Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Drakenel posted:

I really do like some rougelikes. But maybe goons could give some good suggestions.

After playing the old Kameran's Eye (Or however it's spelled) I do like the friendly towns and npc's that get attacked by roaming monsters.

Is there other rougelikes that sort of have the whole 'friendly npc's about that'll either fight back or fight for you if you bail them out'? I don't mean as in party members either.

Incursion has an alignment system that can make plenty of NPCs neutral or friendly towards you, and they interact with each other all the time. You'll often run into two monsters fighting, or arrive too late and find everybody in the room slaughtered. With the diplomacy skill, you can barter with, try to recruit, or demand submission from any NPC that speaks your language.

There's no towns, but it is a very interactive dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I feel like an rear end cause it feels like this has been asked but I didn't see it in a search, but is there any good Android roguelikes out there? Tiles would be nice, less rogueish stuff (FTL, Rogue Legacy) is ok too.

Pixel Dungeon is the best Android game there is.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I like to play really random characters in my roguelikes. Would a mutant with 4 levels of Unstable Genome be the best way to do this in CoQ?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Does Brogue let you name your characters yet? It seems like such a minor thing, but it adds so much more personality when it's Doug the Donkeyheart that gets chased into a pit trap by a flaming zombie instead of just my next nameless character.

Makes the high score list much more interesting to reminisce about, too.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

You know something that would make Qud a million times better? If it didn't buffer input. When I stop hitting buttons the game needs to stop doing poo poo, not continue on for ages because I had my finger on a direction for a little too long or started hammering directions impatiently while that one plant that shoots in random directions makes every turn take ten times longer than it should.

You should never hold down a key in a roguelike. Never.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Gog.com has a sale today on this bundle of games with roguelike elements.
http://www.gog.com/promo/roguelikelike_bundlelike_70_off_winter_promo_2013

Spelunky
FTL
The Pit + DLC
Rogue Legacy

I haven't played The Pit yet but love the rest of these games, and 70% is a drat fine deal!

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I will never for the life of me understand why people cite this as a positive.

You like to have lots of control in your gaming experience, and that's fine. Some of us like to roll with the punches and try to make the best out of a unique and difficult situation. I love not knowing what my next step will have to be and I have to scramble adjust my strategy, so a random tech tree sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Pray to spaghetti code enmeshed with giant spider webs and enrobed in mysterious secret sauces:

http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/

This is wonderful news! I still come back to Incursion every six months or so because I love it so much, then it crashes and I put it back on the shelf for a while.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

MeramJert posted:

I clicked to move instead of opening my pack to down a healing potion

This is exactly why I started to use the Menu button on my phone to open my inventory instead of hitting the on screen button.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Hi Roguelikes thread. You can now purchase One Way Heroics on Steam for less than the price of a pack of gum at a convenience store. Well, bye.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266210/

I've been wanting to try this for a while now. Thanks for the heads up!

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

What's the general gooncensus on The Pit?

http://sots-thepit.com

I bought it on a steam sale for cheap and have enjoyed it and just bought the expansions during the last steam sale. I am not a huge fan of ASCII based games and enjoyed this for the ease of entry and solid controls/art/usability, which is something most rogue likes seem to actively hate.

I really like parts of it and dislike others. The "look everything up in a wiki" crafting system is the biggest turn off for me. The recipes should be better, but you just can't make them until you learn/find it. As it is, it feels like a chore to look them up outside of the game, but I feel like I'm losing out if I ignore crafting, therefore, playing the game feels like a chore.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Mark Johnson announced that starting in September he's going to do a year of full-time development on Ultima Ratio Regum. He works at a decent clip even part-time so it should be interesting to see what he does with the game as his main focus.

Knowing nothing about the man, I still have my doubts that the game will ever be his main focus. I've see his type before, being more interested in creating a sandbox than a game.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I've been playing a lot of Cardinal Quest 2 lately. Lots of things to unlock and lots of achievements to work towards.

I really like how low all the stats are. It makes gaining 1 defense or attack feel like something significant. It just seems easier to wrap my head around than games that add 24 to armor stat whenever you level or whatever. Almost has a boardgame like feel.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

New Dwarf Fortress is out:

I see Adventure Mode is still completely incomprehensible. I'd really love to stomp through a dungeon with Dwarf Fortress style combat, but always just end up wandering through the wilderness trying to figure out where I am or what I'm supposed to do until either I get crushed by the first creature I see, or I just get bored and quit. Then I tell myself it will have more direction in the next release.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bloodly posted:

Board game. Yes, I can see it.

I do wonder, though. Melee seems to get it in the neck. It can be very difficult to get enough speed to catch up to things actively trying to get away from you. And HP recovery itself is very, very low. Not in terms of the amounts the orbs give, but from the orbs showing up at all.

Of course, I also wish I could be a summoner without the hassle of 'Blocked by EXP'. It seems odd to have EXP be a resource that needs managing. It seems weird that your class skills have to share space with 'free skills'. It seems very easy to end in a situation where you have zero options(From what little I've seen of rogue-likes, this is rarely the case).

Chasing down a ranged enemy can be problematic if you only have melee attacks, for sure. I can usually chase them into a corner or just catch up with them eventually, but that often means alerting more enemies to join the fight.

I believe HP orbs only appear if you're already hurt. HP is definitely a resource you have to manage and not something you can just stand still to recover. Most of your healing comes from going to the next level, which is a complete recovery. If you're too hurt to fight any more, find your way to the exit. This will also respawn your dog, if you're a ranger.

Each game isn't actually very long, and I don't think any class lets you get more than one extra class skill, so I've never had zero options. Typically, by the end of a game, I've found a few extra skills to pick and choose from, and I leave the rest on the ground.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Can we ban the word 'roguelike' from the roguelike thread?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

what's a good roguelike with a strong necromancy system / minion summoning system.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is pretty good at both. Summoners can conjure up lots of temporary minions and necromancers/death knights can raise a small army of undead to follow them from level to level (and raise hordes of zombies that will only stay on one level).

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone played Hand of Fate?
It's not a roguelike per-se but it's a very interesting game that uses plenty of roguelike-like mechanics.

You have to descent a randomized dungeon constructed out of encounter cards from your deck and Dealers (who you play against) deck and at the bottom you get to fight a boss. Every encounter is either a combat arena, where you fight in real time, or an FTL-style multiple-options event.
It's got a great deal of replayability, since the dungeon is always randomized, and I love the real-time combat as well.

I haven't played it, but I thank you for bringing it to my attention. Becoming aware of these weird little offshoots of roguelikes is my favorite part of this thread.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Black August posted:

This still isn't a fixed problem then, as far as I'm concerned. Only neutral characters? From the Mystic? Why. No reason. It should be a guaranteed item for all three alignments in some manner, same with an Amulet of Life Saving -- make it a difficult quest, but make it guaranteed to drop in some way that doesn't demand grinding for it. That there's even a CHANCE you have to halt the game that much to poo poo around for an item is laughable game design. When you have content in a game, you put it behind locks that require a quest or a sacrifice of some sort. You so not make it a random or semi-random drop.

For the AoLS, you're talking about getting an ULTRA ending. A completely optional and nearly impossible task. Nothing should be guaranteed about it. Nothing is stopping you from getting one of the other regular victories.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

How is Desktop Dungeons? It's on sale on GOG for today.

I love it and played it to death. Get it.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Crypt of the Necrodancer is only $9 on Steam today.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/247080/

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Just chiming on to say that Dungeonmans is my new addiction.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

When you turn one in, your current character gets 2 stat points and your future characters get 1.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Burning Rain posted:

So, 868-Hack got released on Steam. I played a ton of freeware version way back when, and I probably will buy this one to support the dev, even though the differences between the two are mostly balance changes and some new abilities and enemy types. It's a really good game though, a small scale tactical roguelike where your abilities can change the playstyle completely, and each opponent has a very clear pattern to exploit. So, something in the vein of Hoplite/Depths of Tolagal. The art style might not be for everyone, but it's a very well designed game.

I can't tell from the video. Is this turn based or real time?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Awesome! posted:

maybe i'll change my mind after getting one shot randomly at the end of the game or something

Stick with it! I feel like I would have lost interest with TOME a long time ago if I had used Adventure mode.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Jesto posted:

Since the Binding of Isaac gets an honorable mention under hybrid-roguelikes, may I toss Secrets of Grindea's Arcade Mode into the ring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=xDCLz_coPHs#t=60

Relevant part of the trailer starts at 1 minute in. It's a hybrid-roguelike that mixes Binding of Isaac of Secret of Mana or Link to the Past swordplay, shielding and magic. It has a town you can grow by increasing your overall score or completing quests, NPCs to recruit and various perks to unlock. The most novel thing about it is it's multiplayer, up to 4 player online co-op. I don't think I've seen any other Isaac-like roguelike with online co-op before.

There's a demo with the Arcade Mode here, which also has online co-op in it, but only 3 floors. The current game has 12 floors and is still in development. Getting to floor 12 in the current game would be a challenge for plenty of Isaac masters, I wager.

https://www.secretsofgrindea.com/index.php/demo

Random Arcade boss screenshot for those who don't like videos. Also, yes, that's a magical cloud pooping out lightning bolts. It's one of the few summons you can choose in the magic skills. :3:

Thanks for bringing this up. I tried the demo and found it quite fun. I look forward to getting this when the full release is ready.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

URR (everyone's favorite non-existent game) just added procedurally generated faces which pull data from genetics and culture. The goal is that you'll be able to ascertain plenty of background information based on just looking at people's faces (e.g. skin color, hairstyle, piercings, etc).

He's doing everything possible to avoid adding any gameplay isn't he?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh :( that's a shame. I liked how I didn't have to worry about food anymore and everything was auto-identified. I also thought the interface was super-spiffy and cool, but I suspect that's also because I hadn't looked at Stone Soup in maybe 3-4 years.

As a melee character, you don't have to worry about food in DCSS anymore either. Corpses are so plentiful, you rarely have to eat any of your permanent food, and weight limits are removed, so you can carry around giant stacks of food anyway. Give it another shot, I think you'll like it.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

uPen posted:

HJKL movement is great once you get used to it, don't get a numpad.

Yup. At first it will be slow and you'll make a lot of mistakes, but don't get frustrated. I learned it by playing Crawl Webtiles on the couch next to my toddler as she watched Sesame Street. Now I don't even notice that I'm not on a numpad anymore.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Okay, well, at least you're consistent then. :v:

Angband is still being updated, as are a handful of its variants. And aside from the lack of autoexplore (which would very rapidly get you killed), I don't know what quality-of-life features it's missing nowadays. Vanilla Angband in particular is vastly more streamlined than it used to be, and an aggressive player could probably beat it in 8-10 hours.

Does it still require creating macros for every spell, or pressing four keys to cast every magic missile?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Go right.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Finally picked up Sproggiwood for Android this morning. This is the phone game I've been dreaming of for ages. :bubblewoop:

Also, it's on sale!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freeholdgames.sproggiwood&hl=en

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Well I'm discovering on Savage mode and loving it, so you know. Different boats, different floats.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I had no idea there was so much negative opinion about Darkest Dungeons. I just fired it up again recently and I'm loving it all over again. It's pretty grognardy, with it's boatload of stats, so if you like to see every detail about your attack choices, it's the game for you. The fact that things can go drastically wrong at at any time adds a lot of tension and makes every attack feel important.

I can see how it wouldn't be for everybody, but I think it's fantastic.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

The Soldak games are the only Diablolikes that I feel like I can enjoying playing Ironman. Picking a randomized class combo and the really varied starting quests and events make every game pretty different. It makes it so I don't mind starting over.

Are there any other action RPGs that feel that way that I've been missing?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Nuclear Throne was also added to the bundle today. For those people who have been meaning to check that out but haven't yet for some reason. (Me)

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

poemdexter posted:

I appreciate Dungeonmans because one of the monsters is 3 tigers standing on top of one another with the top one wearing a hat.

The triger is maybe the best creature I've ever seen in a video game. To this day, it still makes me laugh.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

So majestic.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Woah, that's an interesting take. Whenever I see the option for damage number pop-ups, I turn it on right away. I always like having more information about my actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I haven't tried it, and the reviews aren't promising, but this "deck building roguelite" is free on Steam today: Destiny or Fate