Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i tried to explore the forest and died to a snake. then i tried to chop wood and i can build....walls? then i went inland and found a sword or something, but my other person appeared to be trying to drown themselves. is there an introduction somewhere on how to play?

Nope you're doing it right, try not to die. There's 11 biomes to explore and 64 kinds of enemies if you can make it deep enough onshore. Flip between the two survivors with 1 and 2 and keep them together and you can play it as a party-based roguelike.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Congratulations and I am going to interrupt my Invisible Inc campaign to play this!

If I'm going to be honest, it's probably not quite as good as Invisible Inc.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Really most of the work went into building a pretty massive modern engine for PC and mobile. Most of the actual game was done pretty quickly in the last 36 hours or so. The engine does a lot of the things Caves of Qud does under the covers, but much better integrated with Unity, and with a ton of nice architecture that Qud doesn't have like a contiguous infinite world that just pages behind the scenes, architecture for building and harvesting tasks like dwarf fortress, etc. I might try to make a smaller more focused traditional roguelike for PC/mobile with it as the first project before getting to crazy with it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

everythingWasBees posted:

You don't happen to have a devlog or anything for it, do you?

I streamed some of the nights of dev, they'll be here until Twitch wipes them in a few weeks: https://www.twitch.tv/unormal/videos/all

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FreeholdGames/status/841377388764229632

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

zirconmusic posted:

Man, Sproggiwood is a good game. Been playing it every night on my phone for about a month now and it's just wonderful. :D Makes me feel even more inspired to work on

Hah, thanks; Tangledeep is looking great, haven't tried it yet but it's on the list. You have a bunch of pretty picky goons sounding pretty happy with it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey, we just launched cavesofqud.com with a roadmap to early-access exit and other goodies, like stories from the world.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
The people buying other people redtext cause they're triggered by people being triggered by someone saying triggered is getting to meta for me.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
steam steam steam steam

pounding knives and forks on table

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Klaus Kinski posted:

Lots of good games have devs with stupid opinions.

As someone who likes Ace of Base I can verify this.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

Since you're here, have you considered adding some kind of cloud save support to Sproggiwood for iOS? All of my progress is on my phone but I would love to play it on my iPad as well. Even just some kind of Dropbox upload would be great.

Yeah, it's much requested, I got cloud saves working in a recent patch on Steam, so it's a matter of finding the time to port the tech to iOS. I'm fighting for hours in the day atm.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
c@oboybeeb@p

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tagichatn posted:

Yeah, it still uses the humble app and games don't always receive the latest updates.

fwiw I'm using this as the first run of a Sproggiwood build that is actually quite a bit newer than the live on one google play, with multiple save slots and a bunch of bug fixes.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
People just do not understand that most software/game projects don't end up shipping. Downside of publisher-less world is that's exposed directly to customers.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

going back to giving handjobs behind the abortion clinic

Oh was I supposed to stop doing that. :yikes:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Substandard posted:

I bought caves of qud.. I killed an aligator with pyrokinesis then I attacked some pilgrims with a robot or something and got lit up in one shot.. It was a poor decision..

I also started Dungeonmans again, and was reminded that it is awesome and fun.

One issue I'm having with my attempt to get back into some roguelikes is that I have a 10 key-less keyboard hooked up and my others are packed due to an upcoming move... which means no moving diagonally and is a real problem in many roguelikes. Is there any solution to this, other than just hook up another keyboard ASAP?

Personally I usually bind arrow keys for regular movement and ctrl+arrow keys for diagonals (tilted right) when I'm stuck on a PC like that.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

General Emergency posted:

I wish Caves of Qud had a better mouse interface but as it is it's completely unplayable with a mouse. It's something you should be getting from a modern roguelike.

Did you turn on the overlay ui? Not done, but quite a lot of the game is totally mousable with it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't know but the devs post here so hey unormal/handofluke, fix this guy's poo poo :shobon:

(because it's a great game and he should be able to play it! but also sorry for assuming your gender, poster.)

Didn't see this originally, what device is it? Phone is too weak to handle it is probably the answer, but if you tell me what phone it is I can probably tell you what, specifically is too weak :D

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Irony.or.Death posted:

It is a BLU Studio Energy 2, which in the likely event you've never heard of it before claims 1.5 GB ram/ quad-core 1300 MHz AArch64 rev3/16 GB ROM. That is all the hardware info it wants to share with me and I will not be shocked if half the ram is busy sending my browsing habits to China, but at least I'm not paying for my own coverage!

Thanks for taking the time to personally diagnose its failings, I really appreciate it even if the first choice was pumpkin bombs at lunch. In thanks I have traveled back in time to preemptively buy all your games in desktop form.

E-mail me your google play e-mail at unormal at gmail and I'll hook you up with a beta APK you can try.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Tap your foot.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
*leans into the mic*

All games are early access.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oooh, I had no idea. I've never heard of Omega - I know Hack and Moria - precursors to ToME and Nethack, yeah?

Omega is amazing, and one of the matriarchs of the open-world/static storyline roguelike family line, one of my personal inspirations for Caves of Qud; it's more a progenitor to ADOM than TOME or Nethack.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

I looked up the Larn controls for a good laugh:

code:
s - sit on a throne
R - Remove gems from throne
t - Tidy up at a fountain
A - Desecrate an altar
P - Give tax status

everyday we stray further from god's light

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

RickVoid posted:

I knew that as soon as the Dungeonmans' guy came on board that I was going to end up throwing my money at it.

I love that they went full "gently caress it, we Monster Ranchin' now".

Freehold is now officially signed as exec producers/investors too. The full weight of something very awful now bears on Tangledeep.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Does a thumbs up count the same as a detailed review?

Metricswise yes.

Leaving a "derp (recommended)" review is very helpful for any Steam game you like. Content doesn't matter for all but the most well trafficed reviews.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

In the spirit of things, I added a nice review of Caves of Qud onto the pile.

Thanks, they really do help!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This is a good post.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have an X@COM-style idea I want to make in a novel setting, one day when we're rich fatcats with 10 years to spend we should make it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Unormal, you're the worst dev I know: you spend your time polishing your masterpiece to a mirror shine and finishing it instead of working on a thousand and one projects, like madjack and Dungeonmans and Demon Truck and now Tangledeep with zircon :v:

Yeah, silly madjack making 1 amazing game every 6 months; it's terrible!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Like, I wish devs who shared my taste in design principles were as dedicated to understanding and following through on them as Kyzrati is on principles I hate.

Same except for society as a whole instead of roguelikes.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What do you need to get to Overwhelmingly Positive?

500 reviews with 95% positive or greater, so every review counts!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Caves of Qud just got 'dem sweet cheevos.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/333640/achievements

https://twitter.com/FreeholdGames/status/921518294728871936

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

No.

In fact I'm going to hire burly cornfed professionals to live in his office and force him to adopt a slower update cadence before he devs himself into a coma.

Tangledeep Two-O'Clocks

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Steam Award nominations are up, elect your favorite goonspawn roguelike (suggestions: Dungeonmans, Cogmind, Tangledeep, Caves of Qud) to one of the categories!

Certainly we can get more votes than the likes of dota 2 or pubg.

http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwardNominations/

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

For various values of the word "work", yes.

Hey, Freehold is working very hard at executive production (i.e. not working at all and watching Jim and Andrew sweat it out hardcore)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol (haque)

https://twitter.com/RealKevinCole/status/935349126677651456

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Harminoff posted:

Imagine if someone took unexplored's worldgen and implemented it into a first person rogulike.

One day I hope to do this.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also I encourage you to ask as many questions as you like here or in the Caves of Qud thread, I adore the game but I've pretty much broken it over my knee and seen every piece of content in the game, so my only joy now (at least until Unormal implements the next step of the main quest) is helping others reach that point. :v:

You (all) are going to like the next thing we're doing. It's not more main quest but the final capstone system, alternate starts.

Toalpaz posted:

it just sucks that they have a true-kin "Gadget" starter guy person that actually isn't viable

I play straight up high-int true kin tinkers when I play (perhaps because I like my gaming experiences on the masochistic side of the slider), it's not that it's not viable, it's just that they aren't as easy for someone with 0 game knowledge that's making a lot of badly informed plays and lacks metagame knowledge. A basic melee guy is going to be a lot more forgiving and let you learn the ropes with less frustration.

e: tldr, True kin tinkers are basically tuned so they're fun for me, one of the game-creators with all the metagame knowledge, to play and still have a fun and challenging game. It's more like an 'advanced start'

Unormal fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 30, 2018

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, this take is not a good take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yep. Let's say you have 6 traits that each have 10 variants and they're all independent (so, like, having a skinny neck doesn't preclude you from having a fat head). That'd mean you have 10^6 = 1 million possible variants out of 60 different bits of art. Are they meaningfully different? Probably not.

If we're talking goblin faces, you have, like, hair color, eye color, skin color, left/right eye shape (independent for each eye 'cause gently caress it, why not?), nose shape, mouth shape, neck width, left/right ear shape...that's 10 different traits. You'd need on average 12 variations per trait to get to 4 trillion heads (log_10(4 trillion) ~= 12), requiring a total of 120 bits of art.

Quick someone write a paper on roguelike monster portrait informational entropy.