Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

IVAN isn't updating, but CLIVAN is. Kind of the Stone Soup of IVAN, although... not as interested in fairness or balance, as these are antithetical to the nature of IVAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

alansmithee posted:

Also, does anyone remember an old roguelike named "Ragnarok"? I believe it only had a tile system, and took a bunch of stuff from Norse myths. Was the first I played before I knew what they really were. I'd love an updated version just because there was all sorts of cool stuff in there.

Wasn't it Ragnarok-Valhalla?

I loved that game just for the conceit, which was that the Norse gods are fated to lose at Ragnarok, so you have to go around fixing everything that went wrong in a Norse myth. Revive Baldur, find Freyr's sword, kill Jormungand, etc.

ToxicFrog posted:

I noticed IVAN 3D on the wiki. How well does that work?

Heck if I know, brah, I have no truck with this three-dees nonsense.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

"Full of?" Like, the bot death messages I guess. That's all I can recall, though. And I think the actual gameplay is pretty fun.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

None of those titles are really 'oldies.'

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty much everything Arcen has made after AI War was a hot mess with post release support dropped almost immediately. I hear their latest strategy game might be decent but I wouldn't advise encouraging them to make other games they aren't any good at.

I'd disagree; Arcen has a history of long support and tweaks to games. the specifics change from game to game, but I'd say the post-release support has ranged from acceptable to impressive with every game except for Shattered Haven and Tidalis, the latter of which didn't need any.

I wasn't too into Skyward Collapse, but it was updated and tweaked regularly for a while, A Valley Without Wind got so much post-release support they just made a second game and you got it for free, and The Last Federation has got constant QOL and balance updates until a little after the release of the expansion, and they're not done with it yet.

To be honest, I think the post-release stuff is Arcen's whole deal. They usually release a game that COULD have been good, if some stuff was different, and then they keep shaking it up until it's really good.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

So, there's a version of OWH that's essentially reskinned as a Mystery Dungeon game coming to PS4. Does anybody know if it has the OWH+ content?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Anybody had any luck buying Oone Way Heroics+ from Playism? A buddy got it for me, and he said it gave him a message there there weren't any available keys after he bought it. I got the gift email shortly after with a key included, but it sends me to a redeem page where the supplied key just-

Nevermind, I refreshed the page while typing this and it suddenly worked. This has now turned into a public service announcement: if you can;t get your copy of OWH+, wait like ten to fifteen minutes and try again.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

the glow posted:

What up Kyzrati, I've followed your blog for a long time and I've been fascinated by (and learned a lot of stuff from) your dissections of Cogmind's inner workings. I've really appreciated how transparent you've been about the whole development process, glad to have you posting here.

it's customary for goon roguelike devs to hand out free keys to their game by the way

I agree with everything this person has said. Their statements are accurate in every respect.

In unrelated news, has anyone played a bit of Mage Guild? It's a bad game for somebody who likes things with good in-game documentation, but it's great for anyone who just likes fuckin' around with interactions; it's got a robust item-mixing system where you rub items against each other and see what happens.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 27, 2015

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

As crafting chat has taken over again, this seems like a good point to reiterate that Mage Guild is pretty cool. It's a largely crafting-based game, if two-item combinations count as crafting, and they're effective and fun. It doesn't keep track of what combinations do what, so it might not be for everybody, though.

...I'm not like a paid Mage Guild advocate or anything; I've barely played it in the last five years. I just thought it was relevant.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Unormal posted:

Through Omega Power, the chest size of the characters you control will gradually increase, and when your uniform snaps and flies open, it can damage the enemy.

Forget Unstable Genome, THIS is the mutation we need to see in Qud.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Coming in to confirm that Renowned Explorers is really cute and fun! Only minor problem is that repeat adventures are common among runs, but your actual tactics and decisions will vary, so it's not that big a deal. I attempted to seduce Sekhmet, hugged sheep until we were friends, and made fun of dozens of people until they cried.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Dream Quest is the poo poo, no kidding. If I had to make a complaint, it would be that on Velociraptor difficulty (originally the only one), there's less wiggle room for build variation than I'd like. Also that some rare monsters seem only beatable by like half the strategies? Sphinxes in particular are huge cockblockers, but luckily several classes with heavy focuses (Warrior, Wizard) can get past them without fighting.

On that note, I recently upgraded to Windows 8, and Dream Quest keeps doing a thing where it'll work fine for a day or so, then it'll never run again and I have to redownload it. Anybody else have the same problem?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been giving Dream Quest a shot, and so far...level 2 is bullshit. What the gently caress is this with ghosts that surprise-attack you, take half damage from physical, have more health than my character does, automatically drain 4 health each turn, and get four cards each turn? I mean, even if I wasn't playing a physical-based character (thief) I'm having trouble seeing how that's a reasonable encounter.

Roguelikes can be hard, but they should be fair. At least let me run from the loving things!

Level 2 is just a random one of eight themes; the ghosts can be anywhere. All I can say is:be on the watch for ghosts, bro. They're acceptable even if you're a physical character; some guys can wreck your poo poo, to be sure, but be aware that you're going to need to do non-physical damage SOMETIME, and prepare for it. Thieves are particularly poo poo at this, but you can get really good poison. Try to back yourself up with an elemental strike or two. I agree ghosts can be an unpleasant surprise, and they've ended a few runs, but like those (loving) Ussuri (?) in the forest region, surprise attacks are a thing you quickly learn to be prepared for.

If you think the ghosts are legit bullshit and they make you really unhappy, you're going to have some unpleasant surprises in store for you. Phoenixes, Sphinxes, Storm Giants, and Hands of Glory are far more lovely.

(Also, running is a special ability you have to unlock and take as a perk.)

edit: I mean, the ghosts can show up in the 'undead castle' theme, which can be anywhere in the game.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 7, 2015

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I didn't like Towerclimb much at first, but I grew to love it after maybe an hour and a half of play. I would rate it at Spelunky, or perhaps Spelunky-1.

It has the same deal; changing areas in a set order, semi-random events, you can find powerful items, etc. The pace is slower than Spelunky in general, though.

It still has the same old Spelunky murderous multiplayer rife with recrimination, though.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

victrix posted:

I had no idea the game was even out, or was a thing, or they were making it, etc.

Arcen games are... pretty raw. They always feel more experimental than solid, which can be a good thing, but I think I was put off their work after AI War for a long time, they released a string of games that just felt messy, unfinished, or unfun to me, so I stopped paying attention. And apparently that included not paying attention to them releasing a new game again, oops.

Also, not to bag on the polish quality of a tiny company, but they put out some deeply, deeply unappealing products aesthetically. It can't just be a budget issue either, they're consciously choosing art/music/sfx I find anywhere from uninteresting to actively repellant.

Now, I m a huge Arcen fan, and I can't say a lot of your complaints bother me in particular; they're fair ones.

But really, the music? The guy who does almost all of their music is Pablo Vega, and I almost universally adore his work. poo poo, I have the AVWW and AI War soundtracks, they're great to listen to. Different strokes, I guess?

quick edit: Oh wait, I forgot I was pages behind on discussion, my bad. Pablo Vega still owns, though. :colbert:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

victrix posted:

Don't like it, subjective of course. Several of their trailers also have some hilariously godawful overwrought singing in them, can't remember which game it was.

Probably AVWW2? But maybe Bionic Dues.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

9hotonic posted:

the new pokemon mystery dungeon came out in the UK a few days ago and it feels super nostalgic and nice to play again

i know its considered an easy roguelike but ever since pmd2 I've had a soft spot for the series, so im glad this one isn't disappointing like gates to infinity

I thought this one could actually get pretty hard at times! The bosses seemed a bit easier, but the dungeons themselves could be hell, although you can pick your own difficulty to some extent.

Protip: Cubone is AMAZING, he learns Bonemerang, which is a 10 range attack that hits twice. I haven't seen any other direct attack moves that hit more than four spaces away*.

*Okay, technically Hyper Beam causes a 3x3 explosion at point of impact, but still.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

like the flavour text just writes itself:

sounds more like lack-of-flavor text to me, hur hur

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Zorodius posted:

if anyone was interested in Enter the Gungeon, but turned off by the fact it didn't give you any ammo to use with your cool guns, you should know there was a bug that was making most ammo not drop while holding the starter weapon, and it's fixed on PC now.

(If you're on console - though it's a safe bet you're not, considering this is a roguelike thread - you should finish rooms holding a non-starter weapon until the patch trickles down.)

It makes a lot of sense. I kept seeing people say things like "If only you could actually use the guns the game gave you :(" and "This game is so close to being good, but you're forced to use only the starter pistol since ammo is so rare." and I thought they were idiots since I was usually getting multiple ammo boxes per floor. Also, the desire to not run out of ammo is strong; I played with friends, and two of them said something like "I have to stop using this gun now. I'm almost out of ammo. Well, almost halfway down, anyways." And then they'd just stop using the gun until it was refilled.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

Started brainstorming joke spells (literally) for a stand up comedian roguelike, send help

Non-sequiter should be the most situational damage type; many enemies have high resistance, but a few are extremely weak to it. Even the weak enemies aren't affected TOO strongly, though, so you have to set it up to assault with repeated small hits.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

poo poo, YOU'RE the guy I can blame for The Underside never finishing!? When that Undertale game got released I thought it was finally here, but it turned out to be... well, not the same at all.

(Also STREEMERZ is a cool game, good job)

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Maybe add a visual option for Deathstate that favors clarity over cool-lookin'? A pain in the rear end, I know. One of the things I liked about Enter The Gungeon was that all enemy bullets are either bright red or dark red; there's no ambiguity about whether or not a given bullet is an enemy attack or not.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

There isn't a writeup of the game in the OP. Can someone sell me on it?

I assume this is a jest, but just in case, Angry Diplomat has it:

Angry Diplomat posted:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.

e: drat

John Lee fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 1, 2016

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Finally picked up the paid version of Caves of Qud! I was big fan in the old days and now I can play UP-TO-DATE with the hottest mods!

On another note: FORCED Showdown is on a mild sale on Steam. It just barely registers on the roguelike scale, being a twinstick bullet-hellish shooter with permadeath wherein you build a 'deck' of upgrades to select from out of unlocked cards.

It's my bag to be sure, and I've heard a couple good things, but I'm waffling. Does anybody know anything more? Positive and negative opinions welcome.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Is that the one with the Zero Escape-themed magic watch bracelet?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Is this local co-op, or internet co-op, or both? I'd love to help test, but the people I could/would play with are different between the two.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Played We Need To Go Deeper with two friends earlier, and the game is incredibly rough, yet astonishingly good at getting across the basic feel of gameplay. We had a blast yelling at each other through a voice chat client, and I can tell it's really going to go places.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Gibbo posted:

I'm not looking for other suggestions. I have tome. I was just semi interested in that one. I also find the idea of naming it brogue as a way of insinuating it is "pleb friendly" loving disgusting.

A: As pointed out above, it's not.

B: Why is that 'loving disgusting?' I legitimately don't understand how it could be. Even if it had been true, a dude gave a lighthearted name to a roguelike, I FEEL SICK JUST THINKING ABOUT THE LACK OF RESPECT SHOWN TO THE ROGUELIKE GENRE? Do you just hate bros?

Recommendation: Save calling things loving disgusting for things that are actually reprehensible.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Wasn't Dragon Crystal, for the Game Gear, a sequelish to Fatal Labyrinth?

I am basing this entirely on watching a friend play FL and saying "Holy poo poo, that's exactly like Dragon Crystal but without the dragon!" so take it with a grain of salt. I think DC was the first roguelike I ever really played, on my grandparent's Game Gear when I was young. Ahh, good times.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

RoboCicero posted:

Tried a bare-handed Hero run but I think the fact that crits without a weapon don't ignore armor means it really struggles later on against heavily armored skeletons and the like.

I don't know if you mean skeletons in general or the skeletons with badass shields, but here's a dark secret* about skeletons that took me a while to figure out: They're all classed as materials for purposes of damage, which is why they're so drat hard to kill with a lot of things. Axes or a special move that's good against chests/walls will cut right through them though.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Dunno why people consider the Disgaea games excessively grindy in general; you can get through the main story just fine with minimal or no grinding, and there's sidequests and optional stuff to let you ignore even that. There's certainly postgame ridiculous content, but you can ignore that easily, and the main way to level up is by stacking experience boosts and other things, and not by grinding for dozens of hours.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

For specifics: I beat the original Disgaea playing mostly one story map after the other. I don't remember how long it took exactly, but let's lowball and say 20ish hours. I took a two-hour break in there once, to level up some reclassed characters. I ended the game at about level 45, and the final boss was 60ish; a notable but not insurmountable difference in the system.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

madjackmcmad posted:

Madjack Opinion theater time.

Grinding is fun and good if:

1) The act of playing the game is fun and good,
2) There's more than one way to achieve the grinding goal,
3) There's opportunity for surprises along the way.
Bonus: There are secondary benefits to the grind.

Good methods
Fighting monsters in the wild: You get to enjoy the gameplay, gain resources, and perhaps be surprised by an item that drops or a situation you fall in to. In some cases, fighting monsters gives you multiple currencies: money, piety, reputation, monster parts, etc. The point being that there's a wide array of value.

Economic adventure: Buying and selling in game goods, gathering rare items from distinct places and selling them to the right people, or managing a resource generator like a farm or shop, can all be a lot of fun, especially if it involves travel and exploration. Materials gathering is iffy -- some people like the chill style of just traveling around to pick up items, other people feel that it's boring and busywork. It's best if the gathering has valuable side effects.

Bad methods
Exploiting repetitive yet optimal actions: Instead of tearassin' around a dungeon leaving monster stains, what you can do for higher gold per hour is find a Snoreshroom and farm it by pushing it against a wall in this specific dungeon 255 times, thus creating -- yeah you get it. Those more optimal steps are usually more boring because they don't hit points 1, 2 or 3. They're usually hyper focused on one item or series of steps, and the only value gain is specific to that goal.

"Snoreshroom tops sell for more than average, and they're easy to kill, even though they don't drop anything else, so just farm up 1,000 of them and you're good" :(

These are some good words about grinding. I have the newest Pokemon game, and the secondary benefits are what it's all about there. I never stop to specifically get XP or levels, I stop to take a look around in the new area, get treasure, find the new party members with new abilities that are present. Maybe I see some rare Pokemon, but I accidentally kill it so I spend another 30-45 minutes hunting for another one. Find the invisible treasure lurking in every area. The end effect is that I end up with too much experience, and so I swap out my party members semi-regularly, letting my A-team take a back burner while the B- or C-team gets up to speed, and swapping the A-team back in when they're on par or a little lower with the enemies in the area.

Contrast with my roommates, who DO spend time actually grinding, as in fighting in an area, mashing attack buttons for a couple hours until they get high enough level to continue. One of them turns off the EXP-spreading ability that the game naturally has, so only the party members who actually participate in the battle get EXP. It makes his favorites huge powerhouses and his lesser party members kind of weaklings. The other doesn't spend any more time in an area than she has to; she never explores or looks for new Pokemon until the enemies become simply too powerful for her to continue, then she stays in the nearest available area and battles there until she can. As a result, she has a tendency to beat the games in only one or two days.

I feel like this would work really well, but as a starting project, I feel like you should build it without the treasure/meta-progression, and work solely on the tight inventory management; the progression would be another pretty heavy wrinkle in the design.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Everything is RNG. There are no 100% hits, so it's pure luck if you get screwed or not. I hated what little I played of it.

If you were not aware, the game now has a cool and well-balanced mode that has no RNG at all, and it's the default setting. Did you only play when it was in beta?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah I can't wait to play an RPG with persistent character build choices designed to inevitably punish me for my choices.

I also enjoy IVAN and slamming my foot in doorjambs

e: i'm being an rear end and these things could be overcome by a Cogmind-esque system of "your equipment is your build" or whatever but at the same time a huge part of the draw of RPGs is that you get to be what you want and be good at it

I think it says a lot about your worldview that you view a game with adaptive difficulty as 'punishing you.'

Not trying to be an rear end, don't read that as especially cutting or jerkish, I legit just wanted to point that out.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Annoyingly, there doesn't seem to be a Kindle version of the complete omnibus, which I would totally pay dollars for. Although I DID only check Amazon.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

all of their games feel fundamentally unfinished, like you're playing the final alpha candidate.

Except for AI War, right? Right?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

- I like the blurry effect when you dodge! It's neat!

:toot:

Wait, what?

*a quick Google*

...Deathstate has a DODGE!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Irony.or.Death posted:

I cannot even imagine how hosed the difficulty in Deathstate must seem if you don't know about the dodge.

Anyway, thanks for posting about the update! I never did finish that no damage run so this seems like a good excuse to smash my face into the wall a few more times.

Pretty easy, honestly; I could usually make it to the middle of the game on... Lunatic mode, or whatever you call it. More Angry Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I'm kind of surprised at people saying that Nuclear Throne is always super fair, I actually find it less fair than Gungeon by a good margin. Once you hit the Junkyard, it's easy to get instantly killed by a completely offscreen enemy that you've never seen before. You'll be looking at a weapon, and then a spray of bullets flies in from offscreen and you're dead, bam. Or even worse, you're standing by a car, and somebody detects you from offscreen and blows up a car that's on the edge, causing a carsplode chain reaction that kills you. And once you get to the snowfields, it's much more about "did you try and find good guns?" than before, because if you have a crappy gun the enemies move fast enough to charge straight through your bullets and get to you before they die. Or die next to you, if it's a robot, which kills you. Maybe high-level players are just jigging back and forth at all times in case of bullets? Oh, I almost forgot about the PORTALS! About one in fifteen times, just beating a level will kill you, and the portal will cause anything near it to explode. Maybe GOOD players say "Well, just don't stand near anything explosive when clearing a level," but A: you may not necessarily know that the enemy you're fighting is the last one, B: the explosions reach farther than you would expect, and C: the idea that after you've cleared all threats is one of the most dangerous times in the game is nowhere near a reasonable thought for someone to have.

I've only beaten Nuclear Throne once, but I've beaten Gungeon five times just consecutively. (Gungeon, incidentally, tests all the bullet patterns it fires at you, and if at any point they would be literally unescapable, it deletes some. Which is a really pleasant feature.) In addition, Throne has several weird meta-ish things to do to maximize your XP gain and gun acquisition, like how to get big chests, that isn't explained or hinted at anywhere. I got spoiled and it definitely made the game a lot easier, but Gungeon has... what, the key thing mentioned earlier? That I didn't know about and have never done. I suppose the fact that the two chests will have a passive item and a gun is helpful, but that's all I can think of, which I consider to be a big difference from Throne's "the rad canister has XP, but if you skip it you'll get LESS XP, but if you skip it twice and beat the miniboss you'll have MORE XP" deal.

I know it sounds like it, but I'm not knocking Nuclear Throne. It's a really great game, and I love the speed and madness of it all. But "scrupulously fair at all times" isn't a descriptor I would apply to it.

(Unrelated: both Throne and Gungeon have some issues preventing the multiplayer from being just perfect, and that makes me sad. At least, last time I played Nuclear Throne.)