Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I really liked Magicite, though I hear the online multiplayer can be shaky. NEO Scavenger was probably one of my favorite games of last year; it has an amazing atmosphere and you can get really into roleplaying. Necrodancer's pretty great also, and you don't have to have a super amazing sense of rhythm.

Edit: Super House of Dead Ninjas is also far better than it has any right to be. It's fast as hell and there are a bunch of nice unlocks that give you different weapons and projectiles and stuff.

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I grabbed Sproggiwood earlier today and I've thoroughly enjoyed myself. I'm pretty bad at roguelikes, so I haven't gotten very far yet. I really appreciate how well it works on mobile, because I don't have as much gaming time as I used to. All in all, all worth the buy.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Favorite roguelikes you say?

1. Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode, especially in light of the newest update, which lets me form bands and wander from tavern to tavern singing horribly. I don't know if it strictly counts without a win condition, but I think that having a lot of intricately interacting systems counts for a lot.

2. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. I was introduced to it a few years ago and it was described as being more fair than Nethack. As someone who's not very good at roguelikes at all, this seems true; compared to Nethack where I was constantly looking things up, DCSS seems much more straightforward. The sheer variety of player options has kept me interested for hundreds of hours.

3. Nethack. It's the first roguelike I ever played, and it still has a special place in my heart. It's also the roguelike I've gotten the farthest in; I was level 15, had some artifact weapons, lots of resistances, gray dragon scale armor, then I sacrificed a gray unicorn on a neutral altar. Good times.

4. Crypt of the Necrodancer. Rhythm games and roguelikes don't seem like they would mix well, but they absolutely nailed it. You move, attack, and use items all to the beat of the song, and the enemies do the same. There's a pretty good assortment of characters, including one who dies if he touches money and one who dies if she misses a beat. If you have a bad sense of rhythm, you can also play as a character who ignores the rhythm aspect. You can also use your own music in the game, but the soundtrack is so good that I've never bothered.

5. Hoplite. It's a fairly minimalist mobile roguelike on a hexagonal grid. It's pretty fun.

6. Sproggiwood. I'm not very good at it, but I've been playing it on and off for a while and it's quite deep. You get special abilities that you can upgrade as you level up. You also accumulate gold that you keep when you die, and you can use it to buy armor and weapons that you can choose to start with if you're having a hard time.

7. The Binding of Isaac (+ Rebirth). This is where I go into roguelites, but as I've played hundreds of hours of these games combined, I couldn't leave them off in good conscience. Twin stick shooters where you can pick up lots of upgrades that interact in amusing ways. Rebirth is better than the original in every way.

8. Dungeon of the Endless. It's pretty as hell, first of all. It's a mix of real time and turn based; you can choose to open a door at any time, and when you do, you can find monsters you have to fight, or resources to gather, or all sorts of things. You can build modules in lit rooms that generate resources or damage enemies, but you might not have the resources to light up all the rooms at once, and monsters spawn in darkened rooms every turn. You start each floor in a room with a crystal, and the overall goal is to find the portal to the next floor and take the crystal to it. It's really good and you should check it out. It also has multiplayer that I've never tried.

9. FTL. You probably know about it, you have a spaceship that you're fleeing the rebel fleet with and your ultimate goal is to defeat the rebel flagship. You upgrade your weapons, shields, and other systems and collect more crew members as you go. It's quite addictive and I'm still mad that they never made an android port.

10. Full Mojo Rampage. It's a nice looking twin-stick shooter. It's another game that carries through some things after death so you can upgrade your character gradually as you go.

Honorable mentions: Nuclear Throne, Teleglitch, One Way Heroics, Delver, One More Dungeon, Coin Crypt, NEO Scavenger, Magicite, Don't Starve, Rogue Legacy, Risk of Rain, Spelunky, Eldritch, and Super House of Dead Ninjas.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

Now how does Dungeonmans not make a list of games that includes Super House of God drat Dead Ninjas :colbert:

Because I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I'm gathering that I should, though.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Neo Scavenger is 4.49$ on Humble - worth it? The UI looks janky, but...hmmm.

I thought it was one of the best games of that year, and I felt so bad for picking it up in the $1 tier of a humble bundle I'd gotten for another game that I bought another copy at full price and gave it to a friend. I played it for about a dozen hours, which is pretty good given my terrible gaming attention span these days.

Also I've just learned that a mobile port is in the works, aaaaaa

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Arcen makes me sad for a lot of reasons, it was kind of funny to poke fun of their weird jank and whacky dinosaur unity game, then they imploded, I think the lead went through some bad life events and now they're on life support

AI war was lightning in a bottle, unfortunate since the core concept is something I 100% want more of from strategy games (assymetric strategy opponent, difficulty hill instead of an inverse curve, brilliant in coop, etc etc)

Yeah :/ Even their jankiest games were unique enough for me to remember them clearly years later, and I genuinely really loved The Last Federation. I figured I was never seeing that non-combat 4X anyway, alas...

Slightly more on topic, I've been craving a more traditional roguelike for a minute but I rarely have the energy to game on my PC. I've got Tangledeep on Switch, I vaguely remember bouncing off it but it's long enough ago and I don't remember why so I might give it another go. Any other recommendations for iPhone or switch? I've tried mobile nethack ports and I really wish I could tolerate them better, but ah well.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the recs! I used to play a lot of pokemon mystery dungeon on ds/3ds, and $20 seems a lot more palatable than $60 for the switch edition. I vaguely remember playing POWDER years ago so I'm redownloading. Tossed Slipways on the wishlist too.

Also, since posting last I found a tolerable Nethack port that actually has proper menus for action instead of expecting me to use the on-screen keyboard as if I were on desktop, and I'm having a good little burst of nostalgia. I was obsessed with it when I was a college freshman (a decade ago, I'm now realizing...) and I still remember a death from spacing out and sacrificing a gray unicorn on a neutral altar as vividly as if it were yesterday. I'm still enjoying it in a sense, but I'm also grateful to see how much the roguelike scene has expanded even by the strictest definition.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

gnosia is a roguelite :thinking emoji:

I adore both gnosia and having roguelike mean an actual concrete genre so I was about to be real mad

this is a correct take though and you should say it

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm waiting for someone who isn't me to make a thread so I can gush about it. It crept up on me a bit, like with the first few loops especially I had to be in the right frame of mind, but I haven't been obsessed with a game that came out of the blue like this in a long loving time. Enjoy!

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Wamdoodle posted:

What's the app you found? Is it Pathos?

Missed this post in all my Gnosia excitement. It was actually iNetHack 2 but pathos looks a lot better tbh so thanks!

On the subject of mobile roguelikes, and even interesting genre blends, I started playing RogueJack. It's a roguelike, but you battle by playing blackjack. Not the deepest game in the world but I'm really enjoying it.

Also I love Danganronpa despite itself and there are definitely parts of the way I like Gnosia that feel like the way I like Danganronpa, if that makes sense, but I wouldn't really say there's that much similarity. I haven't played any of the Zero Escape games yet so I can't judge on that front.

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 11, 2021

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anyone have thoughts of Full Mojo Rampage? I have it on my wishlist and it's on sale but have zero recollection about it, other than it being a coop roguelike which sounds interesting.

I never played it coop, I remember liking it a fair bit but apparently not enough to be specific. I'm pretty sure I got it in a bundle or on some pretty deep sale though.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dropbear posted:

Figured I'd try Crawl again; I never really put much thought into the "they're removing everything!"-complaints, although some of the removals felt a bit unnecessary & odd.

Turns out they've removed food / hunger & cursed items completely since I last played. :stare:
THAT does seem like a lot. I'll give it a go, maybe those do end up being positive changes, but now I do get what people are saying.

what the gently caress

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

I think the only people I've seen say they preferred the first RoR game to the second has been one or two posters on this forum. It seemed pretty universally well received.

I've bought RoR 2 on PC and Switch mostly on the basis of how much I loved the first one, and I try playing it every so often, but it really just doesn't click with me as well. That's probably got more to do with me not being great at 3d shooters and being somewhat prone to motion sickness in them though, I'm pretty sure it owns and I'm the problem.

Holy poo poo do I love the first game, though. Still nothing quite like it.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anyone have any kind words for Full Mojo Rampage? I have it in my wishlist but don't remember why--a coop roguelike seems interesting.

I haven't played it in years but I remember liking it a great deal when I did, I'll fire it up tomorrow if I have time and see how it's held up.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sloppy posted:

Anyone playing Revita on a Deck? I feel like I'm always wrestling with the controls. Needing to use the right stick to aim when not moving takes away easy access to jump/dash and it feels like there must be a better way.

I use the top rated controller config (can't recall the name) that maps a bunch of stuff to the back paddles, it took a bit to get used to but it actually works really well imo

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Battle passes have unfortunately been normalized to the degree that I can absolutely see why indie devs trying to ensure they have enough money to keep running might see a battle pass (on the less exploitative end) as a worthwhile option without any malicious intent. Unfortunately, even if it absolutely could be orders of magnitude worse and absolutely nobody is gonna be bankrupted based on this example, it's still playing on the same mechanics that ruin lives when taken to an extreme. I have, I won't call it an outsized reaction but I think a stronger one, than the average person just from what I've seen indirectly in this industry and how much easier it is to suck money out of people who have a particular vulnerability when they don't even have to leave their bedroom.

To some degree, this whole conversation is also shaped by us existing in an indie game environment where to sell a game at even $20 US enough to keep the lights on, you have to be both Real Fuckin Good and Real Fuckin Lucky. I've never gone any further in game dev than a couple half finished Twine games and some very old RPGmaker stuff from being a teen, so I can't imagine how much more stressful it is on that side. Gaming is one of the cheaper hobbies I can have because I can pick up bundles of like half a dozen indie games several times a month, each one containing at least a couple games I'd actively like to try, all for $10-$20 US put together. There's plenty of games that release for 10 or 15 bucks that took years to put together, that play well, that even get some prominence with reviewers or youtubers or the steam front page, and you'll see even positive reviews saying that unless you actively want to support the devs then might as well wait a couple months for a big sale or for it to be bundled. It's a self fulfilling prophecy, often.

uhh drat roguelikes are pretty cool, huh?

edit: dang I didn't know that about unity but it makes a lot of sense, thanks for sharing that aspect.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
I think that's actually a really interesting point as well. Vampire Survivors is a very good game that absolutely takes cues from the gambling industry but just lets you have the dopamine rewards from regular play. Now that I think of it, it's probably closest to my whole idea of having "fake" gambling games for people as harm reduction.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Slice & Dice which is very, very good.

I wish this would metaprogress to having an ios port :negative:

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

It didn't get much fanfare but this came out on phones a couple weeks ago btw. Just beat the last "ascension" this morning, fun little game

I love Luck Be A Landlord and learning about the mobile port a couple days ago was extremely dangerous for me

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
I mean I'd absolutely love this as well and plenty of deck havers are the same type of big old nerd, I'm sure it wouldn't be the highest priority but if it was flagged to Valve I wouldn't be surprised if it got looked at at some point.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Cobalt Core has a demo and is another twist on the whole "Roguelike deckbuilder" scene: Lanes & Such

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2179850/Cobalt_Core/

I want to second this, as someone who got heartily tired of the deckbuilder trend at about the fifth one I saw I actually want to buy this when it comes out.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

LifeLynx posted:

I really really wish this was coming to mobile. I have a Switch I could get it on, but after losing three pairs of joycons to joycon drift I gave up on having it as a portable system.

Fwiw I asked the dev a while ago on the steam forums and they said they were planning an eventual mobile release. You might also be able to play it using the touch screen?

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

FutureCop posted:

Was curious, how do people feel about Cult of the Lamb nowadays? It got a new update and is on sale, so I was thinking of checking it out, but I was a bit worried since the combat seemed rather simple and I typically go to roguelikes for challenging combat, ala Hades, Curse of the Dead Gods, and so on. Than again, maybe that's what the whole cult management is there to make up for and I wouldn't mind it as much.

It was Fine. Cute for a few hours, pretty easy and imo seemed kinda weirdly tuned and less than the sum of its parts.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't hate deckbuilders or anything but it's pretty annoying how every other game seems to be some kind of deckbuilder now and most of them don't have the game design chops to pull off anything interesting, and at the risk of inflaming discourse again I really don't understand calling deckbuilders roguelikes/roguelites just because I feel like some degree of randomization by default has to exist in them.

I definitely prefer DF with z-levels, but I do think there is a certain charm about the earlier versions. I've got a folder with various DF releases going back to 40d with saves I've been toting around with me for years and years, maybe I should give the 2d version a fair shake sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2455920/Mimic_Logic/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256982748/movie480_vp9.webm

Do you like the "one of these guys always lies, and one always tells the truth" kind of logic puzzle? Here it is as a roguelike. Pretty neat for $3.99.

Holy poo poo I love this game