Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
This whole topic is pretty near/dear to my heart as a person with a visual disability.

As said above, sliders and presets are probably the best implementation of this, if we’re talking pure difficulty.

But accessibility means two things and there’s so much performative bullshit from people who don’t know poo poo about it that I’m always hesitant to wade into these types of discussions.

Hades/Dishonored are concerned with accessibility as it relates to difficulty. We should change the term for this and call it approachability. A game made easier can be said to be more approachable.

Accessibility is a binary thing for people with disabilities. Either I am capable of experiencing a game (let’s leave off the question of design intent here because it inevitably leads to questions of approachability) or I cannot.

This is actually pretty handily illustrated by oldschool roguelikes. Highly unapproachable, inflexible in their difficulty, but for a visually impaired person, very accessible. A screen reader can parse a terminal window, and thus the game is accessible to an audience it wouldn’t otherwise be. But dude, Nethack still requires spoilers to win in a reasonable timeframe and Crawl will still grind you into paste until you get a grip on the systems. See? No harm to the—oh so vitally important—vision. The funny thing about this is that the design of these games was never intended to be accessible It all occurred by happenstance and a fortunate amalgamation of different technologies.

Accessible design is good design. Anything that broadens a player base leads both to a warmer reception and a fatter wallet for developers. The fact that designers need to be reminded of this is a failure of public perception about disabled people more than it is an inherent failure on their part.

But here’s the thing, if you don’t start with that consideration, you reach the erroneous conclusion that accessible design has to be expensive, difficult, unwieldy or inconvenient.

And sometimes, approachable design leads, accidentally (this is key because I guarantee most developers aren’t actually considering disabled people when they design approachably) to accessible design. But that’s because some approachability can make a game more accessible by its presence.

The game industry as a whole has kinda neglected the existence of disabled people for the entirety of its existence. Habits, standards, and so on have become entrenched. Needless to say, anything that changes will upset people for lots of reasons.

If someone bitches about approachable design it’s because they’re narrow minded and can’t conceive of different experiences. If someone objects to accessible design, they’re both guilty of that and an rear end in a top hat.

So uhh... how do we feel about Curse of the Dead Gods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

people also kind of routinely act like approachability is a moral obligation and not just, like, people whining about games being too hard lol

Sure and people bitch about approachability when they fear it interferes with some nebulous sort of credibility they’ve “earned” by playing video games. It’s kind of a pathetic sort of performative fragility and it’s so transparently ignorant that I have a hard time taking it seriously. You can play or skip any game. Something not being to your taste is a personal matter.

I’m razzing you a bit here, but there’s two sides to that coin.

I think there are a number of bad actors whenever this sorta thing comes up, and I think that’s unfortunately a side effect of current politics. People don’t argue in good faith, so I feel you. Often times I see people complaining about accessibility with a clear lack of knowledge or credibility to do so, and I get irritated too. But it’s kind of a stupid complaint and doesn’t really deserve the air it’s often given since it’s usually done to score empty points.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

BexGu posted:

Curse of the Dead Gods is a very good action rogue-lite if you want something to approach (god forgive me for saying this) Dark Souls type of measured high risk/high reward combat compared to the high kinetic energy of Hades.

Cool. I found Hades a little too frenetic to keep up with. It looked really nice based on what I’d seen.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ambaire posted:

That's going to eventually be a feature of sorts for Nova Drift. It takes so long (10-15 minutes) to get a build online and killing stuff efficiently (in the hardest everything enabled mode), and then oftentimes it only goes for another 10 minutes before death to overwhelming and restart. This is the main reason I've shelved it for now.

The dev's going to add a "Draft mode" for a complete build out of the gate. Hope there's an option to save presets.

Hey has the dev ever mentioned ports to console, by the by? I absolutely love the look of this game and want a port.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Cool thanks for this. It just reminds me of all the untapped potential for roguelike principles in other styles of game. People have already made the saliant point, but I always got the most fun out of roguelikes as complex systems to be mastered, just like their arcade counterparts.

How replayable would you say it is? It looks like it has an absolute boatload of obvious and interesting synergies, which makes me think there’s even more less obvious ones. Thing that always worries me about this type of game is not having a big enough build variety.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Wallet posted:

Necromancer is the strongest of the three classes to such an extent that I felt like using anything else on the later chapters would be a massive handicap. Once you unlock the forest and river tiles you can easily build up enough attack speed that the necro can indefinitely summon skeletons faster than almost anything can kill them because summoning doesn't use the stamina system. Once you've done that some of their defensive talents—the one that splits damage you take with your skeletons and the one that heals you every time a skeleton dies in particular—become so strong that you can ignore defensive stats entirely and just gear to make your skeletons as strong as possible.
Covering the world in an army of undead abominations, there is no other way. Not exactly RL obviously, but it reminds me of Necropolis skeleton and zombie deathstacks in Heroes of Might and Magic III.

Which roguelikes have the coolest necromancers?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

perc2 posted:

In short, there are lots of approaches but the majority are a mix of RNG and hand-crafted to varying degrees of success. Very few games use balls-to-the-wall procgen for everything because that's incredibly boring unless you are really going to invest a lot of time into it. A looot.

My dream RL is something like Crawl’s approach where things feel varied enough to be interesting, but with enough depth to keep you coming back. I think procgen gets a pretty bad wrap because of its lazy application but that shouldn’t stop people from trying. In short, the loooot you are talking about should be, to my way of thinking, the goal for the next RL that’s closer to trad than not.

Basically I dream of something that’s just a touch more involved and simulationist than Crawl with boatloads of bespoke elements that get sprinkled throughout to keep the runs fresh, but with a simple enough gameplay loop (i.e. keep it to the monster bashing/loot acquisition) that the game feels manageable. Make it crunchy, but tasty, is the best way I can think to say this.

Which, now that I think of it, perhaps Qud does? I haven’t played it so wouldn’t know, but I imagine it at least tries to hit that sort of note, no? I know it has some recurring elements throughout to hang everything together, but do those elements override any randomness in such a way that it feels incidental?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

Realistically what you'd need to do is create a proc gen system that you can license out to people. Like how back in the day everyone made their own 3d engine, while these days the vast majority of the time you just license one of the existing ones.

brb setting up a kickstarter.

In reality, this actually seems like a pretty good idea since roguelike tropes are kinda in right now.

victrix posted:

Qud is really really close to that imo

Really my biggest problem with qud is it's so good I get mad every time I come back to play it because it's not done yet and I want a proper finale :mad:

That said the current "end" is incredibly loving good

e: I should note it is categorically not "balanced", you can break it all sorts of ways (similarly it can break you in unfair ways and/or buglets) - but it does let you have fun!

Can it be played straight up in term? A lot of games like Brogue are ascii, but stylized and it’s actually a graphical overlay. So screen reader access becomes a no-go.

VVV well that sucks. Thanks.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 10, 2021

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I didn't even get as far as all that in Darkest Dungeon and had no idea it got that bad. It felt like a slog to me from the jump, honestly. It's too bad because the vibe was amazing in that game.

Still, I think disrespect of time is pretty much the biggest faux pas a game can commit these days. There's just too much out there and not enough hours to play. That's exactly why I adore quick, run based games anymore

Hey looks like Star Renegades made its way to ps4. I caught a glimpse a while back. Any good?

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 10, 2021

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Hooplah posted:

Siralim Ultimate hits steam EA tomorrow :toot:

I know they're roguelike adjacent at best, but they've been brought up itt before so i figured a few of you probably appreciate the heads up.

Hey great timing. I was thinking about picking up 3. Have you played it and do you think it’s worth it? Looking at Ultimate, it seems like it’s probably better to just wait. But I need my monster grabbing fix and 3 is pretty cheap. It kinda looks like the first three are interchangeable on a superficial level, but I have to assume that the iterations are actually improvements and not endless wheel spinning from an insane person. I don’t mean this negatively I love a good single-dev passion project.

Broken Cog posted:

Huh, sounds neat. Might pick it up, old Siralim was a really good brainless timewaster.

Can you expand on that description? It looks pretty complex to me, but will skip if it doesn’t have enough depth.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey thanks a bunch. I’ll check out the LP. I’m on console so can’t do EA for Ultimate, but seems there’s a lot to dig into so I’ll just pull the trigger on 3 for the time being.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey that BoI interview is a pro click. Listened to about half of it, and I was literally fistpumping when he talked about catering to all varieties of playstyle. Some unnamed RL developers have a real bad habit of falsely believing that the top 1% of players matter exclusively over everyone else because hey, that’s where the streaming and publicity comes from.

I’ve not played BoI, and at this point there’s a shitload of associated releases. Are they all like expansions? If you get the latest thing, are you getting the whole experience, more or less or what?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

megane posted:

This gets said about a lot of games, and it always sounds like a red flag more than a compliment to me. Because what it suggests is that the developers have chosen a balance where they don't fix things, and instead just raise the challenge to meet them. That makes non-broken builds a waste of time; you're expected to rely on some sort of insane wombo combo. It's tempting to say "it's fun to break the game, leave it that way!," but if you do, the broken strategies inevitably become the only strategies. Which is precisely the problem with high-ascension StS.

I’ve only beaten STS at A0 so take what I’m saying with a grain of salt, but this is exactly why you have multiple tiered difficulty levels. That kind of granularity is going to result in this, eventually. And it’s not like there weren’t all the previous ascensions/covenants/whathaveyous. By the time you’re doing that peak stuff, I’d imagine your options start getting really narrow simply because the challenge gets more punishing. Not real sure how you’d design your way around that other than having less granular difficulties and a lower challenge cap. And that’s all gravy. It took me maybe eight hours or so to clear on A0, and if I never played again I’d be fine with it. But the higher levels of challenge are there if you want them. It’s a bonus.

Black August posted:

Streets of Rogue talk: my favorite aspect is how super-customizable it is, and how little of that punishes you from getting unlocks. It feels like a genuine older game in design philosophy, and I love the arcade feel. I hope the sequel feels like this + GTA 1/2.

After a lot of play, I'd say the very best traits to pick and to upgrade would be Blends In Nicely, Slippery Target, Tank-Like, Penetrating Bullets, Studious, and Teleport-Happy.

Man, I forgot about all those mutators. I tried to jump in coop with a bud, and he wasn’t real into it. Gonna have to revisit. I agree completely. Giving flexibility and options to a player to experience the game the way they’d like is pretty much a net positive every time.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Here’s a weird and highly specific question:

Just got a Switch, and am definitely grabbing Hades and the latest Shiren, but what other roguelikes made it to Switch from PC, but did not make it to PS4? I know a bunch of PC indies were ported to Switch to exclusion of other consoles and I’d like to scoop up some good roguelikes for this thing.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

beer gas canister posted:

Necrodancer, Risk of Rain 2, In Celebration of Violence (way good and often overlooked, think 2D Dark Souls in tone and with heavy slow combat), Into the Breach

e; sorry missed the PS4 qualifier - these are still good Switch roguesques tho

Thanks for these. Some I’ve already played but hadn’t heard of In Celebration of Violence before.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Snackmar posted:

Oof, I just bought Celebration on this suggestion but it's literally impossible to play on the Switch Lite. It should be against platform guidelines to use text and UI elements so small :(

(not blaming you, just want to make sure others know there's potentially an issue)

Hm. That makes me want to give it a pass. drat. I have a normal switch. Got any idea how it would scale up? My eyesight is too lovely to test this with my dollars.

Tiny font needs to go in general, that or make interfaces scalable.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
All this deckbuilder stuff has me wondering something.

Is there a roguelike out there that has an inverse power progression? You start badass and gradually get weaker over the run? I think it would be interesting to play a game of maintaining some semblance of capability as your overall power level declines.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kchama posted:

I don't believe that every deckbuilder is knockoff of Slay The Spire (they're actually knockoffs of Dreamquest or whatever it's called), but the basic gameplay I see is pretty much Slay The Spire with 3D gubbins added on. The classes don't really seem all that interesting and I don't really like how the Block mechanic works.

From my impression, there's really no point in empowering monoliths since that only clears the area around it and candles are more useful. Of course, you can just go without candles since the penalties aren't that big a deal and you get currency for fighting in the Wyrdness.

It's just not very imaginative or interesting on the whole, so it left me deeply unimpressed. The dark, ugly 3D doesn't really do it any favors and the voice acting can be extremely hit or miss. The narrator lady can be pretty good, but the goatman guy sounds like the biggest dunce in existence is trying to sound like a spooky demigod. On the whole, I give it a C.

Edit: Also I hate hate HATE that damage has RNG range to it. It can make it very unclear whether you can take something or not or if you'll absolutely win if you swing. Also the "hits for 100% damage" and what-not cards.

Based on a very limited time just watching someone else play it, I was put off by how fiddly the cards appeared to be. STS is quite simple, really. Where this, to me, looked a lot like complexity for complexity’s sake.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

StarkRavingMad posted:

A useful overview.

Cool. I’m glad my limited first impression was wrong, because I really dig the vibe of it, and I love games with that longer term pressure element. Thanks for the info.

I think trying to pin down the definition of roguelite—a profoundly ugly word to my ear btw—is a fool’s errand. There’s just too much active experimentation branching off in too many directions. The ideas of procedural/permadeath/run based are just tools taken from the traditional RL genre so I think it’ll take some years before a clear notion of genre shakes out for games like these.

I just internally divide games into two piles, old people trad stuff, and all the rest. As half an old this lets me yell at clouds.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 3, 2021

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Did anybody try out Banners of Ruin? Looks like it recently hit full release? Asking for a bud, the aesthetic isn’t really my jam and I still haven’t wrung all the gameplay possible out of STS yet.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

victrix posted:

I didn't like it, the overall flow felt worse to me than most of the other similar card games, and I found reading all the enemy intent icons annoyingly muddy because of the increased number of units on your team + multiple rows and columns to target

Yeah from a quick glance it looked overloaded, and my bud isn’t keen on things that are mechanically overcomplicated. I tried to get her into STS so I don’t know why she wants to play this one, but I’ll tell her to give it a pass thanks.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah Dominions and its ilk always came across to me as impenetrable. That said they're loads of fun to read about. What I'm saying is if someone gets into COE and wants to write about it, do.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Mithross posted:

CoE5 Report:
Playing as a High Cultist, worshiping the Old Ones and waiting for the stars. Wander down south and end my turn on a Stonehenge (they apparently aren't as rare in Elysium, and so the singular is necessary). In the night an invisible ethereal Interdimensional Horror attacks my camp, slaughtering my entire force... except for my High Cultist and his apprentice, who roll incredibly well and land a charm spell. Now my Army has a Soulshatter Horror the size of an elephant who, when I looked at his abilities, has a 1d999 attack. 50 hp is very high in this game.

edit: Several turns later the AI sent a lone Unexpected Hero with no army to come take stuff from me. He is now being eternally digested in the nth dimension. Sorry kid, them's the breaks.

Straight into my loving veins!

This reminds me of something. Not real sure what thread I’d even post this in.

So Heroes of Might and Magic III was pretty much the game that got me gaming seriously. I know Ubisoft ended up with the license, and my understanding is that they kinda ran the series into the ground. 1C did King’s Bounty: The Legend. King’s Bounty 2, believe it or not, is coming out on the 24th. But it looks kinda weird, and I’m not sure if it’ll be any good.

Has anyone tried what is essentially the Heroes/KB formula in roguelike form? It seems like it would fit well.

Barring that and I know it’s OT, but did anything at all pick up where HoMM left off besides Age of Wonders?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Chin Strap posted:

I'm hoping to see console ports of JH given how good controller is

I popped into the discord and asked about this because I thought it was releasing on consoles too. Answer I got is he wants to do it but it would involve a substantial rewrite so don't hold your breath. But eh if it does well, here's hoping.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

What do you think about endless modes or score attacks in games? I had a huge argument with someone that was adamant that they should not exist because you were expected to lose eventually

Has your friend heard of Tetris? Lol

Someone asked about Crown Trick a couple pages ago, and I was wondering too. I’ve been on the fence about it for some time and I seem to recall someone in this thread having played it? Any good?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Metaprogression is funny to me.

On the one hand it’s a smooth onramp to games with a lot of potential mechanical depth. On the other, it’s a stupid artificial way to bloat playtime.

As far as I’m concerned, there’s no good reason to have it in most games, and I’d even say that Hades, which is probably the best implementation of it I’ve seen, still goes too far once you’ve gotten pretty deep into the game, like I’m talking the grind for the epilogue where all you really need is blood. The relationships as metaprogression is fine to me, because the reward is narrative, mostly. The companion summons are pretty cool, but by the time you get them you’re clearing regularly and really don’t need them, they’re really just a cool rewarding bonus rather than anything required to complete a run. They can salvage a run where a build didn’t come together fast enough, but that’s just about it, and it’s trivially easy once you understand how a build works to just force it with the tools you’re given, so even in those cases it’s kind of pointless, if cute.

To me, metaprogression feels like padding. It’s fine, if the base experience is good enough that you’re having fun the whole while, but hamstringing the base experience for the sake of it is dumb as hell, not to mention arrogant from a dev perspective. I hate this notion that players won’t know wtf to do with your mechanics if you don’t spoon feed them.

In writing, it’s often said that one should trust the reader to figure out the ambiguous spaces in the narrative. I feel the same way about metaprogression in games. At best, they’re offering you a very slow introduction to the game proper, and it comes off as patronizing. At worst, it’s pure number bloat cynically implemented to force you to keep playing.

At its very best, it’s just another sort of skinner box, even if it does offer new options for play. If the experience at base, like in Hades, is good enough to keep your interest, then all you’re doing is rewarding players who’ve dumped shitloads of extra time into your game, and that will always bug me on some level, because roguelikes have always been about mastering systems in clever ways. I don’t mind personally if that initial experience is overwhelming, because mastery and execution are the rewards. That kind of dopamine hit, while bigger and more delayed than the drip drip drip of unlocks and options, is way loving better because it’s intrinsic to the human holding the controller.

Unironically, also, every single drat game should offer a cheat menu with a barrier of exactly zero effort to trivialize the game. No exceptions. Everything from big budget mainstream poo poo all the way down to the most groggy programmer art passion project needs this. Trying to define the “right experience(tm(“ is horse poo poo of the highest order.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

Gonna heartily disagree with this. I actually play with a good friend regularly in co-op games, some roguelite, and watch him play single player horror stuff on streams he does. He's fun to play with, we share the same sense of humor, and my loving god he is terrible at games sometimes. Like misses or outright ignores the most basic explanations/signs a game provides and then complains the game is too hard/obtuse or doesn't make sense. Even really basic games with like, basic movement and maybe two buttons to interact with he will just totally fail at despite good/obvious tutorials. Sometimes it is just because he's rambling and not paying attention, but even when he focuses on something he can miss the most obvious things.

Not everyone is a gamer who's played video games for a long time and can intuit mechanics or instantly grasp how to use the tools given them to a game. It'd be more arrogant of a dev to assume you'll instantly understand how their game works and thus be fine without any kind of tutorial-izing whatsoever. I'd go so far as to say meta-progression is simply an evolution of basic tutorials to ease players in to a game while still being able to play the game itself instead of some super controlled hand hold-y tutorial. Meta prog can be done poorly or it can be done well of course.

Yeah I mean you’re not wrong, but that’s why I think games should have a robust set of cheat/difficulty options. If someone’s having a hard time, they tweak a couple sliders, dive back in, and can pick up on whatever mechanic they misunderstood by virtue of being able to barrel right through it.

It’s not ideal. Some people can’t separate the idea of using options like this from the notion that their credibility as a gamer lol is being shredded. So you’ll inevitably have folks go “Um I don’t need that poo poo,” all while ignoring these types of mitigating options, but you’ll never be able to save players from themselves.

Ironically, this is one of the things that Hades’ metaprogression does well. Functionally, the mirror talents and god mode, while delivered over time through the means of metaprogression, are the sorts of things that allow you to gently caress up fantastically while integrating mechanical lessons into your play. Look at the whole deal with fresh file challenges. I bet a not insignificant number of those players were absolute poo poo at Hades when they started, but by using the training wheels the game offers, they’ve gotten better despite themselves.

I just think it’s a mistake to deliver those tools the way that Supergiant did, despite how great they are.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The companion summons are vitally important for their ability to produce funny reactions when used against Hades :colbert:

I’ve committed a grave oversight and beg forgiveness.

KNR posted:

I agree with the first half of this, there are plenty of good reasons people cheat at videogames. But strongly disagree with the second. That cheat menu should come with a disclaimer that using those cheats is not, in fact, the "right experience". Going through a roguelike in wizard mode can be a useful tool to learn and experiment or it can just be fun, but in a meaningful way it is not actually playing the game.

I think that’d depend on the nature of the modification you’re making to the game, really. Like, again, if you take base Hades as the example. Some of those mirror talents are really potent. To the extent that one of the heat challenges is removing them. But I don’t think anybody would say they’re violating the spirit of Hades design, since it was made with the expectation that players would use them. A well-designed game is flexible enough to allow a range of difficulty shifts and not break. What I think we have in this attitude you’re offering up is a failure to imagine new design spaces. Not every game has to aspire to this sort of inclusive design, but I think we’d be richer for this being a kind of norm. Talking down to players for not understanding developer vision is just kinda alienating. When art is released into the world, it ceases belonging to its maker. That’s just a fact.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 20, 2021

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Heat Signature?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Got Crown Trick because it was too cheap not to.

Just played a couple hours, but I have a random bunch of thoughts.

Dungeons are pretty dull, just corridors connecting a series of square-ish rooms. Only in the initial part of the game so this might change, but I doubt it. Also, no corridor hijinks because the rooms with enemies in them lock you in.

They give you a refreshable blink, inherent to your character. I guess the idea is that if you break enemies (just a sort of stun threshold mechanic), and do so with a number of them simultaneously, you can refresh the blink. I really don’t know how I feel about this, because it turns your encounters more into puzzles than fights.

Adding further to that puzzle feeling is that even though this is a tiled, turn-based RL akin to Dungeonmans, Crawl, etc, the enemies seem to have pre-defined idle behavior, instead of gunning right for the player. So sometimes you’ll see them and have to wait a few turns for the optimal moment to blink and setup your multibreak, in order to refresh your blink and do it again later? Wile it’s nice to execute a winning set of blinks and attacks, I could see this getting stale, especially since I bet the arenas themselves aren’t procedural, just prefabs that are laid at appropriate points in the mazes.

Some of the weapons seem neat. I think they’re also prefab, since I have seen repeats. Not sure though. Anyway, of the what, four or five types I’ve run into, they all seem to have a sort of gimmick attached. Like, restore some MP for every fifth attack, etc. etc. That is in addition to the gimmick of the weapon class. Axes arc in front of you, spears attack out two tiles, rifles pierce but need to be reloaded, so on. But on top of the base way the weapon acts, seems every single one has an additional, mechanical incentive to play it a certain way. Think like a Diablo Legendary or a Hades boon, a definite setup pointing out where to lean to make them work. The problem is, you get so many so often, that it’s hard to stick with one. As far as I can tell there’s no incentive to stick with one particular weapon unless your items and skills really work well together to enhance it.

It’s got a cute presentation, music is interesting, environments are dull, but until Jupiter Hell came out, I’d say it was probably the highest production value tile-based RL there was. It and Shiren, more or less.

I dunno. It’s a cool game. I’m having fun with it, but I’m sure there’s some flawed design in here. Still, definitely worth the like $5 I paid for it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I wish I liked Dead Cell more than I do right now.
The actual combat and exploration are very good and fun but everything else ruins the game for me.

Yuuuup.

Me trying Dead Cells: “These controls are perfection. Wait that guy did what? Wait how does this bit work? Oh there’s two years worth of balance changes making most online help worthless? Yeah nah I’m good.”

Best controlling game I’ll never bother playing again. And it seems the devs don’t really have a consistent clear vision for how their game ought to look in a balance sense. It’s really too bad when the core of it is so stellar.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Maybe I’m a bit biased since it was my first RL, but I’ve always thought more devs should borrow from Nethack’s obnoxiously arcane number of weird interactions.

I know internet being what it is, half this poo poo gets datamined within a month after something comes out, but that kind of dedication to a very specific feeling of elaborate death trap hasn’t really been recreated in anything modern. I get why, it’s not great design as such. But it’s a lot of fun.

The closest thing I can think of that kinda sorta draws from Nethack would, weirdly enough, be Spelunky. There’s plenty of little overt references—the way shops work, killing Vlad, etc. etc—but it’s that feeling that the player needs to be aware of obscure interactions to make the most of a run that I think borrows most openly from it.

Too bad about the sequel, which bloated the design till it was lousy with stuff like that, but it did make for a fascinating first month when 2 came out.

E: Reminds me, and I’m sure y’all read these already, but John Harris used to write for Game Set Watch, did a column on roguelikes called @play, and has since compiled that column into a book. He also did another, specifically on the Shiren series. It’s not quite as good, but it is pretty interesting. Anyway, he’s got a tremendous love for Nethack and there’s a whole article about these kinds of interactions.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/29431489-play

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 29, 2022

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

This is Caves of Qud erasure and I will not stand for it.

I think my favourite Qud story (not mine, sadly) is the player who tamed an astral tabby (which is constantly out of phase, and can thus pass through walls and stuff but also can't usually interact with the material world), then used SPACE DRUGS to give it cybernetic arms so it could wield guns, and armed it with a phase cannon, which lets you hit out-of-phase targets -- or, if you're out of phase, lets you hit ones that are in-phase

And then spent the rest of the game being followed around by a cyborg ghost cat who would just pop out of a wall and start gunning down enemies from the safety of the astral plane

Ugh. The coolest game I literally can’t play. That sounds amazing.

Don’t wanna do a whole accessibility derail, but doesn’t it use a fake console for its ascii mode? I seem to remember there was some kind of weird rendering that wouldn’t let me use a screen reader to play it.

Of all the modern throwback RLs, that’s the one I’m most interested in.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Sure haven’t. TBH bringing this sort of thing up usually gets crickets. Things are getting better though.

Plus, deep backlog, you know.

Can’t hurt to toss out a PM I suppose.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah PMed him and it sounds like it’s on the radar but not immediate priority to allow raw console. Either way, maybe I can blow poo poo up big enough to read it. Really appreciate communicative/good devs. It’s def not the norm.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

megane posted:

This is like saying a company is the best on the market at controlling their pollution because they hand out gas masks and little squeegees to scrape it off your windows. The fact that your inventory is sortable and filterable is nice, sure. However, the fact that you have the slightest need to do so means the game is generating way too much crap. And a huge fraction of that trash - and I mean like 90% of it - is trivially marked as utterly useless by a simple “this is not a sword -> useless” filter. So why are we generating it in the first place?

e: There’s a mod which does precisely what I’m describing; you mark item types you don’t care about (so, nearly everything) and it silently dumps them into the gold-conversion box. And there’s STILL huge piles of poo poo to sort through.

For some reason people actually like this though. I’ve always viewed it as a problem and solution created to a one by designers unwilling to rethink convention.

When I saw, for instance, that PoE required loot filters right from the jump, I bailed. No amount of build-depth could make me play something like that.

Lizard brains are hosed up.

Also, image captions when offered are awesome. Awful app just pretends images don’t exist with Voiceover, and that means alt-text is not available. The consideration is appreciated.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kanos posted:

ToME shares a lot of DNA with ARPGs in terms of combat flow and loot distribution. Developers making games in the action RPG genre have focus grouped cutting down on extraneous trash loot that no one would ever use like white-quality weapons and stuff and found that their testers enjoyed the game less if the only loot that dropped was relevant, because for a lot of people good items felt less special to get if you weren't preconditioned to expect a flood of garbage all the time.

I can kind of see it. Every time I do a ToME run I'm always excited to go to huge loot pile zones like Sandworm, the Maze, Ruined Dungeon, or Vor Armory just to see what kind of stuff pops up.

Much better put than my snarky lizard brain hot take.

It’s just that the more games there are, and holy gently caress there’s a glut of good ones nowadays, why the hell would loot sifting be fun? Cause finding treasure in junk piles is fun, that’s why.

But I dream of a game where there’s just a shitload of inventive egos, everything is unbalanced, and the question is less “Is this good?” and more, “Why is this good and in what unique ways can I take advantage of it?”

Seems to me there’s no reason other than tradition to keep on the way we’re going with that.

Jazerus posted:

poe is actually really good and the loot filters are braindead simple to set up. if you just get the premade one everyone uses it's basically just "if the item is worth your time it will show up, if not then it doesn't". if you have slightly different opinions about what is worthwhile then you can adjust it easily too.

like yeah it's bad that they drop a bunch of trash from a performance perspective, but ultimately it's just a legacy engine quirk that they are afraid to change because any major change in poe could have ridiculous unpredictable knock-on effects. it is not something you should let drive you away

Oh I don’t hate PoE on principle or anything. I think it’s the most fascinating take on ARPGs I never want to personally play. I just feel like it’s kinda player hostile up front. Some people see that as opportunity, but I have a broken brain that feels obligated to understand everything up front and thus can’t find a way to have fun with it. That could have been obviated by the skills feeling meaty and satisfying at low levels, but they just didn’t, to me anyway. So on the shelf it went.

Say what you will of D3, and there’s plenty to complain about there, but those are the best feeling ARPG skills bar none, I think. And I will never understand why other developers don’t seem to put the time in to make things with crunch and heft.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

ToME would need like an optional trash goblin that perches on my shoulder, that sifts through the crap for me, eats it, and poops out gold or something. Optional for people who like goldpanning.

This should be standard issue everywhere.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

I want to call attention to this game because it's cool, it's almost 2 years into EA now and has improved a lot, it's doing something that AFAIK no other game is attempting (run-based JRPG roguelite), and it was kind of wonky when it first came out so it never got much attention or sales.

Time Break Chronicles
$15

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256826342/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1616002945

I’ve never slammed the buy button on something so fast.

Thanks for mentioning it.

As far as The Last Spell goes, did they fix the things that I heard complaints about from a year or so ago? It’s extremely my poo poo and now all I’m hearing are positive things.

IIRC it was mostly metaprogression poo poo and the relative imbalance of weapon types that I heard the most complaining about.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

Speaking as someone who was unimpressed with the initial release, it's good. Metaprogression is imo fun now, there's two metaprogression "paths" - one tied to just killing large numbers of zombos, and the other to various achievements like deal x damage at once, reach x max health or mana or level etc.

There's a lot different weapons and so far they all seem pretty viable in the right build or gear combo.

Awesome thanks. I’ve been out of PC gaming for about fifteen years and coming back has been a delight. Excited to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just picked up Rogue Legacy 2 based on it coming to Switch and all the positive buzz around here.

Anything I should know going in?