Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Unormal posted:

I send you a private link to the dropbox that has a current APK via e-mail, if you promise to give honest feedback! ;)

I haven't been keeping up with Sproggi - what's the target ideal screensize for mobile devices? Is it going to be a 4-5" cell phone gem or is it basically going to require a 10" tablet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:v:: Doop doop doop, gotta go bury Urist, hum de hum, wonder how long I have to wait until I can go for a drinking break aga OH MY GOD IT'S URIST HE'S DEAD RUN FOR THE HILLS :supaburn:

This sounds completely reasonable in the context of Dwarf Fortress

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Tollymain posted:

what's the current consensus on dungeon of the endless?

Mind you, it's a 'roguelite' in the sense that it has the difficulty, single-life, and randomness of roguelikes, as well as a lot of tactical elements, but isn't exactly perfectly turn-based(or ASCII) or single-character or a handful of other traditional roguelike designations.

I picked it up last year and have been following it's progress and it's really good as it stands, but clearly has a bit more polish before really feeling like it's been balanced and finished. I go through phases every couple of months where I dump a bunch of hours into the latest build and see where it is at before putting it back and waiting for it to mature some more.

brother-joseph posted:

In my opinion, it SEEMS really great at first. The problem the game has is that it very quickly ends up having a lot going on at once all the time, so you find yourself constantly pausing and micromanaging fifteen different things at once. Because of this, you end up covering small amounts of ground fairly slowly which makes the game drag a lot and seem way too long.

If there were less going on and less rooms/characters to manage, it could be a ton of fun.

This is part of the general game design and is a lot like arguing that wandering into a pack of enemies in any other roguelike "makes it too hard."

DotE is resource management that borders on survival-horror games: you've got to juggle your primary resources(science, food, industry) as well as the level resource(dust). You've got to juggle what rooms to keep lit to prevent wave spawning. You can leave a hero to work a major improvement for more resources, but it impedes your defenses. You can leave a hero in a dark room to prevent wave spawning, but it hurts your defenses. In later levels you have lots of possible paths to explore and are left with the decision of going all-in on one branch to find an exit, or trying to spread out equally.

While Dungeon isn't a roguelike properly, it does an amazing job of forcing the sort of turn-to-turn tactical decisions that roguelikes tend to do. There's never a point where you should ever end up micromanaging 'fifteen different things at once' unless you literally don't understand the way the game plays and are just sending your heroes out to open every door in sight at one time.

Cuntpunch fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 10, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

brother-joseph posted:

edit: I will shut up now. Apparently I need to learn more about Dungeon of the Endless before I start talking poo poo and I've been doing it wrong. Huh.

Anyway it's totally worth giving a shot regardless. The art style and music are kinda neat if a bit overdone these days, and the character/party system is interesting.

edit 2: Here is a good write-up on the game for anyone that wants to learn everything there is to know about the basics. It really is different than anything else I've ever played.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=203411482

It happens a lot because of the weird pseudo-turns the game uses. The gameflow is easy though:

-Open Door(start turn)
-Something is behind door(good/bad/whatever)
-A wave of enemies will spawn from any unseen rooms(unpowered AND without a hero in them)
-Turn Ends when there are no hostiles alive - this will include healing all your heroes.

But if you don't understand the 'Door = turn' it's easy to assume that there's a timer running like in most tower defense games combined with how the hero movement is all real-time, and then start opening doors as fast as possible, which will get overwhelming pretty quickly.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Zereth posted:

In the case of ADOM I don't think you're realistically able to find out about it without spoilers.

I haven't played ADOM in many, many years - but yeah, without the Guidebook listing things out I couldn't imagine actually getting very far without ridiculous amounts of frustrating trial-and-error and notekeeping.

ADOM is just full of crufty gotcha poo poo that's meant to catch out people repeatedly, over and over and over.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

brother-joseph posted:

I played a few more games of Dungeon of the Endless last night. In retrospect, I think I eventually HAD discovered the door timer mechanics before and just shitposted before I'd had my coffee. Either way I had still put down the game for a while until last night and you were right about my shenanigans. This time, I really put effort into:

- Only opening doors in a straight line from the base whenever possible, avoiding having to defend multiple paths
- Using one character to scout new doors and race back to the choke points when bad guys show up (Samus is awesome for this)
- Knowing when it is OK to give up on a floor and just take the exit. Having 3 or even 4 doors open in the crystal room can be a nightmare, so I try to leave before opening the 3rd if possible.

Doing a lot better this time. I still haven't cleared floor 11 but I did unlock 4 or so characters last night and I think I have a good feel for the game now. Honestly it's a pretty neat game, and it really is a unique experience imo.

Have any other tips? How far have you gotten?

That sums up about how far I've gotten, there's a lot of randomness to the game that adds up floor-after-floor and can take a while to get critical.

There are a few other (maybe?) not so obvious gotcha tactical decisions that hide in plain sight, especially on the later floors:

-Do you keep going down your current path, or do you try a different path closer to your crystal? The later floors especially can have 30 or more rooms and eventually you won't be able to power them all. There's a very real possibility of opening 20 rooms and not finding the exit, then needing to go down a completely new path.

-Research Management: Always know that you _have_ 3 doors left to open before you spend science on a new project.

-Team composition: Recently I've had the most success with 2 Operators and 2 Fighters. Leave the Operators in good chokepoints working a Major, use 1 fighter to 'light up' a dark room, and use 1 to open the next door. If you still have incoming, just fall back to the best chokepoint possible.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Morholt posted:

I always considered beating the ToEF to be the dividing line between early and late game in ADOM. I really like the ToEF, it's like a mid-game endgame with its own ascenscion kit (that is not too hard to build once you know what awaits you).

Yep, ToEF was the middle mark for ADOM traditionally - if your character could handle it you were probably set to cruise mode until at least the Temples unless you were really aching for an Ultra ending.

The biggest problem I have with ADOM, in retrospect, is probably how many silly bottlenecks exist to choke the RNG.

AoLS is only really important if you want an Ultra ending, sure. But Seven League Boots are pretty much standard "I need this I want this I must have this at all costs" equipment. Partly due to how fast they make you and how important speed can be, partly because it means less time spent in the overworld getting corrupted to hell and back.

Hell, the corruption mechanic in general and how *hidden* it is strikes me as particularly malicious.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

In Dungeon of the Endless I'm doing pretty well kiting enemies into the powered rooms to deal with my turrets and stuff, but the moment I pick up the crystal, every door in the dungeon pops open, and I get bum rushed. I'm assuming enemies will spawn infinitely, and that there is nothing I can do to better survive. What are your guys experience? How to make it past that point?

Ok I just fired up DotE and made a quick Floor 1 'how I handled it' guide on Very Easy(just to speed up getting this done):

This is the floor after I fully-explored it and prepared to take the crystal:

Note that the exit was, amusingly, the last room I discovered. I simply followed each branch to its end, as I discovered it.

For *most* of the floor, I kept that right-side hallway as lit up as possible. The point where that hallway connects to the exit-route I built some Prisoner Prods for additional mop-up.

I built a Food factory in the first room, and an Industry factory in its branch.

Now, after I was ready to exit, I changed which rooms I had powered. I darkened that right branch almost entirely, in favor of lighting up everything that would put monsters *between* the crystal and the exit. This meant that any monsters I needed to deal with would be coming from 'behind' the carrier, and since monsters move reasonably slowly, for the most part the carrier would be untouched so long as he could make it past that branch.

So I picked up the crystal and told the carrier to move to the exit:

I leave my spare hero in the room with the defenses, just to act as some additional damage to keep the room clear.

You'll note that the only enemies are those coming from that branch, meaning they are well controlled and contained. A few floors down, I could have built more defenses as necessary if the waves were too large.

When my carrier reached the exit:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Ah that makes sense. I'm not exploring enough I think.

The game isn't a hard race to get to the exit as fast as possible - at least maybe not until later floors - and there are advantages to opening more doors, especially once you start finding research stations.

It's only later floors when you're dealing with 30+ rooms on a floor that you have to start worrying about maybe exiting before exploring everything, just due to how chaotic things get when 20 waves hit at a time.

To elaborate further:

Dust(power) is the only floor-reset resource. Food, Science, and Industry all carryover. They tick up every time you open a door. So especially on lower floors there's a huge benefit when things are comparatively easy to trying to stockpile these resources as much as possible. What has worked well for me is trying to worry about one, maybe two resources on a floor, not all 3. If you're entering a floor low on Food, focus on food for that floor and you can probably build up a 100-200 stockpile.

After the first floor, until you have 4 heroes you're happy with, try not to drop below 50 food so that if you do find one you can hire them immediately.

Don't try to drop upgrades into every room. Usually 1-3 Majors per floor and MAYBE 1-2 chokepoints with Minors per floor should be enough to last a long while. You should be able to easily handle the first few floors without worrying about building any static defenses.

Cuntpunch fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 14, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Black August posted:

Could you just, like, make Caves of Qud? Using this engine and sprite set? Just pull the carpet out from everyone and go "Actually this is Caves, surprise, there is no Sproggiwood"

(It looks good)

Cute little goatmen would be so great.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

I picked up Dungeon of the Endless and it's pretty darn hard. I think I got most of the mechanics down but I can't figure out how to manually power or unpower rooms to control spawns. I also keep trying to err on the side of caution and stockpile as much poo poo as possible so I'm usually swimming in industry and just spending all my food on levels and new heroes.

So far I've been playing with the robot guy who gets operator at level 3 which seems really good and the fast lady with a sword. Any other combo's that are good? I'd like to get a competent strategy together so I can get further than level 3 on easy.

Middle mouse toggles power to a room, and there must be an unbroken chain of power to that room to power it('mysterious force' rooms count).

Keep enough food to pick up another hero, until you have 4 you are happy with, afterwards you can pretty safely burn it on levels with the remainder good for emergency healing, which you shouldn't be needing to do.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

ProfessorProf posted:

The unfinished aspects of CotD are mainly late-game content. There's no Zone 4, most of the doors in the hub never open, and most of the playable characters are locked/experimental.

The doors hardly even matter, since as soon as you've got a reasonable grasp on the game you're moving to Hardcore where those upgrades are pointless anyway.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Thanks, Anita. Can we get back to talking about roguelikes now?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

My least favorite part of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is how it suggests that different races of elves are more or less prone to certain attributes. What troglodyte made that oppressive decision, I wonder.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

enterprising goon 'cuntpunch' sets the record straight and shows the world just how on the edge one's opinion can be

Games are games, stats are stats, throwing a shitfit over imaginary numbers in escapism is pretty silly.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Unormal posted:

Yeah Omega was really the core technical inspiration that festered for 20 years and ended up as Caves of Qud.

Omega was my first roguelike. I was too young to make serious progress, but it definitely set me down the branch of world-with-dungeons roguelikes(ADOM,TOME,etc) rather than dungeon-crawl roguelikes(Nethack,DCSS,etc).

The only thing I even remember about it at this point, I think, is how in the very first city along the far west wall there was a...graveyard? And an encounter there with a wraith or wight or something had a chance of either nuking your lovely little level 1 character, or giving him a sweet early-game power boosting weapon.

Also red bats in Necrodancer aren't too bad to deal with: There's only two cases to be concerned about :

1. You're 'off sync' where moving will either put you immediately next to the bat(risking attack) or the bat's move will place it non-adjacent to you. In this case you just need to burn a beat, dig a wall or attack another enemy, and the bat's movement will sync it with yours again.

2. Your movements are 'synced' with the bat's - just keep moving 'around' the bat until it's movement after your places it adjacent to you.

Cuntpunch fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 1, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Unormal posted:

This pretty much describes my childhood experience, though I remember it as a hedge maze. I'd rarely make it out of the town, and when I did I'd never be able to stop myself from trying to get in as many of the mana tornados(?) as I could which would randomly mess up/improve your character.

Oh my god yes, I remember those now, too. There was some Order & Chaos alignment system as well, right, with temples for both on the worldmap?

Had to go grab a modernized Windows version and fire it up for a few minutes: http://freespace.virgin.net/davidk.kinder/omega.html

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Oh GOD the nostalgia.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A Magical Lamp posted:

Is there any good spoiler sheet for the less intuitive stuff like this in ADOM? I'm liking it from what little I've played but it's looking to be almost as impenetrable as Nethack without spoilers.

http://adomgb.info/ is everything you need to know about ADOM. It is extremely spoiler heavy, but it covers everything and is reasonably well separated out into individual dungeons/challenges so you can look up what you need to know without accidentally spoiling everything.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

And how about that Bridge Building skill.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Well that depends. The ingame achievement tracker has about 150, while also tracking which difficulty you got each on. The Steam achievements instead have 9 different difficulty versions for each.

The Steam list is just over 1300 due to permutations on difficulty *and* extra-lives-mode. So you end up with a single achievement(Reach Level 10) getting a bunch of different permutations on Difficulty(Easy,Normal,Insanity,Nightmare,Madness) and extra-lives modes(Exploration,Adventure,Roguelike) and no granting of lesser achievements on higher difficulties.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

General Teleglitch Earlygame Tip: Don't try to knife enemies - they have inertia in their movements and use it against them by standing next to the void and sidestepping them before they reach you. They die, you conserve ammo, it works really well!

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Robot Randy posted:

How do I get access to the caves of qud beta thing?

Watch the thread like a hawk for one of Unormal's giveaway posts :v:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

I think autoexplore comes down to how you're doing level generation. Old-school level gen where it's mostly boxes connected by hallways and some sort of 'run' command was fine, because it was easy enough in ADOM or whatever to get where you wanted to go and explore on your own. But when you do big open cavernous levels like TOME, Crawl, etc you really need that "ok please move me around" command.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Unormal posted:

Yeah, we've actually already reached out and got a positive response. Just depends on the scope we end up with for work-needed.

I probably missed it some pages ago, but is Qud going to hit steam as a paid game or as a F2P promotional thing for your other projects?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Unormal posted:

Qud with tiles, achivements & cards will be something like $4.99 (Early Access at first). We're internally favorable to supporting a free version outside of steam as well without some of those perks, just have to figure out the logistics/scope of that.

That seems reasonable enough, I've been playing Qud since you first released it - I even recall you asking me to help test performance on a new version a few years back, so I'm excited to see it being updated again after what seemed like a few quiet years.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

victrix posted:

Everyone who reads this thread should play Dungeonmans, it's like essence of roguelike and has an irreverent brand of humor that hit the mark for me a lot better than Dredmore did (and the designer is right here, so once you start getting annoyed with little poo poo, you can gripe to him directly, just like Qud and Sproggi!).

The Dredmor team are on the forums as well, mind you.

Fun Dredmor Fact: I believe it's the second floor which can spawn crypts, which include coffins with unique inscriptions. A *majority* of the beta testing team for Dredmor were goons, and the notable testers were all memorialized as specific inscriptions on those coffins.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume the version here is out of date then? Any way to get the new version?

1. Load thread in browser.
2. Hit F5 every 5 minutes all day every day.
3. Miss Unormal doing a keydump every single time because of real life distractions.
4. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Unormal posted:

I'm dipping my toe in the water to see if I have the :eng101: to make a 4-player co-op action roguelike thing... It's a serious technical step up from single-player, but I'm really liking this framework that I'm testing out.

I really miss old 4-player-on-the-couch xbox baldur's gate/D&D heros, and wouldn't it be cool to have a procedural roguelike one of those?

YES :stare:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

In Dungeonmans I'm not clear on something: Are Stat boosts from Proofs of Stremf one-use or do they benefit future characters as well?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Games > CoQ Talk (the roguelikes thread

(so glad to hear I can finally get some CoQ into my steam library soon, I've been jonesing so loving hard)

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Unormal, I'd say it's entirely fitting at this point to consider yourself a pimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

TOME can be fun because things happen in cycles, and you should just ride the wave for maximum enjoyment. (at least in I just want to play and bump into dudes to kill them mode, I don't understand the Insane victory folks)

You just play what's interesting, get your unlocks, understand the zones, build a foundation of knowledge - and then you wait for the new big version where (class du jour) gets buffed into serious competitive status and you play goofy poo poo while balance re-stabilizes for the next few patches.

TOME thread title explanation:

And that's ignoring the tremendous fun I had with a marauder who one-shot Atamathon because of goofy broken mechanics :P (and also ignoring the trail of dead I leave in the wake every 6 or so months when I awake and go on a month-long TOME binge)