Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
palecur
Nov 2, 2002

not too simple and not too kind

Fallen Rib

It's a nice enough roguelike, but the crafting, as noted, is awful. Just cheat and look up the recipes, or ignore crafting entirely outside of food. Dredmor is far more generous with recipes and provides substantial storage options for all the crap you wind up hoarding, and crafting is still an awful grind in that game; without those things, the Pit's crafting is a serious wart on an otherwise pretty decent game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 2, 2002

Fallen Rib

HyperRogue does some pretty interesting things with the form -- like Hoplite, it's atypical, highly focused on movement/positioning. New 'floors' (areas of a hyperbolic plane, with movement on a polygonal grid of mixed hex- and heptagons) are unlocked by picking up treasure from your current 'floor' -- which also increases the number of enemies hunting you. Clever bit of design -- check it out if that sounds like your sort of thing.

palecur
Nov 2, 2002

Fallen Rib

Bouchacha posted:

Hopefully it comes with a paws button in case you need to take a poo poo or something

Only if you're playing in the woods, otherwise the results are...grizzly.

palecur
Nov 2, 2002

Fallen Rib

madjackmcmad posted:

I feel like the man got rooked by the publisher, who the hell cares if you have a DVD and case when you're going to make all your money on Steam

I would really like to sell a Dungeonmans Actual Treasure Chest edition, but surprise they're really Mimics. Roguelikes!

If you do add Mimics to the game they should definitely be called Chestmans. Oh, also, is the fix for all the upgrade hammers costing Tinsteel in? Because I am totally out of tinsteel and it's a pain.

palecur
Nov 2, 2002

Fallen Rib

Grabbed the first one on the list. Thanks!

palecur
Nov 2, 2002

Fallen Rib

I'm having trouble with Qud, and by 'trouble' I mean 'I might be in need of a remedial course'.

To wit -- nothing seems to, well, do anything. I rolled an esper with Beguile and time clones, and beguiled some things, but they wouldn't attack anything, and I couldn't find a way to order them to. I time fugued, and a single clone showed up, and he didn't attack anything either. Is there like a mode or something I'm supposed to use?

Also, the divider between the info panel and game window has these things, like a heart, and an arrow, and some dots? and sometimes they're green and sometimes grey? What's that about? Also, how do I read the combat log, because right now it's <heart> 2d2 (15 damage) and I have no idea how they got 15 from 2d2, there's also <arrow> some other number.

palecur
Nov 2, 2002

Fallen Rib

RickVoid posted:

Although I suppose it should have been "Come play with my CoQ, m'lady."

that's....even worse.

palecur
Nov 2, 2002

Fallen Rib

dis astranagant posted:

When you fall down the chutes there's a chance you'll be stunned in front of a weak little crab that proceeds to maul you with his 2 wimpy claws. They count as cudgels, so you should be able to halve that with a rubbergum injector.

Can someone explain what the damage expression (arrow) 8 (heart) 1d2 [9] means?

palecur
Nov 2, 2002

Fallen Rib

hand of luke posted:

An encounter with a bear faction caravan.

I saw that line of claw, claw, claw and my only question now is

did you just recreate Trigers from Dungeonmans?

palecur
Nov 2, 2002

Fallen Rib

Interesting, because I found Invisible Inc. to be a stylish, artistically interesting exercise in frustration; the timer is entirely too short when every mission chews at least 6 -- and usually 8 -- hours off a 48-hour timer, and like Massive Chalice, it makes the entire point of character advancement irrelevant when the game will be over (or the character dead) before you've had the chance to explore more than one, maybe 2 advancements at best. I really wanted to like it but I felt like it was actively preventing me from doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 2, 2002

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

during the game it's fine, but during the intro it's atrocious

What's it like having opinions this wrong

Is it itchy

I bet it itches