Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
The tiles are the most incomprehensible part of tome4 for me. I respect the work put in to make a billion different tiles and I like how detailed they are with status effects and such but they just blend so much together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

Johnny Joestar posted:

to expand on my earlier post: i think tome4 is a neat as hell game and i support the wide variety of poo poo going on at any one time, but the flipside is that it all melts together in my brain too quickly for me to get much indepth playtime out of it

there's a reason why i tend to stick to roguelikes like infra arcana or doomrl that are more pared-back, or caves of qud where the focus is at least pretty well-defined

I feel pretty much the same; can you expand on that list for me?

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Stark Fist posted:

plugging Golden Krone Hotel again as a good stripped-down roguelike. it's in the vein of DCSS.

Sold after reading their sales pitch on Steam. Also checking out The Ground Gives Way and Infra Arcana, thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

After a couple of hours of Noita I really like it. The physics and sand-like feeling of the environment is a great mechanic and doesn't feel gimmicky at all. Clearly a lot of thought put into it.

My main issues right now are the number of ways in which you can hurt yourself vs. the number of ways in which you can heal yourself. When accidentally stepping into a puddle of acid can drain your health significantly, and you can only heal when you finish the level, it can become a battle of attrition quickly.

Also the wand/spell system is deeply confusing and the game doesn't really do anything to explain it.

Still really fun and I'll keep playing it, but hasn't grabbed me with the "one more run" feeling yet. Right now when I die it's more like "Ahhh gently caress. I need a break." then fire it up again 20 minutes later.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Is there a roguelike with satisfying combat? For all their depth and great gameplay, I often feel like there's a lost opportunity for immersion when I attack that huge ogre and it feels like entering a row in a spreadsheet.

I don't need much either. I'm not talking about something like how Dead Cells has really satisfying combat, but just a little visual oomph. Something that makes an attack feel like an attack.

Edit: Cogmind definitely has the right idea with the animations and explosions and all that.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 29, 2019

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Finally tried Dungeonmans after buying it years ago. What a great game.

How do you favorite items? There's a favorite items tab but I can't figure out how to mark items as such.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Right-click on the item and choose "lock item". "lock" and "favorite" are interchangeable terms.

Ah, thanks. Is there a keyboard way to do the same? I love this game particularly for how smooth it is to play while keeping my hands almost entirely on the home row. It's like RSI therapy.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

What do these bobbing arrows mean on my Dungeonmans? Haven't seen them before.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Back from giving Caves of Qud yet another chance, and again I come back with the impression that there's a magnificent game there underneath a dogshit unusable UI. I have no idea how anyone can play this, it's like the UI is trying to be as convoluted and inconsistent as possible. Even for a roguelike UI this is an impressively tall pile of poo poo.

Like, moving the sidebar automatically to the right or left side of the screen is the stupidest UI decision I can imagine. Why of course I like to not have a consistent place for important information in my interface! Please, move it around based on my actions that imply no intent whatsoever in making changes to the UI. Such a programmer thing to do. "Look at your sidebar. It is either on the left or the right side of the screen, depending on where your character is in the world. That's a normal thing to design for humans."

Edit: The prerelease overlay UI just adds a second layer of poo poo, with more stupid inconsistencies and boneheaded decisions. And good luck decoding the programmer terminology when trying to configure what can be configured. Some options override others; sidebar is also combat log and also "stage UI" but turning on the stage UI ignores whatever setting you chose for combat log and like four other checkboxes. And is a new lovely overlay, but instead of jumping around it just stays overlaid on the screen so now your character is occluded whenever you move to that side of the screen.

I'm sorry for getting so worked up about this, I just really want to experience and enjoy this game but it's designed to make me hate it.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 9, 2020

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Tagichatn posted:

CoQ has a UI revamp coming up so maybe you want to wait for that. I'd try enabling the overlay UI in the options though, I believe it doesn't have the left/right sidebar.

I added some edits; the overlay UI is somehow worse. There you can choose between a fixed overlay sidebar that always covers a side of the screen, or some weird floating combat log / sidebar that shows a seemingly random number of lines, weirdly shifted towards the horizontal center of the screen, and only allows for vertical positioning.

All I want is the old UI with a sidebar that does not stupidly try to be smart by jumping around when I move my character from one tile to the next.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah this definitely bothers me more than most people for some reason. The best thing I could configure was this, where the combat log is either a few lines on the far left side of the screen, or a few lines slightly right of center of the screen depending on where I happen to be moving. And I can only move it up or down, no more customization possible.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

At first I had the same issues with that, where the sidebar jumped around but moving the window and/or resizing it disabled that. This is the best I can come up with, and I think I can live with this. The bottom left part will just have to be occluded by the combat log, I'll much rather live with that than having the UI travel places.

Edit: Oh god the combat log box started moving around again. This is like some cruel joke.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 9, 2020

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

I actually have few problems with Nethack's UI; it's convoluted but consistent about it. Same with Crawl, haven't played ADOM in any capacity yet though.

In any case I gave up on Qud for now and switched to CD:DA instead, and boy is that an ascii user interface that is a joy to use.

Edit: Also want to compliment Dungeonmans on a very well designed and polished UI.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 10, 2020

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

bees x1000 posted:

Opinions are funny things, I would never use "CD:DA" and "joy" in the same sentence, about anything, ever. That game is impressively unfun. The amount of work the those devs put into misery systems is noteworthy.

Opinions indeed are, because I mostly agree with you. Having played it most of the day while sick at home, it's impressive in scale and depth, but not particularly fun to play. The UI however is well designed for an ASCII game, in that it follows its own rules consistently and makes it fairly easy to figure out how to do what you want to do.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

DCSS: Is there any mod or option or flag I can do to get damage numbers? I get the idea and philosophy behind not becoming a numbers grind, but I am a slave to them and would like to have them regardless. Or at least try out that flavor of the game if possible.

Edit: Also, what I would give for a tiny effect of some kind that makes attacking feel more like something is happening. I get that ASCII characters can't shake or move outside their box, but even a little blink effect on the @ when attacking would be much better than nothing.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 10, 2020

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Unormal posted:

i put in a little pin button that lets you pin the prerelease stage message log so it stops flipping sides for the next beta patch so we can stop talking about it

This makes me very happy and I can't wait to try it out.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

More UI nagging: I love the vibe and atmosphere of Door in the Woods, and have tried to get into it but it has a very weird "sometimes keyboard, sometimes mouse" UI philosophy. Like you can control some basics with keyboard, like movement and selecting items, but then to actually do something with them you are required to use the mouse. This goes to some weird places where the death screen has a continue button, and nothing on the keyboard will trigger it. Enter, space, escape, you name it. You have to put your hand on the mouse and click the button.

It's the exact opposite of say, Dungeonmans or DCSS which are clearly designed to be enjoyed fully with the keyboard but then support mousing on top of that.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Unormal posted:

Ok 201.26 up on beta, click the little dot to turn it red on the prerelease stage message long and it won't jump around anymore. (You still have to position it each game, but I'll fix that to save position as an eventuality)

Thanks so much for this; I finally managed to grok the UI well enough to break the game's surface tension. I'd also like to apologize for my very harsh words about the UI. It's a bit janky but not worthy of being called, ahem, "dogshit".

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

A few weeks ago I had another stab at a few Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup runs like I do once a year or something, and for some reason I made the decision that I was going to actually beat this game. Just felt that I could actually see myself winning if I just never gave up and kept trying. Saw it so clearly.

So I kept at it, and really dove into internalizing the systems and mechanics of the game, and understanding exactly what kind of Minotaur Berserker I wanted to build and what equipment I was looking for, what tactics to use against which monsters in which branches, which branches to go in which order, etc.

And when I had done that, I internalized the true deeper lesson that lets you win the game; that it's very easy to play it safely and strongly by following a few simple rules. The hard part is that you have to always follow them, always, always, yes always. Every time. That's the skill I was practicing the whole time. To stop giving my concentration time off and deciding that it'll probably be fine to hit that red Ogre even if I only have 20hp. Mindfulness in a sense.

The road was bumpy, and I almost gave up after a glorious run where I started cruising more and more through the path towards the final stage -- where you've collected enough runes in other levels of the game to open the door to Zot, a hellish place where you delve down and grab an orb, and then all you have to do to win the game is to make it back up to the door where you entered the game at dungeon level 1. Like being at the final 400m lap at the end of a marathon.

I cruised through Zot and was blinded to the overconfidence that I was building. I also let emotions take too much control, and rushed stupidly fast through obviously extremely important decisions that decide how I'm going to feel about how I spent the last seven hours of my life. In a loving turn-based game. Like loving why. But I did and grabbed the orb and made rushed and stupid decisions that caused me to be stunned and surrounded by fire demons half way through my escape out of the dungeon. About three turns after I allowed myself to believe that this was really about to happen, that I was going to win this game.

Wasn't really emotionally devastated or anything after that, just like "Well that... yeah ok. Okay. All right. Off to bed." And took a few days off but felt that calling again and continued banging my head against that wall. And finally hit another perfect run, and was so god damned mindful of every step I took in the end game that I forced myself to go to bed before the final push, so that I would have a clear and fresh mind. So yesterday morning, I got up, mentally psyched me up at what could very realistically happen if I stayed focused on it, and grabbed the rune, did smart things instead of stupid things, knew more about escape tricks to use and when to use them, etc. And carefully walked with the rune all the way to the top and only actually allowed myself to believe when I was standing on top of the exit and only needed to press < to win the game. And felt kind of unreal. Was this really happening?

And man, what a feeling of accomplishment it was. Unlike any game I've ever finished. More like mastering a new skill or learning to play a song on a new instrument. It's been weird to realize how much beating this stupid game has unironically mattered greatly to me. Yeah, but so what. This was a mountain of mine.

Anyway next goal is winning with anything other than Minotaur Berserker.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 27, 2020

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Reading that work of art did actually get me to fire up DCSS once again some weeks back, leading to the win. What a great thread.

Edit: That's the one, careful it has some weird and NSFW parts.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 27, 2020

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Not downplaying any other fantastic roguelikes, but Cogmind is such a hugely deep and lovingly created work of art. I've never persisted for so long in trying to get a game to "click" purely out of love of the concept and deep respect for the execution. Especially when I see the lone developer pumping out update after update and posting four hour long gameplay videos.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Could even put the mode selection in a terminal that spawns in the initial safe zone when a run starts. Like you're hacking the game or something.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Make every item pickup a lootbox event where you sometimes get the option to choose a significantly better and fancier item that costs 99c. Like a Diablo 2 unique, golden text something etc.

Or you can subscribe to platinum for $9.99/month and get unlimited golden items for free.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Dungeonmans is overall my favorite roguelike. I've tried most all of the notable ones and love many of them, but this is the one I've had the most pure fun with. It's just great.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Playing and enjoying Loop Hero I wonder what a Slay the Spire style game with randomized/auto battles would look like. Let me pick my cards and items but each fight is up to RNG.

The concept reminds me of why I like Football Manager; it's liberating to only be responsible for picking and managing the team but each game is up to my players.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 20, 2021

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

I totally played Noita with mods to make it easier.

This sounds like the solution for me, which mods did you like best?

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Is Stoneshard a game by now? I remember checking it a year ago and realizing that it was the earliest of access.

Also I will never skip an opportunity to recommend Dungeonmans.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Serephina posted:

Armour aka Defense is a flat reduction in physical dmg; evasion, vampire, and counterattack should be self explanatory (evasion capped at 75% iirc); and there's some last-minute stapled-on stamina system I can't make heads or tails of, but is mostly there to stop abuse atk speed buff stacking? I dno.

It's weird they call the stat Defense literally everywhere except that one time where it's called Armor, with no explanation.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Jedit posted:

Don't do this - restart instead. I rolled my progress over and the Lich now has 1700HP and is hitting for over 200 before Palaces. It's completely impossible to beat, whereas I could beat it regularly in the demo with a weaker village.

Interesting. I rolled my progress over and the Lich killed me in five hits or so. Never had a chance. How does the Lich scale with village strength?

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

The dyslexic font option in Loop Hero looks gorgeous. I'm in love with this font.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Wow, Loop Hero looks as good visually as it is terrible to play.
If you make the whole game about non-stop grinding at the VERY LEAST you could not waste my god drat time and put an x10 speed option in there or something.

Until they add the option you can edit the variables.ini in the game folder and set the base game speed to whatever you like, e.g. upping it from 60 to 120 results in the in-game speed toggle essentially going between 2x and 4x speed.

Also speeds up the fights which is a great bonus.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 6, 2021

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

beer gas canister posted:

Necrodancer's the only one I can recall that does allow you to pull stuff out of the item pool between runs

Dead Cells is another one I believe.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

CRAYON posted:

This would also #1 on my list because then at least I can try out the game comfortably.

If a roguelike doesn't have HJKLYUBN support, at least as a selectable option, I just bounce on it nowadays. I cannot be assed to thoughtfully remap the entire control scheme for a game I haven't experienced.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

In mobile news, Shattered Pixel Dungeon is finally a thing on iOS.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

I've made many attempts at getting Into the Breach but every time I end up in a motionless stare for 10 minutes while I mentally calculate which moves cost me the least damage.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

I've read that ToMe is about scanning equipment for those one or two stats you care about and ignoring the rest, and now that I'm actually playing the game I'd like to know more about what it means. As a dwarf bulwark, what kind of item modifiers / stats are important to me and which are trash?

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

it's been ages since I played a bulwark because it's the most boring class in the game but as I remember them(in no particular order):
kill stuff:
higher weapon damage
physical power
physical or all damage modifier
str, dex
physical crit and crit multiplier
physical or all resistance penetration
armour penetration

don't die:
con, dex again
hp or die at
armour
crit shrug
all elemental resistance

this seems like a lot but the trick is not bothering to care about the differences between things in the lists. get as much kill stuff and as much don't die as you can. if you can't kill stuff, add more kill stuff. if you die or almost die, add more don't die.

this approach won't work on higher difficulties but you can absolute win Nightmare reliably with this thought process

Thanks. I picked Bulwark to get kind of a baseline experience so boring is fine at this point.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

I'm setting up my linux server with roguelikes that can be run in terminal via SSH, what am I missing from this list?

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

SettingSun posted:

Put TOME 2.3.5 on there and you’ll be my hero.

Well that was easier than I expected, usually things never build without error on first try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

It sometimes feels weird that I have a gaming hobby that is so niche that I have tried or know of... pretty much all that exists. Not including 7DRL projects and such. It's just such a finite list. There's no discovering anything, aside from the rare new release. No other hobby of mine is like that.