going? I find myself floundering rather aimlessly without knowing what to focus on. It seems to me like you need to understand what the dungeon is giving you and build your character accordingly rather than setting out to be a fighter or wizard, etc.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Can you play Cryptark keyboard only (or trackpad and keyboard)? It sounds intriguing but I use a macbook pro.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Thanks for the replies. I mostly play either on the bus or ad hoc at home with it on my lap so it's probably not a game for me at this stage (young child, not much time).

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So playing a troll king in the early age, the one with lots of animals and it's just whack a mole, I can't seem to get anywhere, every forest or swamp that I take just gets taken back later by some deer or wolves or ants or whatever. Am I missing something obvious?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

Has your mum turned up yet?

Yeah, she has. She's helping, but I'm basically whacking twice as many moles...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

I really, really like the unique flavour and playstyle of the different armies, and the High Cultist army absolutely nails theirs - at first they don't seem like a huge threat, just this weird swimming mage with a modest band of lovely underlings and a mildly annoying proficiency for taking out small numbers of elite troops. Then, slowly but surely, things start to get really strange. Troops change sides halfway through a battle and remain faithfully loyal to the lunatic in the fish mask. Villages and farms all along the coast have been going silent one by one, all contact suddenly lost, all tithes and trade halted. When a major port suddenly goes quiet, troops are sent to investigate. Of the handful that return, only one is coherent enough to speak. He rambles about enormous crabs and armies from the deep, burning-bright stars seen on sunny days and veteran soldiers turning on one another. There are more and more of the strange fish-cultists with every passing season. Most are easily dispatched, but they can cause a lot of havoc with their weird magics, and the grotesque half-human creatures they command are unsettling, to say the least. No one seen hide nor hair of the masked lunatic that began it all. A war party sallies forth to seek out the cult's stronghold, but is intercepted and destroyed by an army of babbling madmen, all clad in ragged uniforms from a half-dozen different kingdoms, driven forward by the same robed maniacs screaming in the same hideous tongues. Where do they keep coming from? And where is the one in the fish mask?

Then one day the masked lunatic resurfaces, coming ashore near an important iron mine. There are no reports of ships or swimming, no magical water-walking or amphibious mounts. Apparently, the cultist simply walked onto the shore, flanked by a panoply of aquatic life. The messenger seems intensely frightened as she describes this. She has been having strange dreams of late. There has been no word from the mine or any of the surrounding villages since she arrived. Another war party is sent. It vanishes altogether, and scouts later report seeing most of its number working the mines or patrolling the surrounding region in fish masks. The scouts' last communiqué is hasty, fragmented, and filled with disturbing talk of "hungry trees" and "star people."

When the masked prophet comes to the stronghold, the very sight of the army that follows drives many of the defenders mad. The sky splits open and stars stare down like eyes. Trusted soldiers scream in tongues and turn on one another. Veteran commanders claw their own eyes out and leap from the walls. Meteors fall from the heavens. A hulking terror with too many limbs and no face raises its warped hands on high and mouthlessly bellows in a language that hurts to listen to; one of the knights charging the thing is simply unmade, horse and all, leaving nothing behind but a fading scream and a lingering sense of horrifying wrongness. The masked one laughs exultantly. "It is time! It is time!"

Very nice! Now do this for all the others! ;)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Rogue like devs are the worst.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Be forewarned, you will be auto-killed once you reached the elevator after a certain level because the dev didn't want to let players continue indefinitely dicking around with the random towns people. <:mad:>

Unimpressed posted:

Rogue like devs are the worst.

Adding some context to my tongue in cheek comment. We all love you PF!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

i know, i was messing around.

love y'all too. killing players is how we show we care

Oh cool, so instead of my Crawl win rate being <1%, my Crawl Care Rate is > 99%!

I take it back, roguelike devs are the best except for Lasty :argh:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Unless they figured out something in the couple years since I played it tends to bog down into which team picked the most dragons with the best bless.

You say that as if lots of highly blessed dragons, in any game, could be a bad thing :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Bootcamping your macbook essentially means that you're either committing yourself to playing for a worthwhile amount of time in one go, or essentially having to be a windows user. I play games in tandem with doing other things, not necessarily at exactly the same time, but especially for roguelikes, advising people to dual boot is not very helpful.