Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
To whom it may concern: you can now preorder Crypt of the Necrodancer! For pre-ordering, you get a 10% discount ($13.49 from $14.99) and a Steam key when it releases. That's right. Crypt of the Necrodancer's coming out on Steam. :allears:

They tweeted that they'll probably add another pre-order option to include the OST, so you might wanna wait a few days if you're interested in that.

Also, they updated the site to include a cinematic trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CENF14Iloxw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

uPen posted:

I would pre-order this in a heartbeat but it's probably not going to go up on steam until it's actually out. :(
Yeah, they said it will probably only be available for pre-order on their site. :(

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is it a thing to avoid using statues to buy stats or is there a way to gain so many levels?
There's experience up accessories, but basically, yeah, you just don't buy stats at statues. You get more points at the end of a game for having more levels, and nothing for having more stats (except making it easier to kill things), so it can be better just to save them.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

drink_bleach posted:

I only ended that run because I thought there was no end; however, when I got advice it told me "You almost reached the end", I'm not sure if that was trolling me, or if at some point it stops generating and there is an actual end to reach.
There is an actual end of the world at 2000km with an actual prize and an actual ending epilogue which is pretty important if you want to get the True End.

This is hearsay but I think that after you reach it the first time, when you go back it asks if you want to stop at 2000km, you can say no and keep going and it'll ask you at 3000, 4000, 5000, up until 10000km.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Just a reminder that we do have a One Way Heroics thread out there :)

drink_bleach posted:

Since you apparently know and I can't find any info on the net about this game. Mind telling me how to get the True End?

I went to 2000km and the game ended with a win I guess without fighting the devil?

Then I unlocked very hard by beating the game with every class, then I beat the game on very hard difficulty and got some special epilogue. Is that the true end you are referring to above or is there still more for me to discover in this game?

This post is pretty much the One Way Heroics Full Guide To Spoilery Things so unless you're drink_bleach you might not want to hover over this stuff.

Actually, I'm just gonna stuff all this spoilery information behind a pastebin link because this isn't really the OWH thread so it'd suck for people who haven't played it yet to accidentally scroll over it.

The pastebin link is here.

There is a spoileriffic wiki out there, but it's in Japanese, so that's probably why you couldn't find it.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 2, 2014

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Heads up, Crypt of the NecroDancer, the rhythm roguelike, releases on July 30th on Steam for $15.

You can also get instant access now if you donate $100 to a thing they're doing called the NecroThon - charity drive/livestream competition thing, $75 goes to charity and $25 to the casters.

quote:

PLEASE NOTE: We are very aware that $100 is an insane amount to pay to get a game just a few days early! NecroDancer will be sold via Steam for only $14.99 on July 30th, which is very soon :) We'd like to ensure that you're aware that none of the money raised during the NecroThon is being kept by the NecroDancer team! 75% goes to the charity pool and 25% to the prize pool for the casters themselves (after payment processing fees are subtracted). If you'd like to support the NecroDancer team themselves, please buy the game on Steam on July 30th. Thank you!

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Crypt of the NecroDancer now available on Steam! $14.99 for the base game, $24.99 for game+soundtrack.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

RoboCicero posted:

It's kind of real-time with the way the dungeon takes a turn every beat,
FWIW, for other people, even though Cadence's playstyle is superior, there's another playable character that turns it into a regular roguelike so you can just ignore the beat, although why you'd do that is beyond me.

There's also two other unlockable characters at the moment, obtained by clearing Hardcore mode (no persistent upgrade effects) with at least four more to come.

edit: Some walls have blue specks on 'em, if you dig them out you can find diamonds.

Also, the shopkeeper is the best :3: I dunno what it is but just having an NPC singing along to the music every stage is great.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 30, 2014

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Here's a trick I found: bombs will destroy shop walls, and each wall destroyed drops 10g. If you plop a bomb in a corner you can get 5 tiles for 50g per bomb, so if you've got excess bombs or you're on stage X-3 it can be really good. In Zone 2, the shop has mushrooms in the corners, some of which explode, so you can do the same thing for free.

Sometimes the shopkeeper sells 3-packs of bombs for 60g - if you destroy three corners, you get 150g, so as long as you can get enough to buy those initial 3, you'll make 110g profit easy.

Also, if you see a cracked wall (other than cracked shop walls), break them down with a bomb or a Titanium-or-better pickaxe for a surprise :)

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The shopkeepers singing along to the music is hilarious and will never stop being so :colbert:
It's really the best... but it doesn't work with custom music :(

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 31, 2014

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

straight jerkers posted:

I have no ability to deal with red dragons :smith:
If you unlock it at the Bossmaster you should be able to figure it out pretty quickly.
Firstly, they only fireblast horizontally.
Secondly, they only move/attack on every second beat, generally, excepting the below fireblast behavior.
Thirdly, the first beat you get into horizontal range, they charge a fireblast, then the beat after, they fire it. They skip a beat after firing before moving again.
Using this, you can exploit the AI pretty easily: stand directly above or below one and wait for it to get into melee range (assuming you only have 1 range). Attack, move away, attack, move away until you hit a wall. Once you hit the wall, move to the side so the Dragon charges a fireblast at you, then move away from the wall so you're 1 tile diagonally away from the Dragon. The turn you move onto the diagonal tile, it will breathe fire. On the next beat, move back above or below it - the dragon will skip this turn. On the next beat, the dragon will attack, so move away, then attack, then move away.. If you have access to a bow, crossbow, spear, longsword or broadsword this is even easier since you can just run more than one tile away and plink at it, or smash it from the diagonal tile.
Just make sure that when you run out of space and dodge to the side you actually have room to move back towards where the dragon was chasing you (watch out for pillars in cramped rooms).

One cool fire dragon trick: its breath kills the shopkeeper :ssh:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

To deal with goblins, I chase them into a corner so they're one or two blocks away, then I turn away and dig a wall or something to get them to approach for the last step. (You can also just stand in place, but that'll make you lose your multiplier unless you have the ballet shoes).
War Drum and I think Crossbow reloading let you stand in place, if you have them.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 31, 2014

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Solution: don't make a mistake! :eng101:

If you can clear Zone 3 (which you should be able to before diving into Hardcore), then Zone 1 monsters' patterns should be trivial. I don't think anything in Zone 1 can one-shot you except maybe Spike Traps and maybe a Dragon or Minotaur?

You can also find hidden shops in the cracked walls which can sell glass gear (for coins), upgrade your gear (for coins), sell you gear to permanently take away a heart (er, might not solve your problem), or dump you in a cage with two minibosses (black teleporter) which gives you a choice of items after you kill 'em.

Another strategy is to use offense as your defense; typically, everything requires being in melee range to damage you (some zone 2 or 3 mobs can hit you diagonally, I think a certain Zone 3 mob can hit you from two spaces away, and of course Dragons or Death Metal using Fireball/Ice Breath); bows, crossbows, spears and longswords give you an extra tile of survivability, and if you can find glass weaponry, it'll one-shot everything except Minibosses which'll take two hits and mobs with "invulnerability periods".

willus posted:

Crypt of the necrodancer crashes after the first load screen, and I'm already hooked by the music :( Anyone else run in to this?
I can't help, but speaking of music, they're all at \Crypt of the NecroDancer\data\music\ :ssh:

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 1, 2014

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

straight jerkers posted:

The unlockable characters will have even less health. iirc one starts with 1 heart and another is always stuck at a half heart and also instantly dies if you miss a beat. :lol:
The Wiki says this about the (current) unlockables:

quote:

Aria:
Cadence's grandmother. She can only use the dagger for a weapon and starts hardcore modus with 1/2 heart. She can not gain additional hearts. Missing a beat with Aria instantly kills her.

Bolt:
Bolt has access to all items and starts hardcore modus with a spear and 2 hearts. Bolt and all enemies move at double speed.
I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse :v:

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Put together a list of the secret characters and what they do :3:

code:
Cadence, Bard, Bolt and Aria: described in-game

Melody:
	One Heart
	Dagger Only

Dorian:
	Leaping Boots - move two spaces (up+down makes next movement one space)
	Mining Helmet - move into walls you dig
	Ring of Courage - move into enemies you kill
	Two Hearts
	Normal Weapons
Eli:
	No Weapons
	Bomb Spell - not sure how to recharge since you can't kill dudes with weapons
			lucking out and finding bombs lying around?
			(can destroy walls in lobby)
	Two Hearts

Ghost:
	Ring of Phasing - move through walls
	Half a Heart
	Dies on Missed Beat

Pacifist:
	No Weapons
	Crystal Shovel - dig any wall (except shops/bedrock)
	Mining Helmet - move into walls you dig
	Stairs Automatically Unlocked
	Skip Boss Stages
	Two Hearts

Thief:
	Ring of Shadows - low sight, invisible to shopkeepers (can steal their items)
			sprites are pitch-black (traps indistinguishable, enemies have colored eyes)
	Two Hearts
	Normal Weapons

Mage: 
	??? not available yet
If you wanna unlock 'em, pop open \Crypt of the NecroDancer\data\save_data.xml, and inside of the <game tag put this after charUnlocked0="1":
charUnlocked1="1" charUnlocked2="1" charUnlocked3="1" charUnlocked4="1" charUnlocked5="1" charUnlocked6="1" charUnlocked7="1" charUnlocked8="1"

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 3, 2014

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
I like to head for the shop since its walls are indestructible (except to bombs) so enemies have no choice but to path through the one-tile-wide doorway. Otherwise, you can dig holes between rooms and kite dudes around walls and stuff. I personally stay way way way the gently caress away from Yetis and handle them last, pulling all the other monsters really far from them, just because their move-and-aoe-burst every fourth beat completely screws with my pattern perception.

Also, get a spear or longsword if you can over a broadsword - broadsword can prevent your mobility with an enemy on the diagonal, it's harder to keep track of enemy's health and patterns if you have to worry about three spaces instead of just one (especially in zone3 where slimes, hellhounds, yetis, dragon can hit you diagonally), and the spear/longsword gives you a free hit on every-beat enemies without having to worry about being surrounded.

If you use any spells or blood weaponry, remember that the little fire cauldrons (and mushrooms in zone 2) do count as enemies for the purposes of recharging. Fireball can be incredibly useful, clearing massive waves of enemies at once.

I think 3-3 introduces Gray Goblins, which are horribly nasty versions of Purple Goblins: they have two health instead of one, and deal three hearts instead of two. If you see one of these motherfuckers, you better have a plan (Titanium/Obsidian/Glass weapon, Glass armor, ranged weapon, Fireball.. perhaps bombs will work though I haven't tried) or they will gently caress you up real fast. You can't just pull them in towards you like regular goblins since they'll take two hits.

edit: Cleared Hardcore for the first time in 23 minutes thanks to some stupid bullshit luck timing on a Ring of Charisma spawn. Here's a video if you have nothing better to do with half an hour and want to watch me sucking.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 7, 2014

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Stelas posted:

I'm so mad about 1st floor red dragons that come up to you when you still have a lovely dagger. I cannot for the life of me get the pattern down to deal with them.
Practice in the Bossmaster's room. In addition to what Slime said, if you need it, here's a little video guide to stabbing them in the face. i.e. practicing in the Bossmaster's room, but you should be able to realize the basic attack/dodge pattern from watching it.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 9, 2014

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Klaus Kinski posted:

Why isn't the soundtrack on spotify. :saddowns:

I paid $10 extra to not feel guilty for pirating the soundtrack :(
What's different about the Soundtrack version? I ask because the base game has all the stage music in the game folder as .oggs (and the shopkeeper voices under streaming_music if you want to overlap the two in Audacity or something, they fit together perfectly), albeit untagged. Is it higher quality or something?

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Games in completely different genres aren't roguelikes just because you only get one life, or because the levels are randomly generated.
And yet you can still tell exactly what he's asking for by "FPS Roguelike", so who gives a poo poo? Nobody wants to read half a page of people flipping out on a guy for not using the Technically Correct Term For A Video Game Genre either, yet here we are.

ed:

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

It's a good thing to do, so that we don't have to discuss garbage like Rogue Shooter or Rogue Legacy in the thread for actual roguelikes.
And yet Rogue Legacy is explicitly listed in the OP as an example so :confused:

quote:

If you are asking "Is it okay to talk about this game in this thread?" the answer is always YES.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 17, 2014

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Yep, pretty sure longswords are the best weapon.

That boss difficulty order's pretty funny since mine's the exact opposite: Conga Line is the hardest for me, mostly because there's so many enemy variants to keep track of while slowly whittling down the zombie horde and plinking the gorilla that constantly beeline for you.

For the chess one, which I think is easiest, I just hit everything that steps forward, all the pieces obey chess rules and take a couple beats to move (tilting when they're about to go), but anything that reaches the end of the board promotes to a Queen so you have to prevent that.

Death Metal doesn't have the annoying "kill everything else first" restriction so I find it a bit easier than Conga Line but I have yet to figure out when he's gonna cast Fireball and when he's gonna cast Raise Undead, although that's probably just due to a lack of practice. Having to worry about the shield is a little annoying but it gets eliminated after a few hits so it's alright.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Has anyone tried Invisible, Inc. [Steam, $19.99 $15.99 Early Access] yet? Apparently it's a stealth-based roguelike procedurally-generated turn-based strategy game with permadeath, multiple characters, endless mode or a ten floor campaign mode... Made by Klei, the same dudes who made Mark of the Ninja and Don't Starve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
The Groupees bundle's over here, but SanctuaryRPG is free to play anyways.