Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I seem to recall reading that a number of Dredmor's design decisions, in particular having a million damage types and a ridiculously obtuse crafting system, were meant to be parodies of similar issues in other games. The problem with game design parodies being that they often end up as "ha ha ha isn't this mechanic we're forcing you to use bad?"

Dredmor's crafting system is great apart from the laborious UI where you have to click to add each individual ingredient for a recipe and scroll through some janky non-resizable windows. But I like being able to smelt and upcycle ores, there was still a reason to hold onto lots of early game junk for crafting, cooking, booze, tinkering, etc. The lutefisk cube lets you turn any item into lutefisk, which can be sacrificed en masse at fish altars to get enchantments on your gear.

There's loads of neat ideas and I love the art style. There were two expansions which added some neat bits but they never addressed the slow/bad UI or the completely broken endboss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

IronicDongz posted:

Having reasons to haul around lots of items, including earlygame stuff, is a negative not a positive in a game with such limited inventory space. And turning any item into lutefisk quickly becomes a tedious chore.

They added a Pocket Dimension feature in one of the expansions where you can teleport to a personal storehouse with effectively unlimited space. Sorting all the ores and lutefisk is kind of tedious but kind of fun imo, that whole collect & organize impulse.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

IronicDongz posted:

I know, I've played since then. I think it's really bad lol

having the pocket dimension means that you have infinite storage space but all that extra storage space is much much more of a pain to actually manage and use because you have to manually walk around and pick everything in there up off the ground/place them on the ground, instead of just using them from your inventory.

optimal usage(really not even 'optimal', rather 'the minimum amount of use to make the feature worthwhile') is basically carrying all the things that can be immediately useful like consumables, wands, maybe armor swaps in your actual inventory so you can use them on the spot, and keeping all your craftables and lutefisk and garbage in a big floorpile in the pocket dimension.

I don't disagree with a word you wrote. But just as people are willing to put up with a whole sea of questionable UX decisions to play Final Fantasy Tactics, I'm able to be affectionate towards Dredmor even in spite of its clunky interface. It's just dumb fun to be a Indiana Jones style assassin / golemancer who robs vending machines.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I'm pretty deep into my best ToME run to date, a lvl 47 Thalore Bulwark. I'm clearing out orc fortresses and it's not super dangerous but it's sloooow chewing through all the elites and uniques, it feels like a combination of a big mech battle and heavyweight boxing, throwing massive amounts of damage around just to gradually wear down each foe.

This is the first time I've tried Adventurer mode, after 100+ hours of Roguelike, and multiple lives does take the sting out of RNG cheapness even if it's not a perfect solution.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Rogue Your Enthusiasm:

- dungeons are restaurant lunches, dinner parties, golf courses
- enrage mechanic vs opponents
- area bosses are shopkeepers, dry cleaner, head waiter, etc.
- main bosses include Suzie, Ted Danson, Mocha Joe. Recruit Jeff and Leon as NPC allies
- item qualities: "pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good shoes"

h_double fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 31, 2020