Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PantsBandit posted:

So I tried again to pick up Dungeons of Dredmore after dropping it a while back but good lord, that UI is seriously unappealing. I feel like there's something I'm missing because everybody raves about it but in my limited experience with it I've found it an ugly and opaque game.

Dungeons of Dredmore is an enormous slog; a lot of the concepts behind it are really cool, but the inventory management/loot/crafting system is way too complex for a roguelike. The huge sprawling levels don't help either (and the times I tried the small map mode I was extremely undergeared a couple levels deep). I'm going to go out on a limb and say that minecraft-style crafting systems shouldn't be in any roguelike.

What I'm getting at is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup completely ruined Dungeons of Dredmore for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Should I be playing Nuclear Throne with mouse+keyboard or a controller? I ask because Enter the Gungeon got a shitload easier when I switched to controller, but with Monolith, the opposite seemed to be true.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

User posted:

Is minecraft a roguelike?

On the hardest difficulty, where you lose all your poo poo when you die, I'd say it is.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Naramyth posted:

I'm looking for a party I control, not being a single hero with a bunch of AI idiots that only get killed.

Basically I want to deal with board control, permenant failure, with not a ton of story bits because this is my couch game but I need to he engaged.

So chess with extra steps? :p

It's more of a roguelike/tower defense hybrid, but Dungeon of the Endless is a good party-based game. And the plot's more of the Dark Souls style where there's story there if you care about it, but it can mostly be skipped. Unless you have a combination of characters that murder each other in one of the between-level dialogue screens.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tote up a bags posted:

Oh Hm Tangledeep is on sale. What game(s) is it most like?

Shiren the Wanderer/Mystery Dungeon, with a class system heavily inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics. There's a camp/farm area you build up that persists between runs and there's a focus on capturing monsters and raising them to be AI companions.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm getting back into Dungeonmans after not touching it for a couple years, and I put 20ish hours into it so I'm not completely lost, but I have two quick questions:
Is there any autoexplore beyond automatically walking to stairs?
Is there any downside to just playing as a Dungeonmans every time? I like doing real armor + bows.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Somehow I just today realized that Dungeonmans is 100 times better if I beeline for dungeons/floors that are "adventurous" or harder, and don't worry about clearing out floors. I'm dying a lot more now, but I'm also leveling a shitload faster and finding more appropriate loot. Playing hundreds of hours of Crawl got me deranged. Also it forces me to use all of those skills and potions.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Does ToME have a way to slow the walking speed of your character based on companions, like in DCSS? Moving slightly faster than my golem while playing as an alchemist was what made me put the game down the last time I got into it.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Dungeonmans question: What is the equipment slot on the bottom right for?

There were belts at some point during early access, and for some reason they couldn't take out the empty slot without messing stuff up.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Phigs posted:

People who play anime tiddy games or other shovelware-prone poo poo should probably have a separate account just for that stuff if they want a useful suggestion algorithm for good stuff.

Also what modern, traditional roguelike should I play first? Like from the Dungeons of Dredmor to now era. I haven't played anything younger than Nethack and wanna get into some more recent stuff.

Caves of Qud is still in early access, but its my current favorite. I got into ToME for a bit, but I lost interest because of a lot of little problems adding up.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DrManiac posted:

I jumped on Neoverse because of the steam coupon and it actually has some pretty cool systems. It's not as turbo-polished as slay the spire, but it brings some cool ideas to the table

-Every time you choose an encounter it comes with a mission you can complete for a extra reward. You don't have to complete the side mission in that encounter and the rewards can be really good so it really adds a lot to deciding which path to take.

-The game rewards you for killing monsters with exact damage by giving you extra gold and blocking the exact amount of damage by stunning the enemy taking away it's next turn.

-All the characters have multiple starter decks that tend towards one of their deck archetypes. When I play a character in slay the spire I'm normally trying to edge my deck towards something I like playing so I appreciate having the option.

-A character can equip up to 3 pieces of gear you buy with a meta currency before a run that change up how a character works. Most of the time they are straight buffs but some seem to really change up the game. Like one gives the enemy the first turn but gives you armor and a extra mana at the start of battle, or one gave you extra hp and doubled the value of your attack and defend cards but makes all the enemies stronger

I had some money on my Steam account from previous refunds, and this sounds like a good use of that.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Dredmor is my "I hate this game, also I played it for like 70 hours" game. The skill system is really fun, and the theming of the game generally worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ratt posted:

Does anyone know of any roguelikes where you control a party of adventurers, instead of a single character? Ideally one with real time combat, similar to Baldur's Gate or Infested Planet. I'm slowly plinking away on one of my own, and I'm curious how other games might approach it.

It's more RTS/tower defense than Baldur's Gate style combat, but Dungeon of the Endless is a real-time, party-based roguelike.