Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oxyclean posted:

Has there been a good roguelike/lite shmup yet? (Preferably less on the bullet hell side) I kinda like some of the old school shmups like Raptor and Tyrian that gave you all sorts of neat new guns and upgrades; feel like that sort of thing would combo great with some proc-gen/run based kind of stuff, but haven't really heard of much like that.

Drifting Lands has some roguelite / run based elements IIRC and it was pretty fun. I played it a few years ago so I might be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

pumpinglemma posted:

Basically pages upon pages of “we just want to be able to join the nazi faction for the immersion”.

Colour me shocked. Last year (or the year before?) a bunch of Polish developers put out Warsaw, basically Darkest Dungeon except you're playing as the Polish resistance in Nazi-occupied Warsaw. It's loving dire as poo poo, you start meeting enemies from the Dirlewanger Brigade and encounter war crimes right from the start. Obviously a very meaningful game with a lot of important stuff to say about the horrors of life in Nazi-occupied Warsaw.

On the Steam forums the biggest threads were "Can you add in a game mode where you play as the Nazis" and "Can you add in multiplayer so I can play as the Nazis". And not in any trollish shock humor kind of way, but couched in five layers of learning about history and not all SS members were war criminals you know, they were just trying their best in a difficult situation and furthermore...

All from people with names like Eisenadler. The amount of unironic nazi gamers is shockingly big.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's pretty OK. I bought it from a summer sale a few years ago, and it's a fun shooter, kind of like a roguelite Soldat. I kind of bounced off it pretty early but that may have been because it was still in Early Access.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bought Arcanium. First impressions: love the art style, love the UI design, love the basic game flow and the Rosemary's Choice style deck building. Got my rear end handed to me by a super elite spider, RIP animal heroes.

But since the game is in early access it doesn't have any kind of tutorial so any tips I should absolutely know?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sell me on Caves of Qud. It's been a hot minute since I really got my teeth into a proper old school roguelike.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's the only major modern successor i can think of to the ADOM / Nethack branch of roguelike design, but is significantly better than either of those games in terms of the mechanics serving its overall design goals instead of undercutting them, and in terms of usability

See, this is the kind of stuff that's selling me on the game more than the amusing enough stories of hugging pyramids or becoming a trans-dimensional slave driver.

Does the game have a concrete goal to strive for, like fetching the Amulet of Yendor, or is it just open-ended "do what you want" kind of stuff?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

thehoodie posted:

I should play Darkest Dungeon again. Bounced off it the first couple times I tried but it seems like a very good game that I should like (and it appears to be on Switch, hmm.... - how is that version?)

The Switch version is fine. Runs well, no major bugs or problems I ran into during my 10+ hours of playing it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Loot River popped up on Game Pass so I gave it about an hour before realizing I wasn't having any fun at all.

The game's central idea is pretty neat: navigating around flooded cities on platforms shaped like Tetris pieces. You control your dude with the left stick and the platform you're currently on with the right stick. The combat is trying to be kind of soulsborne-ish, except the game is viewed from an almost top down perspective and the characters are tiny and often poorly contrasted against background textures.

This leads to a game where the combat just feels rotten. You're supposed to be doing very precise dodges, except it's hard to make any drat sense of the attack animations. Your weapons do extremely little damage, your attacks come off slow and sometimes the weapons just almost seem broken, because they have such small attack ranges. I found myself going "wait, I must be using this wrong" multiple times, but never could figure out what (if anything) I was doing wrong. The game also features typical roguelite loot, except it's insanely limited. You just get the same two starting weapons over and over again until you grind up enough meta currency to unlock new drop options, which takes several runs per item. It's just not fun.

It feels like they had one good idea (zooming around on Tetris pieces) and then couldn't exactly figure out how to round out the rest of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBGwv2TfoF8

Thirsty Dog posted:

Aren't flashing sprites explicitly just enemies that will explode if you let them get close?

Yes.

Bosses aren't flashing sprites, they are larger than normal mobs and often have unique sprites. The flashing enemies are suicide bombs.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 8, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Duderclese posted:

Oh nice! Thanks for the swift replies. Love this dang thread.

Content: Backpack Hero is cool and good. The demo is, indeed, a whole rear end game all in itself.

Yeah I just played the demo for about an hour. Kinda bummed I can't buy it right now but I guess I can keep playing the demo.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Duderclese posted:

No joke: sorry to hear that. I understand. As one who has never been profitable, in my entire forum history. The game still has so much depth before buying in.

Oh 100%, and it went on my wishlist immediately. Definitely buying the full version the moment it comes out.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This thread is expensive.

I've bought numerous games, the latest being The Last Spell. It's fantastic so I'm not complaining too much.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sab Sabbington posted:

I was skeptical about the emphasis on shitloads of enemies at first, it ends up feeling extremely good to have to choose between clearing grunts or prioritizing more dangerous targets.

Same here. After the scripted failure I was kind of primed to think I was supposed to lose several matches in a row before unlocking poo poo, but after one loss it just kind of ... clicked into place and I started getting victories. Sometimes with zero panic, sometimes with my wizards taking some damage before the final enemies fell.

It feels drat good.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Please do, this seems cool!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bought Alina of the Arena and holy crap it's fun. They definitely just ripped off Slay the Spire and added a hex based positioning system, but the combination super works. Only had time to play one game so far, but if it wasn't already almost bedtime I'd be playing more.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alina of the Arena is insanely good. It's completely taken over my free time. Deck building plus tactical turn based tactics is extremely my poo poo, and I desperately want more.

Are there any similar games I could also get?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Walh Hara posted:

Trials of Fire!

I've got Trials of Fire but I haven't played it since a few years back. I guess I should give it another shot!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Magitek posted:

On that note, something that wasn't obvious (to me, at least) is that you can use Block cards to reload if you drag the card onto an unloaded weapon.

Holy poo poo.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

victrix posted:

Alina owns

And yeah, you can do more once you realize you can and should carry an extra weapon for some builds - swapping takes no time, and having a ranged weapon on hand can be a life saver, especially early on when your deck isn't developed - just remember you're locked once you use the weapon for a hand, can't swap after that in the same turn

Yeah I should get more into swapping weapons. I typically only use one set and throw the rest at my enemies, only replacing them permanently when I find something that super works with my build (like a weapon that inflicts Burn on a Pyromancer).

I had absolutely no idea you could reload ranged weapons with blocks though, and it kinda revolutionizes everything because until now I thought a ranged build was drat near useless without Run & Gun (a power that automatically reloads your weapons every time you move).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mithross posted:

I loved it.

It is a slow deliberate top down roguelike, with probably the best translation of Souls-like combat to 2d, instead of just blindly copying the actual combat moves without realizing why those moves worked in 3d. It is opaque and more opaque and in some places the developer has figuratively left you a CIA blacked out document to try and learn from.

If you enjoy the combat system then it's well worth digging in until you get past the obtuseness and start your murderfest in truth, there's a lot to like and you eventually get the occasional steamroll death build going just like other games in the genre.

Looks like it's also available on consoles, so this might be the perfect "sit on the couch with my elderly lap cat" game. I'll check it out.

Anyone have a report on the Xbox / PS4 versions? Is either better than the other?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

grate deceiver posted:

Well good news, enough people are asking for it on the steam forums that the dev will give it higher priority.

But the controls are kind of a mess anyway. For example, there's separate slots for left/right shoes/gauntlet/pauldrons, but if you select one on the ground and press the 'use' key, it will only equip the left ones. Thought this was a bug of some kind, but no, there's also 'alternative use' - you instead hold the key, and that lets you equip the right-handed stuff, lmao.

This is impressively obtuse. Or pedantic. Or both.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK I bought In Celebration of Violence and played a half hour. Trip report:

After a cheesy intro I spawn into the world as a peasant armed with a pitchfork. Every place has a ton of icons, stalls, outlines, all with purple numbers nearby. No idea what they do. No idea what my HUD elements even mean. Figure out the controls, talk to some people, wander out of a castle. There's a guy outside standing near what looks like a staircase that glows when I go near it. I guess this is the first dungeon? Press interact and a black screen with "0% violence" pops up and I'm back at the character creation. I guess I died.

I'm a peasant again, and this time I don't jump into what is actually not stairs but appears to be a well of some kind. I find a mirror that leads me to a desert. There I kill some people. The combat has real weight to it, and feels like a very good representation of soulsborne combat translated into a top down perspective. They didn't just outright mimic the mechanics, but managed to capture the feel.

After some wandering around and killing people I find a katana to replace my pitchfork. Shortly afterwards I find a lot of fire, and in the fire what looks like a burning sword. When I interact with it, my katana starts to shift colours between red and yellow, so I guess it's on fire now. Many more people die, I find some potions (it is not explained at all what they do, just like in old roguelikes). One teleports me. The other is a grenade, I guess, because it blows up some chests and gets me an achievement for good lockpicking.

Some more wandering, pick up things, eat drumsticks. Some meters go up, some go down. People die. I find a mirror that leads me to CAVE. Inside the cave a boss lifebar pops up warning me I'm about to battle with "THE LOST AND THE HUNGRY". I prepare myself for an epic battle, but the lost and the hungry turn out to be literally that: a bunch of scrubs armed with pitchforks who I mercilessly cut down with my burning katana.

My reward for killing the boss is "THUNDERCLAP" but I have no idea what it is or how to use it. I have also picked up various other things including a propeller and The Horn of the North, but I have no idea what they are either, or how to use them. After killing a ton of spiders in a different cave I encounter some sorcerers and their bowmen in a hut. They nuke me with seeking blood missiles, and I get an achievement for Mutually Assured Destruction. This doesn't immediately make a lot of sense because I seem to still be alive and have a lot of HP, but there's a heartbeat sound and a number above my health bar keeps ticking up, as my HP is decreasing.

Shortly afterwards I die, having accomplished 74% violence.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on, but I had a good time so far. For 12 bucks on the PlayStation Network this feels like a very good buy.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Thanks for the tips!

I figured out how to use spells and immediately killed myself with a thunderstorm that blasted my rear end with lighting.

This game owns.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

John Lee posted:

Playstation Network? Does ICoV have controller support now? That might get me to play it.

Yeah full controller support. It's also on Xbox. I assume the PC version also has controller support because you'd have to be a special kind of moron to add controller support to your game and then not add it to the PC version cough blizzard and diablo 3

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mithross posted:

I feel like it was called XP specifically to trick you into thinking the best use for it was stats, since that increases your "level" (which is just a record of how many stat points you've bought). It's another layer of obfuscation.

Apparently also switching your gender during character creation burns XP and doesn't actually seem to affect anything. I discovered this after accidentally blowing ~90 XP on gender swaps trying to see if any of the six options did anything.

90 XP might not be much when you get good at the game, but it sure was a lot for me :v: Oh well, plenty more where that came from!

I love that the game feels very system driven, almost like a survival game, which leads to fun interactions. I managed to electrify my weapon on one run, and then every time I picked up anything made of metal, lightning also struck near me, which was a fun surprise.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I found a Belt of Strength that starts to make everything all chromatic aberration, caused a ton of ghosts to appear and attack me, and made my weapon attack at roughly 1% speed.

In Celebration of Violence is a weird game.

I also ended up in a dungeon that seemed to end in a dead end. Are there hidden paths or puzzles in this game?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Chinook posted:

I want to check out this In Celebration of Violence game maybe. Why is everyone talking about it suddenly? I don't remember hearing much about it before and it looks like it's been out for a few years. (I'm sure there's a reason and I missed it.)

Someone mentioned it in the thread, I thought it looked like my poo poo and bought it, and started posting about it and I guess that pulled out all the ICoV degens out of their dens to also talk about it.

E: key sent

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 15, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mithross posted:

I would get a lot of use out of that key if you haven't passed it on yet. I hadn't heard of it before but looking at the steam page it is exactly my jam.

Sent you a PM.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mithross posted:

Thanks a ton! I fired it up before work today and it is in fact my jam.

Glad to hear it! I bought it when it came out in Early Access and had a good time back then, but they've improved the game a bunch since then. My brief check out session yesterday turned into several hours of intense playing, so I'm definitely recommending Arcanium.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've been playing a lot of Arcanium and I'm having a hard time moving on from using Angorn and Leon as my two staples. Angorn brings a ton of healing and shielding, and Leon has easy and early access to taunts and shields.

I tried a run with the Ox tank replacing Leon, and it didn't go super well. He can do more damage than Leon, but my offlanes were suffering a lot more punishment because I couldn't reliably taunt for them.

The game's great though. Definitely recommend it for anyone who likes deckbuilders.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jedit posted:

If you try playing Shinzo the same way you do Leon then you will come to grief. Half of Shinzo's kit is splashing Resilience, spikes and block onto his allies so that they can take the hits. A Shinzo/Angorn team leans heavily into Nature damage through debuffs, which also means they're stronger in Uzir or the Scorched Lands where enemies won't have Nature Resistance. They're best paired with Ragnarok, whose minions are extra ablative armour, or Tara to synergise with Angorn's poison skills.

Yeah, it took a little while for Shinzo to start clicking but now he seems like a lot of fun. Still need to unlock a bunch of characters though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bought Tiny Rogues and Brotato due to this thread, both seem excellent so far. Brotato runs super well on the Steam Deck and obviously plays really well, too. Didn't try Tiny Rogues because I suspect it wouldn't be that great until it gets good controller support, if it ever does.

For the price they're asking for those, they're really no-brainers.

Seconding the "Brotato pick up sounds are too wet" comment, as well as the "these aren't potatoes, they're obviously eggs" one.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I tried the roguelike deckbuilder racing game (Deck RX?) on Steam, and it could be cool but the Kickstarter demo they have available does an awful job of explaining its mechanics and it just feels like there's theoretically a lot of variables, but only a couple of them seem meaningful.

On the other hand, Soulstone Survivors feels like an excellent Vampire Survivors like. It's kinda more physics based than several others, and it leans HARD into the "fill the screen with your attacks" thing, so it's super satisfying to play. Went on my wishlist immediately.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Voidigo is so god drat good. Jumping between enemies is satisfying and the weapons are amazing. I love the Rat King gun which launches angry rats at the enemy which then chomp at them with really cartoonish sound effects.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ExiledTinkerer posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/497800/view/3614733252127842932

Golden Krone Hotel continuing with More Better Goodest every which way---Steamdeck support, new branch/spells/monsters, balance/tuning changes to the entire game, etc. Hilariously, the 5th big update now since the game was meant to be done*.

drat, I guess it's finally time to dig into Golden Krone Hotel. I've bought it ages ago but never got around to playing it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Trip report after one hour of Golden Krone Hotel on the train: seems very good. It's a systems heavy roguelike where you can pull off some real weird poo poo if you put your mind to it. For instance, a lot of the enemies (and you as well occasionally) are vampires, who naturally die VERY FAST in sunlight. Don't have any handy sunlight? Shoot a stained glass window and make a vampire (or player) barbeque.

The new Steam Deck patch is also extremely well done. The game pad controls work super well, and despite some initial concerns none of the text or elements are too small for me too see clearly.

Definitely would recommend as a Steam Deck roguelike.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What are some really good Steam Deck roguelikes?

Golden Krone Castle.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

There's also mods that take away some of the rougher spots, ie. you can give yourself health recovery, the option to modify wands whenever and a bunch of other helpful little tools. Absolutely no shame in using them, I found it made Noita much more enjoyable after I got over the initial "oh let's see what this wand does, oh it blew up half the level and killed me haha that's cool" charm and started trying to push deeper into the game).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jedit posted:

Looks like this one is slightly more different than something like Knock on the Coffin Lid, which is basically a reskin of Spire with identical cards, enemies and events, but not by much.

Lol, I went to look at the Steam page for this, and from the developer response to a negative review:

quote:

We didn't mean to make "the copy of StS", it's not our goal at all,

Yeah I'm sure you just copied the mechanics, concepts, structure and literal cards of StS entirely by accident. Whoops!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The demo for Die in the Dungeon popped up on Steam yesterday. It's a roguelike die placement game and it's pretty neat so far. The idea is that you have four kinds of dice (attack, defense, healing and modifier) with various attributes, and after rolling you place some of them on a grid to attack, block damage, heal yourself etc. There's some simple but neat synergy going on, and after the first few levels enemies start messing with the die board itself.

It didn't blow my mind or anything, but I did accidentally spend a couple of hours playing it when I meant to only quickly try it so there's that. And also the main character is cute as hell.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2026820/Die_in_the_Dungeon/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

tracecomplete posted:

Apologies if this has come up in the last (/checks notes) 3000 posts, but has anyone played Armored Commander II?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGQFQPqWvtA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1292020/Armoured_Commander_II/

This looks kinda really rad.

Yeah it's a lot of fun if you're into tank nerdery. I guess even if you aren't but are into fairly detailed simulations of a thing, you'll also enjoy it but it definitely helps to be a tank nerd. Pretty obviously the UI is what it is but you get used to the game's style and controls pretty easily and after that it's a lot of fun.