Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Some roguelike news I didn't see posted.

ToME4 has been greenlighted on steam!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93674769

In ADOM news, Biskup has released the latest build to the public:

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2013/11/adom-120-prerelease-18-is-available-for.html

So if you didn't donate to the campaign, now you can check out those tiles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I better not be the only one of you nerds looking forward to some righteous monster crushing all day Tuesday when Dungeonmans is formally released!!!

Also, someone teach me how to Sil. I can normally beat a roguelike after a few weeks, 2 months tops, but Sil just repeatedly beats my face in.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Serephina posted:

I can semi-consistantly get to the final floor, if not necessarily get past it. How deep do you normally get, what typically kills you?

I typically splat 6-8 floors in. Undead and invisible stuff gives me a lot of trouble. I've been running melee/evasion elves.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Thanks for the advice Sildudes. After reading that, I'm getting to 450 feet consistently. I'll crack this eventually.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Observation: Life technically satisfies the core components of a roguelike. Permadeath? Check. Procedural generation and randomness? Check. Careful, long-term oriented play ideal? Check. Hooray it qualifies.

Numerous design flaws in LifeRL abound. The real time nature of it allows for less strategic choices than would otherwise be seen in a turn-based experience. Too much grinding required. The open-ended sandbox playstyle is fun at first but the lack of a predefined objective precludes a more satisfying resolution. Self-imposed goals/playstyles/conducts provide an imperfect substitute. Speed running not advised.

Conclusion: B+. Worth trying out at least once.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Merry xmas roguelike thread. Thanks to this thread I've discovered some great games and gotten some real handy advice. As thanks, I'll buy a copy of dungeonmans for the first person to claim it. I'll just need your steam name (I believe). If you're not comfortable posting your steam name for whatever reason, claim it and pm me. Hooray!

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Claimed!

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I've never played caves of qud but all this activity has me interested. Is there a definite goal? Can the game be beat or is it sandbox style?

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Is there any way to teleport in sil? Getting pincered in a hallway by some nasty poo poo on 700 feet killed my best char yet. Do I just need to learn exchange place? Also, does there come a point where you just dive?

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I'm finally getting the hang of Sil. Got to 850 before getting mauled by a vampire and some cats and other stuff due to bad positioning. I'll probably get to 1000 within the week - could someone spoil me on what exactly I need for the throne room (ie what's the gear needed/check to see if you can pry the silmaril?)

Also, gently caress those green horrors that spray acid all over you. Easily the biggest assholes in the game (and a good reminder that crawl got it totally right in removing item destruction/degrading). I know you can run from them, but getting pincered by one in the hallway is the worst.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I agree with all of the criticisms about ToME in this thread but god drat do I love that game. For all of its flaws, it scratches the character design / item finding itch so well. And the new Paradox Mages are awesome.

These days I only play crawl during the tournament. After finishing a tome dox mage I think it'll be just in time for me to learn how to play CoQ.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
So I'm burnout on crawl til the next tournament, I've had enough stonewardens get one shot and I'm giving TOME a break, and I'm waiting for dungeonmans to get more content before firing it up again. Can anyone recommend me a newish roguelike? I lurk this thread constantly so I know the bigger new releases like Necrodancer or Risk of Rain... I'm looking for something simple and classic-y feeling like Powder. Any ideas?

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Have you played Sil or Brogue?

Played both, love 'em. Something along those lines (but one I haven't played before) is what I'm looking for.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Does cogmind have a win condition yet? I'm between roguelikes but don't want to pick something up that can't be beaten .

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I played a ton of sil this xmas and burnt out. I'll give mage guild a try.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Kyzrati posted:

There will eventually be five different endings of increasing difficulty, and right now the easiest route is already complete. "Easiest," but there are only 2 known wins on record, by players who've done nothing but play since release. There's a lot of content and lot to learn because you can't treat the gameplay like other roguelikes. Yesterday I met a veteran Nethack player who was telling me he couldn't get past the second floor of Cogmind

This actually convinced me to get in early. Thanks for the reply!

e: :stare: this game is insane (in the best way possible)

Happylisk fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 1, 2015

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

PotatoManJack posted:

Holy crap, Cogmind looks amazing.

Seriously thinking about shelling out the pre-release price to give it a whirl. My only issue is that I find sometimes playing the pre-release ruins the experience when the finished product comes out.

Has anyone been playing it and can they give some ffedback on the experience?

Buy it. I regret getting Darkest Dungeon early access, but this is completely different. I'm going to do a write up after I've logged enough hours, but suffice to say I really think this game could join the pantheon of top RLs.

This game has the playstyle of DoomRL, the depth of ADOM, and incredible eye candy.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

pumpinglemma posted:

Ooh, now I really want this. £20 feels very steep when I know it's going to drop as soon as it gets out of Early Access, though.

It's a steep price, but one I'm willing to pay to overload my afterburners, zip up to an enemy kill unit, jam a data hack into its system core, and hack it to fight for me.

e:

quote:

Sold on that description. ADOM was the first 'real' roguelike I beat, and I loved the character depth in it. DoomRL is also a great game that I've thoroughly enjoyed, so combining those two things seems like a winner to me.

The plot in this thing is great. You uncover it by hacking data terminals.

Happylisk fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 3, 2015

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Prism posted:

So, new Roguelike question: Cogmind.

Cogmind looks interesting but it's still in alpha. For anyone who's played it here: How feature-complete is it at the moment, and is it actually as good as it looks? I realize that second part's a bit subjective of course but I'd like to get other people's ideas on it. $30 is a lot to drop on an unfinished game; I don't mind beta testing in general but I'd like to know where it's going beyond the official articles on the web site (which are interesting, and I've read most of them).

I bought the alpha a week ago and have been playing it non stop. It's extremely engrossing, polished, and feature deep. I'm looking forward to the branches, new features like traps, and greater unveiling of the plot, but as is it feels like a complete game. I think it's worth the current asking price.

Now, I refuse to play stealthy-like. All of my runs are combat based and I tend to get 'asploded around Factory 4. Each run through I'm getting better, and can consistently get to the late mid-game. Once I can routinely get to the end-game with a combat build I'll post something more in-depth.

One thing I've noticed to a successful gun run is AoE EMP weapons. They don't drain matter like rocket or grenade launchers; they don't obliterate enemy units so there's more parts to scavenge; and their downsides (energy consumption and heat) can be pretty easily offset with batteries and coolant. Utility slot items are definitely my favorite items.

e: also, this game is the king of comebacks. It requires a very different mindset than other roguelikes. Once I got half my hp blown off in a fight, along with all of my items. In most games this would be game over. With no items, your cogmind's default speed is pretty fast. I zipped around the level, found enough items to get back into fighting form, and regained all my hp upon finding the level exit. You can rebound from catastrophic setbacks in this game that's different from most roguelikes.

Happylisk fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 7, 2015

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Kyzrati posted:

The most successful confrontational strategies will involve hacking threat records out of the system when the opportunity presents itself.

Does this mean Alert purges, or are you referring to something else?

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Kyzrati posted:

Sorry, yeah, just an in-lore way of referring to the Alert(Purge) command. This afternoon I made some changes going into the next release that will affect security levels and make a few situations easier to deal with even without hacking. That said, if you are blowing up everything in sight, you can still expect heavy resistance.

I've been manually using Alert(Purge) at every terminal I see on the assumption that the more I do the command, the better my cogmind will get at it. Is that assumption true, or do I need to rtfm again? Sorry for all the questions!

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Kyzrati posted:

While you won't get better at it, no, repeating that command is great for continually driving down the alert level--you can see by checking the alert level that one hack is rarely enough. You'll want to RTFM eventually, but it's not really necessary until you want to take on the late game and make sure you have a strong understanding of the underlying mechanics and little tricks here and there. Most of it you can figure out through normal play, and one of the earliest new areas to be added will be a place where you'll get some help with more obscure (or even completely hidden) mechanics in a lore-relevant way.

The easiest way to win at hacking is attach as many Hacking Suites as you can find/build, since they stack. In Alpha 2 allied Operators will also report security level changes to you automatically by intercepting and decoding additional Complex 0b10 transmissions.

Early players filled out a large chunk of the wiki by becoming ultimate hackers and virtually owning low/mid-floors for as long as they wanted to, but that was before I fixed an unfortunate oversight that allowed them to manually hack any schematic they could learn the name of :eek:. For a time they were digging through the lore finding references to components that aren't even supposed to be available yet and fabricating them, ha.

Got it. Sounds like the ideal combat build will therefore have some utility slots dedicated to improving hacking chances, in order to make sure that your purges actually work.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Cogmind pro-tip: Always take the mines, cause you have a chance at getting a purple derelict buddy to join up with you and help you blast your way out of there in a blaze of robo glory.

And then you get caved-in on and a demolition squads bursts in and pushes your circuits in.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

pumpinglemma posted:

Kyzrati, how should I send feedback about the alpha? I've got about a page of boring but potentially useful newbie UI/tutorial feedback that I'd rather not poo poo up the thread with.

You could probably dump it on the cogmind forum? I think they have a subforum for suggestions.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Gonna buy some coq tonight

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
If you're a Cogmind early supporter, Alpha 2 was just released. Here's a forum post showing off some of the more visually appealing additions:

http://www.gridsagegames.com/forums/index.php?topic=190.0

And from the patch notes, here's my personal favorite change:

quote:

Ramming robots collects a small random amount of matter from the debris for each collision

In other words, it'll be much harder to get into a situation where your parts are blown off, you have good stuff in your inventory, but you can't attach it cause you only have 5 matter. Just go ram some scrub.

e: lol the ADOM public release that dropped today has a show-stopping bug

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php/14114-ADOM-R58-is-now-available

Happylisk fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 20, 2015

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

RoboCicero posted:

Random suggestion : It would be neat if wheels had something to make them more obviously attractive over legs (which have lower penalties) and hover units (which are generally faster). Either something like something where the time to move decreases the more you move in a straight line, or being able to toggle a "Rolling" mode on the wheels, where you continuously move in one direction, even while you're firing your weapons.

I seem to recall the dev saying that the perk wheels have over legs or flight units is abundance. They're just easier to find generally.

Speaking of cogmind propulsion systems, I'm pleased with the buff to treads with regard to recoil. One day I'll get to the surface with a pure blaster build... one day.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Kyzrati posted:

You'd be the first. It hasn't been done yet because it falls on the very hard side for now, but it's getting increasingly possible with each release. Canceling recoil was one change aimed at making that approach more viable, and I'd like to buff treads even further since they're slow enough that you'll be forced to stand off against anything you encounter. Haven't come up with any other good ideas yet. Suggestions?

Here's what I think the main issue is. To have a fighting cogmind, you need a way to deal with heat, be it coolant or a heat sink; you need armor and shielding; a force field; targeting computers; a way to deal with EMP; at least 3 power sources to power all that; some Big Guns; and you're going to want to default to treads to carry all of that due to the weight. Really, all of the above is non-negotiable. Without heat systems, you'll fry. Without targeting utilities, you're basically an Imperial stormtrooper. Without armor/shielding you'll get blown to bits; etc.

The problem is, the more you fight, the more your poo poo gets blown off. You rarely come out of a fight ahead, and you've increased the Alert level and the chances of a kill team or an ARC being dropped on your head. Fast stealthy builds will take item damage, but they're in combat so infrequently they can make due with what they find. Combat builds on the other hand are long drawn out marches to death by attrition.

My suggestion: All treads should have innate power/weapon/utility shielding. The percentage of the shielding depends on the quality of the tread. The strategic impact would be to decrease item attrition, making combat more viable. The flavor explanation is that you're literally becoming a tank.

Generally speaking, in roguelikes slow speed is the kiss of death. There's a reason Ghoul's with 80% global speed in ToME are a challenge race. There's a reason Haste is the best spell in Crawl. If treads are going to be combat optimal, due to their weight carrying abilities, they're going to need some real perks to make up for the fact that a) enemies get at least 2 moves to your 1 move, and b) you're fighting basically everything you see. I think a protection buff (beyond core protection) is the way to go.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Kyzrati posted:

This is why going gung-ho is the equivalent of hard mode--it's intentionally more challenging. You're further handicapping yourself though because treads are not nearly as good as legs for fighting, which is why I think they need a boost of some kind.

In my opinion the optimal tank build propulsion is legs, not treads. I always go for legs, unless I'm low on legs and there'll be a big fight, in which case treads have higher integrity so I like to attach them as shields, then run away on legs when it's over. Legs can hold plenty (and are still fast when overweight), and you'll move at least as fast as everything except Programmers and Swarmers. Try using legs more than treads, which are also harder to come by.

Hmm, I guess I overestimated the weight issues going legs would have. I'll switch back to legs for my combat builds and see if that improves my combat runs.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Cogmind bug, Alpha 2b: ramming certain enemies (pests for sure) is reliably causing crashes for me.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Kyzrati posted:

Thanks for reporting! There have been a lot of Alpha 2b runs but apparently no one else is out ramming Swarmers. Doesn't seem to happen with others, but I just repeated it and will investigate. Hotfix will be released as soon as I find it and can package everything up.

e: Caused by the flashing warning indicator--if you ram and immediately kill the target before the blink duration has ended, game crashes. Will get this fixed ASAP.

e2: Alpha 2c is live!

I really like strategic ramming, especially against high evasion low integrity swarmers, so that bug quickly showed itself during my run :)

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Quick note to people who've already purchased cogmind: we're doing weekly seed runs over at the cogmind forums. This week's seed just dropped, so if you have the game why not compete!

http://www.gridsagegames.com/forums/index.php?topic=208.0

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I stumbled upon a new roguelike that I really like - The Ground Gives Way. It reminds me of Brogue a lot. HP doesn't naturally regen, no race/class, no xp. Your character is defined by what you find and there's a lot to find. Very nice, clean interface too. Check it out!

http://www.thegroundgivesway.com/

Happylisk fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 1, 2015

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Having been distracted by Cogmind and The Ground Gives Way (these are great games everyone should play these games), I finally played Qud for the first time today. Things I have learned:

* There's a kitty in Joppa you can pet. I got my $10 worth right there.
* I waltzed out as a Praetorian True Man slaughtering snapjaws like they were nothing. Then a vine called a jilted lover or something attacked me when I walked by a wall and I died horribly.
* True Man #2 got to level 1 of the Rust Well. Something called a slumbering tore his face off.
* True Man #3 decided to buy lots of cool things from the trader in town. Spent all of my money. Forgetting that water is money in this case, I died of thirst next to Red Rock.
* True Man #4 came from the arcology that dual wields. He stumbled around in the dark and got killed pretty quickly.

Game owns, looking forward to getting past the learning curve.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I'm fooling around with a True man Child of the Hearth cudgeler. By level 6 I had 29 strength and enough for skullcrusher, fun stuff. I'm doing red rock, and the level I'm generated with a hallway blocked by a boulder. How do I get around that? And what items can I use to dig?

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Acid grenade did the trick.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
ADOM chat

quote:

Team ADOM is happy to announce the public release of ADOM R60. It is available from the usual download sites, all summarized on our beautiful new download page.

ADOM R60 again is a major bugfix release and we by now hope to have closed all issues that prevented us from going to Steam. All changes and adjustments are listed on our also beautiful new change log page.

Personally I was someone shocked that two days ago we discovered that spell animations for ball spells had not been working for weeks. Neither we nor anybody out there seems to have noticed o_O

So our intention is to do one final (?) round of feedback. If no more major problems are discovered we intend to release R61 to Steam and finally pick up steam (pardon the pun) after that by returning to adding new features instead of just focussing on bug fixing and stabilization. Sadly one bug already has been found during the 9-hour-long deployment process for all 59 (!) versions of ADOM we (meaning Jochen) have to deploy for a public release: the (more) hint in tutorial mode is not working in the way intended.

So we have to ask everyone out there: Test R60 as intensely as possible and try out everything. And then please provide feedback in our issue manager regarding any problems that you might encounter. We really want the Steam version to be the most stable release possible and need your help in this! And we finally want to have it out in the open to restart adding tons of awesome features (which we currently dare not do out of fear of wrecking the initial Steam release).

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2015/08/adom-r60-released-to-general-public.html

The only thing more surprising to me than the fact that this thing is actually getting onto steam is the price. In the comments to the post, Biskup said he was going to charge $15.00 for the steam version. I really thought he was going to charge $40 or something insane like that.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

SnowblindFatal posted:

What are the special features of the new classes and races, anyway? Most of the old races and classes were just gimmicks with (relatively) low end-game survivability.

Duelists are new powerful melee guys that specialize in one handed weapons without shields. Their crowning gifts are great and so are they class powers, making them attack faster, harder, and get DV bonuses as they level up.

Chaos Knights are totally unique. They start very C-, have tons of PV, and start with like 2-4 random corruptions. They have unique crowning gifts and their class power give them buffs to speed, pv, and damage, randomized each turn. On the downside, they lose their powers if they're not C. Since most quests are unaccessible if you're chaotic, this results in a "slaughter everyone" playstyle typically.

Mist Elves are super long lived, have terrible HP, great Ma and magic skills, natural damage shaving, iron items hurt them, and they have a unique ability to practice white necromancy. I'm fond of mist elf fighters as a challenge class, since they start out decked in mithril gear.

Ratlings are garbage.

quote:

I played the game so much in my youth that I can't bring myself to actually play the new version for more than a few minutes.

I think you should give it a shot once the new quests are added. He's already added the Ice Queen's domain, full of new quests and a guaranteed greater vault. He's going to finish the Rolf questline and add like 40 artifacts. I think once it's all in there will be enough new content even for veterans.

Happylisk fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 24, 2015

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Is a pure melee True Man build at all viable in Qud, or are ranged weapons non-negotiable once you hit Golgotha / Bethesda Susa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I just cleared Red Rock and the Rust Wells for the second time. I'm going to mosey over to grit gate in a second. I first detoured to the Asphalt mines to look for carbide weaponry, and found a carbide hammer (I'm a child of the heath cudgeler). Is it worth checking out the lower levels of the mine for more loot, or should I just bounce to grit gate? I'm worried about splatting to a difficulty spike.