Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Bouchacha posted:

Is Sil 1.2.1 working for anyone?

Yeah, just downloaded Sil for the first time tonight and was coming here to say how much fun I was having. Is the game just not running at all for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

I bought Dredmor and then put off playing it until they fixed all the crash bugs and save corruption.

Except they kinda never did and now they're working on a different game.

Wasn't Dredmor's entire development history pretty wildly spotty? I don't know the whole story, but I swear I've seen a couple posts or discussions about it, probably in a previous iteration of this thread.

Either way, I fire up that game once every couple of months and then get bored by the time I get to the fifth floor or so. And I forget that crafting is garbage. And everything else.

Dredmor. :(

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

TokyoHeadphones posted:

Well alright, I suppose nothing's sacred on the internet anymore.

The secrecy around the dragonslayer/berserk armour is just really silly and doesn't add anything to the game. It feels like an old MUD where the advanced classes/super strong items are hidden behind quests with goofy syntax hunts where everyone winds up telling everyone else the answers at some point anyway. I figured having nothing in your hands was probably part of the secret given the circumstances in the comic, but I don't remember anything from Berserk about him picking up that sword for the first time in the buff.

If he keeps changing it to be secret, well, that's his business I guess? Plenty more anime to equip in this game. :v:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

I used to be all about ADOM but tried playing it again recently and just couldn't be hosed getting anything significant off the ground. Finding an altar, raising piety, carting a boatload of stuff to said altar to see if it's cursed, and the general lack of ID scrolls are things I guess I don't want to waste time dealing with anymore. It's from a different era and I loved it, but I don't think I have the time to go for an ultra ending in this day and age.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Cataclysm is extremely guilty of this. It's a fun game, and the crafting system, for all its faults, is pretty great if only because there's so much poo poo you can make and it enables a ton of different playstyles. But if you want to craft anything relatively complex, you're going to need to make or acquire a lot of tools, many of which need batteries/thread/duct tape/charcoal/etc, and you're going to need a ridiculous crapton of raw materials and intermediate components.

it was definitely a pain in the rear end until i built a vehicle with basically a 9x9 square of containers and recharging tools inside of it, since the game is merciful and checks for stuff within 1 tile's reach of you when crafting. and by the time you're done setting that up you'll have gained a ridiculous amount of mechanic skill as well!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

it's kinda funny that everyone's calling demon 'pokemon', when it draws much more directly and explicitly from a different, older series. it even uses the same demons (slime!) and negotiation dialogue, word for word!

i posit that it's because they're loving noobs, fursonally.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Steak Eater posted:

So, aside from the two of them listed on the wiki, are there any good resources for up-to-date build guides for ToME? Because as a new player, most of them seem to be from before the advent of things like Ogres being a race.

The official forums has a little wisdom on it but mileage varies from class to class

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Dungeonmans question: did the masters program involving bouncing lines and all that ever get a buff? I haven't played in what feels like most of the year but I distinctly remembering it feeling like the spells in it weren't properly applying the game's equivalent of spellpower or whatever.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

FTL seems incredibly dependent on RNG given the obstacles the final boss presents, and I'm interested in why it isn't. Educate me, thread.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I find it hilarious how none of the other threads I'm following are doing anything today, but the roguelikes thread has like 30+ updates in it. Godspeed, awful goons. :patriot:

Roguelike players are insane but they're also a perfect gamechoice when you have to host crowds/cook mountains on the holidays, since you can put them down and mull over the perfect move while you're doing other poo poo.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Unormal posted:

You are bad at FTL. :eng101:

That's not very educational!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Overwined posted:

So I've been playing a lot of DCSS lately, but otherwise I'm a total newcomer. I really love the "sneak up on someone and gut them with a sharp pointy thing" mechanic and Spriggans seem to excel at this. However, they are way too fragile when the poo poo inevitably hits the fan and you've already cashed in your stealth advantage. Any recommendations for a race for such a build?

spriggan is the best race for it, though i think kobolds can also do stealth pretty well. my first stabber was a SpEn of Dithmenos and i 3-runed it handily, just make sure you have a bag of tricks for when things wake up on you. when in doubt, loving run away and dont hesitate to go nuclear with evocables.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Samizdata posted:

Also, Dungeonmans IS good, but you are thinking of it too seriously when it comes to the tilesets.

it's a cute game and well worth whatever it costs on sale but i didn't enjoy any of the player sprites either. it's okay not to like things.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

dungeonmans had all the fundamentals there and i'd buy a DLC expansion for sure

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

You should give it another go and ask for a little advice before giving up. The Master is a frustrating dickhead due to his disables, summons, and firepower but with a little knowledge you can beat his rear end into the ground and the rest of the game is just about clear sailing from that point on. Antimagic Berserkers are super easy to play and turn him into vampire mulch.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

The Roguelike Thread: It's where you're @

holy gently caress

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

UberJew posted:

I tried ADOM for a while and then realized how completely at odds permadeath is with that sort of intense grind so I picked up Elona+ instead and got real deep into that for a month or so. Was fun, would recommend anybody give a go at breaking Elona over your knee at some point when you don't have another game to play

i need a huge anime infusion after going ham on XCOM2 for a week, can you hook a brother up with the big-rear end checklist of poo poo to do early on in Elona to set yourself up for grand adventures? otherwise i'm just gonna play pianos, die, and sleep in the king's bed without a clear, game-winning plan!!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

packetmantis posted:

Every post from Kyzrati I've seen in this thread is super arrogant, is all.

relax dude

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Elona+ is an insane mess and it's cool.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Eonwe posted:

Dumb mistake

i think overcoming my dumb mistakes in dcss basically happened when i embraced playing like a complete scumbag at every opportunity. early giants/ogres are just huge bags of exp waiting to be struck by a mountain of poison needles

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

like 80-90% of this thread/crawl thread dont know how to retreat from an OOD enemy before they're at 1/4 hp anyway, u gotta let it go man

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

here's my risk/reward strategy for Sword Of the Stars™ The Pit™ *clicks uninstall while spinnin in chair*

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

i would not recommend bionic dues to anyone, and would in fact strongly recommend against it.

it's an incredibly drab, unpleasant game to play.

*grabs the mic from u* yeah and it also loving SUCKS rear end

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Just have it snidely berate the player for holding it wrong every time they get hit.

It's also a really good shield, but it has a small chance to insult a monster to the point of berserking when it blocks their attack.

i endorse these two suggestions with the incredible power of my roguelike player spirit

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Suspicious posted:

Can anyone help me suck less at SotS: the pit? I know insane is basically impossible and seriously?! is literally impossible, but what should I do to start off? So far I'm just doing runs to decipher as many messages as I can and dying to the first tiny mistake I make, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to get accustomed to the game.

get accustomed to uninstalling that fuckin pile, because that's like winning it with 15 runes

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

i am always pleased as punch to see things like this

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

I don't want to play turn-based QWOP

this would actually be loving amazing tho

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

Space Truck Nuts.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

victrix posted:

New One Way Heroics coming this summer - still looks basically the same at a core level: http://store.steampowered.com/app/409000

I guess Spike Chunsoft picked up the dude who made it or grabbed the rights?

e: Nevermind, looks like this was actually a Vita release last year, so this is an 'old' port. From comments on Steam, they've improved it by adding undetectable/unavoidable traps that can get you killed for stepping on one, and more anime. Sounds great!

i'll happily buy this again because i doubt it's really as bad as they make it sound, and more anime means more better. looks like it's a win/win, gamers

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I have done a lot of work on my Final Fantasy rogue-like over the weekend, Final Fantasy R!

It's not so much of a broken disaster any more, and there is a bunch more content and cool stuff like battle animations. I have added an aura system, so monsters give each other different kinds of bonuses (making every battle challenging and unique!). I find it pretty fun. Mostly you can just kill monsters, gain levels and loot. All of the dungeons are infinite and randomly generated, you can just keep going down and they get harder as you go. There is no story or ending:

Final Fantasy R V1.2
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jy5fzftoh35ijoz/Final+Fantasy+R+V1.2.rar

i used a smoke bomb in a fight where the run command was greyed out and it softlocked in that the party escaped and it started playing the dungeon music but the battle screen never went away

also dungeons had a lot of random locked doors and stuff in the middle of the hallway, idk if that matters though

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Rutibex posted:

The dungeons are supposed to have random locked doors everywhere. If you want to get past them you have to buy/craft keys or train a Thief in lock-picking.

I should have clarified better: the locked doors aren't in one-tile corridors or anything, they're just sitting around in the open blocking nothing :v:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

looks like you got loving told

also yeah i'm having trouble starting off too. i guess its probably safest to scum up and down stairs nabbing treasure chests, angband style?

Rutibex posted:

:negative:
Oh well there is nothing I can do about that. The dungeon generating plugin I am using is limited to say the least, though I have got a lot out of it. Some times those corridor doors do get in the way though, if there is a lot of monsters around!

oh, that's fair enough! the fact you can even do all this poo poo in RPGMaker is pretty impressive to me.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

as a general map-making thing, i think the home base could be compressed quite a bit so it isn't such a long journey to the unlock hall?

also lmao at this eccentric collection of classes, i'm tempted to just pick 4 random things and see what kind of unworkable mess i'm left with. watch the gently caress out y'all, here comes Medusa, a Magical Girl, an Air Bender and a Mummy.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

why does this room level you as you walk and then randomly kill you

also why wouldn't I give everyone a subclass straight away when it boosts their stats.

black belt as a subclass so you can dual wield and grab extra HP by the handful imo. also black mage can learn 'craft relic' which means you can suddenly have everyone with an offering and thousands of extra points of agility (turn speed) for a few thousand gold.

ok i think i've won already. hit me up when 1.3 drops homie

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

if I pay my first 100 platinum to unlock the training room, because it sounds like a natural place to start, am I literally just trapped because I don't have money to buy any of these other places

normally yes, but you can go to the Hall Of Achievements or whatever and grab a bunch of platinum coins for having 2/4 party members and having taken 50/100/500 steps, or something like that. you might as well just unlock the arena to fight in, since losing != game over there, and some weird loving thing called The Infinite Beach where you literally pick up random poo poo that might be OOD.

i like to break things ok. don't judge me!!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

makes u think

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

i just reinstalled dungeonmans on a whim and got an item that indicates it's madjackmcmad's birthday today! well if that's the case, happy birthday and thanks for dungeonmans, duder

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

zirconmusic posted:

thanks bruh

are you familiar with the music of hitoshi sakimoto (Final Fantasy Tactics, Radiant Silvergun, etc)? a lot of the boss music in Dungeonmans sounds similar and be it by inspiration or sheer chance, that's an insanely Good Thing™ and i really really like it.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

zirconmusic posted:

Yes absolutely, Sakimoto is one of my favorite composers! Jim and I were 100% on the same page with the whole OST in terms of references and inspirations. I've worked on some fairly big game soundtracks over the years but I actually put more time, effort and love into Dungeonmans than anything and wrote a ton of stuff because I enjoy that style so much.

Also did you know you can listen to the soundtrack here and maybe buy it if you like it

https://zirconstudios.bandcamp.com/album/dungeonmans-original-soundtrack

The fun you had making the soundtrack really shines through! you both have immaculate taste.

ToxicFrog posted:

How did I not realize before that zirconmusic is the Zircon :psyduck:

same!!!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Stelas posted:

I'm sure I've tried that at one point and someone said it had changed or something? The only comments I can find are 'any character should be able to pick it up' and a forum thread where a guy was using guns but scooped it up. Oh well, gotta have the secret club.

the secret hubbub around the berserk items still makes me frowny to this day, i don't care how dumb it is!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Floodkiller posted:

"If you do decide to play DoomRL, and come across the "Dragonslayer": you need to be berserk, have multiple levels of Brute and empty inventory (including worn armour) to pick it up, the actual DoomRL community makes a stupid secret out of this"

this post came in hella handy not fifteen minutes ago, so cheers for that. the rest of the game just kinda dissolves after you pick that thing up, huh?