Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

In Caves of Qud, is it intended that sometimes The Asphalt Mines doesn't spawn any stairs? My previous character had a flamethrower, which was awesome, so I decided to go harvest some oil on this new character on the anticipation of a blueprint popping up sometime, but I've been in the Asphalt Mines center square and checked all adjacent squares and I can't see any stairs down. Is it just impossible for me to get any oil now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Unormal posted:

V- It's a bug, noclip down. I'll see if I can fix it in a bug patch this weekend.

Thanks for the response. Caves of Qud is a pretty fun game, good work on it!

EDIT: Don't feel obligated to push out a patch or anything just because I asked. Don't want to burn you out or anything.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

A Mech Tournament Game (name can be improved)

I've been at a conference for most of this week so it's been a little late to write this up. Unfortunately my one document is a mix between concept and first-pass implementation details but it should give a good idea of how I want it to play out. It will probably at best have programmer art and at worse be ascii/colored squares but we'll see how that goes.

If any of our hosts do pick me I'd prefer you actually buy the sprites for somebody else because I hate doing frontend/graphics stuff and my focus and interest is more on mechanics and (hopefully) the genetic algorithm gimmick I'm going for.

Also I wrote this in org mode and it's monospace font and all the tables and stuff work but SA isn't so I'll clean it up...sometime.

* Summary
You're a mech pilot in a tournament. Many of the other opponents
have long histories, and in order to defeat them you have to
watch their matches and derive their strategies to counter
them. The emphasis of this game is on predicting the strategies
of the AI. Each round should be not more than a couple minutes of
play time, but the prep time might be up to ten.

* Game Flow
** Sketch
+ Ready Room (start)
- View prior recordings of opponents
- View upcoming matches
- Equip mech (possibly limited)
- Enter battle
+ Battle until win/loss/death
- Can die by damage to torso
- Can surrender at any time

* Pilot perks
** Goals
+ Perks do not change the action set
+ Perks are competitive with each other
+ Choosing different bonuses will alter playstyle

** Sketch
All pilot perks are simply flat bonuses to actions. For example,
a pilot might have "+3 to targeted shots" and "+2 to dodge". They
are bought on a point-buy system at the start of the game, and
are constant afterwards. AI pilots also have the same point-buy
system.

* Opponents
** Goals
+ You can watch an AI and predict how it will act
+ AI will occasionally surprise you with new behaviour
+ AI has a viewable 'strategy' and acts consistently within it
+ AI improves over training runs
+ The AI's strategy matches its pilot's bonuses

** Sketch
Opponents use trigger-based AI on conditions. Basically, a bunch
of "If/then" statements which evaluate in order. It will however
be a flat structure with no complex boolean logic.

The ability to 'optimize' the AI will come an evolutionary
algorithm, which is the real meat and potatoes of the
game. Enemies will be generated with random strong bonuses and
penalties, and then will be run through a not-yet-refined genetic
algorithm whose fitness function is the win time in a series of
simulated matches.

This should hopefully lead to each AI pilot having a unique and
distinct playstyle and mech. If it ends up converging on every
pilot always having the same playstyle and mech, despite a
diverse starting set, then I will know I need to rebalance.

*** Evolutionary Algorithm Sketch
Uses a genetic algorithm. Since I don't know much about genetic
algorithms and this is supposed to be a week-long thing, it will
be relatively simple.

+ Genes will be defined as if/else statements
+ Two types of genes, builder genes and pilot genes
+ Chromosomes fixed length
+ Selects with tournament; additionally, keeps best
+ Utilizies two-point crossover and mutation

This will produce the series of if/else statements that will
build a mech and pilot it.

I have no idea how this will work out at all and I'm not sure I
can accomplish it during the time period, so I'll focus on
building the game first. If there isn't time left I'll hand-roll
the AI instead of attempting to set this up.

* Combat Flow
** Goals
+ All possible actions clearly laid out
+ No unfair surprise cases
+ Allows for tactical positioning and fire
+ Encourages degrading functionality over direct destruction

** Sketch
*** Movement Actions
+ Activate boosters
+ Move

*** Weapon Actions
+ Swap weapons
+ Fire weapons

*** Turns
Combat is divided using Time Units. Each action takes a fixed
amount of Time Units. There are two phases - Movement and Fire,
which resolve in that order. Mechs have a Speed, which is time
between movement phases. Weapons have a Cooldown, which is time
between firings.

Movement and Fire phases are asynchronous, but if a weapon is not
fired during its fire phase it comes up during the next Movement
phase.

*** Turn Example
Alice: Speed=25, Shotgun Cooldown=50
Bob: Speed=20, AR Cooldown=12
Initiative roll gives Alice the advantage.
| Time | Pilot | Moved? | Fired? | Next Move At | Next Fire At |
|------+-------+--------+--------+--------------+--------------|
| 0 | A | Y | N | 25 | 25 |
| 0 | B | Y | N | 20 | 20 |
| 20 | B | Y | Y | 40 | 32 |
| 25 | A | N | Y | 50 | 75 |
| 32 | B | - | Y | 40 | 44 |
| 40 | B | Y | - | 60 | 44 |
| 44 | B | - | Y | 60 | 56 |
| 50 | A | Y | - | 75 | 75 |

*** Switching Weapons/Consumables
You should be able to switch weapons before or after firing. How
exactly? Unsure, but you should be able to fire your bazooka and
then draw pistols and fire. You should *not* be able to 'nade and
then switch back to your other weapon.

* Mech Design
** Goals
+ Allows for clearly 'strategy-based' builds
+ Allows for a wide variety of strategies
+ Builds can be optimized over training runs
+ Allows for strategy counters

** Sketch
Mechs have 5/6 parts - head, torso, arms, legs. It would be nice
to have different types of legs, but that's definitely an extra
thing.

Each part has two types of HP - external and internal
HP. Internal HP is just normal HP, external is slot-based. So
it's inverse of BT's system.

Different areas will have different amounts of exterior slot
space.

For first-pass, mechs will be custom-built.

*** Slots & Taking Damage
Slots are the method of mounting items and equipment. Slots are
used also in taking damage. If an item in a slot is hit, it is
rendered inoperable.

Items mounted in slots have a size attribute. When body parts
take hits, all the items in the area are translated into an
imaginary line with the sizes as the number of points on the
line. Then a random point is chosen to be damaged.

For example, given an arm with a medium holster, arm actuators,
and four armor pieces, you would have the following:
| Holster | Actuators | Armor | Armor | Armor | Armor |
| .. | .. | .... | .... | .... | .... |
Then a random number from 0-19 would be chosen, and that index
would take the damage.

Internals have a number of hit points equal to half their slots
(round up) and will be destroyed when their hit points reach
zero.

E: Deleted a bunch of tables/un-decided implementation details

MuffiTuffiWuffi fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 5, 2016

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Zarick posted:

I keep seeing a bunch of people reference Python when talking about making roguelikes. Is that the language most of them use? I'd like to play around with one maybe, but all I know any of is JavaScript.

I was recommended Python for my 7DRL entry because it is relatively easy to start up in and there's the libtcod library which can handle a lot of stuff. Specifically it has FOV, LOS, and pathfinding functionality and it makes it really easy to do an ASCII frontend. So if you're not fussed with rich graphics it's a good way to get some out-of-the-box functionality.

There's a tutorial here I followed and then built off of: http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_python%2Blibtcod which I found to be pretty good. Level of effort for yhe tutorial if you already know a programming language is probably a week of free time, a few days of full time.

There's some weird issues wih Python versioning but if you do use that tutorial and library just remember you want Python 2.7.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Congratulations to the winners!

Concerning the discord, I Googled reddit roguelike discord and found a link to this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/4ufyna/roguelikes_discord_chat_with_your_friends_from/

Bert of the Forest posted:

Also I'll gladly throw my game dev experience hat into the ring via this discord everyone is discussing - I'm a visual artist who learned to program through brute force so I'd be happy to help contribute to the stage of helping y'all get over the learning hump. My starting tip- don't worry about writing GOOD code at this stage- just hack together something playable asap and learn as you go. Steal the poo poo out of code from tutorials and forums and only come back and fix poo poo as needed.

My computer science buddy would kill me for saying that but for the rest of us who aren't geniuses this is the method that will get you to a place where you feel comfortable with your tools the quickest in my experience.

This is good advice. Another piece of advice I'd add to this is that if you think there's even a remote possibility that somebody's done what you're doing before, don't start off by trying to write it yourself! Google for it and see if you can yank it. Commonly implemented things would be pathfinding, line-of-sight, map generation, anything that's commonly used. You might even be able to find a library somebody's packaged up nicely.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

A gif of the current state of my game:

I have locational damage working, which is good, but I don't have any concept of time/turns yet. I haven't touched the AI either, the main selling point. Got a little less than three weeks left. The decision to essentially roll my own engine is not a great one for actually shipping something. It's a lot of fun though, and I'm learning quite a bit!

Fortunately I have a week and a half of vacation coming up at the end of the month that should afford more time to work on it than the hour/two hours per day I'm spending now.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

What did you use to record this?

I used gooncam, which is fairly simple and captures from your screen.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

My first roguelike was Baroque, for the Wii. I think it was released on the PS2 and the version I played was a remake. I don't think I've ever talked to anybody else (other than my brother, who I played it with) who had heard of it before.

It wasn't turn-based and it was a 3rd-person character action game, so it might not be a Strictly According To The Definition Roguelike, but the character action was extremely slow, when you died you lost all your items and XP, and there was a hunger clock.

It was also really, really strange. It had easily the most unique meta-progression system I've seen for any roguelike. There was the boring "Occasionally you can store an item in a vault for your next life" kind of thing, but the interesting part was that other characters in the game would start to change their reactions/positions/actions to you as you died and re-entered the tower. I remember one of the characters - I think it was the lady-in-a-bag? who I found buried in the ground up to the waist after one of the runs. I wasn't sure what I did to cause that.

Also at one point I think I killed one of them, and then in another run they accused me and that freaked me out. Though to be honest I'm not sure that actually happened. That game feels like a fever dream to me.

I kinda wanna go see if I can dig it up and replay it now.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Somebody else who played Baroque!

Did you manage get to the end? I distinct remember never being able to beat it.

I did go back and beat the tutorial dungeon once. That was pretty weird.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Posted in Discord, realized I should probably post here.

I'm doing a 7DRL and will have a playable thing up by the time the library closes and maybe sooner, which will be in about...three and a half hours. Also my period ends Saturday, 10.00 am, so I'm going to get some energy drinks and terrible snacks on the way back and pretend I'm back in college.

Anyways. Here's the concept I started with:

code:
# One-Sentence Summary

Scout out enemy locations, lay out your plan of attack, and then execute your
flawless plan and bring down your foes in an instant!

# Concept

You need to plan, and plan well! Your character has two modes. The first mode is
essentially a "normal" mode; you can move around, you can equip and unequip
items, you can bump attack. In this mode you're stealthy, but weak - enemies can
shoot you or rocket you and you won't have much chance to dodge them.

When you're in the second mode, "focus" mode (I need to come up with a better
name) you turn into a whirlwind of destruction. You can move multiple times a
turn, deflect bullets, dodge rockets, and cut enemies to shreds as you zoom past
them. The only catch is that you can't control your character directly in focus
mode - instead, you lay out a plan when you enter focus mode which your
character will execute.

Entering focus mode has a certain time cost, during which you'll be
vulnerable. Also, focus mode won't be so strict that you can't plan - you'll be
able to build in decision points that you can switch between plans during, as
part of your planning, and you can exit out of focus mode if you realize you've
made a really bad plan.

That's the most basic explanation. The game flow will be something like:

+ Scout Area
+ Discover Enemies And Observe Traits (you'll be able to tell if an enemy has
  rockets, guns, grenades, whether they'll be liable to approach or run, etc,
  etc)
+ Plan
+ Execute plan in Focus mode
+ Possibly abort and run away to try again
+ Repeat until mission complete

# Turns and Time

Both in "normal" and "focus" mode, enemies and you will take turns in order,
with turn order being super boring and standard (you go, each one of them goes,
then you go, repeat).

However, in focus, you will have the ability to execute an increased number of
actions per turn.

This actually boils down to the concept of AP! In normal mode, everything
(moving, attacking, observing) takes one point of AP. In focus mode, you have a
bunch more AP and optional abilities that aren't available to normal mode.
When I get a build up I'll ping in Discord, as well as here. If anybody would take the time to play around with it I'd really appreciate that.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Oh right, I said I'd post my 7DRL thing in here. It's done! I mean, technically done.

I mean, you can play it and theoretically win it.

As you might expect from something made in 7 days (in a work week, too) it's pretty feature-bare, but hey! it's a thing!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rj413pje4ht8qlh/ARougelikeWhereYouPlanYourMoves.zip?dl=0

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

There are a lot of games with not-so-great implementations of physical damage types, but there is at least one with an excellent implementation!

You said that Fire Emblem was an inspiration, but it's very careful about how it does it and most other games with physical damage types...aren't.

+ Fire Emblem damage types are extremely readable - they color-code them and tie them to specific graphical aspects of the unit, so you can always tell really quickly exactly what they're strong/weak against.
+ They're universally applicable, as every melee unit has a type.
+ Damage types in Fire Emblem are really powerful - while they won't make a unit with low attack one-shot a tanky one, the bonuses they give are too large to ignore. It varies from game to game but they tend to be fairly dramatic bonuses to accuracy and/or damage.
+ Weapon types are a defensive consideration as well as an offensive one. When you're picking a specific unit with a color, you're not just determining how much damage you do, but also how much damage you take! This introduces an aspect of risk that you need to manage.

Compare that to say, Dark Souls:

+ Dark Souls slash/strike/thrust types are enumerated when you equip a weapon, but when using it against an enemy it doesn't give you any good feedback on whether it's a good idea or not. You run into an enemy and start hitting it, and notice you do less damage, but is the reason you're doing less damage because it's strong against your damage type, or because it has a ton of defenses in general? You have to try different types out and then mentally normalize across them to compensate for the fact that the Cestus has a different base damage than the Estoc and it's a huge bother.
+ They are universally applicable, and most enemies do in fact have a weakness/resistance that you could take into account, but...
+ They're not too powerful to ignore in most cases. There are other systems in the game, such as weapon choice and weapon upgrading, that mean that even if you know an enemy is weak to thrust you might still be better off using Strike because your giant hammer is a +5 and your rapier isn't upgraded at all. In fact the innate weapon differences are so dramatic usually mean you want to just pick a good weapon and use that weapon forever, rather than swapping depending on your foe.
+ You will literally never change your defensive equipment to respond to an enemy physical damage type. I mean, fashion souls and spiffiest hats and stuff, sure, but even if you're looking to not die there's no defensive aspect to the damage type system.

I mean, that is kind of not an apples-to-apples comparison. Dark Souls is a single-character game and Fire Emblem has a dozen units running around on a map. But there's no reason you couldn't apply the same lessons to a single-character game.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd say there kind of is, and it's that with Fire Emblem, the reason there are the differences is because you have multiple avenues to solve a problem. It's giving you obstacles, and the tools to overcome them. If a roguelike has an enemy show up that just blares "Hope you've got a way to stab me because I'm only weak to being stabbed!" and the player has never invested in stabbing, you're not making a better game, you're just, at best, making them grumble and pull out their back-up stabby weapon, then switch right back to the one they actually like as soon as they're done.

I do agree that most roguelikes don't give you those tools, but there's no reason a roguelike couldn't. For example, investing in stabbing is true for, say, DCSS. But there are also roguelikes like Brogue where your character is your equipment (Brogue doesn't do the physical damage types thing though).

You'd have to be very careful about drop rates and consistency and stuff though, and add some aspect that isn't just "outgoing damage" to the system.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Tangledeep's out o-

Too slow, I guess.

Anyways, if you didn't get it through kickstarter you can get it now at 10% off!

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Mystic Stylez posted:

Which one is easier and/or better suited to beginners, DC:SS or Dungeonmans?

Dungeonmans is definitely easier, and probably a lot more intuitive for a total beginner. You'll still die a bunch, but each subsequent character gets some bonuses to help out so you don't fully lose all your progress every death like most Roguelikes.

Just remember to use your consumanles.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Jeza posted:

First time floating orb lady, second time Paladin. Pally I was stacking the bread and butter Debuff strike thing and then calling down Divine lightning bolts in AoE. But generally I just get facepounded by the explosions of his minions which I can't avoid, and I can't really reach them to clear them out first.

If you weren't using flask the whole time, make sure you start early. It doesn't heal much per turn and it can't really be used as a reactive heal, so use it preventatively. Also, bring some food and remember to eat it.

If you're having difficulty with doing enough damage go buy some damage consumables before you go up onto the boss floor. The shurikens are particularly nice.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

So I was inspired to try playing ADOM as a result of reading this thread and I've been playing it since Friday. I've only gotten to level 12 but I think...I think I love it.

It's extremely janky, but, like, I really like certain types of jank, so instead of being unbearable it's great! I haven't gotten anything past the early game though, so maybe it gets really bad later. It kinda reminds me of Elona, except way more focused. I wonder if the Elona guy took inspiration from it?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Went to the RL Celebration of preparty thing and meet Biskup! That was pretty cool! He has a talk tomorrow with a bunch of announcements regarding ADOM, which I picked up like, last week because everybody was talking about how janky it is.

So that was cool. Any if y'all going to the main thing?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

zirconmusic posted:

Speaking of difficulty, modes and such:

How do you guys feel about game modifiers? i.e. Being able to switch certain features/balance settings on/off, make the game easier, harder, or more chaotic? As long as it's clear this is a "custom" mode of course

Do you mean difficulty settings at the start, or things you can do in game that change the challenge level? It sounds more like the first one and my feeling with that is it's fine, possibly great, as long as you never call it a custom mode and it doesn't seem like one.

E: that last bit might be a bit vague. Most people will play on the default. More options better but in order to know things about the options the user needs to already have played the game some, so by the time you bother with the fiddly bits you already know what is going on. Unless it's like, a make three game better button, why play on the custom mode instead of playing the game everybody else plays?

MuffiTuffiWuffi fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 15, 2017

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

I consider Invisible Inc the gold standard for game modifiers. You can punch up or disable every system in the game and give yourself zero to infinity rewinds and restarts. Perfect both for learning the game at your own pace or making it exactly as hard as you want it.

Do you know if the devs have talked about usage of those modifiers? Like, what percentage of players ever change any of the difficulty settings?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

zirconmusic posted:

(RIP Steamspy)

Did something happen to SteamSpy? It seems to still - wait, it's a paid service now? What? When did that happen?

Huh.

E: Apparently the dude's making like $10k a month on Patreon. Well, I mean, sure, I can't really begrudge him turning that into his full-time, but that's kind of awkward for all us who just used it once in a while to look things up.

MuffiTuffiWuffi fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 19, 2018

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Jeza posted:

Sort of let this thread slip off my radar, anything good and new and roguelike-y I should be aware of? i.e. stuff that has left EA, or something in EA that has reached a sort of critical mass of content to be worth picking up?

Last thing I remember was Cogmind.

Are you aware of Tangledeep? It's not got any particularly revolutionary or super novel features in it but it's extremely solid and a lot of fun.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Anybody here going to Roguelike Celebration, in SF this weekend? Last year was a good time and I'm excited for the weekend. I know goon devs Zircon and Madjack are going, as well as a bunch of other random Roguelike devs.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Vertigon posted:

Holy shitballs it's been a while since I've visited.

Over the last couple of years I've been working on my auto combat roguelike that sprouted from the lumpy mass of my 2016 7DRL entry, and while I've put out a few video updates, I haven't really let anyone try it out.

No longer! It's a small slice, but a work-in-progress build of Auto Fire is now on Itch.
https://vertigon.itch.io/auto-fire

Hoping to show it off at the RogueCel this weekend, but hey why not just put it out? Your feedback is welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R-qV5Yn9Ik

Edit: OBSERVE me being terrible at embedding!

That looks great, I assume you're going to be doing a thing at the Saturday arcade? Is that something you're doing as a solo dev or are the other folks on the project?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Star Traders: Frontiers counts right, do we have a thread? It's on phones too now which it really suits. It has easier settings with no permadeath though.

Bit of a hard game to explain, has massive depth once you get past the strange surface.

Star Traders is great! Does it actually work well on phones? It seems like everything would be just way too small.

We do have a thread for it here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856470 but it's not very active.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Angryhead posted:

Been a bit since I posted an update, but we've steadily been hacking away at EFA again, after a brief break at the start of the year.

https://twitter.com/ghostknot_games/status/1127961861331271681

I'm striving towards having full controller support and a radi(c)al menu seemed like a great fit for that.

That looks great! I think that you're pretty much the only one out of that crop of winter games that's still going, huh? Or am I misremembering where you started from?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

So I thought of Gearhead for some reason, which I've never played, so I went and looked and there's Gearhead 1, Gearhead 2, and Gearhead Caramel. Caramel's still in development so I'll hold off on trying that, but if I only try either 1 or 2 which should I go with, and why? I seem to remember from...nowhere in particular that 2 is a very different game to 1 and not just better, but that's a memory of a memory.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Thanks for the folks who responded re:gearhead. That, combined with Google, told me that it's generally considered that Gearhead 1 is more complete but the systems are shaky, and Gearhead 2 is less complete but more balanced. I decided I'd just try them both for 30 minutes or so and see.

I ran into the tutorial for Gearhead 1 OH BOY habituallyred, you weren't kidding about that menu movement system. It is...painful. I can totally see what he was going for but whoof. Fortunately, there's a way to set it to Roguelike-style controls, which gives up a lot of precision at the cost of making it incredibly obtuse to figure out how much time moving around takes.

I tried out Gearhead 2 and spent twenty minutes trying to find the Cavalier's Club that it tells you to go to in the introduction. Then, after I did find it, somebody gave me a quest that said that some fleet was doing something outside of Rishi Station and I'm not sure if I was on Rishi station, or not on Rishi station, or what? and launched into space and couldn't figure out what to do and called it a day.

I think...maybe I'll try 1, and see how it goes? and then if I beat it (fat chance) I can try 2 if I want more?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Guavatin posted:

Just bought TangledDeep on switch. Anything I should know about? Beat the first "boss" so far and have an OK understanding of the mechanics. (kinda a bit iffy on how item dreams work)

One thing that's not really obvious but is really important is that even melee classes should carry and use a ranged weapon before closing. It helps cut down on the attrition a lot.

Unless something really drastic happened to change that, I haven't actually revisited it since before the expansion.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

Oh I didnt realize there was another game before The Pit, what kind of design decisions did you dislike? I'm gonna check it out still, but is there anything I should be wary of?

There are three SOTS games, two 4x ones and one RL. SOTS 1 is good, SOTS 2 is a terrible, horrible, awesome trainwreck that never came together properly over its lifetime, and The Pit is between mediocre and inoffensively bad. If you only play one, play SOTS 1 with all its expansions.

The Pit, eh, you could probably do better. It relies a lot on item degradation, has some fairly degenerate tactics, and is kinda long and samey, but it's not an affront to the art or anything.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a 4X with a counter-based weapon and armor system, and a randomized tech tree where it's not guaranteed whether you get the prerequisite techs to have certain counters.

It's also got a turn-based strategic mode, but switching to an RTS for combat resolution, but the RTS portion is really clunky and awkward to control. It also obviously doesn't work in asynchronous multiplayer, which is the only way I've ever found to actually play a multiplayer 4X game to completion.

The one really cool thing the game has going for it is that each faction has unique movement mechanics (there's one that can only move along hyperlanes, one that can moves slowly into new territory but can instantly move around its own space, one that starts moving slowly at the start of a trip but gets progressively faster over time, etc.) but it's kind of generic outside of that.

Okay I never played it MP, so it's entirely possible it just doesn't work at all in that context. So...possibly everything I say goes right out the window when it goes MP.

Most of counter stuff though is either soft enough/there are enough substitutes that you can squeak by even if you miss an important tech. For example, you might not get point defense lasers, but you could substitute in point defense guns, or light emitters (which can his missiles and fighters), so you can get a 75% solution to most builds in most cases.

I really, really enjoyed the interplay between the ship building and the tactical combat. A lot of 4x games have somewhat vestigal unit customization system that end up being either bigger numbers better or a rock-paper-scissors situation, and I appreciated that most ship customizations you made in SOTS I caused you to handle your fleet significantly differently in the tactical layer. Also, the faction differentiation is top-notch; the Hiver ships have relatively high speeds and terrible turning, whereas the Liir ships have basically zero inertia. The combination of unique/different techs, extremely different ship builds, and the different movement mechanics gives it a lot of flavor.

Yes I am a SOTS I fanboy.

Harminoff posted:

There is actually 4 now. Newest one is the pit in first person.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/577410/The_Pit_Infinity

...huh.

E: From the trailers it doesn't look...great.

MuffiTuffiWuffi fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 4, 2019

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Question for the thread, an anybody name any examples of Roguelikes with integrated plot metaprogression? The only example I can think of is a PS2/Wii Roguelike called Baroque, where advancement of the story is persistent across runs in what I remember being a slightly nonlinear way. It also integrates the story into the runs, such that you actually can't beat the story on your first time through.

An example is the tutorial, which basically tosses you into the dungeon and you expect to die, fast, at which point it spawns you at the town and you start your runs. However you can actually get to the end of the tutorial if you know what you're doing, which gives you an interesting plot hook before it again dumps you in the town. You basically have to go and do specific things and then die to progress the plot, but they aren't really signposted and the whole experience is...sometimes frustrating.

This seems like something that would be an interesting idea to play around but I can't really think of any games that do it. I remember Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter was supposed to be a game you did a bunch of runs in? but my only experience with it is watching speedruns, and those just blow through the whole game real fast.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Zeerust posted:

I really liked Dragon Quarter, but never 100%'d it, partly because getting the best rank required you to defeat a secret challenge dungeon.

I want to try Dragon Quarter because everything I've heard about it sounds super interesting but also I just don't have...time. I mean I have some time, but not, like, JRPG time. Not like roguelikes are fast to play through either, but Everspace seems like it might be, you know, reasonable.

Hades sounds rad just in general, but it's also an action game that requires, like, action game skills. I never beat Bastion because of that, but I did beat Transistor because Transistor was kind of turn-based and that's just a lot easier for me. Also EGS, early access, yadda yadda.

E:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Maybe Azure Dreams also qualifies? It has a sort of dating-sim mode in the town at the base of the tower, and you can progress in that as you make attempts at climbing the tower.

Whoa, a 1997 PS1 Japanese roguelike. And, from like a minute of youtube, it appears to be turn-based! Huh! I feel like it's interesting that everything everybody has mentioned so far has been either Japanese or an action roguelite.

MuffiTuffiWuffi fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 18, 2019

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Who all is going to the Roguelike Celebration 2019 next weekend? I just bought my ticket. I see that Unormal and madjack are giving talks.

I'll be there, the last couple were a real great time! Looking forward to it.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

For those interested, Roguelike Celebration is starting up. There's a Twitch stream, too: https://twitch.tv/roguelike_con

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Oh, hey, they're doing remote talks, too.

Seconding that the one on narratives through games was good. Talked fast, but was great content.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

So Biskup deciding to pull out 8-directional movement in Ultimate ADOM got me wondering. What roguelikes exist that use hexes? There's Armoured Commander (I and II) and Hoplite, which runs on a phone, but those are literally the only two I can think of.

There's good reasons for that, of course. Square tiles map a lot better to the text console, hexes require you to do some janky drawing or actually build a UI, keyboard movement is going to be extremely tricky to figure out, and buildings look real weird. Are there any games that have tried to make this work that I'm just not aware of, though?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

andrew smash posted:

Wait he took 8-way movement out? Why?

When he playtested UADOM with people who aren't into roguelikes, everybody just went straight for the arrow keys and never actually figured out diagonal movement was possible. Which is kind of bad if you balance and design the game around 8-way movement. So he tried taking it out and apparently even the playtesters who liked ADOM just sort of stopped noticing the lack after a while. Or maybe they just stopped complaining at him, who knows.

Also you can't use 8-way on a laptop without using yubn, and hjklyubn is legit the devil's control scheme, not fit for decent men and women.

I played a sort of proto-game he whipped up with similar 4-way movement at the Celebration and...it was...fine. Maybe it turns out worse after a while but it's not, like, horrible. You run into some weird cases with when you're out of sync with a monster and have to wait for it to move and it could probably have some real wackiness with multiple enemies at a time. It does change the design space a bit, like, ranged weapons are stronger, you don't have to back as far into corridors. It seems like it's not an insane decision but time'll tell.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

andrew smash posted:

...the number row for 8 way...

Huh I didn't know that was a thing. Also that's probably the kind of thing he's trying to cut out.

Unfamiliar with JH's aims and goals but Biskup is explicitly going for more mainstream adoption in UADOM. Removing 8-way movement is part of that. He also is making hunger incapable of killing you, for example, instead just giving you a debuff. Changing traps so you can't die from a single activation. No word on if kicking stairs will still be able to kill you.

Honestly a lot of that seems fine for ADOM, hunger is never really a big issue, it's not a survival game. I can see the traps thing, too. He's definitely thought about ther design quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

LordSloth posted:

Well, my joke was sad, and now it’s dead.
$6.69 for the price would be nice.

Since it was in the mega itch bundle, anyone been playing Midboss? I’ve had it for a while but I’m wondering if I should set aside the time to beat it now that I have the excess of free time. I’ve played it before but other roguelikes and lites were a priority at the time.

Midboss is fun to play through a couple of times, it's pretty short and the possession mechanic is cool. I didn't find it to have a ton I'd starting per but it was definitely worth a playthrough.