Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
It's not super rogue-likey but The Banner Saga: Factions sounds right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

BrownianMotion posted:

I know D3/PoE is sort've a roguelike on HC but are there other good roguelikes in the same vein that are recommended

Check out Zombasite. It's got a free demo (up to level six). After playing it for two hours I immediately bought it. Can't recommend enough if you're craving a diablo rogue-like. Also low-stress mode is a great way to ease into the town management aspect.

e:typing is difficult

Duderclese fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 20, 2019

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Have a conflict mechanism that doesn't involve murder. Make every creature in your game a vs. puzzle game (e.g. Tetris Attack) fanatic so you have to beat them at that game and if you win they go "it's a fair cop" and let you pass.

Sounds like a roguelike Undertale.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
Door in the Woods help needed! Spoilering for people who don't want scenario spoilers.

So I opened the puzzle box in the final scenario. Which spawns the @ and is cool and good and real neat. I love that it bleeds into other game modes and is (seemingly?) impossible to kill. However I'd really like to be able to play some of the other modes I haven't beaten without a real-time monster following me and taking a large sanity hit right at the beginning. I'm assuming I have to find the second puzzle box the note in the first alluded to. But I have no clue where the "park" is or how to find the house North of it. Anyone have one neat trick that demon-clones hate?

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

ZearothK posted:

Any opinions on the Streets of Rogue character pack?

[edit] I'll probably grab it anyway, it's pretty cheap and I've got way more than what I paid for in entertainment from this game

I purchased it on release before steam was even advertising it. Much for the same reason you have here. Thus far the new classes add a lot of different ways to play the game. Courier has it's own mini game as a big quest. Like you said, I'm 100+ hours into a game I spent :tenbux: on. Gotta support goon devs!

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Sorry to quote myself.

Just wanted to say I've had a lot of fun with Door in the Woods. Gameplay is a solid medium in depth but I really dig the graphics and atmosphere. The ability to unlock different modes with different victory conditions is a bunch of fun too. I've gotten about 20hours into it before taking a couple week break to prevent burnout. Pretty solid :10bux: in my opinion.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

beer gas canister posted:

Just played Haque for the first time, which is also in that bigass itchio bundle. If anyone needs first RL this would be a good candidate. It's pretty easy, health is abundant, but it forces you to consider positioning and mild mob handling. It's fun! https://supertry.itch.io/haque

From last page.

Did you go to your hall of champions or whatever it's called after clearing the game? poo poo gets real weird real fast. the post game was my favorite part of the story.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

a lot of people are hopping over to https://breadnroses.net/ right now as a replacement. it doesn't actually cost money to reg right now

Asking me for a $10 donation to view forums. Womp womp.

Edit: VVV thanks!

Duderclese fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 24, 2020

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This thread reminded me to pick In Celebration Of Violence back up and it's real good now, got my first endboss clear.

Just wanted to say this thread inspired me to purchase this game on steam. It is 100% my poo poo. If you're into roguelikes with little to no explanation it's just wonderful. :3

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm pretty skeptical about the combination of early access + indie localization, but $9 is a pretty reasonable price point. I'll give a shot and report back.

e: it's incredibly janky, and the control scheme is basically trying to re-invent RTS controls from scratch. the translation is serviceable at best (you can mostly tell what's going on but it's stiff and unnatural, and some menu options are incorrectly labeled). there might be a decent game buried in there somewhere but I don't feel charitable enough to dig for it.

I appreciate you biting the bullet on this, I definitely would have spent $9 to be disappointed as, at first glance, this definitely seems to have promise.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
Well you see due to the Berlin interpretation: :goonsay:

I adore this thread, this is a tired topic.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Jeza posted:

when will we get the Discworld roguelike we deserve

Whenever someone takes the time to program in sewer ants. And possibly some sort of mathemagic.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Zedlic posted:

Playing and enjoying Loop Hero I wonder what a Slay the Spire style game with randomized/auto battles would look like. Let me pick my cards and items but each fight is up to RNG.

The concept reminds me of why I like Football Manager; it's liberating to only be responsible for picking and managing the team but each game is up to my players.

I played it for a couple hours before beating the demo. I definitely appreciate the setup and let the engine do all the work aspect. Very relaxing.

I wonder if they lowered the difficulty for the demo to lure people in? I'm definitely interested in throwing money at them when it becomes available.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Jedit posted:

It's actually used to unbreak stacking attack speed, which was trivialising certain boss encounters.

Oh thank God. I was concerned at first because dodge stacking was my first victory in the demo. Glad to see a quick balance adjustment implemented in a young game.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Jedit posted:

That's been fixed too; dodge is now capped at 75%. They've mainly acted to let you make your hero strong in a variety of ways, but not infinitely strong in any. Which is good, because the alternative was to make the encounters more difficult and in the process shut out any strategy that wasn't degenerate.

I'm in full support of this too. I'm fairly certain I only had about that much dodge with a boatload of counter for good measure. Game good, can't wait to give them money for it.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

BurningBeard posted:

Hey looks like Star Renegades made its way to ps4. I caught a glimpse a while back. Any good?

Gameplay loop is excellent. Dialogue, as mentioned, is hot garbage. Thankfully I haven't read more than four lines as you can almost completely skip it.

My favorite things about the game are the graphics and combat feel. The hits are satisfying in a way lots of games miss.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

And also where? I bounced off Tangledeep hard, but those mods would probably make me give it another shot.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

why have I been sleeping on Streets of Rogue? I am in love with causing chaos in this messed up city.

I have several hundred hours in SoR and still pop on for the daily runs. Game is extremely good. Shame the thread died.

Kchama posted:

I've fallen in love with the Zombie character for sheer chaos.

Zombie was my first win. I was voted mayor by a horde of zombies. hilarious.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I remember it being talked about a while ago but does anyone have any tips for cultist simulator? My most successful run thus far I kinda seemed to hit a brick wall and eventually just crumbled after about an hour of making no progress.

Mainly wondering if I should be spreading out or leaning in to one of the three main stats to start. Last run I went reason/passion which was good when I couldn't seem to make any money off of a level three(maybe four?) passion skill.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
Awesome! Thanks for the tips. Even having read that I don't feel particularly spoiled, which I really appreciate. I just happened to pick the game up this week for $3 google funbux and I'm really digging it.

Reading your post I can tell my problem was being afraid to publicly speak about lores. The tooltip seemed to imply it would give me notoriety, which I really didn't want.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Yeah, I assumed that too my first time playing, after all there's plenty of other options to just shoot yourself in the foot.

One last tip: the patron Sulochana Amavasya is nominally only useful for characters pursuing the Dancer endings. She doesn't offer commissions. But in reality she's the best one: talking to her opens up a slot that you can put any card in for 60 seconds, and when a card is slotted its timer stops. So if you have something temporary that you need to keep around and you can sacrifice your Talk slot, she's a lifesaver. This is basically the only way to keep Influences around long enough to combine or use them, for instance.

Thanks so much for the tips!

please knock Mom! posted:

I'm a few runs in and what's been working well for me is spending a good while at the start of a game getting the basics in order. 4 in every stat, bunch of cash, steady job, collect some people. Try not to get in trouble, mystique is fine. That's usually when I start working on buying books and reading them, saving up the poetry/essay books for when I want to get the related skill to 5.

Painting is a very nice job.

For the life of me I cannot figure out the formula to make money from painting. All I do is generate a lot of mystique, occasionally notoriety. And of course sweet paintings with weird rear end pigments.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How is In Celebration of Violence? It's on the Switch, which I did not know.

I really enjoyed ICoV for several hours. It ended up being a bit too hard for me, which is surprising as I'll bash my head against most things until I learn. But as I recall it is a very inexpensive game, definitely worth a shot for a switch rogue like.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Icov also has some pretty serious metaprogression elements - permanent stat increases (that are eventually arguably a trap but it takes a long rear end time so hopefully by then you know what you're doing), and a significant resource carryover from one run to the next one. And only the next one, but if you get a lot of stuff to use at the start of one run odds are it will be even morw successful, giving you more stuff for the next.

I got the hang of it in a reasonably timely fashion.

I'd sure appreciate some tips. As I enjoy the game, just felt like I didn't know how to progress beyond "get good".

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Solvency posted:

A new space roguelite called Lilith Odyssey released their demo today on Steam and so far it's pretty wild. The basic idea is you take your randomly generated space family and have to navigate them to the promised land/planet of Lilith, all the while having to feed their faces and somehow keep the ship running. It's got some crazy features like a GTA style radio, planet exploration and building, and micromanagement of your characters life. My second play through I was a 72 year old Grandpa, transporting my wife and two grandchildren through the stars. There are also some interesting sliders you can micromanage, including masturbation frequency, which for that 72 year old grandpa was 2.8x a day and that was without me even touching the slider. :chanpop:

Eventually poor old grandpa kicked the bucket after starving to death while getting food for his family on a distant planet.

This is a crazy game and I'm going to have to mess with it a bit more before I decide to buy it, but so far it's pretty out there, and the demo seems to be pretty much the full game so it's probably worth your time just for the oddness of it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1450800/Lilith_Odyssey/

I gave this a shot. After a few frustrating minutes of following the tutorials instructions I had to go to the main menu and reload in to get my spaceship to leave the first planet. I then spent ten minutes doing nothing while flying to an ambiguous destination, which I ended up not being able to find after spending five minutes on top of the dot on the map.

This is just a bit dense. Sounds like you had a lot of fun, but I could hardly make hide nor hair of it.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

beer gas canister posted:

Dungeonmans is so good. I always get attached to my characters.

Dungeon mans is the first rogue like that made me honestly consider if I should press my luck, or retire and become a skill tome for the next tries.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

victrix posted:

I did and liked the setting a lot, but the combat fell absolutely flat for me and I stopped playing

This is largely my experience. Game looks and sounds great, plot is neat. But the grid combat bored me to tears after the second boss. It's very repetitive. I may actually watch some VODs of someone beating it for the story experience.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah, Marine with Tough as Nails is the only build I've been able to win as but even playing that now I hardly feel tanky, much less once I reach Io and beyond. I'm not sure how to be overflowing with medkits since I seem to average only one per floor and I don't see how it's possible to clear most floors without taking one med chest worth of healing in unavoidable random shot damage :(

I mostly play on Hard but have tried Medium as well and had the same problem there. I'm just going to shelf the game, I backed it early in EA and have tried playing it several times along the way but had this same frustration each time.

For what it's worth this is also the same exact reason I find Cogmind unplayable :v: Something about these games just feels bad to me, it's not about difficulty but more about immediately losing interest in a run once something goes wrong that I couldn't have avoided, even if it didn't kill me. I want to have to use my resources to cover my mistakes, not just because I revealed an enemy and their shot rolled a hit. If I can't mitigate it then just go whole hog like xcom and make my character paper-thin and expendable.

Have you tried a melee monster marine? I won on my fifth run ever today. Funnily enough that's the build which I first best DRL with. You really get to a point where you feel basically unkillable. Game good, y'all.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

cock hero flux posted:

At a glance, it seems like exactly the same game. I had decided to wait until it was completely finished to check it out because while I was interested in an updated version of DRL, I wasn't interested in a version of DRL that had half the features missing. What you're describing is exactly the same game except that it is now very annoying to play because there have been small mechanical alterations which have rendered most of the fun and interesting techniques from DRL(firing at noises, getting up in something's face with melee, dodging projectiles while shooting) non-viable, reducing the game to standing behind cover and shooting at things. This post has done far more to discourage me from playing this game than any number of posts complaining about it would have.

My two wins thus far have been melee marines. I can't get to Io on anything else, apparently.
Just wanted to throw this in here. I like to play fast and loose and so far as I can tell once you get VAMPYR up and running you're basically un-killable unless you run into a room stuffed with end game enemies.(And even then, this worked just fine the last 2 levels of the game for me)

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

bees x1000 posted:

Cool, I hadn't noticed. Maybe they should have a +XP popup message like when clearing special levels.

So I'm working on a Gun Kata build and have to choose:

decisions...

My other pistol is a 9mm calibrated with Molten 4, I ain't dropping that

In my experience they do. It's usually something like "who needs lights anyway" for the dark event. Or " the hunter becomes the hunted" for the hunt event. Etc. And it pops up with big red text and tells you how much XP you got.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

It took us years to finally get this cool thread title, I don't want to change it to something else yet

Gonna have to agree with this.

For rogue like content: Someone sell me on Cogmind. Today is my birthday and I've got about five rogue likes on my wishlist, and I'm buying myself a dang present.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Serephina posted:

I will forever cheerfully shill for Cogmind!

It's a traditional RL made with a lot of modern elements, eg tileset, sfx, ambient background sounds, etc. Dev writes huge deconstructions on the game and plays it a shitton himself; I say this to emphasize how much polish has gone into it as I know the pricetag is higher than normal.

Game is, in a nutshell, someone taking the idea of item destruction and running with it. You're a totally modular smooth sphere, and everything in the game is an item you scrounge (or blow off the opposition) and strap onto yourself, and so gear turnover is high intentionally. Different parts have different themes that require different support parts; energy is infintie but needs a strong reactor and good heat sinks, kinetic guns require ammo efficincy and give each other recoil but will eventually spec into target penetration and crit rates. Do you want armour and heavy treads to carry them, or hover and combat computers to play rocket tag? etc.

The world is a massive robotic ant farm that you've been dropped into blind; finding out why and how the worker bots do what they do, how reinforcements are called if you bother the workers, what all these room machines do, oh and why am I a robot and where am I? are all things you do via exploration of the facility while trying not to kick over the ant hill too much and get swarmed. Game has a crappton of lore hidden in it, with multiple mutually exclusive factions to ally yourself with (if you live long enough to meet them in the midgame), something like 9+ endings depending on what you do in your run and how hard you want to make things for yourself.

Cogmind's major caveats is that learning it can be hard at first, and the most instinctual RL habits (clear enemies, explore level fully) will have you constantly triggering death spirals in the early game which can be frustrating. Also that 'builds' aren't really a thing until the start of midgame. To compensate for that the dev released an alterate "rpg-like" mode where you get xp for kills, can repair your gear perpetually and basically play the Cogmind world without having to digest its more unique mechanics. Oh, and it now has difficulty settings.

You should buy Cogmind.

Sold! I can only assume you have a degree in creative writing, or marketing. Probably both.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
So on a lark I downloaded the FAngband 2.0 someone linked earlier in the thread. I have a fair bit of rogue-like experience(some 300+ hours in qud, 400+ in ToME4, etc.), but I'm having a lot of trouble making anything but a bump-attack fighter work in this. Anyone have a good resource I could read on how to play? Googling "how to play FAngband" did not yield helpful results.

For reference, I'm pretty inexperienced at ASCII rogue-likes; and obviously part of the fun is dying to that purple Y because you didn't know it was a super yeek. I'm not opposed to flat-out spoilers, but I'm really just looking for a newbie guide.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Kanos posted:

Pure mono-path lightning builds have the tools to trivially win the game without branching out ever. Whenever I get tired of dying horribly on gimmick characters I run a lightning build and win basically every time because it's so strong and easy to play.

Care to elaborate? I'm dumb and bad at this game, apparently.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Kanos posted:

The build that works really well for me is generally something like this:
  • Start with Lightning Bolt, obviously.
  • Your next pickup will be Chain Lightning, followed by Death Shock. These two spells are your powerhouse workhorses that will do the majority of your killing; CL is for killing huge mobs of stuff, Death Shock is for killing portals and small groups of tougher enemies. Death Shock also conveniently owns a lot of the common lightning resist mobs.
  • Get Thunder Lord. At this point CL should start becoming a ridiculous room sweeper.
  • Get Thunder Strike and the Blindcasting upgrade. This provides you with crowd control on targets you can't just annihilate, good single target damage, and the ability to snipe stuff from over walls, which is hugely important.
  • Get Lightning Form. It's an insanely good spell that provides both a ton of survivability(physical and lightning immunity) and also an insane amount of mobility - now Lightning Bolt is a teleport spell, and Thunder Strike lets you teleport over walls.
  • Get Lightning Frenzy and Arch Sorcerer to stack more damage.
  • Get Arc Lightning. This will become your default "move around with lightning form" spell and it does a huge amount of aoe damage in the process.
  • Get Conductance and upgrade it with the Resistance Debuff and Multicopy options. This is your final sanction against tough single target enemies and also breaks lightning immunes in half. Casting an upgraded Conductance on the final boss and hitting him with an upgraded Thunder Strike can do hundreds of damage on its own in addition to stunning him.

Once you have all of this stuff(which should be doable by the early teens or so, depending on circle luck), you're pretty much cruising and can focus on upgrading your spells or picking up extra damage adds like Holy Thunder. Priority for upgrades at this point should be Arc Lightning(echo flash is BUSTED, as is number of targets). Increasing the cascade ranges/numbers on Death Shock and Chain Lightning is both hilarious and can lead to very high spell efficiency because you can clear entire floors with just a couple of well placed casts, but they're not really needed to win.

For play strategy, aside from going for lightning/sorcery circles, once you get CL/Death Shock you really want to focus on wide open floors with relatively densely packed enemies that let you flex your massive area of effect power. Once you get all your synergies rolling you can wipe floors like that in just a couple of casts, whereas the rat maze floors with tons of blind corners and spread out enemies are your weakness and they will drain a ton of your resources to clear.

Once you get to the final boss just Conductance him and drop Thunder Strikes and Death Shocks on his head until he explodes.

Thanks for this! Will give it a go real soon. This game, more than most, feels real frustrating to me. I know I SHOULD be good at it. But I'm just not. Yet.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there an FTL thread with a more recent post than 2017 lol

This is probably the best place to post about it if you want anyone to respond. :shrug:

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Chinook posted:

Shattered Pixel Dungeon continues to be my roguelike of choice, which is partially due to the fact that I’m able to play it on my phone.

There are lots of fun things to learn, and no good central source to learn them. I’ve ascended with every class but the mage and I think I’m on a good run to complete that soon.

I hadn’t played for a couple of years because there wasn’t an iPhone port but once it came out I jumped back in. So much has been added since 2018 or so.

That's another one I tried to like but I never quite 'got' it. Like, weapons and armor require higher stats, but leveling doesn't seem to increase stats? Just seemed a bit obtuse.

Or I'm an idiot. That's always an option.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

loving this.

I've played so many games that seemed to be good at first glance but then as you start putting any effort into getting better at them they start to fall apart and at that point it just feels like you wasted your effort.

This was Haque for me. I beat it on my first try. Heard it was a rogue like. Expected difficulty. Started out almost challenging and got progressively easier as the game went on. Story was alright though.

Fwiw I think dungeonmans does a great job of scaling difficulty into endgame. Obviously you could just grind characters for proofs of stremf, but I've never been one for excess unnecessary grinding.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

LordSloth posted:

Pretty much the essence of ‘you adapt to the dungeon RNG’ instead of dominating it with a build.

I wish the game told me that instead of me splatting by floor 4 every time to a dang stone statue in a locked room

victrix posted:

you're reminding me of when the dmans discord got rolling and I got to see the people who had maps COVERED in dungeons and just trillions of stermfs and map powers

they were playing a very different, much more Diablo 3/Poe endgame game than I was

Hard agree. I died to the last boss on a mans and considered that close enough to winning. Game good.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Tendales posted:

Golden Krone Hotel just a new update. There's a few new possible side branches, some balance tweaks, and a bunch more possible opening floors. I thought the game was basically done, so it's nice to see it getting a bit of love.

This is another one that just wholly eludes me. I love the ambiance of the game. Just can't get anything in it. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
How does one unlock the masteries in Demoncrawl? Also should I be playing on normal instead of easy? Thus far I only have unlocked Novice. I've beaten the first story/chapter, for what that's worth.