Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Excellent OP! I recommend moving the "Want to learn more?" section to the bottom though. It makes more sense to list the games then show people where they can find out more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

EvilMike posted:

For angband, you should mention NPPAngband which is one of the best variants out there, and is still developed. As far as I can tell it's more popular than most of the *bands you listed, so it's worth mentioning if only for that. As a bonus, the next version will also lets you play NPPMoria, which is probably the only reasonable way to play Moria these days. In terms of gameplay, NPP stands for "no pet peeves" and NPPAngband is basically about removing annoying stuff and adding cool stuff. Overall it's still Angband, but more solidly designed imo. NPPMoria on the other hand is very conservative - basically it's just the original Moria ported to the NPPAngband engine, which is good because there's no way you're getting the original game to run on modern systems.
What's the feature list on this?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Submited for the approval of the Midnight Society....

UnReal World (thread)

Genre: Turn-based survival/crafting RPG
Graphics: Awesome LARP pictures and full tile-sprites. Highly recommended that you get this graphic mod!.
Platform: Windows, OSX, Linux.
Let's Plays: There's a lot, just google it on bing.

This has been continuously developed since 1992 by some dude living in the Finnish wilderness, which is appropriate because you get to play as some dude living in the Finnish wilderness. What started out as another fantasy roguelike blossomed into a hardcore survival simulation set in the Finnish iron age. There's a dizzying amount of detail and tasks available to you. You can stalk moose, hunt squirrels with rocks, chase deer with hunting dogs, set bear pit traps, skin animals, clean the hair off to make leather, tan hides in a multi-step and multi-day process (culminating in you beating the hide with a club over a log), set fishing nets, smoke meat in a smoke house for long-term preservation, build a cellar for even longer preservation, grow beans, make bean soup, eat random mushrooms, die, steal crops from village fields, chop down trees and float down the logs on a raft, build a baller cabin with a chimney and everything, dress yourself up in dead animal skins and hunt Njerpez raiders in their own home, chop up their corpses and eat their flesh, make cords out of their clothes in order to hang their meat for drying in the winter, put random herbs on your wounds and hope they help, freeze to death in the winter, and of course go skiing! The game also introduced a detailed wounding system before DF made it cool.

The game as you can see is quite detailed and very satisfying in how you're only tasked with surviving. While it's continually in development, it does suffer at the moment from lacking an end goal but in the works are plans to incorporate marriage and village building in the future, as well as dynasty hopping through your children.

I credit it for providing me with a great appreciation of the outdoors and the many skills involved. It's a great diversion when you just want to build poo poo instead of kill orcs.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 6, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

And another

Liberal Crime Squad

Genre: I don't know uhh squad-based guerilla simulator?
Graphics: Nope. 90% of the game is menu and text driven, with the exception of locations and certain ASCII "cutscenes"
Platform: Windows only I think, Linux source available.
Let's Plays: Google it on bing

Before Toady go the internet's lifelong admiration with Dwarf Fortress, he made a game called Liberal Crime Squad and gave the source over to another dude in 2004. This is exactly The Baader Meinhof Complex: The Game. You're living in a USA that's heavily dominated by conservative thought, and you're tasked with shifting public opinion (and eventually, government) through various antics. There's many ways you can go about doing this and that's the beauty of the game. You can rob banks, kidnap a CEO and try to convert him to a sleeper agent, raid army bases for guns, take over cable news broadcast, commit industrial sabotage, release prisoners en masse, tamper with juries, steal CIA secrets, even assassinate the president, or just quietly sit back and write articles for your newspaper. The learning curve is very steep but the interface is nowhere near as bad as Dwarf Fortress. It's a silly game that pokes fun at both sides of the political aisle (such as with gun-wielding liberal terrorists advocating for greater gun control) so anyone can play it. I confess I avoided it before because I thought it had an agenda, it's now one of my favorite games ever.

Make sure to get the latest beta version (as of Aug 2013: 4.07.3a) as it includes a recruiting screen that eliminates a large portion of the 'grind' found previously in the game. Brush up on your skills at the Wiki.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 6, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

my dad posted:

That link is going through Facebook, I assume you wanted to post this:

4.07.3a

Woops, thanks for catching that.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

But for serious, I'm a bit burned out in games that require loads of studying after playing EVE. What's a recommended roguelike that doesn't require a huge time commitment to even try to play? I'm craving something tough but relatively accessible. (and Nethack isn't quite cutting it :gibs: )
I definitely would not recommend ToMe as it still requires a decent time commitment. DoomRL fits the bill nicely, as you can finish the entire game in about 2 hours, and it's very easy to get started. It's Doom, so just shoot poo poo and dodge.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Please do write ups! I haven't played a bunch of these games, so if you like a game your writeup will almost certainly be a better sell job for the game than mine will.

Don't worry about looking for stuff like LPs if you don't want to. I can do that.

Great job handling the OP and keep us updated in the thread whenever you make any changes

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Jon Joe posted:

I've played a few roguelikes many times, primarily DCSS and Dungeons of Dredmore. I never get super far in these games though because the way I want to play - moving through things quickly - doesn't mesh with the slow, methodical play style the games require. I'd like a roguelike that I can complete in an hour or so. Any suggestions?

DoomRL on the easiest difficulty. Really though, you're asking for essential a non-roguelike. Mindless playing doesn't jibe very well with the genre.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

It doesn't matter if it's a small amount of money to each user, that's what class action suits are for. All that would need to happen (if it needs to escalate to this level) is for one user to lawyer up and claim to represent the entire 'class' of KS backers. Any backer that doesn't wish to sue or be represented by the lead can just opt out. Given the relatively small class amount though ($34k), a lawsuit, even a class action, would be highly unlikely anyways.

Again though, it would be far easier to just release a lovely game. I'm not familiar with any provision of law that says the game must be 'good'. There might be something in the uniform commercial code about 'good faith' representation or whatever.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 24, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I think that this really makes me appreciate the way Biskup ran his crowdfunding campaign. His bit on RL radio where he explains how they came up with the goal and talked about taxes, realistic salary expectations etc. It should be a must listen for developers. I'm constantly astounded by the kickstarter campaigns that don't seem to realize that a 20k kickstarter doesn't mean 20k in their pockets.

It helps that Biskup is the CEO of a software company.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

It's not really a "business expense" if the guy explicitly asks for "living expenses" so that he can work on the game in his free time unfortunately.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

CoQ sounds so rad just from reading the Water Merchant build

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I wish more trailers were as adorable.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

andrew smash posted:

Once you get a character rolling in tome you generally feel invincible until you smack into something that can kill you in two hits.
This is really the only reason I stopped playing the game. Normal gameplay will lull you into a deep sleep and then you die in two turns before you wake up.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

But then I don't get all my macros which I need to play on my laptop. :colbert:

Like what?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

You should mention this is made by Arcen, of AI War fame AND A VALLEY WITHOUT WIND so who knows

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 12, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I hate these loving "teasers", like all we give a poo poo about is that your game has a guy in armor.

...I'll buy anything he puts out. DoomRL is a masterpiece.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

DF got the idea for its detailed combat from UnReal World.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

That's all true but I don't know of any other roguelike that has a combat system as detailed, do you?

Closest I can think of is maybe IVAN.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

How complete is CoQ? I see it's still a beta but how much is missing at the moment?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Yeah, I'm a nethack hater too. Try DCSS online and see how other people play the game. It took me 400 deaths before I won on DCSS but that was my first roguelike. I can win a lot more consistently now.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

PureRok posted:

Anybody know a good zombie survival roguelike? I saw the Malastro one in the OP, but I was thinking something that was less going down in dungeons and just trying to survive in some sort of randomly generated world or something. Anything remotely like that?

There's also Neo Scavenger although it's less zombies and more post-apocalyptic survival.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

uPen posted:

hjkl is awful for about an hour and then it's the best.

Seriously. The primary benefit to hjkl is that your hands are already near all the pertinent keys. It works amazingly well for DCSS especially.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Incentives matter! I'm loving the avalanche of blurbs

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Holy poo poo

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Has there been any changes to ToMe's difficulty curve? 95% of fights are boring filler that provide no challenge and lull you into this false sense of security right before you get two-shotted by some random unique that has 35 levels in earthquake or something.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Stelas posted:

I just use a clearer tileset, which allows me to ignore or bump into 90% of monsters.

Is there anything besides the OldRPG Tileset? It'd be really cool if the Crawl tileset got translated to ToMe. The default one is way too "muddy".

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/11/wot-i-think-bionic-dues/

RPS really loved Bionic Dues, but says it'll take a bit of finetuning before it gets to AI War levels

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Bo-Pepper posted:

Also more than that. If I like Dungeon Crawl would I like ToME? Is it good?

ToMe has a lot going for it but the primary difference between it and Crawl is the lack of an ever-present danger. In Crawl you pretty much have to been on your toes throughout the game, you get some popcorn fodder but not much. ToMe is very different in that almost 95% of enemies are pure popcorn that present literally no danger to your character. Instead of just mini-bosses and set uniques (Sigmund, Boris, Pan lords, etc), ToMe also adds randomly generated uniques that until recently had no cap on their skillset. This meant that you could waltz through an entire level and then get two-shotted by a randomly generated unique that you didn't think to check that its skillset before you realized what was going on. Runs ended up being very anti-climactic, since you end up trying to figure out exactly how you died so suddenly rather than acknowledging your own mistake (as you typically do in Crawl).

If ToMe had Crawl's tiles and difficulty curve, I might be willing to consider it the best roguelike out there. The diverse skillset and play styles is very impressive.

Oh and ToMe's lore is overhyped. You'll run across so many letters and text that end with That Was the Last Entry trope.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I wonder how difficult it would be to convert the RL tileset used in crawl over to tome. The tileset is readily available here: http://opengameart.org/content/dungeon-crawl-32x32-tiles

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

omeg posted:

I don't get the complaints about ToME's original tilest, I don't mind it at all. I can't stand the oldrpg tileset on the other hand. Opinions!

I'm not a fan of either. The original tileset is good from an illustration standpoint, but the amount of detail crammed into the tiles is absurd. You generally want "iconic" graphics that makes quick enemy differentiation feasible. Crawl's tileset is a perfect example of quick differentiation, it does this by using the same pose within a class of enemies but differentiates them with very distinct and contrasting palettes. See for example Crawl's orcs:

Versus some ToMe's orcs (there's about 4 times as many orc tiles as Crawl):

There's a great deal more detail in ToMe, but it hurts rather then helps the greater priority of easing identification. Almost none of the orcs have the same pose, and differentiating them requires a close look at details since the task is not facilitated by distinct colors or other contrasting features. ToMe also has what I think too many enemy types but that's another issue. The Oldrpg tileset probably helps with identification with its clear art style, but it looks childish as hell.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I want to see if I can translate the Crawl tiles over to ToMe but they're set up different. ToMe has each unit tile as a separate file, while Crawl uses a huge sheet and presumably defines it by pixel location (i.e. Orcs = 23x73x33x103). What would be the easiest way to chop up the Crawl tilesheet into individual files based on the definitions found in game?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

EvilMike posted:

Crawl uses one png image per tile, when the game is built (if you are making a tiles build) it combines them into a few large spritesheets. If you want to see the raw tiles, download the sources and look inside the rltiles folder. If you want the latest version you should use git. Or for 0.13 you can download it off the official dcss website.

Oh this is great. I noticed that some of the tiles under rltiles folder don't have a black outline like they do in the spritesheet (orcs for example). Any clue to what's going on with that?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I started tonight translating Crawl's tiles over to ToMe but....holy gently caress there's a lot of them. There's 41 tiles for orcs alone in ToMe. It's mostly all doable without any new art, since we have the player dolls to work with, but some of the boss characters are going to need a lot of creativity.

I'm doing ok on my own, but bound to give up/never finish it without some crowdsourcing. Any volunteers? I'm just using Paint.net and it's working out ok.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I largely agree, but ToMe suffers from the opposite problem. It has plenty of detailed and unique tiles made, but there's way too many enemies to make ASCII a feasible method. ToMe has the 41 orcs mentioned, but also multiple kinds of "molds", canines, bears, and mice, all with no real significant distinction between the types.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

This is some of the progress I was able to make on the Crawl>ToMe tileset:

I'd love to play ToMe again with this tileset, but there's no way I'd be able to finish this on my own so I gave up.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is Sil 1.2.1 working for anyone?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Luceid posted:

Yeah, just downloaded Sil for the first time tonight and was coming here to say how much fun I was having. Is the game just not running at all for you?

Not sure what happened but downloading it again worked.

In related news, has no one noticed that the Graphic mode actually works?

The monsters aren't actually matched up properly (molds and wolves look like people for example) but the BMPs are available to be edited.

edit: You get spammed about how displaying hits doesn't work with tiles, but not sure exactly what's broken aside from that.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 13, 2014

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Just play your own music

Deaf Center - Pale Ravine is one potential choice for ambience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve5LC_QeCPo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm assuming the "Sword of Stars" was a typo?