Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
I really hope someone picks up Gearhead 2, I just spent a few hours playing it and the space combat sucks(which is the majority of the combat it seems, unfortunately) but the ground combat is pretty fun/cool as long as you switch to menu controls instead of roguelike controls, which are the default but completely erase the slow plodding feel of the mech combat. Needs more ground combat content, probably just more content in general.

I'll try Gearhead 1 sometime this weekend, the old binary version crashes on launch for me so I'll have to figure out this whole compiling source code from github business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
To figure out some of the mechanics I just googled and used cached forum threads from the old dead gearhead forums to figure things out, and the in-game manual is sorta useful too. The controls are a pretty huge mess in general, you might want to have a look at gearhead.cfg to figure things out and definitely change the mech commands to menu instead of roguelike.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Getting freepascal set up is an absolute pain. Anyone just have a pre-compiled github source Gearhead 1/2 sitting around?

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015

Isaac posted:

With DAs guide i might play gh1. Is gh1 a more complete game. I cant tell if gh2 is a WIP or not.

It's finished but doesn't really feel like it.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
You can also get a free one from the arena in the starting town.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015

Archonex posted:

I can throw up a pre-compiled copy of the latest version of both games later if people want.

Thanks! Nice to not have to deal with all that freepascal nonsense.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Does anyone happen to have any of the old Gearhead 1/2 community mods laying around? I remember one in particular for GH2 that added a huge variety of variants and things, like a tanky combat haiho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015

Archonex posted:

The Gearhead forums are almost completely logged on the internet archive. Same with the wiki. You might be able to get the links from there. They're also great for finding out what does what if you're too lazy to read the in-game manual. If you can find it post it here, because I want to try that out.

Also I totally forgot to upload an up to date version of the Gearhead 1 roguelike. Whoops. I'll try to get it uploaded later on today. At least I already got a link for the updated version of Gearhead 2 up! :v:

I managed to track it down, but it was hosted on rapidshare.

http://web.archive.org/web/20101225141047/http://www.gearheadrpg.com/forum/index.php/topic,1200.15.html

Marcus Garvey fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 24, 2016