Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Isaac posted:

I am very confused how this gearhead 2 game works. Can i get some advicenor a link or someone twlling me not to bother

I am no expert on the game, but here are some tips to keep you alive in the start of the game:

Make an advanced start character and max their speed and reflexes. Reflexes controls avoiding damage at both scales and lots of weapons use it too. Speed literally controls how much you can do with each turn. A low speed character will sit there like a lump while their enemies wreck them. Do not completely dump charisma.

Always have Mecha Piloting, Dodging, Initiative, and Conversation on your characters. I know the last patch made dodging slightly less important, but it still the best way to not die. Initiative ties in with speed. Conversation means that people will actually give you missions.

Pick a Gear with hands to start out with. It speeds up looting and means that you are not completely screwed if you run out of ammo during a fight. The calculation for how weight damages your dodge value goes something like Installed Weapons>Carried Weapons>Weapons in Inventory.

ABR: Always be running. Target speed is an important part of attack calculations. You can turn and maneuver as much as you like during your turn as long as you run, using the + key, as your last action. Stunt driving is a good talent to start with, but remember this costs fatigue points over time.

Try to get the person you team up with at the cavalier club to become your lancemate. Talk to people to get contacts in your communicator and then give them a call. Hold shift and press m to look at your Gears. Hold shift and press six to cheat and see where hidden events are, it will save you a lot of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
That sounds amazing, but I have no idea. I know the last patch did something like doubling the strength of all mecha-scale parts to try and make dodging less of an all-or nothing affair.

Which reminds me that for personal scale combat you should buy light armor and consider a weapon with scatter. Buying a spare clip of flechette ammo for a long rifle or something works well for early game trash enemies.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Looks like Gearhead has the new pre-compiled versions at https://github.com/jwvhewitt/gearhead-1/releases/tag/v1.200. Nothing immediately exploded when I tried the windows ASCII and tiles versions.

Made a tiles character only to find that I had gone overbudget on skills.Are there any good way to see how many skills my knowledge can support during character creation?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
To continue the derail about board game roguelikes there is a pbp of Magic Realm going on at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761808&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1. The java app that automates the board and such could stand alone as a roguelike.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Prospector RL already has "old star trek episode" planets down pat. Rip off the cloning bay from FTL, horrible side effects optional. Broken ringworld shards strewn throughout the systems to show off the unlimited power of the ancients.?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I know they had to make a mod for COE3 that tells the player what random era it is.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I would say Gearhead2, but that is because I started with the isometric combat system. The camera is always looking over your gear's head and you can move about with standard roguelike controls. Gearhead1 had a menu based combat system and a fixed view point. It just never clicked with me, but that may be because I was always mixing up my right and my gear's right.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

DrManiac posted:

I bought one way heroics plus in the winter sale anybody have any beginner tips? I played about 10 hours of the console spin-off and the original seems way different.

I would start with the Knight or the Swordsman. As the Knight focus on getting a backup shield as soon as possible. A Swordsman should try to get a backup weapon as the high rate of combo hits burns through weapons quickly. You can't have a shield and a bracelet so choose wisely.

Getting flanked is death. Having a partner to stand behind you and take those hits can be vital, so tack on some charisma during character creation. Spend as much time as possible fighting just one opponent at a time. Having a shield helps you go toe to toe with foes in the entrance to dungeons and such. Have and enchant one weapon as your main combat weapon and an axe of some sort for breaking through walls and such. Nothing lasts forever so keep on thinking about what your next primary weapon is going to be.

Time is not your friend. Unless you have something pressing above or below you keep on moving toward the right. That way you have more time to clear dungeons or visit towns when they show up on your map. Look for gray areas on your minimap, outside of ruins those are usually towns or dungeons.

The final boss is going to try and light you on fire. Ideally you will dodge or interrupt them when they meditate to do this. Practically speaking you want to ditch anything that can explode as soon as possible when you fight the final boss. Or you could just keep running and never look back.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
That Dynamic Elysium mod is an interesting way to cut out the tedium of generating 50 different maps just to find the academy of higher magic. Normal places semi-randomly upgrade to higher-tier versions of themselves. Like a farm could eventually become a city, spawning levies along the way.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Angry Diplomat posted:

I decided to try this mod out and it's making AI and independent turns take like... 10+ times as long to resolve. Is that normal?

Happens to me too, probably because every podunk farm is checking to see if it is growing up this turn. Seemed to even out on later turns, but that may be because I started browsing the internet at the end of turns.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The trick to the psychic stuff in OWH is to get a focus bracelet. Then you can bust out the basic fire attack with no delay, as you are permanently at level one focus.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Gearhead 2 definitely has an ending. Multiple, semi-randomly generated endings technically. I never got one that didn't boil down to a big old brawl between you and some of the factions you decided to help against your rival and all the people you decided to piss off. Sometimes it spiced it up with a multi-space space cruiser or whatnot.

Edit: Does anyone remember the hotkey for finding hidden encounters? I was trying to be a dance robot who flies around for the sake of world peace but I crashed the game when looking into the shift-1 menu. Also the last time I talked to a doctor about getting treated for mine related injuries the game crashed. This is not the most stable version of G2 around.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 6, 2017

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
My two complaints with the finished Cortex Command are the removal of shooting around the game world and collision with friendly models. 7 Minute NUTS! survival rounds in the demo were rad when you could bottleneck enemy units with a rampart made of the dead. The fellows in the back would get impatient and do some of your work for you. Now they just mob up into an unapproachable mass of firepower.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Card Quest advice is tricky since a class is totally different with a bunch of stuff unlocked vs. the crappy starting + tutorial equipment. I would recommend replacing your starting hand if you have Concentration and Inner focus. Ditto if more than half are pure defense cards. This isn't the tutorial, losing some health is okay as long as you beat a new boss. You can worry about beating the whole map on a different run.

Think about how to get the most replacement cards out of what you already have in your hand, like the tutorials taught you. If you have a card set that is good at churning cards and plenty of stamina discard some defensive cards, especially after the first turn. A dead/confused/stunned enemy is well worth a little risk. Different areas are more or less likely to feature ambushes.

Hopefully this advice isn't counterproductive with rusty swords and bent bows. Any particular class you want advice on?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I distantly remember that the early fighter has a big problem: he is S L O W. He can just about make two attacks in the first turn. Two lovely attacks since he is using a dull piece of metal instead of the Cursing Broadsword of Poison that the base sword eventually turns into. I won't even comment on the terrible card replacement rate. Strongly consider just making one attack on the first turn and using the rest of your stamina/cards for defense. If you can mulligan into defensive stance within one or two tries do it. Then patiently wear down your foes starting with anybody with more than 2 attack, like the tutorial teaches.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Also keep an eye on the "expected monster" screen when picking your next area. If more than one monster type has damage on contact stay the hell out. This goes double for slimes and something like triple for fungi. Minimal shame for designing a build specifically to gently caress over those areas once and then never darkening their doorsteps again as the rogue/warrior. Hiding behind your own blocking and damage on contact is a slow alternative for some builds.

Edit: Weirdly enough Defensive stance and other sources of armor do not protect against damage on contact. Pretty sure enemy armor does protect them from your DOC.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 11, 2018

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

ZeroCount posted:

Right so if my build for the run doesn't include those, I should... just avoid areas with DoC as much as possible?

Unironically yes for fighters and rogues.

Undead City: Burnt City, though you could tank hits until everybody burns out, Catacombs, the odd zombie drat near anywhere on the southern route,The final boss since it puts out way too many effective attacks to wait out

Dwarven Mountains: Mushroom Caves are a nightmare, Fallen City is mushroom caves squared, anywhere with armored dwarves could have one or two DoC enemies

Enchanted Forest: Bog, Rotten Copse is nasty and has a few

The Dwarven Mountains have some stuff for the fighter to fight at range with, especially if you go full buddy cop with the Dwarf Prince.

The Enchanted Forest seems to be the place to be for the Rogue to find ranged stuff.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Going all fairy with the rogue is totally awesome, but with the hunter it is a pain in the rear end. Going from 4 to zero can't be the way things are supposed to work, gently caress that. Don't even get me started on the fact that one of the core fairy moves unawares everybody in melee range and the other makes you distant. A hunter build where you want to be in hand to hand range against anybody who dodges, ridiculous. The closest thing to advice I have is to save the actual fairy arrows for when you need more ammo or are down to the last enemy.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Any advice for beating the Cursed Box with the Rogue in Card Quest? That and the Fallen City are the two Rogue things I just can't quite seem to figure out how to beat.

Basically the Demon has 10ish turns before it practically kills itself. If the Demon has to cast a spell to find you it does not discard one of your cards. A swashbucker with the fairy sword and the bag of tricks should have enough firepower to kill the summoned souls every turn. Or you could stun em. Doing 20+ damage to the demon sounds great but it really is an endurance contest.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Tollymain posted:

battles of norghan is on sale for 5 bucks rn. i think it came up in the thread at some point despite not being super roguelikey? is it worth getting

Not a roguelike. Straight up tournament game, make a team and try to drag em to the top. Melee combat is whiff city by the end of the first tournament. Recommend buying a druid with a good summoning score to start with. Follow it up with a meatshield or two. Magic attacks usually bypass normal defence so a good wizard is the last piece of the puzzle.

I can't really recommend the game.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Rad Necromancy poo poo. Dive into spooky ruins in all three campaigns to find out exactly what. The Death Ring is super handy for the best defensive necromancer scroll and practically mandatory for the fastest offensive book.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

AttackBacon posted:

I got Card Quest a bit ago and I have to say, I loving love Card Quest. It's amazing to me how they really captured the feel of the different classes (even different archetypes within a class!). I've unlocked a couple subclasses for Rogue and Wizard (holy moly unlocking Hitman was rough) and am just starting Fighter and am blown away anew as I expected it to feel similar to Rogue. Nope, completely different pace and playstyle. I've just started messing with a berserker build and what a shift from the guardian school. On top of that, the amount of content (in terms of unlocks) is really stellar. Are they still actively developing? This is the type of game that I could see myself playing for a long, long time, even with just a drip-feed of content.

Edit: Also Oaken Shield+Troll Blood is the fuckin best, I'm just this mutating regenerating monster and it's incredible.

Sad to say the developers said it didn't make sense to keep developing for the PC market. This was on the steam discussion forum some time back. Some light internet sleuthing didn't bring up anything outside of Card Quest.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I don't know how the actual game is so much worse than the demo. Maybe it was removing collision detection from same player actors?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Razakai posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen lots of people recommend Dream Quest but I'm not sure I can get past the art :(

Monster Hunter is a Dream Quest knock off that has much better art but only has about 10% of the sheer hatred for the player.

Post your favorite ways Dream Quest hates you:
The Hand of Glory
A monster that takes half damage from anything but piercing damage. If it has a deck I can tell you nothing about it. Because this rear end in a top hat makes you play your hand against yourself every other turn. Sure you can try to derail your killer combo by playing things in the wrong order. But if you cast magic or rely on plain old physical attacks you are going to die.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

So I thought of Gearhead for some reason, which I've never played, so I went and looked and there's Gearhead 1, Gearhead 2, and Gearhead Caramel. Caramel's still in development so I'll hold off on trying that, but if I only try either 1 or 2 which should I go with, and why? I seem to remember from...nowhere in particular that 2 is a very different game to 1 and not just better, but that's a memory of a memory.

For my money you should go with Gearhead 2. Gearhead 1 has this menu based movement system that I hate.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Thirsty Dog posted:

Essentially it's a game that treats player attention and focus as a resource in itself. Which is just way too stressful for me.

What was the RTS where your units were mini armies / brigades / detachments and you went around fighting for objectives on a map? Really wish I could remember, it was a series and not that well known, but essentially was all macro and almost no micro.

Kohan 2! And Kohan 1 presumably. A methodical game, where even the smallest controllable unit consisted of 8 guys in 2 lines. A endgame formation could be a respectable army all on its own. Flanking was less a matter of getting bonuses and more a matter of hitting enemy support elements.

E:fb

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Im_Special posted:

Zorbus has been around for only a few months with only a few posts, which are 100% Zorbus related that basically just smells like a shill for Zorbus. Wouldn't really consider someone like that a "goon". :10bux: won't just instantly make you part of this neckbeard community. :frogout:

Helical Nightmares might have been better served with an LP thread. But come on. People need to have a neck mustache before they have a neckbeard, etc.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

victrix posted:

So I loving love Card Quest, and I couldn't find what else the devs had done.

Turns out the designer is head designer at a mobile games company and it was just his inbetween project moving from one company to another a few years ago and now I am very sad :(

Well poo poo.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

MussoliniB posted:

Really dumb question out of nowhere. I'm looking for this old, old (early 00's maybe) automatic RPG roguelike. It's close to an idle game, but before idle games were really a thing. Maybe it was released during the Cookie Clicker craze.

It's a game for windows, it almost looks like it was created in MS Paint, the graphics are really lovely. The game play was buying weapons that were usually silly (I think the top tier weapon was a nuke), then you'd hit 'go' and your little dude would move around the map and fight everything and you'd either win (and move on) or lose and start over. Whenever you bought anything in the store the sound effects were silly as well, a man's voice would say things like (bing, whoa, ping) etc. All of the sound effects, I think, were just this person's voice.

Is this ringing any bells for anyone? I've tried googling everything I can think of and have not found any results.

You aren't crazy. Was it the Automatic Adventurer?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Scalding Coffee posted:

Elona+ had a version 2.0 update a few days ago and the game or Main Quest may finally be completed after a decade or so of development. I don't know how else to keep that thread updated beyond the other game modes I have zero interest in. There might be Custom to look forward to when someone picks that up. It would be nice to know what the storyline is like with the missing cutscenes.

As always:

drat shame to hear about the developer's plan to work themselves to death.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I was all jazzed to talk up Night of the Full Moon finally getting an ending and an optional, "half as hard as Dream Quest" mode. But the Nightmare mode is locked behind all of the lesser difficulty runs, for each class. And the difficulty only really kicks in after an event in the first act. But it is getting closer!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Jedit posted:

You mean you weren't already clearing Hard VII with all eight classes?

I've been leveling up the Mechanic. Assembly is looking like the strongest strategy; Mechanical Rabbit combined with Assembly Station gets absurd fairly quickly, especially when you have Rocket Booster and a couple of other attacks and actions that play all attacks in your top 3-5 cards. I'm still unlocking synergies though. There's a lot of stuff that lets you stack Frailty sky high and it may be possible to build a deck that exiles the enemy's entire deck and board.

Only so many hours in the day.

Reducing cost by playing other cards was a good trick in Magician, glad to see it get reused. Personally I keep chasing the all actions for effects cards. Plenty of ways to boost actions. It gets pretty nuts if you can find the card that triggers all such effects.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Guess they kept going after the Elona shooter game? Literally did not believe you until I watched the video and saw the class list.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

victrix posted:

omg how did I miss this, Card Quest is getting new development

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/493080/view/5262989303550253673

Another vote for hoping that the new art is just an option. If I ever got around to lping the game I would start from a blank file. Half the fun is changing your loadout after any given level. So the gauntlet mode is right up my alley.

Edit: Hope the developers have played Frost before working on their survival game. Otherwise their below zero game is toast, Frost is great at representing those problems.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Kanfy posted:

It's been a while since I played it but at least with the City I eventually ended up with a Sharpshooter/magic Hunter that rolled over 90% of the fights without ever taking a hit. Once you get used to arrow and combo management, you can get some real nonsense going with that class.

Psst... Click on the face in the upper left hand corner to see how to unlock "alternate" classes. Don't goddamn bother with the changeling unlock, just an awful mess of mechanics to unlock it.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Arzaac posted:

I never was too big a fan of most of Arcen Games' work, but I absolutely love Bionic Dues.

For me it kind of ends up playing like a cross between a traditional roguelike and a puzzle game? The main premise is that you control a squad of 4 mechs against a massive army of AI controlled robots, but the robots have lovely and often very specific AI; you have things like bots that can't change direction until they hit a wall, rocket launcher bots that literally miss every shot (but can still hit you with the splash damage), or a powerful siege bot that can't move or attack unless another ally is nearby because it gets lonely. Most enemies are extremely lethal, with even your tankiest mech probably only able to take 3-5 shots at most, so you're constantly looking for ways to wipe out the enemy without getting hit at all, ideally. And because most of the bots behave in pretty dumb and predicable ways you can usually lead them into traps or get them to line up for a AoE kills.

It's just a really fun time imo, and it's also got a pretty chunky loot system if that's your jam. Just uh...turn off the voice acting. It's somewhat funny for the first 5 minutes but they just won't stop saying the same voice clips over and over and over again.

If you want "Bionic Dues, but with less loot," Mainframe Defenders scratches that same itch for me these days. 4 bot teams with 4 pieces of equipment each compared to the piles of stuff in Bionic Dues. Still fun to optimize each bots loadout, and role within the team. Don't think everything has been properly rebalanced around the new armor values. One piece of equipment in particular adds corrosion damage equal to armor and is now completely worthless.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Beat me to suggesting this one. But it is worth mentioning twice.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i am not having a good time as the rogue in card quest. so far the only character ive been any good with is the wizard and the rest are just brutal. i keep getting to the very end of boss fights as the rogue and just barely dying to stuff. like the catacombs and cemetery in the city, i just can't beat them for some reason.

Sorry, have to agree that swimming in the shallow end of the different adventures for a complete equipment set is a good second step. (step one is beat the tutorials) Rogue wise you don't want to get impatient with boss fights. Doing a dozen damage to somebody who is unaware is super fun, but bosses tend to have more than 12 hitpoints. Rogues have a bad tendency to run out of steam after a big old alpha attack. Consider making everybody unaware and then doing basically nothing with the rest of your turn. Swashbucklers should try to get trinkets or bag items to fill this gap in their abilities. Or just go full faerie, that set of equipment makes the ranger equivalent look like a cruel joke. Detecting hidden enemies would theoretically be another equipment priority, if you didn't have to fight so many hidden enemies to get it.

Going off of memory here but the top and middle paths of the city are tricky for starting rogues. You run into lots of enemies that summon more enemies on those routes, which is a rogue's worst nightmare. Pretty sure there are only 7 or so enemies in the whole game that can ignore the unaware status and 3-4 of them are on that middle path. Status wise my personal ranking is: dead>unaware>distant>=stunned. So losing out on the second best option makes bosses much tougher, since none of them can be stunned.

Don't be afraid to look at the previewed enemies and decide to take another route, especially if you lack good answers to enemies that deal damage on contact. Some maps you pretty much have to decide that you are building your whole kit around taking those particular fungal assholes down. I'm just going to say it: mulligan more.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

BurningBeard posted:

All this deckbuilder stuff has me wondering something.

Is there a roguelike out there that has an inverse power progression? You start badass and gradually get weaker over the run? I think it would be interesting to play a game of maintaining some semblance of capability as your overall power level declines.

Swear this was 7DRL theme for a year. The one I remember being really good had an old man with a nethack style ascension kit. You would lose an load point every x turns to encourage quickly finding the stairs before you had to ditch your favorite equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Turin Turambar posted:

One of the things I liked from games like Dungeons of Dredmor is the sheer variety of skills [trees], 51 of them, which you can mix and match.
In strategy games, I loved how in Dominions series has over 80 different nations.
In roguelite games, I like how each of the 100 weapons in Dead Cells feel different, on how you can build different combos in Hades with the boons.

So, what other roguelikes* would you recommend which is very replayable thanks to different options the player have?
TOME, what else?

*: non-ASCII

Caves of Qud.

Cogmind?

Can we use card based roguelikes for this question?