Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS
Another possibility for the OP is Risk of Rain, which is a platformer roguelike-like based around surviving on an alien planet while everything tries to kill you.

The central idea of the game is that time equals difficulty, and so the longer you survive, the harder it gets, so you have to balance between rushing to the next level or sticking around to try to find items while more and more monsters pop up to try to murder and eat you. It's got a sufficiently merciless normal difficulty, as well as a hardcore mode that can be pretty brutal, and of course the usual permadeath.

Besides that, it's a class-based game where each class (six so far out of a planned ten) has four abilities. You level up, but that's just automatic stat increases, and your real boosts in power are from the huge number of items (many of the items and classes will need to be unlocked in the final release, but in the beta it's mostly just available so it can be tested immediately) that you buy from chests or gamble on from shrines or get from bosses when you kill them. One of the best decisions the devs made, in my opinion, was to make every item have a very clear and distinct effect, usually with a visual indicator to go along with it, so that you're not finding something and going "oh it's just a little damage boost", it's "aw yeah my shots all explode for extra damage now" or "I leave a trail of fire everywhere I go" et cetera.

The game had a pretty successful kickstarter campaign, and currently it's still in beta (which is paid, and more expensive than just preordering with no beta access), getting updates every couple of weeks, usually with a bugfix a day or two after each content update, and the devs have been very open about everything on the forums as they work on it. It was originally slated for release in August, but that got pushed back when the devs decided to include online multiplayer as well as the already planned local co-op, which basically involved redoing a lot of the code from the ground up. More features are still in the works, and the actual ending of the game isn't in yet, so you just loop through the levels for as long as you can survive currently, but the game already plays very well even in its current state.

Crimbo Hardstyle fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS

Klaus Kinski posted:

2 loops on normal in risk of rain!

They really need to normalize the power curve and randomize the map more for release.

It's worth noting that the release version will have more levels and an actual endgame condition, though it hasn't been announced exactly what that condition is yet.

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS
You might want to take a look at Teleglitch (which happens to be on sale for $3.25 right now even). You're a nameless worker who is the sole survivor in a huge research facility on a planet in the far reaches of space where something has gone horribly wrong, and survival is extremely unlikely.

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS
Risk of Rain, which I posted about back on the first page, is out on Steam now. It's a pretty huge step up from the beta. Tons of stuff to unlock, an actual ending, and there are supposed to be more content updates in the future.

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS
As far as I can tell, the $30 option is a 25% off four pack that isn't labelled properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS

superh posted:

It's probably not in the true-blue-grognard spirit of the roguelike thread to post about it - but Deathstate launched on PS4 today, which is still blowing my mind. Have some (US only) keys, thread!!

APT6-PDNC-4G65

I grabbed this one, thanks and congrats on getting your very cool game on ps4!