Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is anyone talking about Noir Syndrome? People are calling it a 'roguelike', but I don't really think it applies as much as other games labeled the same. Yes, you get one life, so there's permadeath, but it's a procedurally-generated murder mystery.

I guess it's one of those games that could have people arguing for and against it being labeled roguelike. You really only have a limited time with each playthrough, much more limited than Dungeons of Dredmor, FTL, or Spelunky, even if you're successful, but you do end up getting better and better equipment with each playthrough.

EDIT: Shameless (or shameful?) plug, I made a thread for the game -> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646267

I've been playing a good bit of Noir Syndrome since I picked it up on sale. It's a fun little game, but it kinda gets old quick, for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Does anyone have any experience with Delver? It has an incredibly cool aesthetic that I love, but is it any good?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Infra Arcana is a relatively modern roguelike that I really enjoyed. It's early 20th century so it has things like guns and explosives.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Isn't DoomRL made by the same guy who did AliensRL? I really loved AliensRL, but it sounds like DoomRL is more fleshed out.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Does anyone know a good starter build for Caves of Qud? I'm trying to get started, but having all these mutations to pick from seems a bit daunting.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

No, but I think it's decent enough that you should at least give it a look first:

How would I get that font in my game? I remember a lot of games looking really nice in the terminal back when I had an Ubuntu laptop with it's great default font, but I'm on Windows 8 now and I'm completely clueless on how to change it. Would this be the wrong place to ask?

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 3, 2014

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I managed to figure out how to change the font in the console version. Some characters are a bit cut off or missing, but it looks great compared to default settings. I'll gently caress around with it some more later.

I'm really loving the 4 armed, 2 tusked, axe wielding bandit build. Seems like a really decent, but incredibly fun beginner playstyle.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Are there still keys going around for the secret goon beta of Qud? The new aesthetics look incredible and I'd love to give it a whirl again.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Qud really is one of the coolest roguelikes around. I think I've finally settled on a build I like which is basically a quadruple axe wielding, corrosive gas spewing, carapaced, paralyzing venom stinger scorpion marauder.

I thought I was completely hosed when I ran into this group of enemies led by a fire spewing miniboss dude, but a corrosive gas burst does wonders for trimming down a large group of enemies. The paralyzing sting also lets me get some much needed free hits in on tougher enemies.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Huh, something called a svenlainard trophy hunter just killed me in a town completely unprovoked in Qud, what was up with that? Was it because I was heavily mutated with animal features or something?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Will my own corrosive gas hurt me in Qud or can I stay in the cloud and keep attacking? Also the new wall sprites look great!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What should I be doing in Qud after I finish up the Joppa quests? It seems like anywhere I go I'm horribly outmatched and get destroyed. Should I just buckle down and grind out a few levels in the rust wells/Red Rock?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Cool, the two times I made it past the Joppa quests I tried to go to the jungle town with the monkey mayor. First time I got killed by that npc bug that was just patched and second time I got lost in the jungle and got murdered by goatmen. I'm guessing Grit Gate is the area up north?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh cool, I was pretty much blindly stumbling around the overworld to the next interesting looking symbol. Being able to look at the tiles is handy. Guess I must have forgotten to speak with Argyve after completing the rust wells quest which is why I never knew to go to Grit Gate. I'm running a quadruple axe marauder chimera if that changes anything with how I should progress through the game.

Also, I think I found a bug in Joppa. You can steal from the merchants chest in his house right in front of him without him going hostile like Argyve and the elder do which, while handy, doesn't seem intentional.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 2, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I now have the dual wielding skill unlocked and I lucked into a carbide battle axe plus I have 3 steel axes in my other hands. This is seriously the most :black101: playstyle ever.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Jesus, you were right about chaingun turrets. Those things are nasty.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
There is nothing more frustrating in qud than losing a new character to an enemy on the first level of red rock that happened to spawn with a poison grenade which does more damage over time than you have of hp. Is there any decent way to counter this that isn't lucking out and getting a salve injector from the joppa chests? I think I've lost 3 characters to this.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I guess it would be smart to level up a couple times before diving in. The snapjaws themselves are basically a nonissue for my build though since I can one shot them most of the time and can handle anything up to a brute easily with a chokepoint, which is why I usually just beeline for redrock.

Clever Spambot posted:

You usually have enough artifacts starting out (or stolen from peoples houses) to get a level off the bring me some artifacts quest, then you can move on to do the copper wire quest. I pretty much skip red rock entirely unless i have a character that i need to get the miners helmet for.

Marauder unfortunately doesn't start with any artifacts so getting enough for a level up from the 4 joppa chests seems to be about a 1 in 4 chance.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Retro Days tileset is about the only good one in the bunch honestly. It's actually one of the nicer tilesets I've ever played with in any roguelike.

There's also a dedicated thread for cata if you want to check that out. You might have better luck there if you ever need something answered.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553436

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Robot Randy posted:

The old dev jumped ship and then a bunch of furries took over development, ran a kickstater and then added dildoes, fursuits, zombie slaves, and all other sorts of quality content

It's not as bad as it sounds. I think there's just the one furry, and even then the wolf suit was added in as a joke. The zombie slave thing, while a bit unfortunately named (still not as bad as zlaves), is a direct reference to The Walking Dead where the character Michonne had 2 leashed up zombies with the arms chopped off. The vibrator is about the only really sketchy thing I can think of off the top of my head.

To answer your question, it's being actively developed with a lot of neat content being added pretty regularly. There's occasional drama with the development but it still chugs along pretty steadily. It's really one of the most unique roguelike experiences out there and I definitely recommend giving it a shot.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just got my first win on Risk of Rain as an enforcer. This game is seriously fun.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait until you unlock some of the really zany classes, like Acrid, Mercenary, Loader, or Chef. It really is a great game.

I have unlocked a lot of them, but nothing so far compares to the unstoppable tank that is the enforcer. I really enjoy the slower paced playstyle of a defensive character, and the shotgun blast and shield smash are some of the most satisfying attacks in the game.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there a specific way to get to the hive cluster that I don't know of? I've been trying for like an hour to get there but all I ever get is magma barracks for my fourth stage. I really want to get the command artifact so I can start breaking the game over my knee.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Holy poo poo the command artifact in RoR is crazy. I just steamrolled the game twice in a row after getting it. once with enforcer and once with the hilariously broken permanently invincible loader. What are some other crazy builds I can try?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm kinda getting the urge to get back into elona lately. What exactly is elona+? Some kind of fan fork?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Unormal posted:

For the first time ever, I can officially say that's next on the docket, baby. :vince:

Oh man, when's the release date on Qud?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Where should I be headed after starting the grit gate quest in Qud? I remember vaguely that Golgotha is extremely dangerous and that I should visit other areas before attempting it. I'm a level 8 chimera warden if that makes a difference.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah, madpoles certainly can kill you in 2 shots. I found that out the fun way when I lost my bearings on a river and got pretty much immediately killed. I had a good run on that character though. I discovered my new favorite mutation, flaming hands, which is a ranged 3x3 aoe with like a 10 turn cooldown that adds an extra d6 of damage for each upgrade at the cost of no gloves, and also got a good idea of what my preferred build is.

What kind of builds do you guys run?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I don't know about that. I take paralyzing stinger on almost every character I roll and it always puts in an insane amount of work. Having a basic melee stun is incredibly useful if your fighting in close quarters a lot. I haven't ever really missed the slot on my back, but then again, my runs usually end around grit gate so I haven't seen much of the higher end stuff.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Got a Qud bug report or two, both involving farms.

On a starapple farm, the two farmers that normally spawn also spawned alongside a starapple farmer's daughter. When you look at her you fall in love and her description is a Shakespearean looking wall of text about how beautiful she is . She must have really been something because you fall in love around a hundred times in an instant, giving you the "you have fallen in love with the starapple farmer's daughter" pop up message about 100 or so times. You have to spacebar out of it for each one. It also completely bottoms out your willpower and intelligence since you get lovestruck so many times.

Second bug is on pig farms. The pigs basically go hog wild as soon as the map tile loads, attacking each other or you or anything alive until only one remains. This seemed more like it was just unfinished though since they didn't have sprites yet.

edit:here's a couple of images detailing the first issue if anyone wants a chuckle

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 30, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So is there a way to remove lovesickness? The bug was amusing, but I don't really want to lose this character to it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
drat, looks like I missed Unormal and Hand of Luke. Made it just in time for madjack though. This is pretty cool!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Did Unormal's irdc talk not get archived on twitch? I'm not seeing it in the list, did it maybe get rolled into one of the other broadcasts?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man, that scalding steam in Qud that looks exactly like the harmless smoke from fire based attacks that instantly kills you if you are low level sure is rough. 2 steam deaths in a row on 2 very good starts.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
How good is sleep gas generation in Qud? I'm thinking of tinkering with my main build a bit so I'm not using paralyzing stinger, since apparently a back slot is extremely useful to have later in the game. Sleep gas seems like it would be a decent alternative, even if it means giving up corrosive gas.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
AliensRL was by the same guy and has a similar style. I actually prefer it to DoomRL myself. Ammo is a lot less plentiful so you'll find yourself having to conserve and pick your battles.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think I'm gonna stick with sleep gas generation. It seems a bit less reliable than the paralyzing stinger, but it can usually proc if you kite an enemy through 3 tiles of it, plus it can put multiple enemies to sleep, so it makes a decent panic button if you get swarmed. I swapped out corrosive gas for phasing to take over the role of going through walls. I think I actually prefer phasing. It's not as versatile as corrosive gas, but it is excellent for getting out of a rough fight and can get through walls without destroying them or causing any collateral damage.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Unormal posted:

*The default action for meds is now get instead of apply when they are in a container other than the player's inventory

THANK YOU SO MUCH

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Congratulations! I'll try and actually buy a copy for one of my friends since apparently the beta key carries over to the actual release. The trailer's looking great, and I love that banner image you have for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
drat, cloneslinger sounds like a fun build. I might have to try it!