Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just started playing but knifing seems pretty easy to me, you just have to angle it a bit towards the side the knife comes out, instead of just facing your enemies straight on.

Just on my second run of the game and I just discovered a secret room that leads to a much larger room where five giant robot dudes armed with Gatling guns rushed in. They immediately killed me, and I was doing so well before. Guess I know now that not even the secret rooms are safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My favorite part of Teleglitch is when you open a door and there is a monster behind it that rushes towards you in a circle strafe instead of going straightforward and you can simply just step forward and the door closes behind you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Glimpse posted:

Thats the secret level 3 boss. I think you get a chance to turn back before entering the boss room and it always looks the same so you can recognize it and back out before you get trapped. Or load up your panzerfausts and heavy rifle and have an awesome time.

Yeah, I mentioned running into it above and easily spotted and avoided it the next time I played. And even if you somehow accidentally ended up fighting them again you can always run away.

I was just foolish thinking I could take them on then.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If it locks it only locks after they showed up, because I took a few steps in on my most recent run to just double check if it was the same room.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The people who make the games should call it whatever the gently caress they want, just like bands that make up dumb fake genres to describe themselves.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SnowblindFatal posted:

Any people here play The Sunless Sea? Seems really fun, but gosh it's slow-paced! I can't imagine wanting to play the same beginning missions over and over many times. Also the game is hard as gently caress. Also everything is so obscure that many times you can't really make an informed decision so something innocent may turn out to doom your crew it would appear.

It's like Sid Meier's Pirates! (the new one) the roguelike.

You know how people talk about "podcast" games?

It feels like it was made to be one. The pacing is slow where you have to be in the right mood to play it without doing something else at the same time.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Doing this, I think.

Gonna make a cooking-related roguelike. Please to provide any ridiculous suggestions.

Anthony Bourdain teaches you through the tutorial.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Johnny Joestar posted:

put a little more roguelike influence in there and have the player be a tavern owner who happens to have a sprawling dungeon below the tavern that only they go into, and they use it to harvest really weird stuff to make delicious food with while heroes come in and brag about their conquests but secretly you're more heroic than they are.

All the heroes are model and named after Food Network reality tv chefs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

meh, call me up when i can battle the end in ascii

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Pain shoots b's

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
All of those describe the type of games they are pretty clearly. Like a FPS is a first person shooter. And that is its like big element. Roguelikes have like a few big elements really and there isn't a niffty term to describe all of those elements besides Roguelikes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
http://gearhead.wikia.com/wiki/Gearhead_RPG_Wikia There is a Gearhead wikia again, its nice seeing this game slowly lumber back to life.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Posting to reconfirm that gearhead and gearhead 2 are still cool.

The guy is still slowly updating them up to a point he feels comfortable until he starts on Gearhead 3.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I got into Gearhead 2 again. You can commit culinary terrorism and help a dude blow up a bacteria bomb to sabotage space McDonald's.

Gearhead 2 is such a good game. The creator has been writing retrospectives of 1 and 2 and applying some fixes for the last couple months now, and talking about what he is going to change for whatever the next iteration of the series is going to be. Hopefully something good comes out of it.

Also picking born to fly as your talent and the wraith as your starting mech (which isn't even a mech, its a aerofighter) makes the game feel super good. You are ace combating a bunch of robots and the occasional jet.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
One thing you should probably know going in is captial U lets you use your mecha's systems. This is very imporant because it lets you use your scanners to reveal hidden units on the overmaps when you are doing quests where you are trying to hunt down the baddies, otherwise you will be wandering around blind until you randomly hit them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This is v good

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Helical Nightmares posted:

Anyone played Depth of Extinction?

I ran into it on itch.io while back. Back when I played it, none of it really felt great, it didn't have the "snap" you want those games to have.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
we need more anime roguelikes so gearhead is less lonely

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Well I didn't mention it because it was the obivous exa-

What hell is this

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Little Witch @emia

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Well that is Gastly

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The future of Gearhead looks strong, look at this incredible new bullet technology.

ok that was a bit sarcastic but MORE IMPORTANTLY THE GUY IS WORKING ON A NEW GEARHEAD

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

dis astranagant posted:

He's abandoned like 3 different new Gearheads since development on 2 dried up. Don't get too excited.

I believe in the pissing robot

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Question to all the roguelike developers in this thread: Why aren't there any roguelikes about friendship?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Friendship is one of the most powerful builds in Caves of Qud! It's just a friendship built on psychic mutant mind control powers and also murder.

This doesn't sound like the type of person I would want to be friends with at all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I failed a hijack mission because it was in a Warzone and took out the ship's thrusters but then afterwards I realized "wait, you can take out the attacking ship first." Like even when I fail, I always felt like I learn something more about the systems. Like people mentioned the "getting spaced with your target" scenario tends to pop up a lot, but 1. half of this game is built around things getting spaced 2. its really a teachable moment.

I have been describing the game to my friends as "Space Station 13 as an action movie."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ahh yes, the Cowboy Bebop mission.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Question for Tangledeep dev, is it true you will be releasing a soundtrack DLC for the Bangles called "Bangledeep" ?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Every single person here is an apologist for some bad game.

gearhead 2 offers a really unique experience and is close to a gundam roguelike we will ever get!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Look, shoving a hundred craps in a drop capsule, opening it and having them all immediately explode and send shards of crab meat flying throughout the map that kills everything on impact while also destroying your computer, makes Cortex Command pretty ok.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ZearothK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH4HPPqs8LI

http://hopooo.tumblr.com/post/173738729594/devblog-10-year-one-hi-it-has-been-exactly-1

They're planning on doing a closed alpha relatively soonish, and then a beta to test servers and stuff.

I really love Risk of Rain, but I still wasn't expecting this to be like, one of my most anticipated games now.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The card interactions are a bit different as well, in Card Quest the decks feel very, puzzle piecey and to effectively play the game you are focusing on making good chains. Slay the Spire feels more status effecty (?) where card often play off of that. I mean both games have elements of both, its just the "card engine" runs differently in a way I don't think I am explaining very effectively.

e: Card Quest feels more gear-y and Slay the Spire feels more flow-y.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 16, 2018

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

StrixNebulosa posted:

Not strictly a roguelike thing, but the Gearhead guy has made an adorable Papercraft model of one of the mechas in the Gearhead 'verse.

The Buru Buru is so dumb and goofy looking.
I mean that can be said for every mecha in Gearhead, but still.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Everything in Gungeon feels like a constant pling. Its like, a dripping drain in game flow. Its so slow.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It moves bad.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also it moves bad and everything feels like sludge.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I can't believe there are two Castlevania games.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Someone should make a roguelike where random generation is based off of bad analogies and awful metaphors. For example, one floor you could roll, let see, I'll just randomly come up with "restaurant that only serves onions" where the level design is setup like a restaurant and all drops have the "stink" passive.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
No, I agree, that dude's shirt does seem tacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hearthstone is a game with very few interesting choices