Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I heard about the DCSS bug that accidentally doubles character melee damage in 0.16.0. This was right when the tournament started (and nearly doubled the game win rate apparently) so they patched it out in 0.16.1, but I wanted to mess in around with 0.16.0, do you any of you guys have a link to the Windows binary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Im_Special posted:

Late but here is my copy of it. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup v0.16.0

Thx dude. When I wrote that I didn't realize there was a crawl specific thread already so I headed over there, and then got caught up with non-buggy crawl. Will still check it out though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

madjackmcmad posted:

I was never down with their humor. I don't wanna pass judgement but stuff FUD vending machines and gods of Lutefisk certainly fall into the Not For Madjack category. However, their game has allowed them to prosper and make more games, whereas I'm close to living in a dumpster giving handjobs for Already Chewed Ramen. Maybe dmans needs a Lutefisk expansion.

That's kind of my take on it too; Dredmore to me feels like they are not as clever as they think they are, and things like that kind of illustrate it. Sure, it's great they're having fun with it, the "jokes" I've seen in it thus far are only one step away from "the cake is a lie! lollers!" level.

RE: New nethack. I'm a nethack master; have ascended all classes and races (and combinations) in my time on 3.4.3. And now... good god I can't live without Crawl's auto-explore. I feel so cheap.

Hay developers: I've noticed a lot of you guys are on SA. Is that just coincidence? e.g. you were on SA all along and then decided to make some roguelikes. Or is it causal? e.g. because you were on SA you became roguelike developers. Or is there some central roguelike hub where they say "hey, get on SA that's where the good poo poo is"? I'm not accusing any of you of being marketing robots or anything, but it just seems weird that so many of you guys are here. For example, the forums don't have nearly as many erotic VN developers.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Developers posted:

No, it's not causal

Dang I was hoping if I hung out here long enough I'd turn into a roguelike developer.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I like everyone in this thread except the people who think Nethack is good. Happy holidays, except to them!

I kid, I kid. You weirdoes have a happy holiday too

But... Nethack is good...

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry to kick that off I was going for an "anime is blood" thinger.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not me, I beat all you guys by not even having a steam account. Ha, yes it's the illusive Linux era gamer who remembers games "on disc" and got them through mythical things called bbs and shareware

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Just a sec, makin a nude molerat with tits sprite...

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been mulling ideas for a Puzzle Quest clone after having discovered just how awful Puzzle Quest 2 is (seriously, don't play it, it's just dull). Anyone care to make any recommendations for places to look for inspiration / mechanics to steal? The theory is that it would be a pretty straight-up clone of Puzzle Quest 1 with a sci-fi theme and a few different minigames.

Instead of gems or candy or whatever do match 3 of humor concepts, match 3 to tell a joke in that vein. This is totally my original idea and not related to discussion that may have occurred previously in this very thread.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I did a basic adventure game in high school (think guild of thieves or the pawn) with combat using Apple basic. Then used Turbo Pascal to make an advanced d&d combat sim with no graphics. In uni I did a basic EoB style crawler using ansii c. All of these basically burned me out on interface and draw routines - so much damned work!

Then i fell into Microsoft.net and haven't done anything other than programming databases and e-commerce things that make other people a lot of money :( not a rogue like developer but I always think in the back of my mind I could be...

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Turtlicious posted:

Well gently caress it, I'm getting started!

Only forever hours to go!

I'll make the wiki

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Speaking personally I find animations kind of redundant and distracting, with everything jiving and bouncing around like a Fleischman cartoon.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Friend of mine who worked on The Pit sent me a key after I we were discussing general Roguelike stuff. I tried it out for a while, wasn't too bad actually. The crafting I have no idea how to proceed in, but hasn't held me back so far. Still on my first guy, a Marine on Normal difficulty. Haven't consulted any guides or anything on Skill ups but doesn't feel overwhelming so far. Got to lvl 12 so far. The durability complaint seems overstated; I haven't had a single thing go under even 50% durability that I actually needed to survive, and when they got close I just used one of the in game durability fixing thingers on them. One thing I feel will eventually kill me is being a marine I suck at opening boxes/repairing ammo dispensers, so I bet as the monsters ramp up in toughness I'll run out of ammo/grenades/other consumables and be stuck in a spot. Probably should also look up crafting recipes, but I told myself I'd do the first couple runs spoiler free. Have realized I should have been paying more attention to the decryption skill though for recipe access.

I like all the monster assets, they're kind of a sci-fi cartoony that reminds me of 1980s board games like The Awful Green Things from Outer Space (hah! who else here is old enough to remember that one). One thing is that (so far) the levels seem a bit simplistic. I like the badging of the room types, especially when you're messed up and have to run back to a medical room, you can find it pretty quickly. And even each room being themed feels neat, like each one is a mini vault, and it does cut down on the feeling of wasted space other games have. But that said, most combat seems to be resolved in and around doors as they open, and there's not as much tactical chokepointing and maneuvering like say, DCSS. That also might be because I've chosen a fairly straightforward combat class, but the wide layout of hallways, and the (x) moves per turn system (as opposed to a nethack style 1 player turn = 1 monster turn, usually) don't seem to reward tactical positioning, or if it does you've got to soak some damage to do it.

I think what could save it is evolving combat methods and tilesets/level organization in future. I've only found one skill gated weapon so far (a laser rifle) that I was already overskilled to use, and it was a big damage upgrade. As long as those bumps keep coming to combat the ever-rising monster difficulty, and I never get stuck in what feels like an "unfair" dead end (e.g. no ammo, not enough skill to use better weapons, can only proceed with arcane crafting, etc.) it should be pretty good. I do like the Marine's flexibility weapon wise; I started out knifing everything because I wanted to save ammo, and for the most part it worked. However while the ranged weapon drops have pointed to a relatively robust weapon tree, I'm not seeing the same thing with melee drops. The closest are these weird low durability daggers I keep finding.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nethack is awesome, you guys are on berserk potions.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I beat nethack unspoiled (3.0j before weapon/class skill limits) back in 93 or so, ama. I ended up beating all classes shortly after. Until dwarf fortress, I don't think any single game had as many weird little system and rule interactions as nethack. And unlike dwarf fortress nethack is fun.

It was more fun figuring it out with others though. I'd switch off with my brothers death for death and we'd consistently get farther and farther. I was particularly proud that I was the one who figured out the bell book and candle thing since i was the youngest.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The best thing about Nethack is it actually allows the player to obtain powerful, even near-certain answers to certain problems -- you just have to know what they are and how to use them. A lot of roguelikes which are, on the balance, vastly better designed still manage to gently caress this up. (Sometimes even on purpose, as a stated design goal -- hi, Crawl!)

I'll never ascend a Nethack character though because goddamn, that interface.

This is kind of The Problem with nethack though; sure you can find a magic lamp in a store or in minetown, but you have to have the foreknowledge to know why that's important. Or even a wand of wishing; the first time I found one I had no idea. It wasn't until after I got a grayswandir the first time and then wished for it on another character did the little light bulb go off. And frankly, that's a huge barrier to entry. At the same time though, it's super challenging and neat to learn all those little ins and outs. So is it a pointless, unfair game that rewards memorizing weird bits of esoteric trivia and nothing else, or is it a neat game that Today's Kids(tm) are too weak and stupid to handle?

I hear you on interface though. Good lord does auto-explore and ^G ever make things convenient.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The thing I don't like about ADOM is that for a procedurally generated game there sure is a lot of static foreknowledge bullshit. Always go to dungeon (x) first, don't go in dungeon (y) if you're level (z), kill the blah to get the Bloo skill, don't kill a lot of foo or bar is more difficult later on. People bitch about Nethack being obtuse, but at least there aren't a bunch of invisible timers and effects so far removed from causes.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Unormal, you sadistic son of a bitch!

I read your book!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I ensured our forums' immortality by describing the "SomethingAwful polymorph bug" way back in the original games thread when the author was posting here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry for the delay I was pretty disappointed in a lot of stuff that happened today and didn't really get back on the internet until now.

The bug had nothing to do with SomethingAwful, but I found it while playing because of the original SA Incursion thread and described it there so in the changelog it read something like "Fixed SomethingAwful polymorph bug".

This was before fatigue points were meaningful and a bunch of effects like Polymorph, Giant Size, etc. didn't time-out on turn timers, but instead would just last until you rested. Except that there really wasn't any incentive to rest in the game at that point, especially as a melee character. So my character (halfling barbarian I believe) got polymorphed into a mind flayer, got giant sized, and a few other effects that just never wore off and was killing just stuff left and right. I think that version also had the low charisma underflow shop price bug.