Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I haven't tried it yet, but Ironcast describes itself as a Puzzle Quest meets FTL Roguelite. That might be worth checking out. It's on sale at Fanatical for $3 now. https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/ironcast

Then again, I've never heard anybody talk about this game, so it's probably mediocre, and might be more of an example of what not to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

victrix posted:

The name isn't great, the graphics are rear end, and it looks like an intimidating bullet hell, despite actually being one of the smoothest onramps to that style of game... maybe ever.

This is what I needed to hear to convince me. I've been hearing its praises in this thread for years but when I went to the steam page it looked like a hard as nails bullet hell game, so I just thought "Oh, it's one of those. People love those but they aren't for me."

How long does a typical run take?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I've been playing Inkbound nonstop lately. It's really loving good.
With the exception of some quests.

I don't really mind the arbitrary checklists like that but when you reach "do this gimmick build and then reach a place that only spawns sometimes with an item that only spawns sometimes" type of quests I wanna grab the quest designer by the collar and shake them.

Funny enough, this makes me more interested. I love it when games throw in incentives to play in some unusual way or make a strange build.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I hear Jupiter Hell has good controller support, if you want a sci-fi dungeon crawl.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

The game does have numerous options available but there's always one clear and obvious best-in-class thing to do on any given turn which was my main complaint - I never got to think about what I had to do on a turn, the obvious solution just stood out every time.

How nice for you, Mr. Genius, but for the regular dum-dums like me, the answer is not always obvious. Trying to put together the solution is the fun part. Especially when you build a random squad and have to try to make up new strategies for them to work together.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Borderlands had the best robot fights I've played in a game. You're constantly blowing off limbs and knocking them around in a really satisfying way. Why haven't more games tried to imitate that? It's 14 years old at this point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Will progress from the Tiny Rogues beta carry over after the launch? All this talk makes me want to play, but not if I'm just going to start over again next week.