Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hey there, just posting a thing for a couple of reasons. First off since people following this thread are probably (I can't be totally sure) fans of roguelikes I figured it would be a good place to talk about one I'm working on. Right now it's an honors project for this fancy college thing I'm doing but if there's enough interest in it I'd honestly quite like to make it a longer-term project and actually make a fully-featured roguelike out of it. That is a bit of a ways off but the basics are in and from here a lot of it is adding features and better algorithms for stuff like map generation.

Anyway, here's a screenshot.

It's made in Unity and is in fact 3D. Far as I could tell there hasn't been much going on for roguelikes that don't use text or sprite graphics. I decided that needed to happen. Other stuff I've been adding is more advanced computational things. I obviously don't have access to the source code of stuff like Dungeons of Dredmore but far as I can tell (especially considering that a lot of roguelikes are quite old and predate home computers with things like dual cores) there hasn't been much on the topic of multithreading in the genre either. I also find that the AI in roguelikes is often wanting. It's extremely predictable and doesn't adapt to stuff all that well. What I set out to do on top of 3D graphics was utilize more modern approaches to such things. What I've been working on is AI based on neural networks that can analyze its surroundings and respond more appropriately as well as give different creatures quite different personalities. They will, for example, react differently to a player they know is powerful than to one they know nothing about and act more aggressively if they see that the player is very injured. I'm also working on making less awful UIs.

Don't get me wrong; if it sounds like I'm tearing them apart I do adore roguelike games. I've been playing ADOM for like 15 years (still haven't beaten it) and think Dungeons of Dredmore is pretty great. I just think the genre lacks a few things and could be better.

The second thing is I want to know what people want from the genre. As I'm working on improving things I'd like to know what needs to be improved. What games did something you liked? What ones did something you hated? What are some UI things that just really do need to be improved? What are some things that a roguelike hasn't done yet that you'd like to see done? If you could have your perfect roguelike what would it be like? Which ones were your favorites and why?

Ahah I like dismal looking gameworlds like that, all rocks and grey things. Add a few broken barrels and skulls and stuff, maybe some grimacing faces embedded in the walls. Roll with that look.

To answer your question I like roguelikes where you have some measure of permanence in the world, rather than just being one guy, meaning you get a build a base or a camp. A lot of games have tried this but none of them have done this really well yet. It's fun to build a little island of civilization in a world of horrible random deaths and monsters.

Right now I'm playing Toejam & Earl, I never played Sega as a kid but I'm really loving it. You get to open presents, but you never know what's inside until you open a present of a certain type (or pay to have them identified), and some of them are horrible. It forces you to gamble a bit while still retaining control over exactly how much risk you're willing to take at a given moment. Good roguelikes have that balance down right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Played a 4 hour game of Toejam & Earl with my sister in law. She really liked the game even though she's not such a gamey person usually. She accidentally found out that there's a second secret island on level 1 which I had no idea about (she used the telephone gift by mistake and it turned up some hidden squares on the map), if you go east northeast of the main island there's another little island with presents on it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm playing Invisible Inc, I'm on day 8 of the endless mode with 3 rewinds (kind of easy but I'm still learning). I got Control, Brimstone, Faust and Bless, which is the perfect anti-daemon combination, along with that I have Internationale, Drake and Prism, who mostly own except for Drake who has to make lethal kills to get skill upgrades. Daemons either get immediately transmuted into something good like extra AP or cash (i have way too much cash), or they linger for maybe 1 or 2 turns, but even then I get 5 energy from Control's augment to deal with them. The only really annoying ones are the ones that are permanent, like firewall bumps and guard summons.

I got into a crazy situation on my last mission, it was an FTM map. I don't know exactly what happened but somehow the alarm level got immediately bumped to level 2, somehow I got a starter daemon plus some other effect from the FTM routers, or maybe it was a bug, it happened before I even got to make my first move. One of the routers also immediately let two of their 8-armor guards know where I was, so I had to deal with them right away. I had an AOE door shock trap which I used to knock out the two guards, one of whom I had Drake execute and the other I pinned, I then slowly but surely lured every guard on the level into my trap, attracting their attention on purpose and pinning/tranquilizing them all in a big heap in the exit room while Internationale scouted and looted the level. I ended up clearing everything out at level 6 and loving with the remaining 2 guards using more shock traps and distractions.

Invisible Inc rules, it really reminds me of FTL, although with less RNG. I hadn't found a roguelike which does the same thing for me that FTL did but this one scratches the same itch. I haven't tried every agent yet and I haven't beaten on expert, but I'm sure I'll get there at some point.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Draco is an absolute loving nightmarish force of nature later on, once you've given him lots of dead dudes to nom. You can quite feasibly max out every single one of his stats in a regular-length game, and once that happens he just always gets his secondary bonuses for scanning dead guys - useful stuff like extra PWR and whatnot. He's really good, you just have to have a plan for killing a shitload of people and getting away with it.

He and either the sniper guy or that terrifying Russian death machine (Nika?) make an incredible starting duo for a "no witnesses" style run.

And yeah, shock traps are the poo poo. The guy with the EMP arm and custom shock trap - Allen Xu, I think? - is arguably the best all-around character in the drat game, right up there with Internationale, because he can automatically hellfuck locks with his robot arm and automatically hellfuck guards with his trap. If you get him another trap and the skills to use it he can often troll half the guards on a level unconscious by sneaking around and booby-trapping doors.

The problem is that I didn't start with him, I rescued him on the 4th day or so with no lethal weapons, I had to buy a flurry gun for him and now he's playing catch up. After the last mission I finally maxed out his speed and anarchy stats, but he still needs strength for dragging and KO damage. He's already becoming great though. I've been using him in combination with EMP attacks to knock out heart rate detectors so I can kill guards without alarm triggers.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Your arguments all make sense, and Draco and Nika and Xu are incredibly good, but...

Archive!Prism + Archive!Internationale = what's difficulty? Infinite power, forever, meaning you have an invisible agent, forever. She can move KOed teammates, she can steal everything, she can do everything you want to do in a level when the alarm levels are through the roof. It gets even more broken when Internationale's power generation works even when she's KOed.

e: In my last runthrough of Expert Plus mode with DLC it was crazy - Prism had two invisibility cloaks, and essentially Internationale and Xu would beeline to the exit pad and just wait there while Prism cleaned out everything we needed.

That sounds like fun, I'll try it on my next run. So far I've used regular Internationale in all my teams and I'd like to change it up a bit.

With my current setup I have pretty much infinite energy too. In later days on endless everything has a daemon, meaning every time I hack something, Control's augment triggers and I get 5 EN, plus Prism's augment which gives me another 2, plus two EN every turn from Faust, and whatever else I get from consoles and looting bots.

So now I have Faust, Brim, Bless, Parasite, Hammer. Parasite is probably the weakest link so I'm looking to switch it out for Lockpick v2 or something else that I can push harder with. Maybe I'll throw out brimstone too, that would mean 10% less daemon conversion though, so I'm not sure.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

In invis inc you just have to have a lot of discipline about not taking risks, same as FTL. It's almost never worth the risk of getting spotted to save a few AP since alarm level raises are far worse than a tiny bit of slowdown, always assume a guard is about to walk through every door on the next turn, don't stand anywhere where they might spot you and peek through doors before opening them. I also figured out too late that you can use their peripheral vision to distract guards and not make them go to their "alarmed" state, meaning you can pretty much control where the guards will walk by briefly moving into a yellow square and back to safety.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm playing FTL again, I lost my old save with all the ships unlocked (and finished on hard) in a cloud save mishap, so i'm trying to get them back. I missed this game. Just beat it with Lanius A on hard, using a set of breach bombs, a chain laser and BL3. The old FTL thread is dead I guess, or at least I couldnt find it without the search. Is anyone else still playing this game?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anyone play Sky Rogue? It's a simple dogfighting rl but really fun to play, just mindlessly blasting enemies, i havent beaten it yet

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have, yeah, it's super fun. My go-to build is the Schwalbe with (IIRC) heavy rockets, turbo micro missiles, and IR missiles. Just be faster than everything else, pull crazy aerobatics, and line up with your target just long enough to dump a full salvo of rockets into them before swooping away.

Before they updated the aircraft carriers, I'd instead carry the Morningstar bomb and bomb their control towers. Getting the trajectory on the bomb right without having a useful targeting reticule was tricky, but oh man it felt good to land that one shot and have the entire carrier go down.

I wish equipment/aero unlocks could happen during a run (instead of only after you die) so you could plausibly try to win the game from a fresh savefile without having only the basic vulcan, micro missiles, and light rockets to work with. I know there's a cheevo for doing just that, but I don't wanna do it.

I tend to ditch the micromissiles in favor of a powerful front gun, it's satisfying to shoot them down red baron style, and they have high sustained dmg

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

http://www.sullla.com/FTL/ftladvancedstrategy.html I read this earlier, this is from some successful let's player of FTL. I think he's kind of underselling teleportation and mind control. I win so many games against the flagship by exploiting crew fights, and killing most of the crew in phase 1 makes phase 2 trivial and phase 3 much easier. With Lanius boarders I pick hacking and mind control and find a breach bomb, then hack the FS's shields, mind control the pilot to drop its evasion to 0, put an unmissable breach bomb in the missile room and teleport in my lanius, then throw in another breach bomb (damages my crew too but doesnt matter with a clonebay). Once the missiles are down the fight is basically won. Then it's just a matter of breaching the medbay as well and adding boarders and mind controlling more crew to slowly eliminate all of them.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I played only a bit of DotE but i thought it just looked unappealing and convoluted, or am I wrong and is it a great game?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In 2012, the median roguelike player age was 37. This year, the median has climbed to 43. Extrapolating from this, by 2075, it's estimated that the average roguelike player will be over 100 years old.

The RNG will get us long before that, don't jinx your run

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I finished an FTL hard mode game with the Engi B, which a lot of people claim is one of the worst ships in the roster, it really wasn't that difficult, the Engi B has a lot of crap you can sell off to buy better equipment, and I managed to buy double Flak II's which tore the flagship to pieces. Now I'm trying Rock A, which is a terrible ship. Missiles are worthless.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

The worst ship in the game wasn't that difficult because you were able to convert it into a different ship entirely? I... think you missed the point of why it's the worst ship.

Well its extra junk is particularly valuable, a drone reactor aug, two drones and an ion weapon you can sell, so as long as you hit a store it's a flexible ship with a high defense potential. Rock A isnt as flexible and 3 rock crew are really slow to repair and respond to boarders, still playable but equally unfeasible in its default setup, with fewer options, and it doesnt come with a system installed.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It may be that the Engi B is a better fit for how you approach the game and whatever difficulty you're using. There's a reason why the players that have largely "solved" the game consider it to be the worst, though. It's far more fragile (in the sense of coping poorly with things going badly) than any other ship. Most ships need to find/buy new weapons fairly soon, but the Engi B also needs new crew; the drones are not remotely a compensation for only having one crewmember. The bonuses you get from manning systems are really important, especially for piloting/engines and weapons. The ship's only advantages really are that it's armed with expensive (if crappy) equipment, and it's small. And smallness is a two-edged sword considering how quickly fires can spread.

Rock A isn't a great ship, but it's far more resilient to upsets than Engi B is. All it really needs is a new weapon before it runs out of missiles. Rocks being slow is a pain but usually not a big problem in fights. Though it does make me yearn for a "okay, the ship is safe, please just autoheal everyone and autorepair the ship" button.

Well it's definitely not one of the good ships, I simply sell its entire loadout at the first store, but after getting over the initial hurdle of how vulnerable you are to an RNG mishap, it's not that bad. In FTL, flexibility is everything since the only way to reliably beat the range of poo poo the RNG can throw at you is to stop by enough stores with enough money to prepare for everything. I'd say Engi B is definitely worse than A or C, but the worst ships are Fed C and Rock A & B. On Engi B boarders and fire are an issue, but the anti personnel drone can usually tide you over until you get a second crewman, and with 2 or more crewmen and upgraded doors most boarders simply become trivial. The most annoying FTL event is the one where you just get 4 boarders and no rewards since boarders simply don't pose a threat on their own with all the options you have to kill them off.

Stealth C is a guilty pleasure, the shield drone sucks rear end but if you actually manage to drop cash on a stealth system before you get blown up you can enjoy your infinite Zoltan shield :3:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Just got blown up by the flagship on Rock A, I still think the Rock ships just have a serious scrap deficit and that's way worse than the crew problems of Engi B or Stealth C's wonky setup. I can get to the FS and usually blow it up on hard mode at will, but the Rock ships suck, I was constantly behind the curve on this run and it was miserable, even though I lucked into a scrap recovery arm and some decent weapons early on, and min/maxed the gently caress out of every sector, I didn't get to 4 shield pips.

On phase 2 I cloaked through a missile volley, but had to save power for my weapons, so I only had 95% evade instead of 100%. All three missiles hit: weapons, engines and shields. That was pretty much the end of that run.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Well if the engines were hit first the evasion would go down and the chance for followup hits would increase.

I think that's what happened, yeah. Actually, I misspoke, they didn't hit the engines but they hit the cockpit, which i had only upgraded once, so the first one probably took out my evade and then I only had what was offered by the cloak itself, still terrible luck. I should have just depowered shields for the last bit of evade.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Loaded up my old save of Invisible Inc and got back into it right away, it's such a great game. At some point though the endless mode becomes a bit redundant since there's no way to further upgrade your agents to meet the threat, which just becomes numerically stronger (but not mechanically stronger), like more daemons and higher firewalls. I'm on day 12 now and I think I've sort of "solved" the game. I really wish there was a sequel since the concept of the game is really cool.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

When I play Invis. I keep wanting some kind of XCommy career mode where you're building your team up, or something similar to what Frozen Synapse II is shaping up to be, where it's a smaller area, but a detailed, shifting map that you're plotting your way through.

I get the vague impression that they started with "XCOM" and refactored the plot the way it is to support a more trim experience. Endless seems like the concession to the career mode you ain't gonna get. Probably the right decision overall, but I always feel like something's missing. I wanna take contracts and upgrade my agents and stuff while building a business, but I also feel like that would remove the desperate scramble that the game relies on.

Yeah a stronger metagame would be a big improvement. In my current endless game I'm just kind of waiting to finally die since the missions aren't getting much harder and I kind of want to try a different combination of heroes now, but don't want to just straight up throw my game either. I wish you could get access to more than 4 heroes and select 4 for a mission, at least.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm trying to beat Invisible Inc's story mode on expert while using faust and brimstone, which seriously up the RNG but can also be exploited to farm cash (by lingering as long as possible in a level, since every turn there's a chance for an inverted demon install, potentially netting 200 bucks). I'm using archive Banks and Central. Has anyone beaten it on expert plus, where you can't even see the guards' sight cones? That seems hard as poo poo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Finished expert mode in Invis Inc, thinking of doing either expert plus or endless plus, but I still need the 20 days cheevo for regular endless too...

It seems like, whenever I go for a prisoner level in endless, the prisoner is either Decker (who is not innately useful) or Draco (who is very hard to level up since he doesn't start out with a lethal weapon if he's a prisoner). It's never Internationale or something.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tried Invis Inc's Endless Plus mode, but man alive is it hard, getting through everything without accidentally walking into an invisible sightcone takes so much more time, and with the consciousness alarms (where guards you knock out also raise the alarm) you can't just pile everybody up in a side room either. What are the best agents for doing this? I tried archive sharp and olivia first, but they don't seem that useful since they're both geared towards knocking people out. Maybe internationale and prism?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm trying to get ahead in Invisible Inc's endless plus mode. It's loving impossible, and this is coming from someone who won on hard with every ship in FTL.

It seems like every other mission you just get into unwinnable situations. First mission goes okay and I get to the pad with some cash, second mission boom, I spawn in a room that's next to a hallway with 3 guards on alternating patrol routes, a camera and no cover. Even if I dance around the guards to misdirect them there just isn't enough room to maneuver safely into the rooms across the hallway, since on endless plus the game does not show you line of sight unless you can see the source (guard drone or camera), meaning you have to expend AP on peeking around corners a lot more.

And even if you do that, you still have a chance of opening a door that attracts an unseen guard with not enough AP to be able to run away, you just have to be lucky to get a base layout that you can actually traverse.

The game rules on normal and expert but expert plus and endless plus are pure bullshit. Has anyone managed to get far in these modes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

The trick is to get Prism's alternate mode where she has a free cloak she can activate whenever, and the Internationale who generates power when the threat level is up. These two together break the game's difficulty in half.

So that you have unlimited cloak? That might work yeah.

Most of my runs have been based around a Central/faust/brimstone combo, the idea being that Central makes power a non-issue in the later levels and brimstone can be abused for cash by lingering in the elevator after alarm 6 to get daemon->$200 procs. Maybe that's too much of a late game focus though, I've never tried archive Internationale. Which programs do you use with those two, I'm assuming not faust and brim?