Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Anyone else crazy about Desktop Dungeons? I realize it only sorta fits here but man the beta version of the game is so loving good. I wonder if I should start a thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I finally bought Desktop Dungeons and it is as great as I hoped. Everyone go buy it.

It's soooo loving good, I'm at the very-end-post-endgame stuff though now and it's really hard, I barely cleared one Vicious dungeon and it feels like there's no way I can complete it with 2 other classes. I'm thinking about posting a thread, I know people are wary of "beta" stuff but this game is basically feature-complete and has recieved regular weekly updates for almost 2 years.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Krinkle posted:

Desktop dungeons is for sale now? The other day I was desperately trying to remember what its name was.

It's been in Minecraft-style early access mode for literally almost 2 years. Like I said, it's basically feature-complete at this point -- for the past couple months' worth of weekly updates they've been fleshing out some UI details and adding in the "collector's edition" bonus content. The beta can only be played in a browser with an internet connection, supposedly just because it makes it that much easier to push out frequent updates, but at launch it'll be available on Steam and in-browser and if you're playing with an internet connection your progress will sync between the two. They also expect to have an iOS version out a month or two after the release and its savefiles will sync with your other versions of the game as well. They're withholding the soundtrack from the browser-based beta for bandwith reasons, but they recently announced that it's completed and ALSO that it's all done by loving DannyB (!!!) who did the soundtracks for Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac. It's a pretty good time to buy, the release is probably under a month away at this point and the prerelease price is $10/$15 for normal/collector's editions of the game instead of the $15/$20 it'll be at launch.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Speaking of Desktop Dungeons, can anyone point me where to go after finishing all the normal dungeons and their quests? Because holy poo poo I tried a random hard one and it kicked my rear end so hard it was like I was starting new all over again.

What quests do you have open, currently? If you link a screenshot of your main map that might be the easiest way to show what you have available. Basically, though, you're gonna have to beat some Hard dungeons. If that seems too insurmountably hard right now I'd recommend grinding out some gold for upgrades/unlocking classes if you haven't already. The easiest way to do it is grinding a dungeon you know you can beat with the "bet on boss" prep but also try the class challenges out in the different guilds; not only do they reward gold & teach some neat tricks, they each eventually unlock an item, some of which are really, really useful. Also unlock all the gods! Each one is situationally useful and you're majorly gimped if you don't have them all available.

Edit: also, if you have questions about any specific hard mode dungeon let me know, I can probably give some tips (just dont ask me how to beat any Vicious mode dungeons :smith: ) -- there's also a wiki for the game, but it's rarely updated and kind of outdated on certain fronts so use it at your own risk, sometimes it's helpful but other times it's flat-out wrong

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 19, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah. Basically the normal levels are about as hard as earlier parts of the alpha, and the hard levels are harder than anything in the alpha except the final unlock challenges.

Each direction from the town has a type of class that is best though? Start by playing with the absolute easiest classes. Or maybe try the class quests and try to unlock more items?

There's generally one race/class combo for each dungeon that doesn't quite trivialize it but makes it pretty feasibly beatable -- like I said, if you wanna point out a particular one you're stuck on, I can point you in the right direction. Of course, if you're a PRO, you're gonna be interested in 100%ing every dungeon by beating it with every single class -- in which case, good loving luck :negative:

edit: and gently caress vicious, seriously -- if anyone's further along in the game than me ("postgame" stuff after beating the first version of Tower of Gaan-Telet), I'd love some tips. I managed to cheese Dragon Isles with a berserker (and the item unlocked is INCREDIBLY useful -- don't underestimate resistances) but I have no idea how I'm gonna beat it with two other classes to unlock the new race, and I don't have a clue how to approach the other 4 vicious dungeons available to me.

edit edit: speaking of resistances, beat the Monk's silver class challenge ASAP and unlock martyr wraps -- it's tough, but worth it. Completely revolutionizes the way you play as a monk once you have them available.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 19, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

edit: I plugged away at it a bit more and managed to clear the Berserker Camp quests and one with the twin golem bosses up north (only once for the latter, and it was a close thing). Even when I clear a dungeon it feels like I'm cheesing it, I have no idea how someone would manage these badges--a lot of my wins come from using up all my health potions against the boss and then worshipping Dracul to mop up every bloodstain on the map and barely squeaking by on that. I also cleared at least the bronze challenges for every class and the silver for Fighter, Berserker, and Thief. Are there any silver challenges I should try and prioritize?

In general I'm liking the melee characters (Assassin, Monk, Warlord) a lot, but I'm guessing that it'd be better to try and branch out to get a feel for all the characters?

If you like Monk, try and clear his silver challenge ASAP -- you unlock the Martyr Wraps which apply one level of corrosion (enemy takes +1 extra damage on hit) every single time you hit an enemy, and every time you level up every revealed enemy gets a layer of corrosion as well. Makes his plinking/regen-fighting strategy even better. Regen-fighting and not wasting tiles is a pretty important skill in general for every class, if you've got full HP or MP and you're in a position where you need to explore more of the dungeon, always try and find a way to burn off some of that by casting spells so you're not wasting your regeneration. If you haven't done some of the Explorer's Guild puzzles it never really gets explained, but it's important to know that the Burning effect from fireballs slows enemy health regeneration. With a fireball in hand you should pretty much always be able to kill a level 2 monster (when you're level 1) by hitting it, burning it, then out-regenerating it & going in for the kill, no matter what class you're playing. There's nothing wrong with the melee classes but if you like worshipping Dracul try messing around with the Bloodmage, his Sanguine ability stacks with the Sanguine bonus Dracul gives you & he also restores MP from drinking bloodstains which makes mopping them all up at the end for damage spikes against the boss even more effective. Sorcerer is fun to play, too -- he gets a ton of bonus max MP and every time he casts a spell he restores HP equal to the MP spent to cast it, so he works great as a hybrid melee/caster who can beat down enemies until he's at low HP, fireball them a few times to heal himself, then repeat. Some of the badges are hard, but looking at my stats I somehow managed to get the Purist badge (beat the dungeon without any preparations) on Hexx Ruins, Creeplight Ruins, and Rock Garden, so if you're struggling you should know it's definitely possible to beat them without unlocking & bringing in a bunch of extra items. Hell if I remember how I did it, though. Another general tip is, don't be afraid to convert between religions -- you have to have at least 50 piety to do so, and then you lose half your piety upon conversion, but for the most part you'll keep any bonuses your previous god gave you and in some cases it's basically necessary to jump around. Dracul (if you've got a field full of bloodstains you can drink up) and the Earthmother (you can invoke one of her abilities to grow a plant on every single bloodstain, giving you 5 piety for each one grown) are both prime candidates for this since you can easily generate massive amounts of piety with both of them & then switch to another god. Also, don't be afraid to desecrate other gods' altars! You get a boost of 40 piety for doing so which can be a game-changer. Some gods (Taurog, Dracul) have some pretty devastating penalties and barring some edge cases you don't ever really want to bring on their wrath -- others, like the Earthmother (applies 5 layers of corrosion to you) or Binlor Ironshield (drops all your resistances to zero -- which, if you never had any resistances to begin with, has no effect at all) can be totally worth pissing off for the piety boost.

MPLS to NOLA posted:

I do hate that it's browser-only for the beta and it does cost money. And even though it makes sense (unlockable "preparations" outside of dungeons give the player more control and will cut down on unwinnable or nearly so dungeons) I have mixed feelings about the way content is gated. It's also way too easy at the beginning. Like I'm ~5 dungeons in and haven't needed the Fighter's bread and butter Pit Dog passive (one-time "survive mortal blow with 1 hp") at all. Lucky for me there are "puzzle" maps that are ruthlessly, murderously difficult small scenarios where you begin with total information but require an exact set of moves to clear. The first one has you killing 3 guys and a boss with aid of one spell cast and one passive-use item and it took me literally forever

Yeah the difficulty ramps up pretty suddenly, as soon as you beat the normal-difficulty (eastern/southern/western/northern) dungeons you might be surprised at how tricky and demanding the game gets. The puzzles are totally worth playing, the gold rewards aren't huge or anything compared to what you get by completing other quests in the game but they do a really good job of pointing out little tricks and techniques that will help you during normal play, even if the solutions are sometimes maddeningly specific. Also, you may be happy to know that while they're still mostly "bite-size" some of the endgame/postgame dungeons have multiple floors, bosses, and stages, making your progression through them feel slightly more epic. Even as soon as you advance to hard-difficulty dungeons (which, if you're 5 dungeons in, should be pretty soon) you'll notice quite a few unique dungeon mechanics and cool predetermined setpieces coming into play.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Nah, pretty sure IMAWAL just straight-up doesn't work on bosses.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dodge % from Getindare keeps stacking until it gets to 60 (I think?) -- it resets when you successfully dodge an attack. Other static sources of dodge% (Tikki Tooki's boon, the Rogue's innate bonus) don't reset on a successful dodge and also stack with Getindare. You can re-cast it every time you trigger the first strike effect -- so you have to hit a monster in between each cast.

Edit: there is no level 11, but if you "level up" again at level 10 you get a full heal, poison & mana burn wipe, etc -- basically every level-up effect except stat gain.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Striking any monster (or, maybe, in addition, casting a fireball on any monster? Not sure if PISORF triggers it too) will remove Burning from whoever has it and do a couple points of damage. Occaisonally you can pull off weird combat tricks with the damage but the main advantage of burning is slowing regeneration

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

The games were clones and/or modifications of a game called rogue? How is that a terrible name? It's not a super great name no but it's not like it doesn't make sense.

It doesn't not make sense but it would be really weird if people went around calling Call of Duty a Doomlike or whatever. As far as classic roguelike games go, Rogue itself doesn't really get any play -- Nethack, for example, is WAY more iconic

Edit: hah I had an old tab open, beaten on "Doomlikes" -- it really is like the least descriptive and useful genre label out there though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Unormal posted:

It's working pretty decent for Sproggiwood; and I've got Some Ideas(tm) for how to do a more elaborate ability system for the Qud game without cluttering the screen to hell.

It's a really simple game but I like how Hoplite on iOS (and android?) handles movement -- touching a space moves you straight there, unless there's an enemy on screen, in which case it only moves you one space in that direction and then lets the enemies take their turn. Roguelikes are gonna have enough excessive buttons already; you REALLY don't need a D-pad.

Edit: to duplicate the "wait" function, assuming that's the hourglass in the center, just make touching the tile occupied by your character do the "wait" thing

Edit edit: haven't played Qud so I don't know the details of the ability system, but for anyone who's played a console shooter or whatever in the past decade the "wheel" system is pretty intuitive. Press and hold in a certain spot, like the center of the screen, and a wheel with all available skills pops up and you slide your finger to whatever you wanna activate. Not 100% sure it would translate well to a touchscreen, but in my head I like it.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 3, 2014

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

speaking of metaprogression unlocks I just learned today that Enter The Gungeon fudges the numbers and makes it so when you unlock a new item it's more likely to show up in your following runs until you've seen it at least once, which is kind of cool.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Never heard of that but it looks really interesting. I absolutely love those backgrounds, they remind me of the games I played on my old black & white Apple computer as a little kid

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Tangledeep looks so good but I'm saving myself for the Switch version

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm gonna crosspost from the iOS thread because while it would be a stretch to call his games roguelikes they're all very thoughtful and loving examinations of roguelike mechanics and worth a play for fans of the genre-- I think 868-Hack is on Steam but the others may be mobile only.

New Michael Brough game Cinco Paus is out and drat is it good. To hear him tell it on his devblog, his last few games have been about distilling down a core mechanic of roguelike games into a puzzle -- Zaga-33 is about single-use scrolls, 868-Hack is about managing resources to cast spells, Imbroglio is built around using weapons and leveling up, and this new game is about identifying magic wands. It's weird and cool and almost certainly very deep and thoughtfully balanced, check it out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I really enjoyed the Roguemas posts, there are a shitton of roguelikes/lites on Steam and hearing what interesting about a particular title is helpful.

Seconding this , those write ups have been informative (and nice reads in their own right even if I don't plan on playing the game being covered) and I really appreciate the time and effort put into them. Thanks Too Shy Guy!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

victrix posted:

This right here is legitimately one of the reasons I prefer it over Isaac/Gungeon/etc

Yes, I am that much of an impatient child that backtracking bores me out of the game

Gungeon lets you do this to virtually every room (but not QUITE all of them for some weird reason)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Switch port of Enter The Gungeon has some of the new balance changes already implemented that will be coming to the other versions of the game when the free expansion drops, and it plays much better as a result. The game is less stingy with money and key drops, there's a new pickup that partially restores the ammo of every weapon in your inventory, shops carry more/better items, and then there are a few quality of life things like teleporters appearing in more rooms. IMO they add up to make the game wayyyy better by toning down the resource management element -- you'll still have to make decisions on whether or not to skip opening low quality chests etc but you'll never hit the total drought of key drops or ammo drops that was so frustrating when the game released. If you already own it on another console or on PC and found the resource scarcity a problem before, definitely give it another shot when the update arrives on other platforms. It's a big improvement.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

Some of the brown tier items are legitimately pretty good. I'd be fine with moving the actually good brown-tier stuff up to other tiers and making brown chests only spawn as (unlocked) room rewards, though; that seems like it would be a satisfying change. A relatively crappy gun feels quite a bit less crappy when you get it for free and you know you're not missing out on a boss reward or actually good chest spawn.

Yeah most of the brown tier items are ok but with very few exceptions (the sling, maybe a couple others?) the lowest rarity guns suck. Since one floor chest always contains a gun and the other always contains an item, if I have a brown chest and a not-brown chest on the same floor, I'll always open the not-brown one first. If it drops a gun I'll usually risk a key on the brown chest, but if it drops an item then I'll never bother with the other one

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Floodkiller posted:

Throw in the fact that not all players are flawless dodging machines, and the problems with randomized pacing become magnified the worse the player gets (not to mention that the game punishes bad players by withholding max life upgrades, while rewarding the good players who don't need it).

Oh yeah and Gungeon has some problems but I don't think the guaranteed HP upgrade for flawlessing a boss is one of them, I actually really really like that system-- it keeps boss fights tense even for experienced players by rewarding mastery. Like, I'm decent at the game, and 90% of the time I'm confident that I can survive any of the boss fights on the first 3 floors or so. Getting a perfect clear on them is often another story , though, and having a significant reward tied to doing so keeps the fights engaging even when you've already gotten pretty good at them. I think it's a good fix for one of Isaac's problems where you find yourself fighting Monstro for the millionth time and you could basically do it in your sleep (and I know Isaac has devil rooms which work kinda similarly but often enough you'll have a soul heart buffer so even then it doesn't demand perfection)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

brainSnakes posted:

Rogue Legacy is the worst. It’s the game that incites me to want to go on a grognardy “this doesn’t even count as a rogue” rant. It isn’t just the meta progression system. The problem is that system is all the game has going for it. There’s no finding cool new poo poo and adapting to using it throughout a run to survive, which to me is an essential part of a rogue experience. Once you’ve found some nice armor and weapons to craft, everyone starts with that poo poo, and it feels like a really repetitive metroidvania that traded good level design for random generation, where you are grinding out incremental stats to make the ending zones easier to beat.

agreed , I hate this game . There is nothing more joyless than grinding out coins to unlock an extra +3% critical hit chance and it makes you wonder why the system needs to exist at all

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I don't have a lot of experience with bullet hell stuff but I downloaded some random Touhou game probably 4 or 5 years ago and got obsessed with it for a few days. Really fun and rewarding but hard as gently caress --- definitely requires you to build a very specific skillset that you may not already have even if you consider yourself to be generally pretty good at video games

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

the main actual skillset of bullet hell games, imo, is learning how to look at the screen

at first it's best to focus in on the area right around your character, but after a bit you get better at looking at a wider area while also dodging

Johnny Joestar posted:

as counterintuitive as it sounds you kind of have to start unfocusing your vision a little bit if you want to get a wider view of what's going on. kind of like when you're juggling. if you try to look at any individual ball then your attention will get divided too much and you might mess up.

yes! as someone with limited experience this is what I was finding hard to put into words. at first you're focusing on the boss you're shooting at and probably getting hit and dying a lot, and then you eventually start focusing on your own character and dodging a little better and dying a little less, and then presumably (never quite got this far) you turn into Neo at the end of The Matrix and you're seeing the entire pattern at once and weaving in and out of everything . I need to jump back into that whole genre because it seems like something that could really hook me

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Speaking of Gungeon I just got Clone from the first floor boss as The Bullet ......... please god let me not screw this up and manage to get 5 Master Rounds to cheese the unlock for it :pray:

(also Clone is a really cool idea for a completely broken item in just about any roguelike and I'm surprised I've never seen it ripped off. Basically it's a super rare item where, once you have it, the first time you die during a run it starts you back at the very beginning except you have all your weapons and items and upgrades from your previous run)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's stupid that you can (and should) do this, and I will fight anyone that says otherwise.

this system is thankfully already gone in that Switch update I mentioned earlier and once the other platforms get the patch it'll be gone on those as well. Now the shop just always sells at least one key on the first two floors (after which it seems to be the random usual selection) which is enough to make sure you're not getting screwed over

edit: and not picking up a weapon to guarantee a weapon drop from the boss never made sense to me because there are plenty of non-weapon drops (like Clone I mentioned above) that I would rather see drop from the first boss than basically any gun in the game except one (my friend Gunther)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Getting Lead God AND knocking out every single requirement for the Floor 5 shortcut in a single run FTW :cool: thank god for clone

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

I'm sure a good number of us haven't played since way back when it actually was ridiculously limited.

Yeah and if you played back during the first couple weeks after launch there was a really bad ammo-related bug where it would almost never, ever drop if you had your starter weapon equipped when you cleared a room (or something like that?) which made things really really miserable.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah Dream Quest is my favorite in the genre and it still mostly has this problem. Once you have an idea of the good archetypes for your class you're mostly on autopilot floor 1

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Klaus Kinski posted:

I'd say dq has the most interesting choices on floor 1 because poo poo tier cards help out a lot early, but can be really crippling late.

I feel you on one level but on another it seems like mostly just a straight-up skill test and not really an interesting decision. Like, when I was a noob at the game all of those basic elemental slash cards seemed really good but now I just know to never, ever take them because they scale poorly on later floors, can't be upgraded, and are more likely to get blocked by enemy resistances than take advantage of enemy weaknesses. The more I think about it, Dream Quest is a pretty cruel game lol. I've played it a shitload at this point (gotten 100% of unlocks from a fresh save file maybe 3 times?) but man if you don't know what's coming on Floor 3 there is zero way to survive it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is there a plan to port Nuclear Throne to Switch? I don't know where such a thing would be announced but I do know that Isaac and Gungeon already have and Necrodancer and Tangledeep are in the works so it seems plausible so I'm asking the thread that would know.

Nuclear Throne was made in Game Maker (and a real old version at that) and from what I understand you can't just port GM games to Switch. I'm hoping one day that we get a ground-up engine remake like Binding of Isaac Rebirth because it is indeed the perfect game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

fishmech posted:

Nuclear Throne was built in a new enough version of Game Maker that it could be ported to PS4, which would also mean it could be ported to Xbox One if they wanted. As such, it's a game that can't have been in too old of a version and could be brought to Switch if YoYo adds a Switch export option to the Game Maker software.

To be fair the PS4 version is a mess though . I've had it crash and wipe progress many many times on the throne boss fight and I don't think it ever got a patch .

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Night Of The Full Moon straight-up clones design from Dream Quest with quite a few identical character classes/cards/monsters (like literally monsters with the exact same deck as their DQ equivalents with cards that function exactly the same way). The presentation is a big improvement (not that that's saying much) but I felt uncomfortable supporting such a clear ripoff and ended up getting a refund for it (even though Peter Whalen is probably fine since he's making those big Hearthstone bucks now)

Also I don't like Hearthstone very much but for anyone who hasn't checked it out since the new expansion, they added a single player deckbuilder mode, with design led by the guy who made Dream Quest using Hearthstone cards and mechanics, and it's completely free with no hooks. Dungeon Run, check it out

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Burning Rain posted:

drat, it's a shame. Oh well, Meteorfall will be out on Thursday, and it's been getting some good buzz, so I'm looking forward to it

I'm in the beta, it's fun but pretty simple compared to the other games being discussed. Almost everything you do is controlled by swiping left or right, Tinder style -- you draw cards from your deck one at a time and choose to play them (spending stamina) or pass them (restoring stamina) -- your "hand size" is just the number of cards you draw in a given turn. I feel like there's quite a bit less decision making than in DQ because of this but it's still a good little game and worth picking up

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fellis posted:

I might get the Dream Quest app for $3 but oof that art. And I thought Monster Slayers with its 2006 newgrounds flash style was bad.

It's very very good .

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Bought Gungeon for Switch. First time, tips? I know there was weird counterintuitive loot manip stuff for a while but I think they fixed it?

Yeah most of the fiddly metagame stuff is gone now, thankfully. Here's some quick tips I posted in the Switch thread when it came out

goferchan posted:

Really quick and dirty Gungeon tips:

- Rebind reload to something that's not a face button. I use L3 but whatever works for you that you can hit without taking your hands off the sticks go for it

- Use your guns, ammo drops more frequently when you're actually low on ammo.

- You generally don't wanna use your keys until you've scouted out an entire floor and figured out the best way to use them. Fancier looking chests generally drop stronger items, but there are still a few really good items in the common chest pools so opening them isn't always a bummer. If you're about to leave a floor and there are locked chests you can't open, destroy them -- there's a very small chance you'll get their original contents, or sometimes a random pickup, or in the worst case a piece of junk that you can sell to the sewer monster who shows up in shops

- Use your blanks. If you have fewer than 2 they'll refill when you enter a new floor, and beating a boss without taking a hit gives you a guaranteed extra heart container in addition to the normal loot it drops. They're great for giving you a bit of breathing room

- Don't spam your dodge roll too much. Even when bullets are everywhere during a boss fight you'd be surprised how many of them you can weave through just by walking around, plus if you're doing that it means you can move and shoot at the same time. Try to save it for when you know you can't get out of the way otherwise.

edit: oh and they're all probably pretty balanced but the Marine might be the easiest starting character. The passive reload speed and accuracy bonuses are nice things you don't have to think about it, and his starting pistol is way better than anyone else's basic weapon

Also, read your item descriptions in the Ammonomicon for stuff you pick up. First of all the writing is usually pretty clever, and secondly sometimes they'll tell you about hidden properties of items that aren't immediately clear. For example, anything that has a description that talks about being cool increases your hidden "coolness" stat which is basically your Luck and increases item drops & other good poo poo, and, naturally, reduces the cooldown time for active items. Inversely there is "Curse" (you'll see a little skull appear over your head when you pick up cursed items or perform certain actions like stealing from a shop) -- this gives you fewer item drops (but more money) and makes buffed up versions of enemies more likely to spawn and affects a few other things in the game. There are reasons you might want to go for high Curse during a run but as a new player I'd mostly stay away from it, or at least be conscious of it. Dropping a cursed item will remove the Curse points associated with it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh great, I didn't even think that you could destroy chests. That explains why there are more chests than keys (that and me sucking probably).

Yeah there's an extremely good god-tier companion character that you can get from destroying chests, too , so if you're lucky sometimes that will work out very nicely for you

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm super bad at Gungeon but 90%+ of my deaths seem completely fair and are mostly because I suck at dodging or I can't kill bosses without good guns.

How do I unlock the elevator to start lower? Dude was just like "you'll see me". Do I have to beat multiple floors without getting hit, or really quickly, or what?

Visit him inside the elevator shaft (starting on the second floor) and he'll tell you what he needs to fix it. There are multiple goals you need to meet to unlock it for each floor and you can accomplish them across multiple runs (but don't get confused -- when he asks you to bring him money & keys to fix the elevator you DO need to bring him the money and keys at the same time)

edit: also its worth doing even if you don't plan on ever using shortcuts (I don't, except to complete some of the monster hunt quests more quickly) because you also unlock some good new items in the process and eventually a Boss Rush mode

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mr. Peepers posted:

I love Dominion and Slay the Spire looks cool as hell but I generally dislike buying EA games, so I bought Dream Quest instead (which I'd never heard of before). I've unlocked 3 classes so far but haven't gotten past floor 3. It's fun but...it's actually really loving dumb how big of a difference a floor 1/2 monastery makes in deck power. I feel like I'm just wasting my time if I try to tackle the first floor boss without clearing 3+ attacks out of my deck first. It's maybe 50/50 I win and if there isn't one on the second floor then just forget about it.

There are only 3 floors. But if you're not playing on hard (Velociraptor?) mode you're missing out on content and can't fight the real final boss

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

RoboCicero posted:

Honestly in the process of writing this post I just got a deep and pervading sadness I can't play 868-HACK or Imbroglio on android devices. Holy gently caress Imbroglio is good.

He's got a new game about identifying magic wands, Cinco Paus, that's also very very good. Imbroglio is still my favorite though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Tangledeep; it was "gay to death" but that was a mistranslation of a japanese reviewer calling it a game where you die a lot

Lmao that rules